Shadowrun Returns : Anticipation Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game is fantastic. Lots of roleplaying. Lore is just right.

Minor issues :

- Occasional sound static.
- Not enough combat / real side-quests to make more money.

Saving system is bad however. Don't know what they were thinking. It's 2013.
What, does it have save spots?

Just an auto-save.

This is by far the biggest flaw in the game.

I'm hoping with mods and new campaigns this game gets even better. I'm really happy this game turned out this good.

Ok, startin' to run into more bugs now and it's gettin' kinda annoying. Especially since I can't find any sort of resource or official forums (aside from Steam's) that provides a path for reporting said bugs.

Loving it.
Roleplaying is spot on. The writing is fantastic. Really pulls you into the story. It's far more linear than I thought it was going to be, but I'll live with that.

Agreed that I could do with some more side-quests and "random encounters". I'm also disappointed that you can't loot bodies. I'd have a ton of cash!

I'm actually okay with the save system. I makes it feel old-school. Really, if you screw something up bad, what's the most you'll have to re-do - 10-15 minutes of game time?

Dave

Staff member
Incredible! I didn't know that Steam had this capability!

I just bought Shadowrun and thought I was going to have to wait until I got home to do anything with it. Turns out that Steam detects whether you are on your main PC or not and loads it remotely. So it's downloading right now on my home PC and will be ready to play when I get off of work!

I'm also disappointed that you can't loot bodies. I'd have a ton of cash!
Steam Community my friend.

The modders are already at work. There's a mod specifically for this already available.

There's also 3 solid campaigns in the works, among them, a remake of SNES Shadowrun version.

The modders are already at work. There's a mod specifically for this already available.

There's also 3 solid campaigns in the works, among them, a remake of SNES Shadowrun version.
If that SNES remake happens, I may just buy the game for that.

Oh, I'm aware. Checked it out already. I'm going to be keeping a close eye on it all.
There's a group out there that plans to remake all the original PnP adventures for SRR, but at the moment my google-fu is weak. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Overall, I give the game a solid 7.5 on 10.

I love the lore so much and the game does such a good job of it but the linearity of the game going from mission to mission with no side quests, back-peddling for karma farming leaves me craving the old SNES and Genesis games.

Overall, I give the game a solid 7.5 on 10.

I love the lore so much and the game does such a good job of it but the linearity of the game going from mission to mission with no side quests, back-peddling for karma farming leaves me craving the old SNES and Genesis games.
You'll change that to a solid 9 once the user content comes out. For many moons to come I'm sure.

Yep, though I'm apprehensive to see how far they can go with this game.

I'm playing a few missions here and there but being forced to drudge to follow any sort of linearity turns me off from games.

Sandbox or bust for me.[DOUBLEPOST=1374889395][/DOUBLEPOST]I got the SNES alpha, apparently he's got the game for a month now and has put in 160 hours and an alpha is out. Another team is working on the Genesis one. Excite.

The game engine is pretty limited. I think the mileage I'll get out of the user created content may not be that great.

Game's good, but they obviously overreached a bit with their resources.

Difference is I'm an adult with access to a bigillion times more games then when I was 10 playing the SNES Shadowrun.

So, I was about to fire up the game, when... aw... update. 250MB on a 3g connection. Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow, or not play anything on steam for 2 hours.

Difference is I'm an adult with access to a bigillion times more games then when I was 10 playing the SNES Shadowrun.
Doesn't make the SNES Shadowrun anymore amazing of a game. Not sure what your point was there.

Zelda 1-5 suck because there's a Wii version?
Metal Gear 1-3 suck because there's a PS3 version?

I'm not following your logic.

My logic is that a game that was great to a 10 year old despite it's flaws will not be the same to an adult with an infinitely higher resource pool to draw from. If this game existed when I was 10, I would have loved it. As it stands I like it, but it will never be the same to me as if I was younger. I'm gonna play through it and probably forget about it.

I don't expect the editor to deliver much new experience than the vanilla game does now based on how limited the game engine seems, hence my mileage comment about the game. It doesn't help that the game is short.

I don't know how coherent this post is as I am extraordinarily drunk right now.

Doesn't make the SNES Shadowrun anymore amazing of a game. Not sure what your point was there.

Zelda 1-5 suck because there's a Wii version?
Metal Gear 1-3 suck because there's a PS3 version?

The SNES Shadowrun is also NOT that great of a game. It's decent, but nigh unplayable by today's standards. Most people would pick it up today (with no previous experience with it) and think it was shit. This new Shadowrun is a good game, but it's not exceptional by any means.

Honestly, any game loved and played to death when we were kids isn't going to hold up as well today. Everything's on a different scale now.

There are some games I've tried going back to and they just don't hold up. I don't feel like doing everything in them because I already did, back when I was in grade school and had mountains of free time. Even a beloved favorite of mine, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, doesn't feel as epic as it once did. It's still fun and a great game, but it's never going to recapture the magic it had when I'd play it again and again during the winter breaks.

I'm currently replaying FF7 and still loving it just as much as I always did. I've got the steam version, so I'm thinking about using some of the mods that are out there to update the graphics.

I'm currently replaying FF7 and still loving it just as much as I always did. I've got the steam version, so I'm thinking about using some of the mods that are out there to update the graphics.
I know I wouldn't be in the same boat. I'd get a nostalgia buzz early on, but eventually I'd be thinking "I could be playing something else". I played through FF7 so many times, and in one of my saves, after I did everything, I just wandered around gaining money, hoping something new would come up for me to do. Never did, of course. I really needed a game like Skyrim back then, but didn't have the kind of computer that could run Morrowind.

There are some games that just don't hold up well, but mostly because controls have gotten so much better, for example resident evil and tomb raider. Tank controls are lame.

I don't know how coherent this post is as I am extraordinarily drunk right now.
That's all you had to say.

For the record, I wasn't talking about the vanilla game, I'm talking about the fact that the editor is going to open up campaigns that are amazing, such as the remake of the SNES game with current gen hardware, which is exactly what you're saying was the only thing wrong with the SNES game today.

You're saying it's not exceptional, yet it's the only game of it's kind (Cyberpunk RPG) and it's old school meets new school beautifully, something that almost no game gets right these days.

Anyone else perpetually stuck on "Preparing Shadowrun Returns files for install"?

I try and download it, and nothing happens. The progress bar doesn't even start filling up. If I look for pertinent files in Steamapps, nothing Shadowrun related is even there. It just seems like it's unable to create local game cache files. This also doesn't happen with my other steam games.

I know I can get the DRM-less version, but I use Steam for a reason, so I'm kinda bummed now. :(

There are some games that just don't hold up well, but mostly because controls have gotten so much better, for example resident evil and tomb raider. Tank controls are lame.
Yeah, that was a joy to discover. I bought the PS2 remake of Tomb Raider ... that didn't go well. The Gamecube Resident Evil was fun, but the controls were still a bitch.

And then there are old RPGs which go a little overboard with the random encounters.

Dave

Staff member
And then there are old RPGs which go a little overboard with the random encounters.
Oh God, Wizardry 8! Random encounters everywhere and they scaled to your level so that you had to burn all your spells and potions just to get to the objective. By the time you got there you couldn't do anything but run away and pray you didn't meet any randoms on the way back. It was absolutely brutal!

Dave

Staff member
Well, I just finished it. My character was kind of a mish-mash. I played a guy who was ALL unarmed combat. He had two spells - one that added +10 damage to unarmed attacks and one that blinded the enemy. After that I got nothing but Strength & Body. At the end I had a Strength of 9 and a body of 9...and that's before I got my outfit, which gave me another +1 to Strength.

The last fight was pretty tough, but I got through it. I always used the same team when I went in. There's a merc that is a weapon master that just kicks ass and I always took a mage and a rigger if I could. A couple of times I didn't have a say as to one of the members of my team, but you work with what you've got.

I'd give this game a 7/10 and once the new missions start rolling in it'll probably get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.