So, uh... did one of you mail me a Zen Micro?

. . . I don't know. I'm not counting anything. Your eye avatar just reminds me of the watching eye video they play during that song in concert.

But let's count some of these associations. Are you anybody's Big Brother?

. . . I don't know. I'm not counting anything. Your eye avatar just reminds me of the watching eye video they play during that song in concert.

But let's count some of these associations. Are you anybody's Big Brother?
No, though I was someone's Little Brother back in the early 80's.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I never figured out who sent it, or why.

But I started using it, just to see if it was any good.

Long story short - Meh. Not so great.

It needs a Mini (not micro) USB cable, which I haven't needed in, like, 10 or 15 years. It's slow and cumbersome to transfer music to it, and getting it to play music without using its proprietary software (which I refuse to load) was non-intuitive. The touchbuttons are fine, it's just the UI is reticent and alien. I actually had to go into the device's settings 3 menus deep to enable a "play all random" selection to appear, which should have been standard. I still can't figure out how to tune its FM receiver other than by attempting to let it autoscan-fill its presets and then jumping between them, which just gets me a bunch of presets full of garble and static.

And on top of all that, the sound is drastically inferior. Comparing it to my phone using the same aux jack and cable in my car, the same music coming from the Zen Micro is much flatter and seems to have much less dynamic range. The bass is weak, and while the sound isn't as "tinny" as some old MP3 players used to be, it is noticeably worse than a current gen smartphone. Even attempting to compensate using the Zen Micro's built in EQ helps so little it's almost indistinguishable.

Even the power button is inconvenient. It's a slide/switch that you have to slide and hold sideways for 5 seconds to get the thing to softswitch on or off. And the slide is RIGHT NEXT to the headphone jack, in probably the least convenient place. And to top it all off, the thing locked up on me today. Couldn't even power it off, had to pull the battery.

Soooo... I guess it's just good for a backup device for 6 gigs of music.