[Other] Site of the Site

As much as seeing the number of posts drop is hard, some good comes out of it. I've seen a lot more people that normally wouldn't have posted, post. More members would be nice, but I kind of like seeing some of these people who have been with us for a long time post a bit more.

Maybe I'm blind, but I haven't really noticed such a lack of good conversations here. I enjoy the various discussions, and while there are certainly a few that I can usually count on seeing a reply from, there are plenty of other people who just seem fairly new to me still. I took a year or two off from the site when life kinda put everything else on the backburner. But I definitely love this place and it's good to be "home".

doomdragon6

Staff member
My only contribution is that I pretty much only read the General thread and poke around in it. I don't bother too much with the others, but I'd read them if the posts were in General. But, that becomes messy.

Also, some threads get so long that I don't want to bother trying to get into them-- the longstanding threads that go on 50 or more pages.

Don't know any solutions, just my observations.

As for a gimmick, nothing can really work. This is seriously just like a community neighborhood/town that you drive through sometimes. It's possible it could grow. But for the most part, you live there, some people move away, some don't, and eventually the town is dead.

It happens. I think Halforums will be done one day. Not super soon, but one day. In the meantime, it's a place for people to come talk to people they kind of know.

For those that want the forum to look like one big general forum, consider the "new posts" link in the navigation bar. It's what I and many others use, almost exclusively, to keep up with all the threads in all the subforums.

https://www.halforums.com/find-new/posts

You can go into your user preferences and "turn off" those subforums you really aren't into, and they won't appear in the above link.

https://www.halforums.com/account/new-posts

It's not the only way to browse the forum, but it's probably the quickest and most complete way to see all the activity going on.

While I don't actually that we really need to go hunting for new membership right now, by which I mean right this very instant, and for reasons which I will endeavor to attempt to have time to go into detail about tomorrow, one thing we might consider is reinstating the retirement of really long running threads in favor of moving up to the next iteration of said thread. I know we used to cut things off at 100 pages due to server considerations and that we really don't need to worry about that anymore, but I really can't imagine what it would be like to come in here as a new person and attempt to jump into the conversation on a thread that's 128 pages long (Whine like a Baby) much less the two threads that are up over 300 pages (Random Crap and Funny Pictures). Plus, I did kind of feel like starting over on one of the big threads, especially one of the big picture threads, reinvigorated things because people would actually go seek out the best pics they could find to start off on a strong note. Besides, we have at least one more Minor Rant thread to go before we can subtitle one "Fistful of Hollers."

I feel similarly to a lot of others; I don't feel included or excluded. I'm just sort of here. I do think it's hard to break into Halforums. I only did because I lurked in Pez's cosplay thread for over a year and then he began talking to me, making me feel comfortable. But, if I had joined out of the blue, tried to figure out who everyone was and long running jokes, or long running threads, I would feel so lost. And would likely not stick around.

The easiest way I can think to say it is 'If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.' I feel scared away from posting in a few of the threads because of reading negative posts about something that I like. And so, instead of making a fuss about it, I just choose not to post - I can't take the heat, so I get out of the kitchen.

But, I do enjoy reading everyone's conversations and I honestly don't think I'll ever leave. I like you guys too much.

I am worried that a come across in a bad way? I generally feel like no one talks to me on here and I get passed over because I'm not the most exciting conversationalist. I will try to be better though, post more.

I wish I had some ideas that could be helpful, but the only thing that comes to mind is to have a sort of directory of the forumites. Maybe a link to the Wiki page (I still appreciate that my halforums wiki says I'm a genocidal war criminal, you guys are a riot.) or something? Just...a way for new members to have an easy way to get to know some of the better known members and a way to get a lot of information in one place?

I get rambly and had to keep starting over to write this post so I will try being more terse and to the point in my post(Some of my views already stated by others):

Reasons I like this place that have kept me here:
1) You guys filter the chaff out of my internet content for me so I don't have to look at reddit or 4chan. Yes even you 9gagbandit have my thanks! :) here is a present:

2)The topics on these boards are easy to follow and keep up with do to the non-enormous size of the community. This has the added benefit that the conversations are typically engaging conversations to read and not just a bunch of howling monkeys screaming at each other.

3) The moderation and administration is well done. It feels based more on spirit of the rule than letter of the law. There probably have been errors that have been made(I don't know as I am not privy to the full scope of the decisions) on how things are handled, the enforcement has never felt one size fits all. I consider this better then lets say Blizzard forums where even a minor citation can be a thread delete because of the amount of crap they have to deal with per hour. Honestly even if errors on the mods have been made usually the 'wronged' weren't being angels themselves. Knowing that a topic can get heated but not iced as long as it is kept within reason has appeal for someone who likes to follow things like the political threads.

4) The community here generally opens up and doesn't feel faceless. Most of the long time posters here project the fleshed out person they are rather than just Avatar+Name+schtick because they share their life experiences to different degrees. It makes the dialogue a lot of interesting knowing the different life roads people come from. This will be harder to cultivate in a much larger setting. Not even as a contributor but as a lurker. If I have to keep track of a 1000 users they will just be pictures with a name talking, they will be less a person and more a avatar for a viewpoint.

Figuring out a way to help newbies get into the discussions and activities of this community I think is more a priority then trying to siphoning people from the masses from a popular site. Slowly building up with quality is better to this forum's spirit than trying to throw as much against the wall and seeing what sticks. Figuring out away to tempt lurkers to participate and therefore feel a stake in community I would vote for. However I gave up on terseness after point 2 and I am now tired so I will have to help brainstorm tomorrow maybe.

p.s. If nothing else this post was really just an excuse to watermark GasBandit. Mission Accomplished.

I am worried that a come across in a bad way? I generally feel like no one talks to me on here and I get passed over because I'm not the most exciting conversationalist.
We're afraid if we talk to you, we'll wake up and discover the whole cute-smart-funny-girl-into-nerdy-things-and-not-a-diva is a dream, after all.*²

@MindDetective, @Far, @CrimsonSoul, @Frank: I've considered each of you as "more in-crowd" than myself on at least one or two occasions, or even fairly often.
While there is a bit of an "in-crowd" (though that really diminished after the chat-folks leaving drama, even though many of those who left were great people), I think one of the "strengths" of this forum - which may also be a weakness - is that we speak fairly familiarly with one another, even those we don't really know that well. Even with those we aren't very familiar with, we feel "at ease" enough to make jokes, to be a bit self-deprecating, to speak our mind frankly but also to show sympathy. I can imagine this comes off to newcomers as "these guys are all so incredibly close-knit, I don't really fit in" - even though they'd be accepted quickly and easily.
Some have a harder time gaining acceptance, but that's usually for other reasons (this forum is practically unique in not having a large contingent of 1337-speaking or txt-talking users who feel they own the place and can be as loud and obnoxious as they want - even the local youth (like Yoshi) are literate, and the foreigners too). This, while still not being too elitist/snobbish, to my feel.

Talking about new members, anyone seen or heard @tinabeebz lately? She seemed interesting, but I don't think she's posted since October or so.

*I do not mean this in any way negative to other female posters here who are also all of these things. If you're dreaming, might as well go plural ;)
²I do not mean this as anything more than jest, and any misogynism inherent in "women on the internet"-style jokes is meant entirely as a comedy device. Some of my best friends are women! I even date outside of my gender! I swear! :p

A middle of the night thought: a welcome thread where we introduce ourselves to new users instead of them just introducing themselves to us.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Zappit

Staff member
Maybe a stickied New Users Info thread? What's a Brazelton? What are the sub forums? Etc... Try to answer questions about the place new blood might have.

That's not a bad idea. We had (have?) a wiki, but honestly it's a lot to pour through. A stickied, frequently asked questions thread would do wonders, so long as we had volunteers who were newer to ask the questions, since those of us long-term lurkers/posters might not know what is now known, you know?

That's not a bad idea. We had (have?) a wiki, but honestly it's a lot to pour through. A stickied, frequently asked questions thread would do wonders, so long as we had volunteers who were newer to ask the questions, since those of us long-term lurkers/posters might not know what is now known, you know?

The Wiki is also so heavily laden with in-jokes that it's barely legible for newer readers. Honestly, trying to explain why we haven't simply perma-banned those idiots who like their steak well done can't be done in just 200 words. :troll:

That is, explaining why we throw in occasional lines about steak or frosty someones or someones prom night can be hard. That's in the nature of in-jokes, of course - and usually explaining them still won't make them funny.

No, a lot of the in-jokes will remain just that. Other stuff though...Brazelton, unusual resentment towards certain webcomic authors, etc...could be explained.

Just a thought.

Dave

Staff member
Good stuff here, folks! This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

What I'm hearing is:

• We cool, man. We cool. We don't really need to go a-hunting for new members.
  • Keeping the subforums separate is perfectly fine as we have the New button if we want to see everything.
  • Maybe institute a wipe or at least lock old threads based on time. This keeps things at least a little fresh. I personally prefer the lock option because if we wiped we lose a lot of the historical threads, like I'm currently going through Mikko's posts and I have found some more photos. Were we to have wiped these would be gone or at least difficult to access.
  • An "In-joke" thread explaining some of this stuff might be in order. Maybe I could implement and update the FAQ sheet.
@MindDetective might be right, all this talk lately about mortality has me worried about everything as a whole. I guess I sort of went through the same thing in 2011. But as long as YOU GUYS are happy, I'm happy. I mean, I'm not about to ruin the place to get a bunch of new people in when it's been YOU that kept it interesting all along. That would just be...dumb. I mean, what kind of person would just go and shit on his fans like that out of the blue? :troll:

So we'll keep on keeping on. But if you have anything you want added or moved or whatever, just do what Jay does and pester me until it gets done.

We're afraid if we talk to you, we'll wake up and discover the whole cute-smart-funny-girl-into-nerdy-things-and-not-a-diva is a dream, after all.*²

Talking about new members, anyone seen or heard @tinabeebz lately? She seemed interesting, but I don't think she's posted since October or so.

*I do not mean this in any way negative to other female posters here who are also all of these things. If you're dreaming, might as well go plural ;)
²I do not mean this as anything more than jest, and any misogynism inherent in "women on the internet"-style jokes is meant entirely as a comedy device. Some of my best friends are women! I even date outside of my gender! I swear! :p
Ha, you're very kind and make feel much cooler than I am. :awesome:

As for Tinabeebz, she went through an internet purge of sorts. She might still lurk, but she got a rid of a lot of her profiles on social sites, including her Tumblr. Just so you know.[DOUBLEPOST=1386087136,1386087083][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, yes, Dave, I think we're all pretty happy here and happy with the size of our family. :) At least, I know I'm happy and wouldn't want much to change here.

Like a bunch of you, I also don't feel like one of the cool kids, but I've always attributed that to self-esteem issues. I've even (sadly) tried to brand myself as "the science guy" so that I would stand out.

While it does feel like the community has gotten smaller, it also feels a bit more real now. It seems that there are less characters and more real people. I don't feel like any of you are putting on an act or trying to be something that you're not (internet tough guy etc.). That's refreshing and different from what it was in the past. I worry that would get lost if this place got much bigger.

What I do think that works to help feel like a part of the community is to just post and post often. The more I post, the more I feel like I am a part of the group.

Dave

Staff member
I've uploaded an addon (go figure!) that will lock threads over 120 of inactivity. There's one I want to get that will also lock on size, but it looks like it's by thread only, so it would have to be set up during thread creation, which is just wacky. Oh, and only a mod can set it up. More wackiness.

So if the site seems a bit sluggish, it's because of the cron job running. Oh, and in a bit I'll be going back in trying to find more N_R stuff for his parents, and that takes a toll on the DB as well, which may cause some performance issues. And if there's something a guy my age hates, it's performance issues.

What I do think that works to help feel like a part of the community is to just post and post often. The more I post, the more I feel like I am a part of the group.
Yup. I know I've oscillated a bit between postwhore and lurker, and right now I'm somewhere in between with lots of rating but fairly few posts... It really does make a difference. Typing out "yeah, I agree" is different from rating a post "like", which is different from just nodding along silently and carrying on.
Those who feel they lurk mostly and only rarely add anything to the covnersation because their replies are overlooked or ignored: just post away. No harm done, doesn't really take time, and people will grow accustomed to your face. You don't actually have to really open up too much - no-one forces you to put up your picture, shoe size and body weight. Or to talk about your feelings of depression. Or those feelings for your cousin or dog or aunt, whatever.
Post in the threads you like. Maybe join in a chorus of "yes"s or "sorry to hear it"s or whatever.

By the time you suddenly disappear, we'll all go "hey, where's [name]? I've grown accustomed to a trace of their small in the air, etc etc (oh, go look up the song, I'm tired)

Anyway, you shouldn't feel posting requires you to open up and say or do whatever. Even though it's tempting, ti's actually more fun to participate occasionally.

I'm one of those people who prefer to lurk - I usually visit daily (sometimes more than once/day) and read most of what's posted if I find it interesting, but I rarely post.

I'm more of the opinion that if I don't have anything to add to the conversation, I won't post, but occasionally I will, even create new threads if I find something that is post-worthy.

I've been with the forums since pre-PVP shutdown/purges and this is pretty much the only forum I frequent.

Yup. I know I've oscillated a bit between postwhore and lurker, and right now I'm somewhere in between with lots of rating but fairly few posts... It really does make a difference. Typing out "yeah, I agree" is different from rating a post "like", which is different from just nodding along silently and carrying on.
Those who feel they lurk mostly and only rarely add anything to the covnersation because their replies are overlooked or ignored: just post away. No harm done, doesn't really take time, and people will grow accustomed to your face. You don't actually have to really open up too much - no-one forces you to put up your picture, shoe size and body weight. Or to talk about your feelings of depression. Or those feelings for your cousin or dog or aunt, whatever.
Post in the threads you like. Maybe join in a chorus of "yes"s or "sorry to hear it"s or whatever.

By the time you suddenly disappear, we'll all go "hey, where's [name]? I've grown accustomed to a trace of their small in the air, etc etc (oh, go look up the song, I'm tired)

Anyway, you shouldn't feel posting requires you to open up and say or do whatever. Even though it's tempting, ti's actually more fun to participate occasionally.
By my cousin who is also a dog and my aunt is so hot...

figmentPez

Staff member
As for Tinabeebz, she went through an internet purge of sorts. She might still lurk, but she got a rid of a lot of her profiles on social sites, including her Tumblr. Just so you know.
Before she left Tumblr (which was after one of her posts got a ton of attention by being posted on Jezebel) she unfollowed me because I tagged a post #Misandry (which was actually in jest, for that post). I can't say I'm surprised that she hasn't stuck around Halforums.

I think many of us aren't quite sure how to talk to you, @LilKagsin , for fear of coming off as internet creepers *wry chuckle* Social anxiety/awkwardness has a place on the internet, when you actually care about what the other person has to say. Who knew?

Last edited:
I think many of us aren't quite sure how to talk to you, @LilKagsin , for fear of coming off as internet creepers *wry chuckle* Social anxiety/awkwardness has a place on the internet, when you actually care about what the other person has to say. Who knew?
I'm pretty sure she already knows everyone on this forum is an internet creeper :unibrow:

I've uploaded an addon (go figure!) that will lock threads over 120 of inactivity. There's one I want to get that will also lock on size, but it looks like it's by thread only, so it would have to be set up during thread creation, which is just wacky. Oh, and only a mod can set it up. More wackiness.
But what will Thread Necromancer do then? :(

Someone needs to caption "I see what you did there" on that picture..

On a more serious note though, I love this place even though I'm pretty much a hardcore lurker. Almost all my posts are "light" (as in funny, one off, non-committal, etc), because while I like talking about things, I can't muster the time or trouble to have an in-depth discussion, which most here do like. Which is fine, I like reading most of the conversations here and if it gets too long, I can just skip it.

My point however is, I still see a big, close family with no forseeable troubles of decline in the future. The forum has also become more open and friendly to outsiders, so people can just ease their way in without having to post like crazy. Word of mouth is still the best way I think, the same way as you would expand a family: by connection rather than just throwing some strangers in. As far as people leaving is concerned, apart from new people I sometimes also see the "really old" ones coming out of retirement, so that should balance things out as well.

I've honestly wondered if people either find me scary or are bothered by my peppy attitude.

The fact that you, or anyone, doesn't want to be a creep makes me feel completely at ease. Like, if anyone said anything to me that was uncouth, perverse, I would likely see it as bantering with me, not at me. Because I don't think anyone is here to creep at me. For real, you guys are all awesome. Big love from LilKags to all of you.

Yeah, but @LittleKagsin can't leave, I've got her outsourced baby, and the only way she knows how to contact me is through here.

PEEKABOO! Four days until he turns one:

D'aww, he looks like such a happy boy, I'm so glad I outsourced to you. Get him a birthday present from me. ;)

I find myself drifting between posting a ton and just lurking. I admit lately that I have been more on the lurking side due to work and a crappy internet connection at home. While I can see how this place may seem intimidating to some people (I even feel out of place in some threads) I also see that it will be something that is hard to overcome. If you have a group of people in one place the ones that have been there for a bit will start to form there own jokes and even culture to a certain extent. it happens at work, school, and many other places so it makes since that it would happen to an online community.

Now that doesn't mean it is a good thing but it does mean that it is going to be at least to a certain extent unavoidable. I think keeping some of the threads from getting to large and all of us trying to keep in mind that there are new people that we could do a bit to make things less intimidating to newcomers. But we also don't want to go so far into the extreme that we shatter the culture that we have created here. So I guess I am saying that changes need to happen but we should tread carefully.