Export thread

Shooting at Batman Premier: Colorado

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Looks like there was a shooting at a Dark Knight Rises showing at Century 16 in Aurora, Colorado. Many dead. More injured.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Looks like there was a shooting at a Dark Knight Rises showing at Century 16 in Aurora, Colorado. Many dead. More injured.
Twitter feed has gone nuts over this. Watching CNN as I type this. Just awful.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

http://gma.yahoo.com/mass-shooting-...ople-dead-085940681--abc-news-topstories.html

It is a nightmare to have someone attack such a crowded, confined space.

AshburnerX reported this in the movie's thread. But let's split the discussion of the film from this act.

Dave

Dave

My biggest fear about this is not that it happened, but that it was so successful. This means that copycats will emulate it. I'm kinda surprised it didn't happen during a Harry Potter opening.

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

This is crazy. I just hope there aren't any copy-cats.[DOUBLEPOST=1342784170][/DOUBLEPOST]
My biggest fear about this is not that it happened, but that it was so successful. This means that copycats will emulate it. I'm kinda surprised it didn't happen during a Harry Potter opening.
Well, I'm expecting a moral panic about guns and movie theater safety in the near future. Batten down the hatches, kids, we're soon going to have to go through metal detectors to see a goddamn movie.[DOUBLEPOST=1342784524][/DOUBLEPOST]Obligatory:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I have a cousin that lives in Aurora. I doubt she would be there, but she does have step daughters that are in their early 20's.

This is fairly close to Columbine High School. I wonder how much that event will end up shaping this one.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It's pretty awful.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

From Twitter and NBC news, the shooter has been identified as James Holmes. 24-year old white male.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

We already go through metal detectors here at my local Regal Cinema. There really isn't anything you can do about this kind of thing: Weapons are too plentiful, too easy to hide, and you can NEVER close all your security gaps. If we can't keep weapons off of AIRPLANES using full body scanners, security pat downs, and illegal racial profiling... how are we going to keep them out of movie theaters? And that's assuming the theaters can PAY for the extra security.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I don't like metal detectors at crowded places. A guy like this would commit so much carnage at a bottleneck like that. It just deters the idiots that routinely, illegally carry concealable firearms. But somebody that comes armed like Neo to do a terroristic act, it will not slow him down, it would just give him more targets.

Security in a crowd need to be staggered over a larger area.[DOUBLEPOST=1342790145][/DOUBLEPOST]Now for my shallow concerns:

I wonder how this will affect the box office for the movie. Will people stay home in droves out of fear of the copycats, or be intrigued over a movie that "prompted" such violence.

Dave

Dave

Batten down the hatches, kids, we're soon going to have to go through metal detectors to see a goddamn movie.
I don't see this happening. The guy came in through a fire exit, so metal detectors wouldn't have helped.

My big question is how he got through the doors. Aren't they supposed to be locked so people can't sneak in?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I don't see this happening. The guy came in through a fire exit, so metal detectors wouldn't have helped.

My big question is how he got through the doors. Aren't they supposed to be locked so people can't sneak in?
With a goddamn assault rifle, you can probably shoot through most locks. Those doors are mostly designed to keep people from quietly sneaking in, I'd bet.

Also, my knee-jerk emotional liberal reaction to anything like this is, "why the fuck was any of that shit he had legal to buy?" I'm not trying to start that argument, just sorting out how I feel. It's completely possible they weren't legally obtained.

Dave

Dave

Bad people who want guns will get them. I was reading a story yesterday about a guy who went to the gun shop to buy a weapon and was turned down due to his being a fucking whack-job. So he sent his brother the next day. The guy bought a weapon and gave it to the first guy, who used it to blow away a girl he was stalking. The brother was never charged with a crime.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Bad people who want guns will get them. I was reading a story yesterday about a guy who went to the gun shop to buy a weapon and was turned down due to his being a fucking whack-job. So he sent his brother the next day. The guy bought a weapon and gave it to the first guy, who used it to blow away a girl he was stalking. The brother was never charged with a crime.
If guns were illegal to buy neither of them would have been able to buy a gun :whistling:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

@Li3n

@Li3n

Here instead of mass shootings they have mass stabbings.
Yeah, i hear that's a real problem in countries where guns are illegal (hint: the close range makes it way harder to pull off multiple stabbings).

Although i think you guys have more of a gun culture problem, remember that kid that killed himself because his idiot father let him try out a submachinegun?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Wrong thread.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Like I said in the DKR thread: Jesus Christ. But I really want to hear this guy's reasoning.

The scary thing is, this is the sort of thing that my warped mind has considered before (not to ever actually do, but maybe for a story or something). Theatres are so densely packed with people that it'd be so easy to have a high body count. I'm really afraid now that we'll see some copycats. Which also puts into question whether this will affect DKR's box office, but that's hardly the biggest issue here, now. It's not just DRK, but it could be any movie.

Of course, the odds of something like this happening again in this exact same scenario are incredibly slim. I hope.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

A scary thought occurred to me:

Remember the crap that Rush Limbaugh was spewing recently? How this movie was an Obama-fuelled attack on Mitt Romney or something? That people would assume that Bane is like the Bain company that Romney works or worked for?

What if the shooter was doing this in reaction to that? Some kind of fucked up Romney supporter?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Lets keep this page for the movie, and treat the attack as a completely separate event.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Wrong thread.[DOUBLEPOST=1342795172][/DOUBLEPOST]
Lets keep this page for the movie, and treat the attack as a completely separate event.
Agreed. I made that first response before realizing there was a separate page. Apologies.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My guess is that the shooter just wanted the largest possible crowd. That he did not care what film it was, just that the building would be packed.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It is not anything I want an apology for, I'd just like to see a clear distinction between the events.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

This speculation is kind of unfounded until we have more information. It could be anything at this point, because once you shoot 50 people, all bets are off.

Also Rush's audience is probably exclusively really angry old dudes, not 20-somethings

@Li3n

@Li3n

Yup, it limits it to small children, and the death to injured ration is lower...

Of course actually treating the causes of what make people want to do this shit would be way better...

that's why they also go after easier targets.
Or alternatively "guy with knife gets disarmed by adult bystanders" doesn't get the same headlines as attacking kids...

who is you guys? Americans?
Ups, my bad...

Frank

Frank

I have no words for the tragedy.

But shame on your media. I wake up today, Google Aurora shootings and get a bunch of headlines that start with Obama and Romney express sorrow over Aurora Shooting and garbage like that. Jesus Christ.

Espy

Espy

Wow. This is horrible.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We don't know why he has done what he has done, but anyone who thinks gun control laws would have stopped a determined criminal lunatic is fooling themselves. Gun crime doubled when the UK banned them.

Dave

Dave

He had the door propped open. Did he do that and nobody noticed or did he have someone else helping?[DOUBLEPOST=1342797703][/DOUBLEPOST]Posts from the movie thread and the shooting thread have been merged. There were two posts with an earlier date/time stamp which is why it looks like Ash started the thread.

Espy

Espy

He had the door propped open. Did he do that and nobody noticed or did he have someone else helping?[DOUBLEPOST=1342797703][/DOUBLEPOST]Posts from the movie thread and the shooting thread have been merged. There were two posts with an earlier date/time stamp which is why it looks like Ash started the thread.
Apparently you moved those posts just as I was scrubbing them from that page. Whoops. Sorry guys. I didn't even think to just move them. My bad. I'll buy everyone a beer.

Dave

Dave

My bad, dude. I should have claimed the report before I started cleaning.

Frank

Frank

We don't know why he has done what he has done, but anyone who thinks gun control laws would have stopped a determined criminal lunatic is fooling themselves. Gun crime doubled when the UK banned them.
It's a culture issue, but Japan also has made guns illegal and their gun crime is nearly non-existent.

Soliloquy

Goddamn it... people are starting to blame a scene from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

"Hey everyone, let's speculate and find someone to blame before we find out any facts!"

*sigh*

Dave

Dave

And Canada has a metric fuckton of guns and not even close to the level of violence. It's not the guns, it's the American culture of violence and paranoia/fear.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Like others have said, a huge queue to go through metal detectors would also just move the target-rich environment from inside the theater to inside the lobby. It's a wonder some nutjob hasn't figured out how much damage he could do with a bomb at the line OUTSIDE an airport TSA checkpoint, and movie theaters aren't exactly built to be fort knox.[DOUBLEPOST=1342798211][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's a culture issue, but Japan also has made guns illegal and their gun crime is nearly non-existent.
And Canada has a metric fuckton of guns and not even close to the level of violence. It's not the guns, it's the American culture of violence and paranoia/fear.
I'm all ears for a way to change american culture, and not just on that topic.

Jay

Jay

We do have a lot of guns in Canada but gun control laws are tighter. Frank could talk about the details.. it's not perfect but it's not anywhere close to the ease you can acquire a gun in the US.

But it's all about the culture.. it's pathetic. Really really pathetic.

Dave

Dave

Looks like the guy told cops that he had stuff at his apartment. He does. The whole fucking place is booby-trapped. Cops looked inside from the outside windows before entering and it's a damned good thing they did or more people would have been hurt.

They are trying to disarm the stuff as we speak. This dude wanted to take a lot of people out with him.

Jay

Jay

Also, who the fuck brings a 3 month old, 6 year old and 9 year old to a midnight showing of Batman?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Goddamn it... people are starting to blame a scene from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

"Hey everyone, let's speculate and find someone to blame before we find out any facts!"

*sigh*
My vote is paranoid - schizophrenia...

Dave

Dave

I'm all ears for a way to change american culture, and not just on that topic.
  • Take money out of politics. This would lessen the need for lobbyists or super-PACs who do nothing but negative ads trying to sow fear and resentment towards a rival politician.
  • Encourage a third party. This would have much the same effect as #1 but would (hopefully) lessen the deadlock vitriol we are currently seeing in Washington and around the world.
  • Revamp the controls on the media. As it stands, all media can say anything they want without much fear of reprisal. FOX News and NBC are the two that spring to mind with their agenda and slanted reporting. FOX is the worst, though, as they will blatantly make shit up. We've gotten away from reporting the facts and gotten into a "must report first and find out stuff later" mentality.
  • Bring back shame and personal responsibility. I'll only cite one example here and that's public schools. In the past when a kid failed the parents would back up the teacher and punish the kid as well. Now, though, the parents get in the face of the teacher/administrator and complain or threaten to sue. And administrators back down nearly 100% of the time. My kids knew if they fucked up I wasn't going to blame the teacher at all. Every kid thinks he or she should be the next American Idol and their lives are shattered when they do not meet their fucked up and unrealistic expectations. Kids need to learn how to lose again.
This is not a complete list and I don't see any of them happening because the people who benefit the most from them are the ones who make all the money - they don't want it stopped because it would hurt them.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It may surprise you to learn I don't really have much problem with anything you just posted. Unfortunately, I also think it would be difficult as hell to introduce, especially 4, and 2 would practically require a revolution.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I've seen news reports / tweets from agencies saying the shooter was a med student who withdrew in June.

Also I'm kind of scared from the reports of his booby trapped apartment as "chilling" and "very complex / sophisticated" :(

Dave

Dave

Bomb making like that is very difficult to learn. I'm not sure you can get that from the internet. I wonder where he learned it?

Espy

Espy

Also, who the fuck brings a 3 month old, 6 year old and 9 year old to a midnight showing of Batman?
That was my first thought too when I read that. "MANS I GOTS TO SEE THIS MOVIE AND I CANT WAIT TO FIND A SITTER SO COME ON KIDS!" Dumbasses.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Oh, cool, victim blaming.

People have the right to bring kids to PG-13 movies?? It's not inherently irresposnible or bad parenting at all.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, my dad took me to a late ass showing of Batman 89 when I was 6.

It was fucking awesome.

Espy

Espy

Oh, cool, victim blaming.
YES. THAT IS WHAT I AM DOING. HOW GOOD OF YOU TO NOTICE. :facepalm:

LittleSin

LittleSin

...I took Jet to Up when he was about, oh, 3 months old? I timed it during his nap, when he would be asleep for two or three hours. It worked like a charm. :p

Also, I think I was 8 when I went to my first midnight movie...for The Lost World: Jurassic Park. I think it's kinda uncool to get mad at parentd for bringing their kids to the movie. If the kids were well behaved it's fine...and they didn't know the place was going to get shot up.

This whole thing is...not as baffling to me as it should be. I often wondered why people who just wanted to 'kill, kill never stop' didn't just walk into movie theaters or Boxing Day sales to do their thing.

Still sad though.

Dave

Dave

So will this color how you look at premiers? Will it stop you from attending one?

LittleSin

LittleSin

Not me.

Then again, I live in a place that really doesn't have a lot of gun crime or murders so my sense of safety maybe justified.

Soliloquy

YES. THAT IS WHAT I AM DOING. HOW GOOD OF YOU TO NOTICE. :facepalm:
You kind of are, though. Just sayin'.[DOUBLEPOST=1342802000][/DOUBLEPOST]
So will this color how you look at premiers? Will it stop you from attending one?
I'm actually a bit frightened now, not going to lie. Though to be honest I don't go to premieres that often anyway.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The Bath School Disaster was nearly 100 years ago, and people still send their children to school.

The Luby's shooting was 20 years ago, and I still eat in restaurants.

The McDonald's shooting was nearly 30 years ago and I still love fast food.

9/11 was 10 years ago, and I still live in America.

Frank

Frank

I'm way more terrified of the class of God awful nerds that are obnoxious at premiers.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

One of the victims who died narrowly avoided being shot at the Toronto Eaton Centre shooting earlier this summer:
http://o.canada.com/2012/07/20/repo...hooting-was-at-toronto-eaton-centre-shooting/
A last second decision to get a burger instead of sushi may have saved her life, until last night.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Huh. Apparently this guy with withdrawing from the graduate program in neuroscience.

How do you get that far in life...and then do this? It's crazy!

Norris

Norris

Not at all. Just like Columbine didn't stop me from going to high school, Virginia Tech didn't stop me from going to college, and workplace shootings don't stop me from going to work.

That's one thing that definitely bugs me about this - we here in the USA seem to overreact to tragedy. Every lone nut with a gun dominates the 24-hour news cycle for days and the whole country (figuratively speaking) starts worrying that they're next. Two camps of blame shooters form - those who blame the media for turning a normal person into a shooter or for giving a nut ideas (bullshit) and people who blame the government for the "obvious" false-flag operation (bullshit). New security measures are proposed, debated, and sometimes enacted but they always fail to prevent the next lone nut because a whacko with enough determination to kill people will find a way. Seriously, would it kill us to just say "This is a tragedy and our hearts go out to those suffering because of it, but this man was very likely not well in the head and unless the police investigation turns something up we can assume he acted alone" and go on with our lives without the irrational fear?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Ya notice nearly every one of those conspiracy wingnuts is a Ron Paul supporter?

Norris

Norris

Ya notice nearly every one of those conspiracy wingnuts is a Ron Paul supporter?
In fairness, those pictures only show us 1) conspiracy nuts using twitter and 2) conspiracy nuts the person could find.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

We do have a lot of guns in Canada but gun control laws are tighter. Frank could talk about the details.. it's not perfect but it's not anywhere close to the ease you can acquire a gun in the US.

I think it may vary slightly province to province, but as I understand it, handguns are damned near impossible to acquire, and illegal to carry. If they are being transported from home to the gun range, they need to be kept in a safety lock box for the duration of the trip. Rifles I think are slightly less restricted, in that you can transport them without a safety box, but otherwise the rules are the same.

I'm fairly certain the laws change province to province only because my friend and his family were able to walk into a shooting range in the West Edmonton Mall and just pay to fire a selection of guns, whereas I've looked into shooting ranges here and every one of them requires you to be licensed, even on their "public" day where members are allowed to bring friends who are not members

Jay

Jay

One of the victims who died narrowly avoided being shot at the Toronto Eaton Centre shooting earlier this summer:
http://o.canada.com/2012/07/20/repo...hooting-was-at-toronto-eaton-centre-shooting/
A last second decision to get a burger instead of sushi may have saved her life, until last night.
Worst luck ever.

Espy

Espy

You kind of are, though. Just sayin'.
Apparently I didn't communicate something I though was obvious. My comment had nothing to do with the shooting and everything to do with having sat through movies where people bring kids that scream through the entire thing because either it scares the crap out of them or thats just the age they are at. That clear enough?

Soliloquy

Apparently I didn't communicate something I though was obvious. My comment had nothing to do with the shooting and everything to do with having sat through movies where people bring kids that scream through the entire thing because either it scares the crap out of them or thats just the age they are at. That clear enough?
Fair enough, but considering this is the thread where we discuss how these children were shot to death, I don't think movie etiquette was the first thing on our minds.

Necronic

Necronic

Why do people care about what his reason was, as though it's something that, when you hear it, you'll go "ohhhhhh"? I mean...here's his reason:

1) Life sucks
2) I can't or am not willing to fix it
3) I'm a coward and mentally ill
4) ?????
5) Killing a bunch of people will fix this.

It really doesn't matter. He's a piece of crap. This isn't George Zimmerman or someone who there is even the slimmest shadow of a doubt that there was a good reason behind what he did. This is a crazy guy who murdered 12 random people because he wanted attention.

Dude was a coward. Screw him.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

9/11 was 10 years ago, and I still live in America.
I guess you didn't pick up a newspaper in the last 10 years

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I guess you didn't pick up a newspaper in the last 10 years
Do you have any idea of the tyranny that you are advocating? Homeland Security has nothing on your reign of terror.

Frank

Frank

I think it may vary slightly province to province, but as I understand it, handguns are damned near impossible to acquire, and illegal to carry. If they are being transported from home to the gun range, they need to be kept in a safety lock box for the duration of the trip. Rifles I think are slightly less restricted, in that you can transport them without a safety box, but otherwise the rules are the same.

I'm fairly certain the laws change province to province only because my friend and his family were able to walk into a shooting range in the West Edmonton Mall and just pay to fire a selection of guns, whereas I've looked into shooting ranges here and every one of them requires you to be licensed, even on their "public" day where members are allowed to bring friends who are not members
The only places in Canada with laxer gun laws than Alberta are the territories I think.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Do you have any idea of the tyranny that you are advocating? Homeland Security has nothing on your reign of terror.
I am not sure to what you are referring

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I am not sure to what you are referring
The two threads are running together. The tyranny that you are advocating on Ban All Guns.

LittleSin

LittleSin

You know, my first thought wasn't "What does Patton Oswalt think?"...but I'm sorta glad he exists.

patton.png

He certainly makes more sense than some people on my twitter right now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I usually don't go to premieres anyway - they're too crowded and I never get good seats.

However, I did overhear somebody at work today saying that this has prompted him to decide to get his concealed carry permit.

LittleSin

LittleSin

However, I did overhear somebody at work today saying that this has prompted him to decide to get his concealed carry permit.
Before I make a judgement of any kind: Is this a reliable human being who will show restraint in having a concealed weapon?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Before I make a judgement of any kind: Is this a reliable human being who will show restraint in having a concealed weapon?
This is a good ol' boy what drops more consonants an' slurs murr vaals 'n you can shake a stick at.

And he often steals my parking space.

LittleSin

LittleSin

This is a good ol' boy what drops more consonants an' slurs murr vaals 'n you can shake a stick at.

And he often steals my parking space.
Oh.

This is probably a bad idea, then.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh.

This is probably a bad idea, then.
I also think, however, he'll get distracted and not follow through.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I also think, however, he'll get distracted and not follow through.
That's good. Another instance where procrastination wins.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's good. Another instance where procrastination wins.
"Laziness is not evil. What if war were declared, and nobody showed?" - Garfield

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Why do people care about what his reason was, as though it's something that, when you hear it, you'll go "ohhhhhh"? I mean...here's his reason:

1) Life sucks
2) I can't or am not willing to fix it
3) I'm a coward and mentally ill
4) ?????
5) Killing a bunch of people will fix this.

It really doesn't matter. He's a piece of crap. This isn't George Zimmerman or someone who there is even the slimmest shadow of a doubt that there was a good reason behind what he did. This is a crazy guy who murdered 12 random people because he wanted attention.

Dude was a coward. Screw him.
I disagree. The reason to look for someone's reason is in order to find the signs in other people and potentially prevent it from happening again. There's an antecedent to everyone's actions, whether they're known to the person or hidden deep in their psyche, and this guy is no different. Yes, it is very likely the case the mental instability, but what kind of mental instability? What could have been done to treat the mental instability, get him help, see the signs before it happens, etc?

It's not just a fascination about his reasons, but it's also a preventative measure to help see the potential signs for future shooters like him.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

So we need to arrest anyone that is fired from his job or drops out of something important in his life? In several of these cases these are the only outward manifestation of anything going wrong.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

There are more signs than that to look out for. I don't know what they are because I'm not a psychologist, but they exist.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

stress? isolation? fear? failure??? that will include anyone that watches Fox News. OK, anyone in modern society.

Necronic

Necronic

Then you don't want his reason, you want the reason. His reason will probably involve some manifesto involving race or politics or religion or hating women or "my dog told me to" or being a Superman fan (*ahem*). The reason will involve something like paranoid schizophrenia or accute anxiety disorder or sociopathic etc along with some grudge or source of unhappiness.

It's worth looking into the mental illness or series of events in the persons life that lead up to this, but it's an academic exercise that includes case studies of all situations like this, this is just one more piece of data. And I'm not sure what can be learned from this, or other instances, because they are so few and far between and each have their own convluted data sets behind them. Trying to draw trends from incredibly rare outliers is difficult, if not impossible.

That's the spooky/creepy thing about htese kinds of things. I'm not sure what even can be learned from them. What did we learn from the Son of Sam? That dogs and catholocism make a bad combination? From John Wayne Gacey? That clowns are scary? From Dahlmer? That you can't actually dissolve a body in acid even though Breaking Bad keeps doing it? From Hitler? That we should buy crappy paintings "just in case"?

The sad thing is that there aren't always lessons. .

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Again, I DON'T KNOW because I'm not an expert. But you're still overgeneralising.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The only places in Canada with laxer gun laws than Alberta are the territories I think.

(There was a shooting, or maybe it was a suicide, I forget, at that West Edmonton Mall shooting range shortly after my friend was there)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Take Charles Joseph Whitman, the University of Texas Shooter. It turned out the reason he went nuts is he had a brain tumor. There is no way to see that coming. This guy (I don't want to learn his name) just dropped out of school. Nothing sinister in that. We just can't get everyone to submit to yearly physicals and psychiatric exams.

Dave

Dave

It's being reported that all the guns were purchased legally.

Covar

Covar

Take Charles Joseph Whitman, the University of Texas Shooter. It turned out the reason he went nuts is he had a brain tumor. There is no way to see that coming. This guy (I don't want to learn his name) just dropped out of school. Nothing sinister in that. We just can't get everyone to submit to yearly physicals and psychiatric exams.
Yet! </poorobamacarejoke>

Necronic

Necronic

No big surprise there. We'll see if it comes down to the same crap as V-Tech though where he shouldn't have been able to buy it due to mental health issues but did because of a bureacratic cockup.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Totally not surprised that all of that murder equipment was purchased legally in the best nation on earth.

Also, not joking, free universal health care would have prevented the University of Texas shooting since it would have caught the brain tumor. Thanks for playing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also, not joking, free universal health care would have prevented the University of Texas shooting since it would have caught the brain tumor. Thanks for playing.
Actually, if there's one thing the American health care system does beat the socialized version at, it's cancer treatment.

Dave

Dave

Actually, if there's one thing the American health care system does beat the socialized version at, it's cancer treatment.
Treatment maybe, diagnosis and prevention, not so much.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Actually, heck no. It's only in countries with enforced public health care and mandatory mammographies/colonoscopies/other unpleasant things doctors do, that you really see a significant decrease in mortality. Per capita, Belgium has much lower breasts cancers progressing past stage 2 than the US. Once a cancer's been diagnosed, treatment might be better in the US (though I doubt it and depending on where you live and how much money you're able to spend); early detection and risk aversion, resulting in lower costs and lower mortality rates is very firmly on the side of "organised, free and mandatory medical systems".

*edit*
Darn you admins and your ninja-like ways.

Dave

Dave

:ninja:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, according to FactCheck.org (which I use begrudgingly),

Across the board, the United States boasts a higher five-year relative survival rate than the European average, according to a 2008 study in the British medical journal Lancet. For breast cancer, for instance, the U.S. survival rate was 83.9 percent, the U.K. rate was 69.7, and the average European rate was 73.1.

The American Cancer Society found that the five-year survival rates for colorectal cancer averaged 63 percent for the privately insured but 49 percent for the uninsured. According to the Lancet study, five-year relative survival rates for colorectal cancer were 59.1 percent in the U.S. and 45.3 percent in Europe. Breast cancer survival rates among the uninsured were also similar to Europe – 85 percent survival for those with private insurance, 75 percent for the uninsured, close to the European average. Rates for people on Medicaid were similar to the uninsured.
The article then goes on to spin like a maytag to say "but that doesn't mean it's better, and we'll stop linking to data now but don't notice that!"

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Anyways, this isn't the place for that hoary debate.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Anyways, this isn't the place for that hoary debate.
Says the guy who brought it up! (AND asserted his opening statement constituted a QED and necessitated a condescending "thanks for playing.") Jeesh.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

eh, sixpack and covar. But I should have let it go, I was trying to keep that sort of stuff out of this thread for like. people wanting info/ etc

GasBandit

GasBandit

Whispers coming down the grapevine are now saying the guy dyed his hair and claimed to be the Joker.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, according to FactCheck.org (which I use begrudgingly),

The article then goes on to spin like a maytag to say "but that doesn't mean it's better, and we'll stop linking to data now but don't notice that!"

Nice try, but the study compares global across Europe, including such great and modern countries as Slovenia. I'm not comparing the US to what was the USSR 20 years ago. The article you quote explicitly states that it was because of early detection that the USA scored higher. Not only is this an area where the good part of Europe (say, Scandinavia, the Benelux, Germany, Austria) is in advance of the US, it's also an area where you want the USA to step back because it's that damn meddling government, while the commie red bastards (I know, I'm joking) want to further it. Better cancer care = earlier detection = mandatory screenings = government meddling in your damn right to die mysteriously. You can't, at the same time, argue that health care is evil, and that because of those few measures that you have taken, your version is better.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If charlie can drop it, so can I, and you probably ought to as well. Start a thread if you want.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Totally not surprised that all of that murder equipment was purchased legally in the best nation on earth.

Whitman sought help at the University Medical Center. So thanks for playing too.

Frank

Frank

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/louie-gohmert-aurora-shootings_n_1689099.html

Jesus. You know what I don't understand? Is how people hundreds of years later can take every single word men (great men, yes, fallible men, of course) made in a time completely different than that that we live in as complete and utter truths above all else.

Ben Franklin once said, blah blah blah. Fuck, they weren't Gods guys. Ben Franklin wasn't the offspring of Zeus.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/louie-gohmert-aurora-shootings_n_1689099.html

Jesus. You know what I don't understand? Is how people hundreds of years later can take every single word men (great men, yes, fallible men, of course) made in a time completely different than that that we live in as complete and utter truths above all else.

Ben Franklin once said, blah blah blah. Fuck, they weren't Gods guys. Ben Franklin wasn't the offspring of Zeus.
Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas)
This is where I stopped reading.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Crap he's my parent's rep.

Necronic

Necronic

Dude quotes Ben Franklin about christianity.

Ben Franklin

Who was a deist.

Whelp.

Also quotes John Adams, a Unitarian. Who said that Christianity was being usurped by the unscrupulous to create fear.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Relevant:

If nothing else, definitely watch from 1:40 on.

Dave

Dave

More and more is coming out about this. Seems the guy had his music turned up really loud and on a timer so that the neighbors would call the cops. When the cops got there they'd trigger the booby traps, killing a bunch of people, then when the whole city was responding to that he'd be just opening fire and ruin the response times of the police and rescue units. But either the music went off too late or the shooting started too soon because when the neighbors called the cops on the music they were told nobody was coming thanks to the shooting at the theater.

This guy took a page from the Norway shooter but didn't quite pull it off.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

In other words... this was the copycat. :facepalm:

Norris

Norris

Warner Bros. is pulling the ads for the movie out of respect for the victims. I don't like it. Even if this guy dyed his hair (red, according to reports) and called himself The Joker, it has not one damn thing to do with the movie. No more so than the film Taxi Driver can be blamed for John Hinkley, Jr., The Beatles' White Album can be blamed for the Manson Family, the video game Doom can be blamed for Klebold & Harris, or The Catcher in the Rye can be blamed for Mark David Chapman and/or Robert John Bardo. The victims were people who were so hyped for this movie that they were willing to stay up until close to three AM to be among the first people seeing it. I don't see how advertising a movie they were anxious to see disrespects them.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The sad thing is, WB don't need the ads, now. They're getting enough publicity for the movie as it is. :(

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

Universal healthcare!?!? You're not putting me out of business buddy!

Norris

Norris

The sad thing is, WB don't need the ads, now. They're getting enough publicity for the movie as it is. :(
Precisely the wrong kind of publicity though. I'm willing to bet that there are people out there who are afraid to see the movie anywhere at anytime, because this is the country where people were afraid the next big terror attack would happen in what is colloquially-but-appropriately known as "flyover country".

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Precisely the wrong kind of publicity though. I'm willing to bet that there are people out there who are afraid to see the movie anywhere at anytime, because this is the country where people were afraid the next big terror attack would happen in what is colloquially-but-appropriately known as "flyover country".
It'll do AMAZING on DVD though.

Chippy

Chippy

oh man if only there were more armed people in the theater to return fire in a crowded, dark, smokey room with people running for their lives. Things could have ended a lot better.

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

oh man if only there were more armed people in the theater to return fire in a crowded, dark, smokey room with people running for their lives. Things could have ended a lot better.

All of my gun nut facebook friends have been replying with the same ol' diatribe: "this is why I carry, so I'm ready for anything." Really, man, you live in one of the whitest suburbs in the Philadelphia area. In my 10 years living here, I have not once had to lock my car doors, watch my back, or hide my wallet. I'm convinced most gun nuts are afraid of their own shadow.

Steve

Steve

I wouldn't have seen the movie this weekend had my friends not prepurchased the tickets. Not out of fear of another shooter which I think is unlikely. The tragedy was weighing too much on my mind and I thought sitting in the theater I'd be thinking about the victims. The tragedy is tied so closely to the movie I didn't think I could separate the two.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Thanks, appreciate that sentiment, Silent Bob.

I'll just be over here, toting my Glock.

The scary thing about this nutbar was that he had shown NO previous signs, from what preliminary reports are showing. If it's a case where his wiring got crossed, it doesn't appear to have manifested itself in any other indicative behaviors.

This was pre-meditated, calculated, and well-planned. Poorly-executed (so to speak), but well-planned. The only thing he forgot would be to plant secondary charges at his apartment for when first responders came for the first explosion (the one that failed to go off).

Fucknut knew what he was doing, and while he might have been sociopathic/psychopathic, he doesn't appear to have any other mental health issues. Cook him.

Frank

Frank

You're trained.

The problem, in my opinion, is the hordes that aren't.

I don't carry off-duty. Almost no RCMP does. We legally can (if it's a privately owned and registered firearm) but it's against department policy. Only under very special circumstances can we be in possession of our service firearm when we're off duty.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Hell, down here, we're just about required to carry off-duty, unless we're out drinking or something like that.

tegid

tegid

Re: Not going to premieres or to see this one movie.

This really won't (wouldn't have) affect(ed) my everyday life, I'm actually in the States since yesterday and I was keeping my plans to see it here, but my gf wrote this morning: 'Don't go see it over there, I'll take you when you come back' (She's already seen it with my friends in Barcelona). So whatever. We'll see.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Fucknut knew what he was doing, and while he might have been sociopathic/psychopathic, he doesn't appear to have any other mental health issues. Cook him.
Um, those are some pretty serious mental health issues...

What annoys me is that this is going to be another one of those media scares that keeps people from living their lives in a normal fashion. We listen to sound bites and scare tactics so readily these days.

Yes, Virginia, the terrorists DID win. If there's any sort of "war on terror" it is that we should stop being so damn afraid all the time. Our country is under a steady drip of media panic, most of which has detrimental effects on the people as a whole.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Bowielee, Serious, yes, but not necessarily going to manifest themselves through anything other than possible childhood anger issues, as opposed to schizophrenia, which would show itself , in most cases.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Charon, I'm going to ask you a question that I had as a JCO - did you have a fleeting thought (dream, semi-fugue state, whatever) after hearing about this whole thing about what you would have done?

My problem is that because I haven't been trained in armed use of force, I couldn't imagine dealing with this idiot.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Bowielee, Serious, yes, but not necessarily going to manifest themselves through anything other than possible childhood anger issues, as opposed to schizophrenia, which would show itself , in most cases.
One of the main symptoms of Sociopathology is that you feel no guilt or remorse for your actions, along with controlling behaviors. It would be an extremely relevent factor in this. I'm certainly not saying that it's basis for an insanity plea, which does not hold for enduring personality traits (which sociopathology is).

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Certainly, and it will be interesting to see how this plays out in court. There's little doubt that any counsel he obtains is going to try and seek an insanity defense - the carnage here was just too extreme not to. The question becomes if he will try and state that he "regrets" his actions.

I'm still curious what prompted this... has any kind of statement been released to the media on this score?

Bowielee

Bowielee

There is no way an insanity plea with stick. This is meticulously planned and excecuted. What we're most likely to find, as was the case with most school shootings and similar situations is that there were warning signs that were there and ignored. Most people near him will say the warning signs were not there to cover their own feelings of culpability of what happened.

For the record, I did a whole semester of study on this type of voilence, and there are usually common factors running throughout, such as feelings of not fitting in, abuse by fellow students, a lack of parental intervention, etc...

Just so it's clear, I'm not placing blame on the parents. In fact the issue with these types of situations is that everyone wants to find a "magic bullet" reason for this type of behavior, but it is really a confluence of multiple factors.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I highly recommend the book "No One Left to Hate" by Dr. Elliot Aronson. It is a really good study at the culture surrounding these types of issues.

Be warned, though, that there is a lot of indictment of the bullying culture propogated by schools that may piss some people off.

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

The scary thing about this nutbar was that he had shown NO previous signs, from what preliminary reports are showing. If it's a case where his wiring got crossed, it doesn't appear to have manifested itself in any other indicative behaviors.

This was pre-meditated, calculated, and well-planned. Poorly-executed (so to speak), but well-planned. The only thing he forgot would be to plant secondary charges at his apartment for when first responders came for the first explosion (the one that failed to go off).

I'm guessing you're a cop by your name, in which case it's almost your job to carry. I'm talking about the Joe Blow rednecks I know that want to be a one man army (Batman if you will).

Tress

Tress

I highly recommend the book "No One Left to Hate" by Dr. Elliot Aronson. It is a really good study at the culture surrounding these types of issues.

Be warned, though, that there is a lot of indictment of the bullying culture propogated by schools that may piss some people off.
Could you elaborate, please? I'm interested in the idea of the book, but I need a little more. Do his solutions go beyond the jigsaw techniques, or is it just a restatement of how jigsaw classrooms can be effective?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I am not a lawyer. My mother was, and the way I heard her say it was that insanity was tricky. If you believed, for instance, that you were Robin Hood firing an arrow at the Sherriff of Nottingham to protect Little John (and of course the truth was you were just a guy shooting another guy with a gun), you were competent enough to stand trial. But if you thought you were superman using a freeze ray to stop an oncoming truck (and again, you were just shooting a guy), that gets more complicated.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Could you elaborate, please? I'm interested in the idea of the book, but I need a little more. Do his solutions go beyond the jigsaw techniques, or is it just a restatement of how jigsaw classrooms can be effective?
The jigsaw techniques are one of the points he talks about, but it's more about getting to root problems rather than quick fixes. It looks most closely at the power of situational influences, much like the research of Dr. Zimbardo.

Jay

Jay

You're trained.

The problem, in my opinion, is the hordes that aren't.

I don't carry off-duty. Almost no RCMP does. We legally can (if it's a privately owned and registered firearm) but it's against department policy. Only under very special circumstances can we be in possession of our service firearm when we're off duty.
There was a documentary by one of the victims that got shot in Columbine where they ran a test where people were given paint guns to carry and knew at some point and time that an attack would happen and how they would defend themselves. When the attack came, since they weren't trained and were struck with surprise, they fumbled taking out their guns or basically panicked.

It was a nice documentary.

IMO, as long as you allow people to buy guns to protect themselves so easily, you'll always get events like this.

As a Canadian, how the fuck can people legally buy weapons that clearly aren't meant for self-defense? I can understand a Glock... but an assault rifle? Full automatic?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

There was a documentary by one of the victims that got shot in Columbine where they ran a test where people were given paint guns to carry and knew at some point and time that an attack would happen and how they would defend themselves. When the attack came, since they weren't trained and were struck with surprise, they fumbled taking out their guns or basically panicked.

It was a nice documentary.

IMO, as long as you allow people to buy guns to protect themselves so easily, you'll always get events like this.

As a Canadian, how the fuck can people legally buy weapons that clearly aren't meant for self-defense? I can understand a Glock... but an assault rifle? Full automatic?
because of the stupid fucking 2nd amendment, that's why.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It is difficult to get a fully automatic weapon in this nation. The shooter had a semi-automatic rifle and pistol.

Jay

Jay

Yeah because we all need muskets in today's day and age.

Frank

Frank

It's not legal to own a fully automatic anything.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Pass a background check, be a federally licensed gun dealer, and pay tax for owning fully automatic weapons... and American can buy just about anything.

drifter

drifter

It is difficult to get a fully automatic weapon in this nation. The shooter had a semi-automatic rifle and pistol.

Don't they sell aftermarket conversion kits to turn semi-autos into fully automatic rifles?

That doesn't include that handle attachment thing that turns semi-autos into what is functionally a fully automatic weapon, with next to no effort.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But the trigger is pulled each and every time. It also only works when the butt-stock is against your shoulder.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah because we all need muskets in today's day and age.
At the time of drafting, the musket was the most lethal instrument of death that could be carried by a single person. There were other guns, less lethal, less efficient. The "they only meant muskets" argument is a red herring that is easily dispelled when you look at their intent - to give the federal government pause when considering oppression or use of force against Americans. I don't expect a canadian to understand.

But Frank is right - full auto weapons are currently (and in my opinion, unconstitutionally) illegal. His AR-15 was semi-auto.

But there's a whole thread on this.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Is a semi-automatic less dangerous then an full auto? I have no idea since guns arent something im interested in.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Is a semi-automatic less dangerous then an full auto? I have no idea since guns arent something im interested in.
Semi auto means you must release and pull the trigger once per bullet, but the gun reloads itself each shot. Full auto means as long as you hold down the trigger, it will continue to fire as fast as it can load itself. The other alternative is bolt-action (or single action) which requires the user to manually work the action on the gun to eject the spent round and rechamber the next before he can fire the next shot.

Almost every contemporary pistol is semi automatic (or a double action revolver which amounts to the same). Most high end hunting rifles (and sniper rifles) are bolt action because it allows for higher power and accuracy. There are semi auto shotguns as well, but pump action is still very common. Most "assault" weapons (and how you define an assault weapon is a subject of much controversy) are civilian versions of military weapons that have been forced to semi auto instead of the full auto they were designed for - such as the AR-15.

Dave

Dave

Want to see a moron in court?

moron.png

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Want to see a moron in court?

View attachment 7316
Really. He has to be a moron to dye his hair red to look like the Joker's.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

At work a couple people were slightly moving / going over to the TV showing this, and I was just like smh

Dave

Dave

My only beef about the whole thing was the prayer service yesterday. I know this is probably heartless of me, but when they called these 12 people "heroes" and said that they "gave their lives" I just shook my head. Maybe the one guy fits this description (the one who took the bullets for his girlfriend instead of letting her get shot) but the rest? No. They were not heroes. They were ordinary people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. As to "giving their lives"? Nope. Their lives were taken, not freely given.

The hyperbole during that whole debacle was just dumb.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, remember that whole thing about not showing the attacker's face on national TV over and over and over again?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Don't they sell aftermarket conversion kits to turn semi-autos into fully automatic rifles?

That doesn't include that handle attachment thing that turns semi-autos into what is functionally a fully automatic weapon, with next to no effort.
No, they sell instructions on how to install such a component and a piece of scrap (that can, with very slight machining, be turned into such a component). This is perfectly legal, as long as the piece they give you doesn't work as it is sold. However, owning/selling a working modification is entirely illegal and has some serious fines/jail time attached to it. This includes any string/cords used as part of a bump firing setup, unless said parts have been licensed and tagged by the government (which means it's from before the ban).

Fun Fact: All you need to do to change an AR-15 into a full auto M16 is change a single part to let the action repeat.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, remember that whole thing about not showing the attacker's face on national TV over and over and over again?
While I do agree with the idea, is it even possible to not put some kind of image of either the attacker or the victims? One could say putting the victim's pictures on the screen would be better, but that still just sensationalizes the whole ordeal. Given the image-driven news media we live in, I don't think it's even possible. Especially with such a huge news item this is currently.

chris

chris

But can't they censor his and his victims faces

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The media can censor the faces. The news censors itself all the time. Just as long as a government agency does not ask for the censorship, I don't mind.

Dave

Dave

Only reason I did it is because he looked fucking stupid. I'm not talking about him in a calm or fearful manner. I'm outright mocking the fool and his stupid Ronald McDonald bad dye-job hair.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm not concerned too much about the victims' faces... the point being made in the video is that the attacker's face getting 24/7 coverage on all the news networks glorifies his act and encourages other unbalanced people to emulate him.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Fark has taken to calling him Sideshow Bob.

Dave

Dave

Fark has taken to calling him Sideshow Bob.
Sideshow Bob couldn't kill a 10 year old boy.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Sideshow Bob couldn't kill a 10 year old boy.
That's because they wouldn't let him own a gun.

Dave

Dave

That's because they wouldn't let him own a gun.
Actually it's more because he tends to go off track. He is the very model of a modern Major General.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Actually it's more because he tends to go off track. He is the very model of a modern Major General.
Maybe they should have surrounded the theater with rakes?

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

I think I said as much a while back in the "What creeps you the f*ck out" thread, but I am both fascinated & creeped out by real-time accounts of events such as this. Seeing how authorities, bystanders & witnesses react to these situations just morbidly interests me. At any rate, we have:

I don't know how pure this is, i.e. how compressed it is for removal of dead air, but by the time stamp - it's roughly 5 minutes from first call to apprehension of the suspect. We also have:

Fire department audio - mostly injury callouts & command center setups. Of note about 31 minutes in is the call stating there are "10 black" in the theater.

Like I said - interesting to me but the opening siren of the FD audio just creeps me the fuck out.

Dave

Dave

Remember what I said about copycats?

http://news.yahoo.com/3-arrested-separate-dark-knight-incidents-080930278.html

One is credible. The other two are overreactions to stupid actions so not really copycats.

Covar

Covar

DC Comics delays Batman Incorporated #3 a month

Apparently a scene in the book hits too close to home in light of recent events.

Artist Chris Burnham on the issue
Chris Burnham said:
It's not just a Batman comic with guns in it. There's a specific scene that made DC & the whole Bat-team say "Yikes." Too close for comfort.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

One is credible. The other two are overreactions to stupid actions so not really copycats.
Which one is credible?

Dave

Dave

Which one is credible?
Well I was going to say the guy with the weapons but I went back to read it again just to make sure...none of them are credible, it seems. I don't know WTF I was reading, but the link to the Dark Knight is tenuous at best.

Thanks for calling me out on it, Charlie.

Necronic

Necronic

My only beef about the whole thing was the prayer service yesterday. I know this is probably heartless of me, but when they called these 12 people "heroes" and said that they "gave their lives" I just shook my head. Maybe the one guy fits this description (the one who took the bullets for his girlfriend instead of letting her get shot) but the rest? No. They were not heroes. They were ordinary people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. As to "giving their lives"? Nope. Their lives were taken, not freely given.

The hyperbole during that whole debacle was just dumb.
Seriously. Not every victim is a hero. I am getting sick of how people use that word.

Frank

Frank

Christian Bale has been visiting the shooting victims in the hospital, which is pretty rad of him to do.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/enterta...ian-bale-visits-aurora-colo-shooting-victims/

Jay

Jay

FFS

Christian Bale Visits Aurora, Colo, Shooting Victims

Bubble181

Bubble181

FFS

Christian Bale Visits Aurora, Colo, Shooting Victims
That journalist has never had to puctuate that "woman without her man is nothing" phrase, apparently. Sheesh.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...lorado-shooting-survivor-plans-172430871.html

Now it is time to lawyer up and sue Warner Brothers and the Theater Chain.

This will likely get kicked out of court because most businesses are not required to make themselves terrorist proof.

Espy

Espy

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...lorado-shooting-survivor-plans-172430871.html

Now it is time to lawyer up and sue Warner Brothers and the Theater Chain.

This will likely get kicked out of court because most businesses are not required to make themselves terrorist proof.
Good grief.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

How in the hell do these people have "Family Spokesperson" in place?

Norris

Norris

How in the hell do these people have "Family Spokesperson" in place?
They hired one. It's been almost a week, it would take more than a day to do that.

Tress

Tress

My favorite part is how the asshole wants to sue Warner Bros. because the film is too violent... this would be the same film he went to see at a midnight premier? I guess it didn't bother him too much until he saw a chance to make some money.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, I guess the killer saw the movie, traveled back in time and committed the crimes.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Yeah, I guess the killer saw the movie, traveled back in time and committed the crimes.

It's the only logical explanation.

Steve

Steve

What about this story: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...t-movie-ended-article-1.1121478#ixzz21eC5WpMO

That asshole shooter had the audacity to ask a guard how the movie ended. Honestly, it would have been so hard not to beat the hell out of him at that moment.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

That asshole shooter had the audacity to ask a guard how the movie ended.
"The shitbag with the orange hair loses. The End."

jwhouk

jwhouk

"The Joker dies. Like this." (PUSH)

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

For some reason, that strikes me as really, really funny.

Norris

Norris

"The people like you lose. The people like me and your victims win. Because that how it should always be."

Espy

Espy

For some reason, that strikes me as really, really funny.
Like he realized that he forgot to finish the movie before he went on his rampage. Now he's sitting there with that little regret gnawing, gnawing away at him.
NO ONE TELL HIM HOW IT ENDS. Let him suffer.

Alternatively the people around him could, like a certain character in Nolan's movies, each tell him a different ending so that he cannot trust anything.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Like. I'm no advocate of cruel and unusual punishment by any stretch, but this just seems like a really funny form of punishment. 5 years later, he's still gonna be asking, and no one will tell him, obviously.

Also, I do hope he gets that weird punishment where he isn't allowed to read anything about his "exploits".

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Keeps getting worse for one woman. She gets shot in the theater and, days later after stabilizing, is told her 6-yr old daughter died in the shooting. Then late last week she miscarries her 6-month old fetus, & now she's just found out she will be paralyzed from her injuries. :mad:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...d=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk3&pLid=186207

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

:(

That makes me really sad...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Man yells "This is it!" at Dark Knight showing, panic ensues.

Drunken idiot who got in a fight and then came back to the theater. Lucky he wasn't stomped to death by the guys who tackled him.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I guess I better skip going to the bar before seeing the film tonight.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

And my home state (Ohio) gives us the first attempted copy-cat. Thankfully an off duty officer spotted it before anyone could be hurt.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Of course, there's that other thing that happened in my neck of the woods, but that had nothing to do with Batman.

...Fixied the Linkie.

drifter

drifter

Missing a bit of the address in your link, jwhouk