[Movies] Star Wars Ep. VIII has a name...

I do agree. It's too early to say anything about the movie, of course, but the title doesn't have a lot of panache. Not as 'active' as most titles up to now, and....Wasn't RotJ pretty much "the Last Jedi" anyway? I assume this means we'll see Luke fall, so that (once again) there's only one remaining...But we'll see.

With Ren on his way to Snoke, and that final scene in VII, I figured this one would be Jedi/Sith-centric. Let's just hope it's a fun ride.

With Ren on his way to Snoke, and that final scene in VII, I figured this one would be Jedi/Sith-centric. Let's just hope it's a fun ride.
Come to think of it, you know what might be interesting? A Sith version of Yoda's training. We know Kylo Ren is constantly battling with himself not to be "swayed by the Light Side," which is an interesting twist on Luke's inner struggle. Including a training montage from the Dark Side's point of view would continue that contrast.

See, everyone thinks this is talking about a person, it could be a change in ideology. The last Jedi could refer to the Jedi belief system being abandoned or radically changed, similar to how Luke's new Jedi academy abandoned the no emotion thing and became more grey.

Well, they've already
killed off Han
and Leia is now dead (by necessity). I fully think they will kill Luke off.
I actually think they intended to kill Luke off in this one and Leia in the last one. Whether or not they'll somehow reverse that or just do a two-for-one deal or something, I dunno. But I think it's fairly obvious they'll clear Luke off (eventually). Having Yoda or Obi-Wan around would've meant there was little reason to send Luke alone on his journey. With Gandalf around the trip to Mount Doom would've been a lot easier. You get inspired/mentored/taught, then you have to go complete your own journey.

I actually think they intended to kill Luke off in this one and Leia in the last one. Whether or not they'll somehow reverse that or just do a two-for-one deal or something, I dunno. But I think it's fairly obvious they'll clear Luke off (eventually). Having Yoda or Obi-Wan around would've meant there was little reason to send Luke alone on his journey. With Gandalf around the trip to Mount Doom would've been a lot easier. You get inspired/mentored/taught, then you have to go complete your own journey.
But, hopefully, we'll get to see Luke in all of his Jedi Knight glory before he is cut down.

I mean, they can keep Luke around IMO. If taking down the First Order and Knights of Ren was a single jedi job, Luke would have done it already. It's not unreasonable to assume that he'll need help or just not be in his prime after hiding out for so long and take more of a backseat role.

Personally I think The Last Jedi might refer to Luke no longer looking to rebuild the Jedi order. I think he might be realizing that a select group of force users have been putting the galaxy into a constant state of warfare for who knows how long. His family alone has had a major hand in the last three major conflicts in the last ~60 years.

Great, now you won't be able to refer to RotJ as Jedi any more without sowing confusion.

Also, the Jedi need to plan their return better next time.

Is that even still canon?

--Patrick
It's from Return of the Jedi; why wouldn't it be canon? The new canon only throws out the hundreds of media pieces that include TV specials, novels, comic books, and video games. It keeps the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy, and anything Disney likes post-purchase.

It's from Return of the Jedi; why wouldn't it be canon? The new canon only throws out the hundreds of media pieces that include TV specials, novels, comic books, and video games. It keeps the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy, and anything Disney likes post-purchase.
I think the Clone Wars cartoons are considered canon too.

And Star Wars Rebels has 3 other Jedi hanging around the day before the Battle of Yavin.
To be fair, Yoda has mega incognito, so he had no way of knowing a guy that barely finished his training was still around, and got his own padawan.

And does Ashoka count, since she left the Order like Dooku did?

I just finished watching the first 6 Star Wars movie with my wife. Now she gets to see Force Awakens for the first time with me. Then we can watch the Rogue One as well.

Let me tell you, looking forward to this movie, no joke.

The last 3 movies were hard times.... especially Phantom Menace... it's REALLY as bad I remembered, no exaggeration. Fuck Jar Jar.
The last 2 movies picked up a bit but until Anakin turns into Dark Vader, Hayden Christensen's wooden performance are truly awful.
The way the movie is cut and how stale the acting is is very noticeable.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just finished watching the first 6 Star Wars movie with my wife. Now she gets to see Force Awakens for the first time with me. Then we can watch the Rogue One as well.

Let me tell you, looking forward to this movie, no joke.

The last 3 movies were hard times.... especially Phantom Menace... it's REALLY as bad I remembered, no exaggeration. Fuck Jar Jar.
The last 2 movies picked up a bit but until Anakin turns into Dark Vader, Hayden Christensen's wooden performance are truly awful.
The way the movie is cut and how stale the acting is is very noticeable.
Aw man, if you had let us know you were doing a rewatch, I'd have recommended watching the Anti-Cheese fan edit of Phantom Menace, and the despecialized editions of the main trilogy. Also I'd have recommended watching them episode 4-5-1*-2-3-6 order, aka the "flashback" order, (with 1* being the anti-cheese edit) to keep the "I am your father" reveal a surprise and help things develop more smoothly.

Aw man, if you had let us know you were doing a rewatch, I'd have recommended watching the Anti-Cheese fan edit of Phantom Menace, and the despecialized editions of the main trilogy. Also I'd have recommended watching them episode 4-5-1*-2-3-6 order, aka the "flashback" order, (with 1* being the anti-cheese edit) to keep the "I am your father" reveal a surprise and help things develop more smoothly.
Actually, I did watch 4-5-6-1-2-3 now I'll watch 7 and 3.5?

And yes, I'm aware of the edited version and respect them but I haven't seen 1-2-3 since their release. I wanted the masochist in me to feel that pain.

1 was pretty brutal. 2 was better overall. Hayden had shit acting skills but McGregor/Lee made it better. 3 was the best of the 3, maybe it's because Anakin turned halfway into the movie and required to talk less. He probably started being less shitty as an actor by then. The score shines in 3 and the combat is great... except the one with Anakin/Obi Wan. It starts off great but for some reason Lucas needed to jizz out CGI on the lava acrobat shit that went on. It was senseless.

At least the Yoda/Palpatine combat made sense.

McGregor delivered at the end, loved his lines. The whole Padme dying was badly done and the meme classic of NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO really was pure shit. It started so well but they could have done so much... but the lame ass NOOOOOOOOOOOO killed the scene.

I know people had their qualms with 7 but I really liked it and after Rogue One, I think Disney can do Star Wars right or at least much better than Lucas did in the last 30 years he had the franchise.

The score shines in 3

McGregor delivered at the end, loved his lines. The whole Padme dying was badly done and the meme classic of NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO really was pure shit. It started so well but they could have done so much... but the lame ass NOOOOOOOOOOOO killed the scene.
Linking these two thoughts--John Williams wrote an excellent piece of music going through the finale of the birth, Padme's death, and Vader's appearance. I have the score and listening to that piece on its own, it's so powerful and emotional. It strengthens this set of images. And then ... "NOOOOOOOO" shits all over the crescendo, competing with it, and ultimately drowning out the music via the unstoppable laughter of the audience. Lucas was a fucking garbage director and a hack editor.

I know people had their qualms with 7 but I really liked it and after Rogue One, I think Disney can do Star Wars right or at least much better than Lucas did in the last 30 years he had the franchise.
^This guy knows what's up.