Export thread

Shadowrun Returns : Anticipation Station

Jay

Jay

YEP.

3 mo' weeks... even less.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I'm so so excited. Yes yes yes. You should post the link even though it's in the kickstarter thread.

Jay

Jay

No... but here's a gameplay video.

Jay

Jay

3 weeks officially!

Siska

Siska

Will it be released on Steam?

Jay

Jay

Probably?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I believe it will be, because it had that big shitstorm about them only releasing the basic game and the first DLC/expansion as DRM-free for supporters, mainly because Microsoft is forcing them to use DRM. So yeah... it's ether going to be Steam or Games for Windows Live. Or both.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

This is going to be coop yes?

Siska

Siska

Ugh, hope it's not games for windows live. I can't be signed in on my PC and XBox at the same time. Second account would fix that but I just find the whole thing stupidly annoying.

Jay

Jay

FUCK, THEY PUSHED IT BACK TO JULY 25! One MONTH?!?

ONE MONTH?!?!?!?!

U2Bci.gif

Jay

Jay

Me for a month.

BeOaE.gif

Jay

Jay

34 more days...

S5FdwOj.gif

Jay

Jay

21 more days...

Jay

Jay

10 more days...

ibjobIDf7Kiszt.gif

Jay

Jay

Just got an email... WITH A CD KEY!
YEEEEEESSSS

Still gotta wait though....

9 more dodos....

Bowielee

Bowielee

2 days.

Jay

Jay

5Cx3t.gif

Dave

Dave

So how much is this game again?

Jay

Jay

Less than an unused tf2 server

RoboKomodo

RoboKomodo

Pre-ordered on Steam two days ago. PUMPED.

Jay

Jay

Reviews are coming in 8/10 to 8.5/10. Mostly complaining it's only 12 hours long but with a editor coming in I expect many maaany custom campaigns.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Reviews are coming in 8/10 to 8.5/10. Mostly complaining it's only 12 hours long but with a editor coming in I expect many maaany custom campaigns.
A Western RPG that only lcocks in at 12 hours? That IS disappointing, from a genre perspective.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've never understood using the duration of a game as a metric of it's quality.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I've never understood using the duration of a game as a metric of it's quality.
It only matters when you take price into account. If I'm paying $60 for a game, but it's over in 8 hours, that is a poor investment of capital, especially considering I can pay $5-20 for a Fallout game and play that for a hundred hours or more. It's not necessarily a statement against the quality of the game, but the value of the game.

Jay

Jay

Considering the game is under 20$ if you pre-order on launch day, 12-15 hours is perfectly fine for a Kickstarter project that comes WITH tools to create more content for the community.

Bowielee

Bowielee

It only matters when you take price into account. If I'm paying $60 for a game, but it's over in 8 hours, that is a poor investment of capital, especially considering I can pay $5-20 for a Fallout game and play that for a hundred hours or more. It's not necessarily a statement against the quality of the game, but the value of the game.
So, by your estimation of value, all platformers are inherently worse than RPGs.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So, by your estimation of value, all platformers are inherently worse than RPGs.
No, because platformers from the 90's/early 00's had TONS of stuff to do. Super Mario 64? 120 stars to find. Banjo Kazooie? Tons of jiggies, jinjos, notes, and other stuff to find. Conker? Look for that sponduli! Shadowman? Tons of dark souls to find, plus hidden weapons and other things. A platformer can have a ton of stuff to do and thus has more value.

But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about a western style RPG, which have traditionally had several dozen (if not hundreds) hours of gameplay as a genre feature. It is one of the things that defines the genre. To not have that tells me that the devs ether didn't have confidence in their writing ability or the time to add more. Considering it's a kickstarter, it's probably the latter.

That being said, I thought Shadowrun was a $60 release like most games. At the price it's going at now (currently $18, $20 during other times) it's actually got a lot of value to it.

Jay

Jay

Decided to work from home today. :)

Should be available for download around 1 PM est

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Bought.

And now... we wait.

RoboKomodo

RoboKomodo

Downloading right now....wonder if I'll make it to work tonight....

Jay

Jay

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

And then suddenly Jay posts shortly after to say how disappointing the game is. :p

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

And then suddenly Jay posts shortly after to say how disappointing the game is. :p

Nope, so far it's pretty damn good. There's a -lot- of roleplaying going on. Lots of talking, branching conversations, exploration and investigation. There's combat, and the turn based combat system is pretty good (think x-com if it were done in the style of the original Fallout) but so far there hasn't been a ton.

My only complaint is that it uses a checkpoint system rather than save anywhere.

Gared

Gared

Apparently there's a bug with armor selling. Don't sell the armor you're currently wearing if you want to buy new armor. It glitches out and won't let you re-equip any armor, even if you go to your stash, according to Chris Kluwe.

Jay

Jay

This game is fantastic. Lots of roleplaying. Lore is just right.

Minor issues :

- Occasional sound static.
- Not enough combat / real side-quests to make more money.

Saving system is bad however. Don't know what they were thinking. It's 2013.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This game is fantastic. Lots of roleplaying. Lore is just right.

Minor issues :

- Occasional sound static.
- Not enough combat / real side-quests to make more money.

Saving system is bad however. Don't know what they were thinking. It's 2013.
What, does it have save spots?

Jay

Jay

Just an auto-save.

This is by far the biggest flaw in the game.

I'm hoping with mods and new campaigns this game gets even better. I'm really happy this game turned out this good.

Gared

Gared

This game really needs a co-op mode.

Gared

Gared

Ok, startin' to run into more bugs now and it's gettin' kinda annoying. Especially since I can't find any sort of resource or official forums (aside from Steam's) that provides a path for reporting said bugs.

RoboKomodo

RoboKomodo

Loving it.
Roleplaying is spot on. The writing is fantastic. Really pulls you into the story. It's far more linear than I thought it was going to be, but I'll live with that.

Agreed that I could do with some more side-quests and "random encounters". I'm also disappointed that you can't loot bodies. I'd have a ton of cash!

I'm actually okay with the save system. I makes it feel old-school. Really, if you screw something up bad, what's the most you'll have to re-do - 10-15 minutes of game time?

Dave

Dave

Incredible! I didn't know that Steam had this capability!

I just bought Shadowrun and thought I was going to have to wait until I got home to do anything with it. Turns out that Steam detects whether you are on your main PC or not and loads it remotely. So it's downloading right now on my home PC and will be ready to play when I get off of work!

Dei

Dei

If your computer is in sleep mode it might not work, just FYI.

Dave

Dave

If your computer is in sleep mode it might not work, just FYI.
It says it loaded. So if it didn't I'll have a sad and have to do it anyway. Otherwise, I'll be Shadowrunning at 4:05 pm.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, Steam does a lot of really helpful things that you never really think about.

Jay

Jay

I'm also disappointed that you can't loot bodies. I'd have a ton of cash!
Steam Community my friend.

The modders are already at work. There's a mod specifically for this already available.

There's also 3 solid campaigns in the works, among them, a remake of SNES Shadowrun version.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The modders are already at work. There's a mod specifically for this already available.

There's also 3 solid campaigns in the works, among them, a remake of SNES Shadowrun version.
If that SNES remake happens, I may just buy the game for that.

Dave

Dave

Just got home. Shadowrun was ready to play! Love it!

RoboKomodo

RoboKomodo

Oh, I'm aware. Checked it out already. I'm going to be keeping a close eye on it all.
There's a group out there that plans to remake all the original PnP adventures for SRR, but at the moment my google-fu is weak. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Jay

Jay

Overall, I give the game a solid 7.5 on 10.

I love the lore so much and the game does such a good job of it but the linearity of the game going from mission to mission with no side quests, back-peddling for karma farming leaves me craving the old SNES and Genesis games.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Overall, I give the game a solid 7.5 on 10.

I love the lore so much and the game does such a good job of it but the linearity of the game going from mission to mission with no side quests, back-peddling for karma farming leaves me craving the old SNES and Genesis games.
You'll change that to a solid 9 once the user content comes out. For many moons to come I'm sure.

Jay

Jay

Yep, though I'm apprehensive to see how far they can go with this game.

I'm playing a few missions here and there but being forced to drudge to follow any sort of linearity turns me off from games.

Sandbox or bust for me.[DOUBLEPOST=1374889395][/DOUBLEPOST]I got the SNES alpha, apparently he's got the game for a month now and has put in 160 hours and an alpha is out. Another team is working on the Genesis one. Excite.

Frank

Frank

The game engine is pretty limited. I think the mileage I'll get out of the user created content may not be that great.

Game's good, but they obviously overreached a bit with their resources.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

The game engine is pretty limited.
So was the SNES game, didn't make any less legendary ;)

Frank

Frank

Difference is I'm an adult with access to a bigillion times more games then when I was 10 playing the SNES Shadowrun.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, I was about to fire up the game, when... aw... update. 250MB on a 3g connection. Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow, or not play anything on steam for 2 hours.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Difference is I'm an adult with access to a bigillion times more games then when I was 10 playing the SNES Shadowrun.
Doesn't make the SNES Shadowrun anymore amazing of a game. Not sure what your point was there.

Zelda 1-5 suck because there's a Wii version?
Metal Gear 1-3 suck because there's a PS3 version?

I'm not following your logic.

Shawn

Shawn

I may have to look into this.

Frank

Frank

My logic is that a game that was great to a 10 year old despite it's flaws will not be the same to an adult with an infinitely higher resource pool to draw from. If this game existed when I was 10, I would have loved it. As it stands I like it, but it will never be the same to me as if I was younger. I'm gonna play through it and probably forget about it.

I don't expect the editor to deliver much new experience than the vanilla game does now based on how limited the game engine seems, hence my mileage comment about the game. It doesn't help that the game is short.

I don't know how coherent this post is as I am extraordinarily drunk right now.

Frank

Frank

Doesn't make the SNES Shadowrun anymore amazing of a game. Not sure what your point was there.

Zelda 1-5 suck because there's a Wii version?
Metal Gear 1-3 suck because there's a PS3 version?

The SNES Shadowrun is also NOT that great of a game. It's decent, but nigh unplayable by today's standards. Most people would pick it up today (with no previous experience with it) and think it was shit. This new Shadowrun is a good game, but it's not exceptional by any means.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Honestly, any game loved and played to death when we were kids isn't going to hold up as well today. Everything's on a different scale now.

There are some games I've tried going back to and they just don't hold up. I don't feel like doing everything in them because I already did, back when I was in grade school and had mountains of free time. Even a beloved favorite of mine, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, doesn't feel as epic as it once did. It's still fun and a great game, but it's never going to recapture the magic it had when I'd play it again and again during the winter breaks.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm currently replaying FF7 and still loving it just as much as I always did. I've got the steam version, so I'm thinking about using some of the mods that are out there to update the graphics.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm currently replaying FF7 and still loving it just as much as I always did. I've got the steam version, so I'm thinking about using some of the mods that are out there to update the graphics.
I know I wouldn't be in the same boat. I'd get a nostalgia buzz early on, but eventually I'd be thinking "I could be playing something else". I played through FF7 so many times, and in one of my saves, after I did everything, I just wandered around gaining money, hoping something new would come up for me to do. Never did, of course. I really needed a game like Skyrim back then, but didn't have the kind of computer that could run Morrowind.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

<- Still plays his old SNES, PSX, PS2, and GC games. Still loves them as much as when he was in school.

Bowielee

Bowielee

There are some games that just don't hold up well, but mostly because controls have gotten so much better, for example resident evil and tomb raider. Tank controls are lame.

Dave

Dave

This game is really good.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I don't know how coherent this post is as I am extraordinarily drunk right now.
That's all you had to say.

For the record, I wasn't talking about the vanilla game, I'm talking about the fact that the editor is going to open up campaigns that are amazing, such as the remake of the SNES game with current gen hardware, which is exactly what you're saying was the only thing wrong with the SNES game today.

You're saying it's not exceptional, yet it's the only game of it's kind (Cyberpunk RPG) and it's old school meets new school beautifully, something that almost no game gets right these days.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Anyone else perpetually stuck on "Preparing Shadowrun Returns files for install"?

I try and download it, and nothing happens. The progress bar doesn't even start filling up. If I look for pertinent files in Steamapps, nothing Shadowrun related is even there. It just seems like it's unable to create local game cache files. This also doesn't happen with my other steam games.

I know I can get the DRM-less version, but I use Steam for a reason, so I'm kinda bummed now. :(

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

There are some games that just don't hold up well, but mostly because controls have gotten so much better, for example resident evil and tomb raider. Tank controls are lame.
Yeah, that was a joy to discover. I bought the PS2 remake of Tomb Raider ... that didn't go well. The Gamecube Resident Evil was fun, but the controls were still a bitch.

And then there are old RPGs which go a little overboard with the random encounters.

Dave

Dave

And then there are old RPGs which go a little overboard with the random encounters.
Oh God, Wizardry 8! Random encounters everywhere and they scaled to your level so that you had to burn all your spells and potions just to get to the objective. By the time you got there you couldn't do anything but run away and pray you didn't meet any randoms on the way back. It was absolutely brutal!

Dave

Dave

Well, I just finished it. My character was kind of a mish-mash. I played a guy who was ALL unarmed combat. He had two spells - one that added +10 damage to unarmed attacks and one that blinded the enemy. After that I got nothing but Strength & Body. At the end I had a Strength of 9 and a body of 9...and that's before I got my outfit, which gave me another +1 to Strength.

The last fight was pretty tough, but I got through it. I always used the same team when I went in. There's a merc that is a weapon master that just kicks ass and I always took a mage and a rigger if I could. A couple of times I didn't have a say as to one of the members of my team, but you work with what you've got.

I'd give this game a 7/10 and once the new missions start rolling in it'll probably get better.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I just checked the Can You Run it site and my notebook can't run it. :( I thought it would've had smaller requirements, but oh well.

Shawn

Shawn

I want to get this. But sadly I don't get the chance to play on my computer much.

Draxo

Draxo

Really enjoying this game thus far. The immersion, writing and characters are top notch.

Only niggling annoyances are the saving system and the spell equipping system. I just don't know why I have to visit a shop/locker to equip spells I know.

Was playing an elven pistol shaman.. but I just had to reinstall my OS to fix an error on my system. Not sure what i'll play when I start my game again. I'm very fond of shaman's so i'll probably make another. Haste, slow and healing are incredibly useful. the summons are less so.. even with incredibly high willpower/charisma/spirit control i'm losing control of my spirits WAY too often. Even the shoddy rank 1 ones.

Dave

Dave

I started a new guy last night and went full magic. It's nearly impossible to start out like that. In the first fight (in which you can't die) you have NO ABILITY to hit the enemy as you don't have any weapon skills and have no spells. Once you hit the real world you do get 1 spell right at the beginning, but it's worse than even the pistol. My guy started with a 4 INT/Spellcasting and I was doing 6 damage. Had I put those points into a weapon skill, I'd have done more. At least you have a bit of time to get spells, but not until you get a little ways along. And by then I had to waste 2 karma points to get pistol 1 skill so I could fight at least a little. And healing?!? Don't get me started. Let me heal X amount, not up to X amount from the last attack. If I can't reach them soon then I can't do anything about the damage.

So while the game is not perfect, it is fun. I can't wait for there to be more user-generated content or runs. You spend hardly any time in the matrix and when you do it's alone.

Draxo

Draxo

Yeah my first character was pure magic. Really rough going. Thankfully Jake is more than able to pick up the slack in the beginning part.

Probably best to always start with a weapon skill even if you are a spellcaster, due to the spell-less start (at least for shaman).

Anyhow, made myself a troll shaman this time. Named him Bull. Going with a combat shaman route: shaman spells, melee and heavy pistol.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So it turns out my notebook CAN play it. It can play it just fine, in fact. A friend of mine had a Steam code for an extra copy of the game and gave it to me. I've played through the first couple of missions so far and I'm enjoying it enough. I'm not all that engaged with the story so far, but it's good, I guess. I don't imagine this is a game that'll get a lot of play from me, but I'm digging it enough.

Dave

Dave

Replayability is almost nil right now. Or at least until there are more missions available.

I started a new guy yesterday because magic only is frickin hard! This guy is a total rifle/quickness/decker. Right now I've got 8 Quickness, +2 Quickness from cybernetics, +1 Quickness from my armor. Brawlers absolutely HATE me as I dodge all of their attacks. Me? I have a 99% to hit on almost every shot. Half way across the board cowering behind a desk? 90% chance to hit with a 23% crit rate. How far along am I? I just started going after the bug spray.

Magic = hard. Guns = easy sauce.

Draxo

Draxo

Magic does have a few things going for it: Manabolt / Manaball target willpower, so essentially bypasses all most enemies defences.

Also tip for starting: grab 4 strength and when you get to the market to save the shopkeepers right at the start use intimidate with the 4str option. Tell them to drop it and tell them you don't want their scraps. gets you =1AP.

Fighting them off gets you nothing.. but my troll essentially started the game with 3ap that way.

Dave

Dave

Whoa! That's huge. So about half way through you get 4 AP?

Draxo

Draxo

I tried it again and didn't get the AP.

AP gain must be based off your total karma spent and I messed with my game to give myself the points back in the skills I had before my reformat. Sorry for giving false information.

Frank

Frank

So, I've played through most of it now and it's a solid 7/10. It's good, but it really is held back by how limited the game engine itself is. It's a much, much simpler Fallout Tactics.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

So, I've played through most of it now and it's a solid 7/10. It's good, but it really is held back by how limited the game engine itself is. It's a much, much simpler Fallout Tactics.

I'm inclined to agree, though I think if the community campaigns really start pushing out, it will push up another point or two.

Dave

Dave

The part I really hate?

Giant fucking bugs. When you kill one it comes back as a spirit and if you have the Aegis weapons you have only 1 round to kill it or it comes back. And since each Aegis weapon can only shoot twice before you have to take an action and reload, it's a real pain in the ass unless you get the two people who can use them together. I know I've won the game twice, but if your character can't shoot a gun you can't win!!

Frank

Frank

So, just finished it (and spent 10 minutes finding my name in the credits because I'm vain, fast forward is too slow) and I'm glad it's as short as it is. The combat is so simplistic that it was getting very dull by the end.

Draxo

Draxo

The part I really hate?

Giant fucking bugs. When you kill one it comes back as a spirit and if you have the Aegis weapons you have only 1 round to kill it or it comes back. And since each Aegis weapon can only shoot twice before you have to take an action and reload, it's a real pain in the ass unless you get the two people who can use them together. I know I've won the game twice, but if your character can't shoot a gun you can't win!!
Yeah the ending mission was a sticker for me too, but I enjoyed the ending otherwise.

Here's a tip:

Line up your 3 guys with the guns beside the bug after it dies (you did bring the ghost dude right? I know despite his skills he seems like a failure but..) and set overwatch on the spot, its possible to kill it once it comes back immediately, and otherwise have the next round to kill it after a round of fire. In theory this should be more than enough with the 70-80% accuracy I got with those guns.. in practice 70-80% ni this game feels more like 30-40%..)

But yeah: magic SHOULD hurt them. It does in the books I think and melee weapons ALSO hurt them in the books. In fact I remember in one book a squad of soldiers grabbed kitchen knives to combat bugs after their guns were shown useless.. I might be misremembering though, that might have been just the physical ones. Either way the idea was 'a melee attack carries part of your will with it, you can defeat a spirit with your will alone' or something to that effect.)

Anyway, letting magic and melee hurt them would have made this game much better. Even if you had to be told how to like.. focus your will/magic on your weapon/spells afterward so the plot worked.. that way 2/3 of playstyles wouldn't have been rendered useless.

Otherwise, with the foundry for player generated content this is an 8/10 in my book. Loved the game.