Should I eat this?

Nifty. There are three of these in the breakroom. No one else is eating them, so chances are good they'll all end up in my tummy over the next week.

I've eaten one. As in, one wafer - there are still 8 more in this package.

These must be an acquired taste, and will be placed on my mental food shelf next to the vegemite. The scent, texture, and taste are very foreign to my mouth...

I've eaten one. As in, one wafer - there are still 8 more in this package.

These must be an acquired taste, and will be placed on my mental food shelf next to the vegemite. The scent, texture, and taste are very foreign to my mouth...
We've all been messing with you. In a country like Japan, where wood is scarce, these are the local variation used as toilet paper. :troll:

(no, not seriously - yes, they're an acquired taste, I usually find them a bit salty-ish too)

Dave

Staff member
They just don't look very good on the package. And that's where food usually looks the best.

But I'd try it. I tried Grass Jelly Drink and while not bad initially, it started to get less and less good with each drink. Not to mention the little bits floating around in it.

Hylian very generously left me an almost full container of spicy teriyaki nori snacks last year when he visited for a game of CAH. It took a while for me to warm up to them, but eventually I found it very delicious. It's definitely an acquired taste. Also, my favorite "weird Japanese" beverage is basil seed drink. It takes exactly like what a banana would taste like, if a banana were a vegetable.

I love Nori, but I agree with everyone else - it takes a moment to get used to them.

Try it again later. Personally, I like it best as something for nibbling, not so much wolfing down like a cookie.

They just don't look very good on the package. And that's where food usually looks the best.

But I'd try it. I tried Grass Jelly Drink and while not bad initially, it started to get less and less good with each drink. Not to mention the little bits floating around in it.

Hey! I have that computer.
I've also had grass jelly drink. The taste isn't that horrible, but I didn't like the muddy texture.

--Patrick

Mr. Z LOVES that stuff. I can't even watch him drink it. (Bleah)
I do like dried seaweed, though. And this amazing Tofu jerky my mother-in-law gets which is all in Chinese so I can't figure out how to find it myself.

t
Mr. Z LOVES that stuff. I can't even watch him drink it. (Bleah)
I do like dried seaweed, though. And this amazing Tofu jerky my mother-in-law gets which is all in Chinese so I can't figure out how to find it myself.

Tofu...jerky? You mean the dried tofu stuff?

Tofu...jerky? You mean the dried tofu stuff?
Possibly? It looks and tastes more like some kind of meat jerky, but it's tofu. I've had dried tofu before, but this is a particular flavor/style of it. I'll take a picture next time we have it, but I think she brings it back from Taiwan.

Possibly? It looks and tastes more like some kind of meat jerky, but it's tofu. I've had dried tofu before, but this is a particular flavor/style of it. I'll take a picture next time we have it, but I think she brings it back from Taiwan.
Would you say it looks kinda like this?

curd.jpg

Yeah I know what you mean then. They're called 豆乾 in Chinese, basically dried bean curds, and flavored with satay sauce or other flavoring. They're frequently sold in convenience stores as well as specialized stores.

As a minor aside, they're known as 豆干 in simplified Chinese, which can be back-translated as "bean fuck".

Yeah I know what you mean then. They're called 豆乾 in Chinese, basically dried bean curds, and flavored with satay sauce or other flavoring. They're frequently sold in convenience stores as well as specialized stores.

As a minor aside, they're known as 豆干 in simplified Chinese, which can be back-translated as "bean fuck".
Ok so it was exactly what I thought: 豆干。 I like the spicy variety the best. Then again, that pretty much goes for any chinese food I eat save for the occasional dongbei dish.