Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game! (Thread allowed 30 pages)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

SeriousJay said:
Shawnacy said:
Five players is a good start. I'll plug everyone's characters into the Character Builder tomorrow when I have some time. It looks like a good combo of characters.
Should we upload the character file to the storage site or?
You can. People have been pming me digital copies as well.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Cool, did you give them the details yet? It should be functional.

I also updated my character some, even started working on a background. I'll upload my character sheet right now!

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Saryon Swiftfeet, level 1
Elf, Cleric
Build: Devoted Cleric

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 12.

AC: 17 Fort: 11 Reflex: 14 Will: 16
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +4, Perception +11, Heal +11, Insight +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana -1, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance, History -1, Intimidate +1, Nature +6, Stealth +3, Streetwise +1, Thievery +3, Athletics -1

FEATS
Cleric: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Combat Medic

POWERS
Cleric at-will 1: Lance of Faith
Cleric at-will 1: Sacred Flame
Cleric encounter 1: Divine Glow
Cleric daily 1: Beacon of Hope

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Hide Armor, Morningstar, Longbow, Holy Symbol, Adventurer's Kit, Ale (Pitcher), Mystic Salves (Heal)
RITUALS
Gentle Repose, Brew Potion

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Hey peeps, I could use some advice:

First of all, I'm hating how somewhat limited my character is-- but I really want to try a Doppelganger to see how that goes, so I'm not really bitchin'.

My problem:

I have 3 skills that I can train in. Arcana is automatic, so I have 2. I want Serin to have Thievery, but that's not on her class list. So, I have to gain Thievery in one of two ways:

1) Use a feat to get Thievery Training (Whether by a multiclass or Skill Training or whatever)
2) Use a background to get Thievery added to the skill list and get +2 Thievery checks and +2 charm save rolls.

I'm currenty doing #2. This puts my Thievery at 10, which isn't bad. Plus, since we don't have a Rogue, we might need it.

However, I'm strongly looking at the Auspicious Birth/Born Under a Bad Sign background, which replaces Constitution with my highest Ability Score to determine hit points. This would start me off with 30 HP, instead of 22, which isn't bad. My play style is "Stay the fuck away from people" but in Dave's game I've had situations where I was knocked unconscious in one hit. The only reason my character wasn't killed outright in that battle was thanks to Dave's generosity (a zombie decided not to eat me). I would like to avoid one-hit-wonder scenarios, and I feel like extra HP might help me out.

Thing is, only the background can do that for me, whereas I can get Thievery Training and + 2 Thievery checks via Feats down the road.

My current Feat is Linguist, which doesn't impact battles at all, but will be very helpful for a Doppelganger. (Changing into a dwarf or elf might not do me much good if I can't speak the languages.)

But, I can always get Linguist later when it might seem more necessary.

So, my question:

Should I change my Background (Currently Add Thievery to Skill List, +2 Thievery checks and +2 Charm save rolls) to the background that gives me 30 HP total, and change my Linguist feat to a feat that will give me Thievery? (Probably Pact Initiate.)

This would free up a natural Skill to train in, and at Level 2 I could take Linguist if I felt I needed it, or some other feat.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Just to add to your confusion, doom, I'll point out that the feat Toughness will give ya 5 hit points now and 5 more at each tier.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

And if you multi-class thief, you could train Bluff (if it's one of the sorcerer skills), you can feint in combat to make an enemy grant you combat advantage. Then, if they're close enough and you have the right weapon, free sneak attack.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Yeah, saw that. I could get the Background AND Toughness Feat to get 35 HP to start! :sobad:

But, I prob'ly won't.

If I were to multiclass, I'd probably go with Warlock and get Eyebite as an Encounter power. Sneak Attack requires me to be close to people, and golly I hate that. :p Plus, my spells will do way more normally (+7 DMG right off the bat) than my dagger could ever do with a Sneak Attack.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Yeah, Warlock does work better for what you want. Plus, since Eyebite is against will, it'll be hitting a lot more than the sneak attack vs. AC.

Just tossing it out there, though.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Howdy! This is Esc's [strike:3iax9qrf]evil slave driver[/strike:3iax9qrf] fiancee. Just thought I'd pop in, say hello, all that jazz. On top of my stats and whatnot, here's my character picture! (^_^) Enjoy.

Adia Il'Yuirwood, level 1
Elf, Ranger
Build: Two-Blade Ranger
Fighting Style: Two-Blade Fighting Style
Background: Aglarond

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 13.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 13.

AC: 15 Fort: 14 Reflex: 14 Will: 13
HP: 27 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception, Acrobatics, Endurance, Athletics, Stealth.

(Lemme add in my highest skill values for your entertainment!)
Acrobatics: 8
Athletics: 8
Dungeoneering: 3
Endurance: 5
Heal: 3
Insight: 3
Nature: 5
Perception: 11 (HELL YAH!)
Stealth: 8
Theivery: 3

FEATS
1: Wood Elf Agility - When rolling an acrobatics or athletics check, automatically treat a d20 roll of 2 - 7 as if you had rolled an 8. A natural 1 is still treated as a natural 1.

POWERS
1, At-Will: Twin Strike
1, At-Will: Hit and Run
1, Encounter: Dire Wolverine Strike
1, Daily: Boar Assault

ITEMS
Longsword (2), Longbow, Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Arrows (30)

Alignment: Unaligned
Diety: Melora
Height: 5'8"

Personality Traits:

Adia, much like the wood from which she hails, is a wild, tempermental being with no patience for lies and mind games. She can be rather fussy, outspoken and stubborn at times, feeling the need to express her thoughts and feelings to those she spends her time with. She has been criticised in the past for being too open and honest, but has also been seen as being strangely charismatic for it as well.

Mannerisms and Appearance:

Bright, piercing, icy blue eyes; long, straight white hair just past the shoulders; long, elegant limbs and a lithe, thin, sinewy body. Walks silently and gracefully, almost as if she is stalking quarry at all times; pantherlike. It seems at times that Adia's body is so trained in hunting for survival that it forgets how to relax.

Character Background:

Adia of the Yuirwood (which is deep in the heart of Aglarond) has lived in quiet solitude amongst her family of close-knit wood elves all her life. Hunting and gathering to survive, Adia and the entire Il'Yuirwood clan have become well known in those parts for being expert survivalists. A year ago, after Adia and her brother, Feriel, had returned home from their bi-annual trip to the Aglarond market for a few basics, they had found their forest dwelling completely abandoned as if their family members had never even existed. The whole clan had seemingly evaporated into thin air. Sinking into intense anger and grief, Feriel spent months hunting and searching for clues as to where his family had gone while Adia remained in the wood fending for herself. Upon returning home after 7 months of fruitless searching, Feriel displayed characteristics of a being possessed. Whether it was due to the intense emotional strain on his body and mind, or due to some supernatural force, Adia could not tell. He no longer slept or ate and he began to conduct strange rituals to gods Adia had never even heard of, attempting to bargain for powers and information far beyond his ken. Highly disturbed by this, Adia begged her brother to stop and tried to coax him back into some semblance of sanity, but it was far too late. After only a few weeks of this behavior, Feriel committed suicide in front of his sister by laying his head in a bear trap. Mortified and overtaken with sadness, Adia buried her brother and left the Yuirwood behind, trying to find a new life for herself and perhaps clues as to what had destroyed her family in the process.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
I have 3 skills that I can train in. Arcana is automatic, so I have 2.
???

I'd say stick with the background allowing you to train in Thievery and the linguist feat. Then at 2nd level take the Jack of All trades feat.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

ah jeez, you guys post too fast. this thread stayed at 1 page for like 3 days and then from the 8th to the 9th it gained 3 pages.

alright, so i have gametable, vent and the character creator, but is there a point? i saw you guys antagonizing about how many people we could have, and tbh i am a noob. should I bow out or is there still room?

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

We could probably use another Martial character if you wanna fill our 6th slot. It's up to you, but we have 3 fragile Magic characters already (was 4 until faline up there graciously became a melee ranger).

We just need another person to protect our squishy bodies from harm.

Plus, 6 people fills helps in the event someone doesn't show up, which happens frequently as far as I can tell.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

falineowlight said:
Howdy! This is Esc's [strike:acupdxcs]evil slave driver[/strike:acupdxcs] fiancee. Just thought I'd pop in, say hello, all that jazz. On top of my stats and whatnot, here's my character picture! (^_^) Enjoy.

Adia Il'Yuirwood, level 1
Elf, Ranger
Build: Two-Blade Ranger

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception, Acrobatics, Endurance, Athletics, Stealth.

(Lemme add in my highest skill values for your entertainment!)
Acrobatics: 8
Athletics: 8
Dungeoneering: 3
Endurance: 5
Heal: 3
Insight: 3
Nature: 5
Perception: 11 (* YAH!)
Stealth: 8
Theivery: 3

Hullo! Welcome! Looks like a great character roll. :)

BTW, since we're both playing elves and I'll be using a couple of hunter feats along the way to improve my survivability and inflict some extra damage to help the slayers at long range attacks, I'll be picking up WOTW at LVL 2 and I was thinking that maybe one of us can take the nature skill training and the other one perception for the benefit of the party (i'll have the same value of nature or perception at LVL 2 with 12). If you agree, one of us could switch. Would nature serve a hunter better than a cleric? Let me know. :)

-- Sun May 10, 2009 12:40 am --

doomdragon6 said:
We could probably use another Martial character if you wanna fill our 6th slot. It's up to you, but we have 3 fragile Magic characters already (was 4 until faline up there graciously became a melee ranger).

We just need another person to protect our squishy bodies from harm.

Plus, 6 people fills helps in the event someone doesn't show up, which happens frequently as far as I can tell.
Ya, I definitely would like another player, preferably another martial so that in case someone can't make it we're not short.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Hmm. the character builder doesnt seem to let me choose monk. instead, i think i'll go with a warlord.

Alright, here is my first attempt. i know there are probably a dozen things wrong with it, so point them out and i'll try to fix them.

i'll come up with a name/personality/backstory once i finish the build.

level 1
Dragonborn, Warlord
Build: Tactical Warlord
Commanding Presence: Tactical Presence

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 11.

AC: 13 Fort: 15 Reflex: 13 Will: 12
HP: 25 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +8, Endurance +6, Athletics +9, History +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +3, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering -1, Heal -1, Insight -1, Nature -1, Perception -1, Religion +3, Stealth, Streetwise +1, Thievery

FEATS
Level 1: Tactical Assault

POWERS
Warlord at-will 1: Brash Assault
Warlord at-will 1: Commander's Strike
Warlord encounter 1: Hammer and Anvil
Warlord daily 1: Lead the Attack

ITEMS
Chainmail, Heavy war pick, Adventurer's Kit

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Nope. I thought it was, but i guess 4e doesnt have monks or something. I went to warlord instead.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gurpel said:
Nope. I thought it was, but i guess 4e doesnt have monks or something. I went to warlord instead.
Not yet. Player's Handbook makes mention of the monks in the power source section (ki for monks) and says this power source and others will be discussed in future handbooks.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Hey Shawn, I've made the following changes:

Background:
Was: Cormyr (Wheldon) [Add Thievery to Skill List, +2 Thievery checks, +2 Saving Throws against Charm effects)
Is Now: Cat Burglar [Add Athletics and Thievery to Skill List, +1 to Thievery, +1 to Athletics]

Feat:
Was: Linguist
Is Now: Pact Initiate (Fey Pact) [Training in Warlock Skill (Bluff), Warlock At-Will as Encounter Power (Eyebite)]

Skills:
Had Training In: Bluff, Dungeoneering, Thievery
Now Training In: Athletics, Bluff, Dungeoneering, Thievery

Power:
Add Eyebite / Encounter

I think that's all the changes.. I can send you a new Builder file if you want, or you can change it yourself, whichever's easiest.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gurpel said:
Hmm. the character builder doesnt seem to let me choose monk. instead, i think i'll go with a warlord.

Alright, here is my first attempt. i know there are probably a dozen things wrong with it, so point them out and i'll try to fix them.

i'll come up with a name/personality/backstory once i finish the build.

level 1
Dragonborn, Warlord
Build: Tactical Warlord
Commanding Presence: Tactical Presence

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 11.

AC: 13 Fort: 15 Reflex: 13 Will: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +8, Endurance +6, Athletics +9, History +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +3, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering -1, Heal -1, Insight -1, Nature -1, Perception -1, Religion +3, Stealth, Streetwise +1, Thievery

FEATS
Level 1: Tactical Assault

POWERS
Warlord at-will 1: Brash Assault
Warlord at-will 1: Commander's Strike
Warlord encounter 1: Hammer and Anvil
Warlord daily 1: Lead the Attack

ITEMS
Chainmail, Heavy war pick, Adventurer's Kit
Fantastic looking build, but the DDI has purchased chainmail for you but not wearing it yet. You could also buy a light shield. Once you are wearing the chainmail your AC will become 16, 17 if you choose to add a shield.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Awesome, another Dragonborn with me at the front :D.

I'm also a newb, Gurp, so don't feel bad. Yes, your asses are guarded by newbs, except Faline.

I'm excited about all this.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

HCGLNS said:
Fantastic looking build, but the DDI has purchased chainmail for you but not wearing it yet. You could also buy a light shield. Once you are wearing the chainmail your AC will become 16, 17 if you choose to add a shield.

really?

well okay. thats great i guess. I wasn't expecting my build to be functional let alone good. a few things:

-chainmail has an ac of 6, wouldn't i have ac 19 with it on?

-should i go for 1hand+shield? I was kind of liking the 2h war pick.

escushion said:
Awesome, another Dragonborn with me at the front :D.

I'm also a newb, Gurp, so don't feel bad. Yes, your asses are guarded by newbs, except Faline.

I'm excited about all this.
yeah, the dragonborn's ability bonuses were perfect for an inspiration warlord so i rolled with it. time to absorb some damage, lol.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I'm doing 1h + shield. If you want to go the same route, that's cool, but don't feel like you have to if you wanna use the 2h pick.

Equip your chainmail in character builder, and then we'll see what your AC is for certain.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

SeriousJay said:
BTW, since we're both playing elves and I'll be using a couple of hunter feats along the way to improve my survivability and inflict some extra damage to help the slayers at long range attacks, I'll be picking up WOTW at LVL 2 and I was thinking that maybe one of us can take the nature skill training and the other one perception for the benefit of the party (i'll have the same value of nature or perception at LVL 2 with 12). If you agree, one of us could switch. Would nature serve a hunter better than a cleric? Let me know.
Let me start off by saying thank you for your kind welcome. ^^ Now, as I have had quite a bit of experience in both playing D&D as well as DMing, I wish to say that, "no, let's keep our skills where they are." And let me tell you why! :D Firstly, I carefully picked out my skill set to match my character and her needs. Secondly, just because 2 characters have similar skills does not mean it is a bad or disadvantageous thing to the party. Characters sometimes get split up, or sometimes one character can absolutely fail their roll and the other can do better. Really, having two high perception skill levels are fabulous for this very reason. You might not hear it, but I may! This could save lives in game, or at least a lot of hassle. Remember, just because you have a high skill level, that does not mean the dice gods will approve. ^_^

Again, thank you for your input, though, but I will be keeping my skills where they are and suggest you do the same. :slywink:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

AC: 16 Fort: 15 Reflex: 13 Will: 12

HCGLNS was right. i guess some sort of AC occlusion happened.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Originally the DDI had you wearing no armour, so you gained your INT/DEX bonus to defense.
Once you don heavy armour you lose your this bonus. The trade is the additional bonuses from the armour.
And if you go with a light shield you can still have it equipped and swing the pick with 2 hands, you would just lose its defense bonus while you are doing so.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

falineowlight said:
Again, thank you for your input, though, but I will be keeping my skills where they are and suggest you do the same. :slywink:
That's cool beans. :)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Tonight I'm gonna make my macros, pog, and write out my backstory. It's gonna be kinda interesting because my character is essentially a minor NPC from the campaign I'm DMing, and I'm gonna write as though he began adventuring after my campaign ends. If that makes sense.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

My only real complaint with my character is that I wanted her powers to be ice-based, but then all the ice powers sucked, so I went with random crap that sounded better.

But at least now I have a full range of powers. :uhhuh: I have a close burst fire attack, a single-target ranged attack that has the potential to hit other targets, and a ranged burst attack (that grants combat advantage and knocks people prone!).

I also really wanted Ice Javelins as my daily, cuz hurling 3 shards of ice into an opponent sounded badass (and at 1d10 each, that's a potential for 30 damage +5 ongoing, which is in line with 2 other powers with a potential of 30 or 36). BUT, I looked into it a bit more and you can only hurl the shards at 3 different enemies. And 1d10 on 3 different enemies isn't really worth it, seeing as my other regular attacks (including an at-will) can do 1d10 on multiple enemies as well.

So as cool as it is, it isn't worth having as a daily. So I got Dazzling Ray instead, which does 6d6 + my 7, so it has the potential to do 43 points of damage, which in all honesty could be a boss-killer. And it does radiant, so if we ever find a lich or something? Hah!

Plus my skills are abysmal. I'll probably need to get Jack of Trades, and I've been juggling trained skills around since I've made the character (coming to rest on Bluff 11, Thievery 9, Athletics 5, and Dungeoneering 7, which is all pretty low for Trained Skills).

But that's what I get for making a Doppelganger. I'm HOPING that I'll have enough opportunities to use the shape changing to our advantage that it'll be worth it. If nothing else, I can always make her leave the party and re-roll.

Anyway, I need like 2 more feats to make my character feel whole. I at least need Linguist as a character trait. Battle stuff'll have to wait I guess. (Most of the Sorcerer feats aren't that great anyway.)

I wonder if there are any rules about learning a language from another character. Like, you're all very different people that speak different languages. One character could, like... spend 10 extended rests / days learning a new language from a party member. After the 10 rests, the player could roll a d20. If he/she gets higher than a d10, the language is learned, and if not, you roll a d20 each day until you get higher than 10.

Granted, 10 days is a very short time to learn a language-- but it also makes more sense than immediately learning 3 languages when you level up and take Linguist. =P

Agh, wanna play!! XD Very excited Shawn, thanks again.

PS: Guess I'll have to write a backstory-- how are we all going to meet? Dave (sorry I keep mentioning his game but it's the only D&D I've ever played) brought us all to the same town via faulty teleportation gates. Are we doing the usual 'meet at a tavern' thing or...?

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Where the &^$* have I been? I totally missed this thread and missed out on a game. *sigh* PM me if you have the Char Gen and don't have the upgrade or need access to the books.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
Granted, 10 days is a very short time to learn a language-- but it also makes more sense than immediately learning 3 languages when you level up and take Linguist. =P
Don't consider it as being immediate. All that time before you select the feat you've been exposed to those languages, have been learning them, and even speaking in them with your allies who have the language. You just haven't been able to use it in adventure-useful ways. Once you select the feat, you just happen to have filled in the gaps needed to properly say what you need to in order to cintimidate that bad guy or read that strange message.

Status
Not open for further replies.