Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game, part 2! (On Hiatus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game, part 2! (Thread allowed 30 pages)

My Magic Items :

- Holy symbol +1
- Healer's Armor +1 (Hide) (Purchased)

doomdragon6

Staff member

My magic items:

Power Jewel
Amulet of Health +1
Communal Dagger
Breaching Armor (Purchased)

------------

So, we've suggested taking a vote on possibly playing next Friday instead of Thursday. I could do this no problem, so my vote is yes. If anyone can't play, I'm assuming we won't.

------------

As for the Amulet of Passage:

+2 Fort, Reflex, Will
+2 Athletics and Acrobatics to Escape
+2 Thievery to Pick Locks

At-Will Power: You attune an ally to the amulet. While attuned and within 10 squares of you, an ally can use the amulet's power

Daily Power: You and each attuned ally can each use this power once per day. You teleport a number of squares equal to your speed.
------- The wording makes it sound like we can EACH use a teleport once per day, at different times if we want, as long as we're within 10 squares of the amulet's wearer. Or does this mean we all teleport at once?

~~~~~~~~

My pitch: I know I'm seen as the item hog of the group, and yeah, I do have 4 items listed up there.

But, the item is perfectly tailored to Serin's character-- she's the sneaky escape artist of the group, and is for the most part the "rogue" character (and I'm going to continue boosting her rogue abilities to help the party more. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to try to steal some items for us all.).

Plus, I have an Amulet of Health +1, which I could give to somebody and they would get a +1 to Fort, Will, Reflex, along with Resist 5 Poison.

The teleport would add to my mobility, but we'd all get that no matter who's wearing it.

NOW TO BE FAIR, I will list why I probably shouldn't get the amulet as well:

-I can teleport fairly regularly. So I rarely ever have to use a check to Escape.
-I have several mobility options, so if for some reason no-one else is in range, I don't NEED the teleport like someone else might.

Actually, now that I look at it, the only thing that makes me want it is the +2 to picking locks. Everything else is just sort of a bonus.

So yeah, I'll just leave it up to you guys. I won't push for it or anything, cuz I've already gotten several items and having Poison Resistance is actually pretty cool.

Edit: Eh, thinking again, somebody else should take it. If nobody specifically wants it, I'll trade for it, but yeah.

doomdragon6

Staff member

Alright, deciding level 6 stuff. Appreciating any input:

- I am retraining Whirlwind for Bedeviling Burst. (Close Burst 3, Choose 2 Targets inside Burst - 1d10+9 Psychic - Push Target 4.)

Utility 6:
- I can't decide between Energetic Flight (Daily - Until end of next turn, gain fly speed equal to my speed) and Unseen Aid (Encounter - +2 to any skill check every 5 minutes)

Energetic Flight would add to my already impressive mobility (Speed 7, Teleport 3, Teleport Through Walls 3, Jump 11). Plus, since it lasts 2 turns, it's basically a Fly 14. But, if it isn't used in combat (or even if it is), two turns means that I could convert my standards into moves, giving me Fly 14 per turn, meaning I could fly 28 spaces (or 140 feet), which is pretty bitchin'.

But it's also a Daily and I'd have to use it only when necessary, so it might not come up much. But it'd just be badass.

Unseen Aid, however, would give me a +2 every 5 minutes, which means just about every skill check, unless I keep having to make checks in a row. And that is very tempting, especially when my skills are so low anyway.

And for my feat, there are suddenly so many that are so tempting. But I've been wanting the Wild Shape ability for a while now, but that would be -almost- purely for RP purposes and wouldn't be very "functional."

Also, so wish we could get Dragonmarks. Marks of Passage ftw.

Maybe Shawn would let us work them in as magical tattoos or something? :unibrow:

Eh, I dunno. Any opinions on what I should do?

Dragonmarks would be broken as fuck.

-------------------------------------------------

My Magical Shit

Book of Undeniable Flame +1, currently working at about 2/3rds capacity.
Cape of the Mountebank +1 (purchased)

My Level 6 Utilities

Keep in mind that as a Wizard, I get TWO utility powers and can prepare one of them each day.

FIRE SHIELD
DAILY ARCANE FIRE PERSONAL
MINOR ACTION

You gain resist 10 fire and resist 10 cold until the end of the encounter. Whenever a creature makes a melee attack roll against you, it takes 2d6 + Int(4) fire damage. No creature can take this damage more than once per turn.

WIZARD'S ESCAPE
ENCOUNTER ARCANE TELEPORTATION PERSONAL
IMMEDIATE INTERRUPT

TRIGGER: An enemy hits you with a melee attack.
EFFECT: You teleport 5 squares to a space that is not adjacent to an enemy.

My Level 6 Feat

Bardic Knowledge:
You gain a +2 feat bonus to Arcana, Dungeoneering, History, Religion, Nature, and Streetwise.

TL;DR:
Errik now has more ways out of trouble, several 10+ skill checks, and can protect himself for an entire encounter as a minor action. Mixed in with my new once daily teleport, and things are gettin' pretty magical up ins. :)

doomdragon6

Staff member

Serin's Journal, Entry... I've lost count by now. Let's start back at one.

Sehanine's Moon, what a week..

Heh, haven't said that one in a while.. Not since the incident, anyway. I guess being in one of her temples will do that to you, huh?

So much has happened..

*about 5 pages explaining recent events, and a particularly sorrowful page about Kratash*

But, we must move on.. I don't fully understand what's even transpired here.. Everything happened so fast. Cearadwyn helped us, but.. Weren't we looking for Alderbrush? Bah, I don't know anything anymore.

Even Bertrow isn't acting as I expected. I could've sworn he was behind my clan's disappearance, but now.. I don't know. He actually seems innocent. Pfft. Like I'm gonna allow that to let my guard down. I'm making sure someone's got an eye on him at all times.

Right now I'm on Bertrow watch. Less by choice, more by strange dreams. Good thing, too. That big oaf Grendmir fell asleep during his shift.

Sigh.

I've been fiddling with this box for about an hour now and I still can't figure it out. I haven't seen anything like it and it infuriates me. I've never not been able to blast something open before.

Oh right, dreams. My thoughts have been all jumbled lately. I can't think straight. I bet it's from being around all these crazy Eladrin all week. Seriously, I've never seen a place with so many problems.

... Right, dreams.

See what I mean?

Anyway, before I awoke, I was having a dream where.. Hm.. I was trapped in some kind of whirlwind. I don't know, it was just swirling around me, suffocating me even. It kept swirling around and around me, getting smaller and smaller, closing in on me, until eventually it seemed to have absorbed into my body.. Just as it did, I got a searing headache. I doubled over in pain, clutching my head, and all of a sudden a huge burst of purple energy erupted from my skull. The headache was gone and I felt great. I have no idea what it means, but not that I think about it, I do have a bit of headache right now.. Hm..

Oh, there was another one too. It was very odd.. I was walking around by the outskirts of a forest.. It looked familiar-- It might have been from back home. I'm not sure anymore. Anyway, I came upon a flower and bent down to take in its smell. And all of a sudden I was a dog! Or, no.. wait.. It wasn't sudden, I actually remember shapeshifting into the dog, now.. Well either way, I was using my new dog nose to take in the flower's glorious scent.. And then as dogs do, I guess, I lost interest and wandered off. I saw something up in the sky, I don't know, I think it was a bird, and I got all excited and started jumping around and barking. Then my silly pea-sized dog brain decided to try and chase it, so I started jumping up and down, trying to take off into the air to catch it.

After a few hops I noticed my limbs changing again. I was shapeshifting into the bird I saw! As soon as the transformation was complete I took off into the air, soaring freely into the sky! It was amazing. Then, I-- don't really know what happened. I began to shift back into my natural form while in the sky. I started shouting, "No, NO! I'll fall!!" I don't know who I was trying to tell this to, exactly. Myself, perhaps.

Well, I did indeed begin to plummet. But about halfway into the descent I was able to sort of "catch" myself. I just sort of hung there, floating in the air. As my confusion was setting in, that's about when I woke up.

I guess they're not too odd for dreams, but still. They felt different. Well anyway.

Gah. This stupid scar, or.. tattoo, or whatever that lich gave us is burning. I can feel its power probing into my own conscious. It's giving me a headache.. Ugh.. Kind of like in my dream. I'm going back to sleep.

I'm sure Betrow won't go anywhere.

Sorry, folks.
No dragonmarks. Eberron only in my opinion.

doomdragon6

Staff member

They are kind of overpowered anyway.

Anyway, I guess I'm going with:

Retrain: Enc Whirlwind for Enc Bedeviling Burst

Utility 6: Energetic Flight (Fly 7 for 2 turns, potential 28 squares / 140 feet)

Feat: Initiate of the Old Faith (Wild Shape - Pounce)

---- Hey Shawn, if it isn't too much to ask, could these (or at least the flight and Wild Shape) come as surprises to Serin? Sort of like how you "storied in" Fyoosh, maybe something quirky happens to make her realize the powers?

With Energetic Flight, I can shapechange into a bird and actually fly! XD

LVL 6:

Power Utility - Spirit of Healing (awesomesauce spell)
Feat - Improved Healing Word (Healing Word also now grants +2 to all defences as well until the end of my next turn)

So, we've suggested taking a vote on possibly playing next Friday instead of Thursday. I could do this no problem, so my vote is yes. If anyone can't play, I'm assuming we won't.
I should be able to make it.

+2 Fort, Reflex, Will
+2 Athletics and Acrobatics to Escape
+2 Thievery to Pick Locks

At-Will Power: You attune an ally to the amulet. While attuned and within 10 squares of you, an ally can use the amulet's power

Daily Power: You and each attuned ally can each use this power once per day. You teleport a number of squares equal to your speed.
To me, the ultimate value of the item is that passive +2 to Fort/Reflex/Will. That’s crucial to whoever will take the blunt of the damage regardless of what other abilities that item can bring to the table. The bonuses to the A skills are incredible for someone who'll need to get from point A to point B. The thievery upgrade is neat but sort of an afterthought to the main use of this item.

The Daily power (and please remember that it’s DAILY, not encounter…aka. a one time deal usually used for specific moments) is incredibly important, especially when that given person needs to get from Point A to Point B.

Here’s my rating on who needs this more than others from 1(being highest) and 5 (being lowest)

• Grendmir (meat tenderizer needs to be healed less imo, can get to where he needs to get to without resorting to a charge)
  • Saryon (impromptu teleports to heal, doesn’t take as much damage or gets CCed)
  • Erikk (tends to get his face melted)
  • Adia (is ranged and tends to take less damage than others)
  • Serin (already has teleport and doesn’t take damage much anyways)

I'll be back later this afternoon to comment on moar stuff!

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

PS : I liked that journal, I missed the journal RPies, we need moar!

What did the tattoo do exactly?

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game, part 2!

We ALL attune to the amulet and we ALL get a daily teleport as long as we're within range of the wearer. So because Errik already has a neck slot item that grants +1 to ref/fort/will, grants him ANOTHER teleport, and he doesn't really use Thievery or related skills much, Errik's gonna pass on this artifact, knowing that he gets the most important part of it anyway. :)

They are kind of overpowered anyway.

Anyway, I guess I'm going with:

Retrain: Enc Whirlwind for Enc Bedeviling Burst

Utility 6: Energetic Flight (Fly 7 for 2 turns, potential 28 squares / 140 feet)

Feat: Initiate of the Old Faith (Wild Shape - Pounce)

---- Hey Shawn, if it isn't too much to ask, could these (or at least the flight and Wild Shape) come as surprises to Serin? Sort of like how you "storied in" Fyoosh, maybe something quirky happens to make her realize the powers?

With Energetic Flight, I can shapechange into a bird and actually fly! XD
k

doomdragon6

Staff member

Yeah, I'ma pass on the amulet. I absolutely don't need it. Grendmir's probably the best candidate.

And Jay, the +2s to Ath/Acro is only for escapes, not just general usage. So it'll definitely help get out of grabs and such.

Anywho, while we're innnnnn this place I can't remember the name of, we should possibly try to look into that coin Grendmir found. It might be valuable.

Edit: Oh, and the tattoo is the Tattoo of Shared Consequence. When a nonminion enemy scores a critical hit against an ally, any ally (with the tattoo, all of us) within range of the attack may reduce the damage done to the original target by any amount and take damage equal to the amount reduced.

I always forget about the damn coin, to be honest.

I see no reason Julie and I can't make it Friday.

I will try to figure out my moves/retraining ASAP; didn't get a good chance to look over my abilities yet.

We need to figure out where we're going next too.

doomdragon6

Staff member

So for next Friday:

Me: Yes
Jay: Yes
Daryl: Yes
Julie: Yes

Gusto?

-----------

Also, I call BS. I was completely unable to pick a feat like 2 levels ago, and now I want so many! Argh! XD

Also, I'm almost at the 680 GP range, so I'ma start lookin' for some gear to buy again. >=D

I can most likely make it next Friday, but I don't know if the Vent server will be full if Dave and others will be in there for the daylong anniversary podcast.

:eek:hwell:

I guess we'll have to see.

Not on mine and Julie's end. I wonder if there's some other voice chat thing we can use that will allow multiple people.

Well we can TRY Vent. As long as there aren't 10+other people online at the time it should work fine. :)

doomdragon6

Staff member

Aw, man. I gotta start saving my money. I found somethin' badass I want. XD

Oh, I also wanted to point out that when I asked, "Don't Julie's boots let her run without taking opportunity attacks?" I was actually partially right. They have a daily ability that lets her run without taking AOO. So when she was pinned before, she could have just "run" to her spot and been safe. =P

Edit: Nevermind, it eliminates combat advantage, not AOO. Plus, it's a -5 to attack. Man, fuck running. XD

I've spent no money except giving Saryon a loan, so I have almost a thousand gold. Still trying to find something I want to buy.

doomdragon6

Staff member

Man, there's so much I want I can't see how you can't find anything you want.

Right now my current purchase decision is between:

Spidersilk Mantle +1
Power (Encounter): You gain a climb (spider climb) speed equal to your speed until the end of your turn.

Wavestrider Boots
If you begin your turn standing on a solid surface, you can move across liquid as if it were normal terrain. If you are still on liquid at the end of your turn, you fall in.

Power (Daily): Minor Action. You can move across liquid surfaces as if they were normal terrain until the end of the encounter. (or 5 minutes)

I'm pretty much shooting for versatility in movement with Serin right now, if you couldn't tell. =P

QUESTION FOR SHAWN: Since the Spidersilk Mantle says "You gain a climb (spider climb)" in parenthesis, that means it's an effortless climb on any surface, right? Like, I could just hop up onto the wall, climb my speed, and hop down/whatever? Like a spider?

If so, that's absolutely what I'm getting when I have enough moniez.

Oh! One more question:

Wondrous Item:
Flask of the Dragon's Breath
Power (Daily): Minor Action. Drink the Elixir. At any point until the end of the encounter you can breathe fire, making a close blast 3 attack. The attack bonus is equal to your level +5. On a hit, you deal 1d6 + CON modifier fire damage.

This is quite possibly the worstly-worded thing I've ever read in the CB. It doesn't say what action it is to breathe the fire (I'm assuming a minor since it's mimicking the Dragonborn ability), nor does it say what the ability targets (Again, assuming the same thing the Dragonborn ability targets), NOR does it say WHEN you can actually use it! It just says at any point. Does that mean I can breathe it once in the encounter? As many times as I want? Does "at any point" mean I could even make in an interrupt?

So Shawn, since I was considering getting this, could you make the call here?

Will send my sheet to Shawn soon. I've updated my macros and all.

They must've changed something with 1-handed and 2-handed, so that now there's not even a point in me using my axe 2-handed. So I'll be employing the shield full-time now, and I retrained to have Tide of Iron so I can shove enemies as needed. (Reaping Strike was really just for a desperate 2-4 HP hit; waste of space when I have a +13 attack modifier.)

My feat is Vigilante Style. Apparently when I had an enemy marked, if they shifted away from me or attacked someone who wasn't me while near me, I was allowed to do a basic melee as an interrupt. I've switched the basic melee with the above-mentioned +13 modified Brash Strike.

My utility is Settling the Score, giving me an attack roll +2 bonus against an enemy that's damaged me until the end of the encounter (the move itself is a daily).

Also, Inspiring Word now gives 2d6 on top of a surge! :)

doomdragon6

Staff member

I was just about to point out, everyone be sure to update macros and whatnot. We got a +1 to just about everything with the level-up.

Also, what's the word on next Friday? I believe everyone voted yes, so is there a game then, Shawn?

AND, finally, we need to decide our next destination. I think before we agreed to head to the outher southern place-- I think it was the war dwarf guy. So, since it makes the most since in-game, I'm game (hah) for that.

And to answer Shawn's question before we all logged off ("What would you guys like to see?"):
-Well, I'm a stickler for themed dungeons (e.g., fire, ice, water, plantlife, etc) so something like that would be fun to me. For some reason, I'm especially interested in an ice-themed area. I don't think that fits well under our campaign right now, but you asked. :p
-What else.. Maybe more puzzles-- not like an entire dungeon geared towards puzzles like before, but maybe just one lying around in a dungeon to give us some RP and skill use. =P
-I also really like outdoorsy-type encounters. The fights against the goblin raid parties and camps and all that were some of my favorite encounters-- maybe it was because we were starting out, maybe it was the sheer numbers of the fight, I dunno, I just liked 'em. (Maybe a few fights where it's "lots of easy enemies (but not all minions)"? (Also, creatures instead of sentient beings is fun sometimes. Like the cockatrices.)
-Maybe (MAYBE- I know I'm a loot whore) more "random" loot. Like, I dunno, pick 20 low-level random-ass objects, useful or not, and have 'em sit on a list. Everytime we clear a room, maybe roll a d20. If you get a 20, then roll a d20 again. That number corresponds to the item. That item appears on something we killed or somewhere in the room, maybe even hidden so we can miss it. I figure this keeps them rare, not even wholely useful, but it's just something new every now and then. (Again, I realize I'm a loot whore.)

So, that's my 2 copper.

----

Oh, I've been meaning to do this for a while, GUSTO, Serin is giving you the Eternal Chalk she found while you were away way back in the Dragonborn crater. So I'm taking that off my sheet once you confirm and add it to yours.

As for what we'd like to see, I'm kinda with Serin on the themed areas, especially if there are environmental factors that could be used in combat or puzzles. I'm a big fan of arctic and desert adventuring as well. In my 3.5 game I love taking my party to underwater ruins or desert passes, etc.

I'm VERY BIG on the environmental stuff. I'd like to see us using our environment to our advantage actually be valid in combat as opposed to just choosing our highest to-hit, to-damage skills. Forcing us to get creative FTW.

doomdragon6

Staff member

I'm VERY BIG on the environmental stuff. I'd like to see us using our environment to our advantage actually be valid in combat as opposed to just choosing our highest to-hit, to-damage skills. Forcing us to get creative FTW.
Yeah, pushing people into burning braziers, into slime pits, into SLIMES, is fun as HELL. Watching people do it is fun as well. I "glee!"d when Adia used her attack to push the guy into the brazier. I even did a small grin when my Magic Backfire knocked the hulk into the brazier (even though it didn't do any damage that time).

Plus, the fact that we could've used the runes in the room to attempt to scorch them both when they were down there was awesome. We never got a good chance to try it, but I was wanting to go up there and try it so badly.

---------------

Also, I know I'm just speaking for Adia here, so she can tell me off if she wants to, but can we try to find her some magical arrows? I know she hates combat and more options than "I attack this. Wee." would amp it up for her. There's a whole lot of special arrows and like 20-30 of each would probably up the fun factor bigtime. That's just enough to feel like you can use them freely, but not so many that it's unbalancing in any way.

doomdragon6

Staff member

I just found out that this prom thing I'm taking my GF to (no, she's not in highschool) is on Dec. 3rd, which is the night of one of our games, so I won't be there for that night. I'd ask if we could vote to move it to Friday, but obviously I can't be upset if we don't. :p

Just a heads up and request.

What a shitty time for Thursdays. =P Thanksgiving, this prom thing (only me), Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve. XD

Okay. So Spiderclimb is definitely an ability that allows you to climb on any surface that doesn't have some sort of magical protection preventing you from doing so.

Flask of Dragon Breath: It is odd that there isn't a better description. I will have to rule that it's a minor action on your turn only. But I think it would be a good idea to check the forums and see if there is any official call on that.

Game:If the vote is yes for Friday then let's go ahead and schedule it for 4pm PST as usual.
As far as your prom thing, Doom we'll have to have another vote for that Friday if we move it. I should be good, but I don't want to dedicate every Friday to D&D. I suppose this is also a good time to mention that I'll be visiting family the entire week of December 17th. Christmas will be the following thursday/Friday, and New Years the following Thursday after that.
I'd oddly enough be okay with having a game both Christmas and New Years day. But that may change now that I'm dating and actually have a social life of sorts.

I'd like to find some Alchemy mats and maybe a lab with some recipes. I have the feat as a Bardic multiclass bonus but so far it's not doing anything for me.

Given some time and some mats, I could make some explosive arrows for Adia. I would've taken some time to do this in Astrazalian but time was very much an issue.

I'd also like to find some armor at some point for my character, who is still in street clothes. I have no idea what I want and not much money, so this is kinda low priority.

doomdragon6

Staff member

Cool, thanks Shawn.

So, where to, peeps? We need to decide where we're heading next.

Is the little area we're in still doing some business, or is it all closed up by now?

From Bridgeport, we headed south to Astazaylian, and the war that we think could possibly involve the dwarf since he follows those was southwest of Bridgeport, with the same amount of travel time. So... I'm guessing it would take us two weeks heading east to go there? We'll have to go back up toward Bridgeport someday anyway because the island with the Dragonborn was off the coast of some coast near there.

If I recall correctly. I say we head for the war. Even if we don't find the dwarf, I'm sure we'll get into something interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.