Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game! (Thread allowed 30 pages)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

escushion said:
Grendmir Akara, level 1
Dragonborn, Fighter
Build: Battlerager Fighter
Fighter Talents: Battlerager Vigor

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 10.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 17, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 12 Fort: 16 Reflex: 10 Will: 10
HP: 31 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate, Endurance, Athletics.

FEATS
1: Power Attack

POWERS
1, At-Will: Reaping Strike
1, At-Will: Brash Strike
1, Encounter: Covering Attack
1, Daily: Comeback Strike

ITEMS
Chain (10 ft.), Leather Armor, Greatclub, Grappling Hook, Adventurer's Kit
None of the powers you have selected have the INVIGORATING keyword, thus negating the usefulness of this build.

Gruebeard said:
yeah, no kidding. Leather armor simply won't cut it for a fighter. The way the class works, you're supposed to take the attacks. They should have a chance of missing you, escushion. Plate or Scale are really your only two options.
Wearing anything more than chainmail negates the benefits of the Battlerager build. Also change your weapon to match it as well.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

The build thing is really just matching a template, so I got rid of that entirely. I changed the talent to something simpler (1-Handed Weapon.) AC is now 18.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Grendmir Akara, level 1
Dragonborn, Fighter
Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

Starting Ability Scores

AC: 18 Fort: 16 Reflex: 11 Will: 10

TRAINED SKILLS

FEATS
1: Power Attack

POWERS
1, Daily: Comeback Strike

ITEMS
Chain (10 ft.), Grappling Hook, Adventurer's Kit, Warhammer, Light Shield, Scale Armor

K

Kitty Sinatra

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

escushion said:
Sorry, I thought it was more appropriate to start low and work up through getting loot. I have no problem upgrading to something tougher.
That's not the 4e way. :slywink: Plate only costs 50 gold and you start with 100 by standard rules. Well, "working up" now means getting the elite version of the various types of armor.

And I, uh, wasn't really suggesting a shield for you. Just pointing out that the choice between that or a two handed weapon feels a lot more equal now, and it was something to keep in mind if you start finding throughout the game that your Reflex is just way too low. It may not come up enough to matter, and it looked like you wanted to play with the 2-handed weapons

-- Fri May 08, 2009 11:43 pm --

HCGLNS said:
Gruebeard said:
yeah, no kidding. Leather armor simply won't cut it for a fighter. The way the class works, you're supposed to take the attacks. They should have a chance of missing you, escushion. Plate or Scale are really your only two options.
Wearing anything more than chainmail negates the benefits of the Battlerager build. Also change your weapon to match it as well.
Ah right. Missed that. Should clarify my advice to say a defender should wear the heaviest armor possible for the build. In Dave's game the Defenders have been dropping like flies - three times in one encounter even! . . . although we haven't been the ones to actually die. I'm seriously contemplating Toughness.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Well, I chose a versatile weapon for if I change my mind. I'd like to be useful.

And until the game actually starts, I can fix any given thing. Plate will put me starting at 19 AC.

I appreciate everyone's input. Every little bit helps.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Scale and a light shield is cool. No check penalty makes that choice interesting compared to plate and a heavy shield.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gruebeard said:
Scale and a light shield is cool. No check penalty makes that choice interesting compared to plate and a heavy shield.
Didn't know that about the plate; I did take the light shield to avoid it though :).

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Much nicer build, you could change around your feat selection but it works as it stands. I'd go with a longsword for the extra +1 to hit instead of the extra damage, but thats all just personal preference.

Gruebeard said:
Ah right. Missed that. Should clarify my advice to say a defender should wear the heaviest armor possible for the build. In Dave's game the Defenders have been dropping like flies - three times in one encounter even! . . . although we haven't been the ones to actually die. I'm seriously contemplating Toughness.
Thats more likely the growing period for a group of players learning how to play together as a team or adapting to 4E. My first few sessions the fighters fought like it was 3rd ed. and were dropping like flies as well.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
I'm currently making a Doppelganger Sorcerer.

Hey Shawn, do we get a Background bonus (since the Character Builder lets us choose one) or would you like us to ignore that?
Yes you can get the background bonus.

As far as gear you get the starting 100g and everything is book price to start.
Fighters really do need something better than leather if you don't have the dexterity or intelligence to cover.
I recommend Platemail but at least Chainmail if you want to keep some gold. I'm not going to be unreasonable with handing out treasure, so in all honestly you probably won't need more than 10g on your person as we start. It's not like you are going to run into an Inn that's charging platinum per night.

Group make-up wise I know that it's imperative to have a Defender and a Leader. Once those are filled you get a Striker. Controller is the last role you need to worry about filling.
With a group of six I would recommend two Defenders, two Slayers, a Leader, and a Controller.
Success in a campaign really is a matter of what tactics people use and how well you work as a group. But your odds are much more in your favor if you have all the appropriate roles covered. I'm not going to be restrictive on your choices. I just think it's fair to give you advice on the subject beforehand.

I'll go over what people have listed before and compile a list of the group. I'll post it up in a few hours. Gotta head to work.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Serin Legrange, level 1
Doppelganger, Sorcerer
Spell Source: Wild Magic

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 16, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 16, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 16.

AC: 13 Fort: 10 Reflex: 13 Will: 17
HP: 22 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +7, Dungeoneering +6, Thievery +10, Bluff +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Diplomacy +4, Endurance, Heal +1, History +2, Insight +3, Intimidate +4, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +2, Stealth +3, Streetwise +4, Athletics -1

FEATS
Level 1: Linguist

POWERS
Sorcerer at-will 1: Burning Spray
Sorcerer at-will 1: Chaos Bolt
Sorcerer encounter 1: Whirlwind
Sorcerer daily 1: Dazzling Ray

ITEMS
Dagger (2), Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Thieves' Tools, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Flute, Fine Clothing, Pouch, Belt (empty) (2), Flask (empty) (2), Candle (4), Oil (1 pint) (4), Lantern

I'll send you the Character Builder file in PM so you can have that info.

Note: Yes, my character is female. I don't wanna hear it. :tongue: I've always been one to say "I won't play a female in games like D&D," but here, with a Doppelganger, it seems to work better.

Another Note: My inventory list above includes Fine Clothing-- since she's a shapeshifter, Serin probably needs various changes of clothes. I figure the Basic Clothing can count for her usual garb (below), peasant, and commoner clothes. (I'll spend another 2 gp if you think it's necessary.) The Fine Clothing, to me, would cover one or two different fancier outfits for males and females. Say, a nice dress or noble attire. Let me know if you would rather it cover just one thing only. If that's the case Serin's gonna have to steal some peoples' clothes for her disguises.

This is her natural form:

In towns, she'll most likely assume the guise of an elf or human or dwarf or something to avoid trouble.

My own summary, I feel it might be better than the one above:

Name: Serin Legrange (Sare-en Leh-graynge)
Race: Doppelganger
Background: Cormyr (Wheldon) - Add Thievery to skill list, +2 to Thievery checks, +2 to saving throws against charm effects
Class: Sorcerer (Wild Magic)

Wild Magic Provides:
- Chaos Burst: My first attack roll during each
of my turns determines a benefit I gain in that
round. If I roll an even number, I gain a +1
bonus to AC until the start of my next turn. If I
roll an odd number, I make a saving throw.
- Chaos Power: I gain a bonus to the damage
rolls of arcane powers equal to my Dexterity modifier. (+3)
- Unfettered Power: When I roll a natural 20
on an attack roll for an arcane power, I slide the
target 1 square and knock it prone after applying the
attack’s other effects.
- When I roll a natural 1 on an attack roll for an
arcane power, I must push each creature within 5
squares of you 1 square.
- Wild Soul: When I finish an extended rest, roll
a d10 to determine a damage type.
d10 Damage Type
1 Acid
2 Cold
3 Fire
4 Force
5 Lightning
6 Necrotic
7 Poison
8 Psychic
9 Radiant
10 Thunder
I gain resist 5 to that damage type until the end
of my next extended rest.
While I have resistance to that damage type,
my arcane powers ignore any target’s resistance to
that damage type up to the value of my resistance.

Stats:
HP: 22
Speed: 6
Initiative: +3
AC: 13
Fortitude: 10
Reflex: 13
Will: 17

Ability Scores:
STR: 8
CON: 10
DEX: 16
INT: 14
WIS: 12
CHA: 18

Skills:
3 Acrobatics
7 Arcana
-1 Athletics
11 Bluff
4 Diplomacy
6 Dungeoneering
0 Endurance
1 Heal
2 History
3 Insight
4 Intimidate
1 Nature
1 Perception
2 Religion
3 Stealth
4 Streetwise
10 Thievery

Bold - Training

Feat: Linguist (Good for shape changers!)
- Dwarven
- Elven
- Goblin

Powers:
Level 1 - At-Will: Burning Spray
Level 1 - At-Will: Chaos Bolt
Level 1 - Encounter: Whirlwind
Level 1 - Daily: Dazzling Ray

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Sorry for the spam posts, but a few more notes:

GameTable uses pogs to represent characters/creatures/etc. The program has a library of pogs to choose from, but you can also make your own, like so:

I will be using this one for Serin.

If you want to make your own pog, it just needs to be a 64x64 image. I think you can upload it into GameTable yourself and have everyone else see, but Shawn might need it himself if he's DMing.

You can also set up your Dice Macros in GameTable. You might want to look into this before we start, or at least consider it after a game.

Speaking of which, Shawn, should we set up a time for us all to test Vent/GameTable to make sure everyone can connect and knows how everything works? This could even be just a half hour before our scheduled game time. First game'll probably be working stuff out anyway.

Also, Dave has some kind of Initiative generator. It saves time, so you might want to ask him about it if you're interested.

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to take control-- just bringing up potential issues as they come into my head.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

The more someone does the leg work the better.
Coming up with an adventure, putting it together, and keeping it going over a long period of time is the real time waster.

I don't forsee too many problems with the technology. But just make sure everyone has gametable downloaded (which I do not yet but will this weekend). How do you connect together into a single game?
We'll probably try to get together at least 30 min before the game just to get things fine tuned.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

All you do it open GameTable (comes in .jar or .bat forms-- I run .jar) and go to Network -> Host (You'll have an IP and Port number.)

We join it by going to Network -> Join and typing in the IP and Port you provide us.

Actually, anybody can host it, because everyone has equal "rights" over the board. Anyone can modify it, edit pogs, etc. When you get a chance to play with it, just mess around and see what you can do. It's really easy to set up a quick battle screen or scenario. You could also PM Dave asking for advice.

For dice rolls, you type things like '/roll d20 + 4' (minus quotes) and it'll do the die roll +4 for you.

You can set up macros to do a die roll at the press of a button. Like, I can create this macro:

'd20 + 4' and then name it "Arcane Attack Roll: Charisma vs Will"

So then I'd go to the macro menu, click "Arcane Attack Roll: Charisma vs Will" and it'd do the roll for me.

Plus, if you go into GameTable and type /help it'll give you a list of commands.

Supposedly you can set up maps ahead of time and load them, but Dave had lots of trouble with that. Might want to ask him about that too.

----

Btw, I just wanna go ahead and thank you for DMing us, Shawn. :D

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Yes, thank you very much. I'm looking forward to this. I'll send you our character files once things are hammered out.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
Is there a pog generator somewhere?
There is, but I couldn't figure it out at all. And that's to say, it didn't make any sense. However, supposedly it worked for everyone else in Dave's game (unless they all just photoshopped it like I did and didn't say anything).

Anyway, link: http://www.rptools.net/download/zip/tok ... .0.b28.zip

G'luck.

Also, this might be Dave's Initiative program I was talking about: http://www.rptools.net/download/zip/ini ... 1.1.b6.zip

Edit: TokenTool sets the pog's default size to 128x128. This is a Large Creature pog size. For your character, be sure to set it to 64x64. It can be resized in GameTable, but it has to be resized each time we put our pogs down. (Which would be like... once/twice each game. :eyeroll: )

K

Kitty Sinatra

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Yeah, that Token Tool is really very simple to use. You start by dragging a picture from another program (your web browser, for example) into it. You then select your pog border and image size, zoom the picture in and out and pan it around until you get it looking like you want. Save it to your Gametable/pogs folder as a .png file (IIRC) and it'll show up as available the next time you start up Gametable.

Shawnacy said:
The more someone does the leg work the better.
Hells yeah. Doom's doing great. He wouldn't even be close to stepping on my toes if I had been the one DMing.

One more point about connecting to Gametable: The person hosting the game needs to open up a port through his router, set up the game to use that port when hosting, and everybody else needs to specify that port when connecting.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

So, so far we have a

Halfling Warwizard,
A Changeling Sorcerer,
A Dragonborn Warrior
A Eladrin Warlock,
An Elf Cleric

I miss anyone?

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Apologies again for newbness, but... I'm a little confused on how Basic Attacks and my Dragon Breath work. Do I roll a d20 and add the Str modifier?

It says:
Dragon Breath
Attack: Strength + 2 vs. Reflex (I'm choosing Strength)
Hit: 1d6 + Con modifier

Does it mean use my Strength Modifier and then +2, added to a d20? Or is to hit actually using a d6? Sorry again. I worked out the macros for my other attacks, but this one's confusing me and I don't want to throw a d20 in there improperly.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

For purpose of attack rolls you will roll a d20 then add your (strength Mod) +2.
Since firebreath is an area effect ability you will need to roll it for every target within the aimed area.
If your roll meets or beats the reflex score of the target you hit them with the ability and they take damage.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

This pog generator doesn't crop the image! Must... have... perfect... pog.

Halfling Warwizard,
A Changeling Sorcerer,
A Dragonborn Warrior
A Eladrin Warlock,
An Elf Cleric
Pew Pew Galore!

C

Catafish

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

So it looks like I am going to be working next Thursday, so I am just going to bow out from the game unless you want to change when we would play to Wednesday.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

My fiancee has decided to roll an Elven Ranger instead (dual wield specialty) and will happily join me on the front lines. Too many magic users.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Well that's 5, so technically we have a full team (3 Magic users and 2 Martial - We gonna get raped).

Actually, wait, what does Dave's game have... 2 Wizards, a Paladin, a Fighter, a Cleric, and a Rogue. I guess that's actually pretty balanced.

As for you, Catafish, everyone's scedules were free Wednesday same times as well. So if Shawn wants to, Wednesdays would probably work, but as always, completely up to him.

I'd also like to say that I'm only playing a Sorcerer for the hell of it-- I'll tell you right now, the Wizard is by far a more favored class for me. Way, way, way more versatile. (So many choices for powers, including Ritual Casting and Cantrips, plus way better feats.) The Sorcerer... Well.. Much less. =P HOWEVER, I get +7 damage to nearly every attack I can do, so that's pretty kickass. (+4 Charisma mod, +3 Dexterity mod with my class feature)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Yep, we definitely need a 6th! Weren't we 8 at some point?

We really need to see how the 6th places their character, to see how party composition is. As well as the Ranger reroll. So that we can adjust our builds a bit to accommodate things a bit better during our adventures. :)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Question!

Is there a specific stat block (before racial modifiers) we should be using? I'm doing a little tinkering and wondered if I'm out of bounds in some places.

(If you can't tell, I'm pretty excited. Thanks Shawn, this is gonna be cool. :))

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
Question!

Is there a specific stat block (before racial modifiers) we should be using? I'm doing a little tinkering and wondered if I'm out of bounds in some places.

(If you can't tell, I'm pretty excited. Thanks Shawn, this is gonna be cool. :))
Each class has a stat they rely heavily upon. Seek to maximize that first. Thenlook at the classes 2nd stat, then try to balance the 3 stat blocks to even out your defenses.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

HCGLNS said:
Gusto said:
Question!

Each class has a stat they rely heavily upon. Seek to maximize that first. Thenlook at the classes 2nd stat, then try to balance the 3 stat blocks to even out your defenses.
Yeah I'm just wondering if there's a specific array we're supposed to be using.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

As in the point buy system? Those are free to choose from or create your own. The only advice I would offer to your character would be to flip your starting CON and DEX scores. Your INT will be used for your defenses instead of DEX, so would be better to swap it to one of the other defensive stats.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Updated summary, including new background, re-arranged stats, new last name, etc.

Errik Loreno, level 1
Halfling, Wizard
Build: War Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery: Wand of Accuracy
Background: Street Urchin

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 15.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 9, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 13.

AC: 14 Fort: 12 Reflex: 14 Will: 14
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Nature, Insight, Diplomacy.

FEATS
1: Ritual Caster
1: Halfling Agility

POWERS
1, At-Will: Scorching Burst
1, At-Will: Magic Missile
1, Encounter: Burning Hands
1, Daily: Freezing Cloud
Spellbook: Flaming Sphere

ITEMS
Spellbook, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Arcane Implement, Wand, Adventurer's Kit, Quarterstaff, Ritual Book, Animal Messenger, Tenser's Floating Disk, Comprehend Language

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

My gal's forum registration is awaiting approval (since when did we have that?) so I'm posting her new character:

Adia Il'Yuirwood, level 1
Elf, Ranger
Build: Two-Blade Ranger
Fighting Style: Two-Blade Fighting Style
Background: Aglarond

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 13.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 13.

AC: 15 Fort: 14 Reflex: 14 Will: 13
HP: 27 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception, Acrobatics, Endurance, Athletics, Stealth.

FEATS
1: Wood Elf Agility

POWERS
1, At-Will: Twin Strike
1, At-Will: Hit and Run
1, Encounter: Dire Wolverine Strike
1, Daily: Boar Assault

ITEMS
Longsword (2), Longbow, Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Arrows (30)
She implores that I post her background bits too.

Personality Traits:

Adia, much like the wood from which she hails, is a wild, tempermental being with no patience for lies and mind games. She can be rather fussy, outspoken and stubborn at times, feeling the need to express her thoughts and feelings to those she spends her time with. She has been criticised in the past for being too open and honest, but has also been seen as being strangely charismatic for it as well.

Mannerisms and Appearance:

Bright, piercing, icy blue eyes; long, straight white hair just past the shoulders; long, elegant limbs and a lithe, thin, sinewy body. Walks silently and gracefully, almost as if she is stalking quarry at all times; pantherlike. It seems at times that Adia's body is so trained in hunting for survival that it forgets how to relax.

Character Background:

Adia of the Yuirwood (which is deep in the heart of Aglarond) has lived in quiet solitude amongst her family of close-knit wood elves all her life. Hunting and gathering to survive, Adia and the entire Il'Yuirwood clan have become well known in those parts for being expert survivalists. A year ago, after Adia and her brother, Feriel, had returned home from their bi-annual trip to the Aglarond market for a few basics, they had found their forest dwelling completely abandoned as if their family members had never even existed. The whole clan had seemingly evaporated into thin air. Sinking into intense anger and grief, Feriel spent months hunting and searching for clues as to where his family had gone while Adia remained in the wood fending for herself. Upon returning home after 7 months of fruitless searching, Feriel displayed characteristics of a being possessed. Whether it was due to the intense emotional strain on his body and mind, or due to some supernatural force, Adia could not tell. He no longer slept or ate and he began to conduct strange rituals to gods Adia had never even heard of, attempting to bargain for powers and information far beyond his ken. Highly disturbed by this, Adia begged her brother to stop and tried to coax him back into some semblance of sanity, but it was far too late. After only a few weeks of this behavior, Feriel committed suicide in front of his sister by laying his head in a bear trap. Mortified and overtaken with sadness, Adia buried her brother and left the Yuirwood behind, trying to find a new life for herself and perhaps clues as to what had destroyed her family in the process.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Five players is a good start. I'll plug everyone's characters into the Character Builder tomorrow when I have some time. It looks like a good combo of characters.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Finalized mine:

Grendmir Akara, level 1
Dragonborn, Fighter
Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent
Background: Luruar

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

Starting Ability Scores

AC: 18 Fort: 16 Reflex: 11 Will: 10

TRAINED SKILLS

FEATS
1: Arkhosian high Style

POWERS
1, Daily: Lasting Threat

ITEMS
Grappling Hook, Adventurer's Kit, Warhammer, Light Shield, Scale Armor

Backgrounds gives me rerollable History check and additional language (I choose Elven).

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Shawnacy said:
Five players is a good start. I'll plug everyone's characters into the Character Builder tomorrow when I have some time. It looks like a good combo of characters.
Should we upload the character file to the storage site or?

Status
Not open for further replies.