[News] Shooting at Batman Premier: Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like there was a shooting at a Dark Knight Rises showing at Century 16 in Aurora, Colorado. Many dead. More injured.

Dave

Staff member
My biggest fear about this is not that it happened, but that it was so successful. This means that copycats will emulate it. I'm kinda surprised it didn't happen during a Harry Potter opening.

This is crazy. I just hope there aren't any copy-cats.[DOUBLEPOST=1342784170][/DOUBLEPOST]
My biggest fear about this is not that it happened, but that it was so successful. This means that copycats will emulate it. I'm kinda surprised it didn't happen during a Harry Potter opening.
Well, I'm expecting a moral panic about guns and movie theater safety in the near future. Batten down the hatches, kids, we're soon going to have to go through metal detectors to see a goddamn movie.[DOUBLEPOST=1342784524][/DOUBLEPOST]Obligatory:

I have a cousin that lives in Aurora. I doubt she would be there, but she does have step daughters that are in their early 20's.

This is fairly close to Columbine High School. I wonder how much that event will end up shaping this one.

We already go through metal detectors here at my local Regal Cinema. There really isn't anything you can do about this kind of thing: Weapons are too plentiful, too easy to hide, and you can NEVER close all your security gaps. If we can't keep weapons off of AIRPLANES using full body scanners, security pat downs, and illegal racial profiling... how are we going to keep them out of movie theaters? And that's assuming the theaters can PAY for the extra security.

I don't like metal detectors at crowded places. A guy like this would commit so much carnage at a bottleneck like that. It just deters the idiots that routinely, illegally carry concealable firearms. But somebody that comes armed like Neo to do a terroristic act, it will not slow him down, it would just give him more targets.

Security in a crowd need to be staggered over a larger area.[DOUBLEPOST=1342790145][/DOUBLEPOST]Now for my shallow concerns:

I wonder how this will affect the box office for the movie. Will people stay home in droves out of fear of the copycats, or be intrigued over a movie that "prompted" such violence.

Dave

Staff member
Batten down the hatches, kids, we're soon going to have to go through metal detectors to see a goddamn movie.
I don't see this happening. The guy came in through a fire exit, so metal detectors wouldn't have helped.

My big question is how he got through the doors. Aren't they supposed to be locked so people can't sneak in?

I don't see this happening. The guy came in through a fire exit, so metal detectors wouldn't have helped.

My big question is how he got through the doors. Aren't they supposed to be locked so people can't sneak in?
With a goddamn assault rifle, you can probably shoot through most locks. Those doors are mostly designed to keep people from quietly sneaking in, I'd bet.

Also, my knee-jerk emotional liberal reaction to anything like this is, "why the fuck was any of that shit he had legal to buy?" I'm not trying to start that argument, just sorting out how I feel. It's completely possible they weren't legally obtained.

Dave

Staff member
Bad people who want guns will get them. I was reading a story yesterday about a guy who went to the gun shop to buy a weapon and was turned down due to his being a fucking whack-job. So he sent his brother the next day. The guy bought a weapon and gave it to the first guy, who used it to blow away a girl he was stalking. The brother was never charged with a crime.

Bad people who want guns will get them. I was reading a story yesterday about a guy who went to the gun shop to buy a weapon and was turned down due to his being a fucking whack-job. So he sent his brother the next day. The guy bought a weapon and gave it to the first guy, who used it to blow away a girl he was stalking. The brother was never charged with a crime.
If guns were illegal to buy neither of them would have been able to buy a gun :whistling:

Here instead of mass shootings they have mass stabbings.
Yeah, i hear that's a real problem in countries where guns are illegal (hint: the close range makes it way harder to pull off multiple stabbings).

Although i think you guys have more of a gun culture problem, remember that kid that killed himself because his idiot father let him try out a submachinegun?

Like I said in the DKR thread: Jesus Christ. But I really want to hear this guy's reasoning.

The scary thing is, this is the sort of thing that my warped mind has considered before (not to ever actually do, but maybe for a story or something). Theatres are so densely packed with people that it'd be so easy to have a high body count. I'm really afraid now that we'll see some copycats. Which also puts into question whether this will affect DKR's box office, but that's hardly the biggest issue here, now. It's not just DRK, but it could be any movie.

Of course, the odds of something like this happening again in this exact same scenario are incredibly slim. I hope.

A scary thought occurred to me:

Remember the crap that Rush Limbaugh was spewing recently? How this movie was an Obama-fuelled attack on Mitt Romney or something? That people would assume that Bane is like the Bain company that Romney works or worked for?

What if the shooter was doing this in reaction to that? Some kind of fucked up Romney supporter?

My guess is that the shooter just wanted the largest possible crowd. That he did not care what film it was, just that the building would be packed.

This speculation is kind of unfounded until we have more information. It could be anything at this point, because once you shoot 50 people, all bets are off.

Also Rush's audience is probably exclusively really angry old dudes, not 20-somethings

Yup, it limits it to small children, and the death to injured ration is lower...

Of course actually treating the causes of what make people want to do this shit would be way better...

that's why they also go after easier targets.
Or alternatively "guy with knife gets disarmed by adult bystanders" doesn't get the same headlines as attacking kids...

who is you guys? Americans?
Ups, my bad...

I have no words for the tragedy.

But shame on your media. I wake up today, Google Aurora shootings and get a bunch of headlines that start with Obama and Romney express sorrow over Aurora Shooting and garbage like that. Jesus Christ.

GasBandit

Staff member
We don't know why he has done what he has done, but anyone who thinks gun control laws would have stopped a determined criminal lunatic is fooling themselves. Gun crime doubled when the UK banned them.

Dave

Staff member
He had the door propped open. Did he do that and nobody noticed or did he have someone else helping?[DOUBLEPOST=1342797703][/DOUBLEPOST]Posts from the movie thread and the shooting thread have been merged. There were two posts with an earlier date/time stamp which is why it looks like Ash started the thread.

He had the door propped open. Did he do that and nobody noticed or did he have someone else helping?[DOUBLEPOST=1342797703][/DOUBLEPOST]Posts from the movie thread and the shooting thread have been merged. There were two posts with an earlier date/time stamp which is why it looks like Ash started the thread.
Apparently you moved those posts just as I was scrubbing them from that page. Whoops. Sorry guys. I didn't even think to just move them. My bad. I'll buy everyone a beer.

We don't know why he has done what he has done, but anyone who thinks gun control laws would have stopped a determined criminal lunatic is fooling themselves. Gun crime doubled when the UK banned them.
It's a culture issue, but Japan also has made guns illegal and their gun crime is nearly non-existent.

Dave

Staff member
And Canada has a metric fuckton of guns and not even close to the level of violence. It's not the guns, it's the American culture of violence and paranoia/fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.