Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game! (Thread allowed 30 pages)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

How late are we planning to play, if we're starting at 8PM EST, 7PM CT?

I'd rather not be dropped, but I will admit I'm a newb, though I know a lot of the basics. My fiance has played D&D before and 4e a couple times.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I will need to be out the door at 10pm EST.
So at most that's 5 hours of play time.

We can start an hour earlier if prefered.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Confirmed.

That's 8PM Eastern. I'll be there!

1. When do we expect to finish?
2. Should we start prepping some character sheets now? If so, I'll be inclined to play Cleric as stated before.
3. It would be cool if we can start sharing our character sheets with others, just so that we can see who'll be what and whatnot. I could setup an FTP of sorts!

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I personally would vote for an hour earlier, but it's obviously up to you. You're the DM boss man. :cool:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Giving some people time to confirm. As stated we may need to cut people.
I don't want to punish anyone for being the last to confirm, so long as they do so within the next 20 hours or so.

If you want to start making a character that's fine.
Level 1. No magic items to start off with.
Available books.
PHB, PHB2, Martial Power, Arcane Power.
I think Divine Power comes out next month. But we'll be hopefully starting before then.

C

Catafish

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

That time works for me but like I said Thursdays are kind of hit and miss because my work schedule changes every week, so if you want to drop me in favor of someone who can make it every week that would be understandable.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Alright I just rolled up a Halfling Warwizard. This DDi Character Creator takes a little getting used to. :)

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I'm currently making a Doppelganger Sorcerer.

Hey Shawn, do we get a Background bonus (since the Character Builder lets us choose one) or would you like us to ignore that?

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Allen said:
Man, what are the odds of two people coming to the Halfling wizard conclusion? If going just off the phb, probably 1/64.
Hehe, I dunno man. I've always had a soft spot for halflings, and my last four characters have been human. As for the war wizard - I've never played an offensive caster, and thought I'd give it a shot.

I was originally planning on making a cleric but I think Serious Jay called that one. No biggie, I'm easy.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

SeriousJay said:
*hopes someone goes meatbag shield for the group*
Yer telling me. :)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Errik Valenti, level 1
Halfling, Wizard
Build: War Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery: Wand of Accuracy

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 12.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 9, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 10.

AC: 14 Fort: 11 Reflex: 14 Will: 13
HP: 22 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Nature, Insight, Diplomacy.

FEATS
1: Ritual Caster
1: Halfling Agility

POWERS
1, At-Will: Scorching Burst
1, At-Will: Magic Missile
1, Encounter: Burning Hands
1, Daily: Freezing Cloud
Spellbook: Flaming Sphere

ITEMS
Spellbook, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Arcane Implement, Wand, Adventurer's Kit, Scroll of Tenser's Floating Disk, Scroll of Comprehend Language, Scroll of Animal Messenger, Quarterstaff

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

What I do suggest though is that everyone creates at maybe 2 character sheets so that we have more options when it'll become the time to choose?

I PMed our DM about a storage website I setup for us where we can upload a copy of our character sheets and have extra information to be shared and downloadable/uploadable in there. I think we can get a lot of information shared between the players and refine our characters as go time comes closer!

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
Hey Shawn, do we get a Background bonus (since the Character Builder lets us choose one) or would you like us to ignore that?
I mirror this question as well.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Here's my first draft of my Elf Cleric : (any feedback is appreciated - i was contemplating playing a lazer cleric)

Saryon Swiftfeet, level 1
Elf, Cleric
Build: Devoted Cleric

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 13.

AC: 17 Fort: 10 Reflex: 14 Will: 16
HP: 30 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +4, Diplomacy +6, Heal +9, Insight +9, Perception +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana -1, Bluff +1, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance -1, History -1, Intimidate +1, Nature +6, Stealth +3, Streetwise +1, Thievery +3, Athletics -1

FEATS
Cleric: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Warrior of the Wild

POWERS
Cleric at-will 1: Lance of Faith
Cleric at-will 1: Sacred Flame
Cleric encounter 1: Divine Glow
Cleric daily 1: Beacon of Hope

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Hide Armor, Morningstar, Longbow, Holy Symbol, Adventurer's Kit
RITUALS
Gentle Repose, Brew Potion

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

So we're looking at a Cleric, Wizard, and Sorcerer right now. The next 3 of you to "confirm" might want to consider some melee classes. =P

[strike:1oveguvz]Bah, I can't decide between Dragon Magic or Wild Magic. Really, Dragon Magic has everything I want, but bases extra damage and AC on strength. Wild Magic is unpredictable (duh) and has way more stuff to keep up with than I care for (Pretty much every attack determines a random outcome for something I do, and I don't care to keep track of it) but it bases extra stuff on Dexterity. I'd much rather my character be based around Dexterity than Strength, especially since it'll be a Doppelganger, which will naturally be inclined towards Stealth and whatnot.

I could pester our gracious DM to make an exception (Dexterity for Dragon Magic) but that's breakin' the rules and really isn't fair. =P[/strike:1oveguvz]

Bahhh, decisions decisions..

Edit: Went with Wild.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
So we're looking at a Cleric, Wizard, and Sorcerer right now. The next 3 of you to "confirm" might want to consider some melee classes. =P

Bah, I can't decide between Dragon Magic or Wild Magic. Really, Dragon Magic has everything I want, but bases extra damage and AC on strength. Wild Magic is unpredictable (duh) and has way more stuff to keep up with than I care for (Pretty much every attack determines a random outcome for something I do, and I don't care to keep track of it) but it bases extra stuff on Dexterity. I'd much rather my character be based around Dexterity than Strength, especially since it'll be a Doppelganger, which will naturall be inclined towards Stealth and whatnot.

I could pester our gracious DM to make an exception (Dexterity for Dragon Magic) but that's breakin' the rules and really isn't fair. =P

Bahhh, decisions decisions..
Maybe if Shawnacy okays the background bonuses, he will allow you to make tat change instead?

/shrug

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
Allen said:
Man, what are the odds of two people coming to the Halfling wizard conclusion? If going just off the phb, probably 1/64.
Hehe, I dunno man. I've always had a soft spot for halflings, and my last four characters have been human. As for the war wizard - I've never played an offensive caster, and thought I'd give it a shot.

I was originally planning on making a cleric but I think Serious Jay called that one. No biggie, I'm easy.
Flaming Sphere and Second Chance will be some of your best friends.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Good question.

Even at that I'm sorta choosing which background would serve the most mechanical benefit for my cleric.... *mumbles* choices choices...

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Allen said:
Gusto said:
[quote="Allen, who is Quiet":j5wx3x33]Man, what are the odds of two people coming to the Halfling wizard conclusion? If going just off the phb, probably 1/64.

Flaming Sphere and Second Chance will be some of your best friends.[/quote:j5wx3x33]

Flaming Sphere has been a friend of mine for a while. :) And I took a feat to buff my Second Chance. :)

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Having second thoughts about being a Doppelganger. They're pretty underpowered in terms of bonuses (only speak one language, don't get extra skills, very little versatility, etc etc) and their Change Shape ability is purely for appearances only. Granted, this could potentially accrue some interesting situations, but the lack of extra bonuses/powers/abilities makes me hesitate.

If not a Doppelganger, I would probably go with a Drow.. The only reason I'm hesitating is because I compared the character to Alius, my character for Dave's game, and he has a wealth of versatility and options, whereas this Doppelganger just kinda sits there.

Oh well! Screw it. Doppelganger it is.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Confirming myself and my fiance.

I am a Dragonborn Warrior, she's an Eladrin Warlock.

EDITS:

Mine:

Grendmir Akara, level 1
Dragonborn, Fighter
Build: Battlerager Fighter
Fighter Talents: Battlerager Vigor

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 10.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 17, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 12 Fort: 16 Reflex: 10 Will: 10
HP: 31 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate, Endurance, Athletics.

FEATS
1: Power Attack

POWERS
1, At-Will: Reaping Strike
1, At-Will: Brash Strike
1, Encounter: Covering Attack
1, Daily: Comeback Strike

ITEMS
Chain (10 ft.), Leather Armor, Greatclub, Grappling Hook, Adventurer's Kit

Hers:

Aurora, level 1
Eladrin, Warlock
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Charisma
Eldritch Pact: Fey Pact

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 17.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 8, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 17.

AC: 15 Fort: 12 Reflex: 14 Will: 15
HP: 26 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy, Intimidate, Religion, History, Arcana.

FEATS
1: Improved Misty Step

POWERS
1, Encounter: Witchfire
1, Daily: Prophecy of Zhudun

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Fine Clothing, Tent, Everburning Torch

Let us know if any of the items we've chosen aren't kosher.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

SeriousJay said:
*looks at the AC 12 and whimpers*
yeah, no kidding. Leather armor simply won't cut it for a fighter. The way the class works, you're supposed to take the attacks. They should have a chance of missing you, escushion. Plate or Scale are really your only two options.

Another tip. You'll probably never notice the slight rules change for 4e: Shields give their bonus to both AC and Reflex. It can be a handy little boost and a decent reason to forego the 2 handed weapon.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Mind you, this will depend completely on how our GM wants to set us up. Will our LVL 1 newbies start with gear? If so, how limiting can it be? How much gold do we start with? A couple of extra guidelines on how to build our characters (using backgrounds...etc) would also help us get the ball started before go time so that when we meet we should have done some of the grunt work already.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Sorry, I thought it was more appropriate to start low and work up through getting loot. I have no problem upgrading to something tougher.

I have a feeling we're all going to get tossed an Adventurer's kit, some gold, and maybe one or two items of our own choices, but these are really drafts until Shawnacy tells us what he wants.

BTW Any tips for me are appreciated. Upgraded to Scale armor and added a shield. AC is 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.