Seriously, are all antivirues programs shit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chazwozel

Used to use Norton Corporate. It's a hog.

Recently am using AVG and now it's giving me shit loads of pop ups to upgrade.

Is there a fucking antivirus program out there that is just plain down to Earth simple, with no fucking fancy pants home screens. All I want is a program that just runs in the background with no frills, no bells, no whistles, while not killing my system to do so. I liked Norton Corp. because it did that except it also ate memory like a bitch. AVG used to do that until recently with ver 9.

GAH!!!

Avast sucks
McAfee sucks.

I wish Microsoft would just buck the fuck up and provide antivirus software of their own as a part of Windows.

C

Cuyval Dar

They would get their asses sued off by the State Department.

Personally, I haven't used anti-virus in 2 years. Between running well secured Linux/BSD machines, and not fscking around on Windows machines, I haven't had a single virus.

S

Silvanesti

yup they all suck. Backup your system and adblock is all i need.

C

Cuyval Dar

They just can't bundle it with Windows. Providing it as a separate download is fine.

figmentPez

Staff member
Recently am using AVG and now it's giving me shit loads of pop ups to upgrade.
So, update to the latest free version and the warnings should stop.

Oh, wait, I never updated the machine I'm on, and the notices stopped. Last time AVG did pop-ups asking for upgrades there was a bug where the system would keep showing the pop-up even though it was only supposed to show once. You might check the AVG support forums to see if there is a fix to get it to stop showing.

Yeah, thanks for that link, Klew. I didn't know they had that out. The virus scanner I had just recently started going to crap as well. Thanks again!

I've been using Comodo's free Internet Security suite. I can't really attest to the efficacy of the AV program, but it's stopped a couple attempts to install malware from popups and it's pretty resource-friendly. Looking at my program manager, it looks like it's using between 5-13MB of system memory. The firewall is also pretty easy to use and seems fairly robust. Thus far, I have no complaints.

They would get their asses sued off by the State Department.

Personally, I haven't used anti-virus in 2 years. Between running well secured Linux/BSD machines, and not fscking around on Windows machines, I haven't had a single virus.
bsd high five!

anyway no chaz you are p. much screwed. imo, get noscript for firefox, and dont download any suspicious files/pron and you will be fine.

H

Heavan

I learned ages ago that I'll never be good enough with computers to prevent viruses. So, now I just do important non-internet things (like writing) on a laptop with all means to access internet disabled. As for my desktop, let the viruses come. At worst I'll need to erase it all and start over.

Free: The previously mentioned MSE.
Reasonably priced: NOD32 - consistently in the 90+ percentile and has the fastest heuristic scan and the lowest memory footprint. Interferes with your system the least while providing excellent protection.

Also, there is the FreeBSD or Debian/Ubuntu option, though of course that is mostly for diehard types.

--Patrick

SeriousJay's 3 Step to Winning at the Internet

1. Install Firefox, remove all shortcuts to IE.
2. Install the No Script plugin. http://noscript.net/
3. Don't install retard apps like emule or Limewire.

Enjoy the win.

Once, Firefox saved me from a Yahoo mess virus which i clicked on by mistake somehow... i mean it was like the 10th time i got the message from that ID (plenty of my college friends got their ID's infected regularly) and i had always closed it and told her she's got a virus, but for some reason this time i clicked the link after thinking i should close the window... stupid brain misfiring.

As the virus needed IE to d/l all i got was a page error...

C

Chazwozel

Enjoy the win.
Already do this. I need a virus checker though and spyware checker. I keep really sensitive stuff on my P.C.

Enjoy the win.
Already do this. I need a virus checker though and spyware checker. I keep really sensitive stuff on my P.C.[/QUOTE]

If you keep sensitive stuff on a computer, it shouldn't be on the internet.

Get a storage computer and put the files there and share them on your network with all right except for delete and access them from your main computer.

:)

C

Chazwozel

Enjoy the win.
Already do this. I need a virus checker though and spyware checker. I keep really sensitive stuff on my P.C.[/quote]

If you keep sensitive stuff on a computer, it shouldn't be on the internet.

Get a storage computer and put the files there and share them on your network with all right except for delete and access them from your main computer.

:)[/QUOTE]

It's a networked computer and my company does all it's security mumbo jumbo for us. Since I have full access admin rights, I don't like using standard McAfee shit they pre-instal. I'm not asking how I should organize my files, I just want an non bloated antivirus program.

Dave

Staff member
Avast is terrible and has a very bad user interface.

Malwarebytes has rocked for me. http://www.malwarebytes.org/
I completely disagree.[/quote]

You have that right. Welcome to America. ;)[/quote]

Dave, malwarebytes is recognized by Windows right? I won't get that stupid little message in the corner saying I'm not protected right?[/QUOTE]

It won't show up.

If you turn it off.

So...no. Windows doesn't recognize it.

I'm not asking how I should organize my files, I just want an non bloated antivirus program.
This question is: Answered
Total number of 'solved' answers: 3
Clone your drive, try one of the demos (for NOD32, Kaspersky, whatever), and run some benchmarks. If you don't like what you see, restore from the clone. Keep the one you like best. Done.

--Patrick

Man... I remember having to restore my old Dell every other month... my wife would click on pop ups just to shut them... needless to say, she isn't allowed to use a PC anymore. Suddenly my work load went down dramatically.

GasBandit

Staff member
NOD32 is pretty good. Doesn't have firewall software though, so make sure you are behind a router and only forward ports you need to.

R

Rubicon

Best free I've seen is AVG. The only time I get a popup from it is when I scan a file, it scans the file then might in a small box within the same screen dialog, mention buying the paid version.

Best paid, probably Nod32.

I like AVG

GasBandit

Staff member
Best free I've seen is AVG. The only time I get a popup from it is when I scan a file, it scans the file then might in a small box within the same screen dialog, mention buying the paid version.

Best paid, probably Nod32.

I like AVG
AVG is by far the least effective antivirus software package available, pay or free.

Granted, that means it is 89% effective as opposed to the most effective package, which is something like 96, if memory serves.

R

redapples

AVG is by far the least effective antivirus software package available, pay or free.

Granted, that means it is 89% effective as opposed to the most effective package, which is something like 96, if memory serves.
Maybe not the least...

Admittedly this is old August this year so there may be some changes to the list. For example it is my understanding that Microsoft Sec. Essentials is now out of BETA.

A tip for some of you. Check with your IT deparment at work about the availability of the companies software. Sophos for example is licenced for not just work computers but all home computers of staff who work from home at any time. So if you use your home computer for work (i.e. send documents between your home and work, use memory sticks) then you can get the full Sophos package at home for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.