Shadowrun Returns : Anticipation Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it will be, because it had that big shitstorm about them only releasing the basic game and the first DLC/expansion as DRM-free for supporters, mainly because Microsoft is forcing them to use DRM. So yeah... it's ether going to be Steam or Games for Windows Live. Or both.

Ugh, hope it's not games for windows live. I can't be signed in on my PC and XBox at the same time. Second account would fix that but I just find the whole thing stupidly annoying.

Reviews are coming in 8/10 to 8.5/10. Mostly complaining it's only 12 hours long but with a editor coming in I expect many maaany custom campaigns.

Reviews are coming in 8/10 to 8.5/10. Mostly complaining it's only 12 hours long but with a editor coming in I expect many maaany custom campaigns.
A Western RPG that only lcocks in at 12 hours? That IS disappointing, from a genre perspective.

I've never understood using the duration of a game as a metric of it's quality.
It only matters when you take price into account. If I'm paying $60 for a game, but it's over in 8 hours, that is a poor investment of capital, especially considering I can pay $5-20 for a Fallout game and play that for a hundred hours or more. It's not necessarily a statement against the quality of the game, but the value of the game.

Considering the game is under 20$ if you pre-order on launch day, 12-15 hours is perfectly fine for a Kickstarter project that comes WITH tools to create more content for the community.

It only matters when you take price into account. If I'm paying $60 for a game, but it's over in 8 hours, that is a poor investment of capital, especially considering I can pay $5-20 for a Fallout game and play that for a hundred hours or more. It's not necessarily a statement against the quality of the game, but the value of the game.
So, by your estimation of value, all platformers are inherently worse than RPGs.

So, by your estimation of value, all platformers are inherently worse than RPGs.
No, because platformers from the 90's/early 00's had TONS of stuff to do. Super Mario 64? 120 stars to find. Banjo Kazooie? Tons of jiggies, jinjos, notes, and other stuff to find. Conker? Look for that sponduli! Shadowman? Tons of dark souls to find, plus hidden weapons and other things. A platformer can have a ton of stuff to do and thus has more value.

But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about a western style RPG, which have traditionally had several dozen (if not hundreds) hours of gameplay as a genre feature. It is one of the things that defines the genre. To not have that tells me that the devs ether didn't have confidence in their writing ability or the time to add more. Considering it's a kickstarter, it's probably the latter.

That being said, I thought Shadowrun was a $60 release like most games. At the price it's going at now (currently $18, $20 during other times) it's actually got a lot of value to it.

And then suddenly Jay posts shortly after to say how disappointing the game is. :p

Nope, so far it's pretty damn good. There's a -lot- of roleplaying going on. Lots of talking, branching conversations, exploration and investigation. There's combat, and the turn based combat system is pretty good (think x-com if it were done in the style of the original Fallout) but so far there hasn't been a ton.

My only complaint is that it uses a checkpoint system rather than save anywhere.

Apparently there's a bug with armor selling. Don't sell the armor you're currently wearing if you want to buy new armor. It glitches out and won't let you re-equip any armor, even if you go to your stash, according to Chris Kluwe.

This game is fantastic. Lots of roleplaying. Lore is just right.

Minor issues :

- Occasional sound static.
- Not enough combat / real side-quests to make more money.

Saving system is bad however. Don't know what they were thinking. It's 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.