SeriousJay’s 4E DnD Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackabite said:
cool, so 6:15pm EST, I think that's around 7:15am for me, so you might get a barely awake me, but I'll be there, physically at least
You live in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean?

(Or parts of Canada, Brazil, Chile or Bolivia...)

Holy crap! I missed the AM/PM thing! He's going to be joining us from the future!!

Brix is now the town midwife (husband?), physician, cleric, surgeon, and mortician. His clinic sign says: "Whether you're coming into this world, leaving it, or hanging around it, there's probably something wrong with you that Dr. Brix can fix!"

Brix has taken an interest in the murders and checking out the bodies. I'm sure this will cause him to run with authority (Pally) and someone who's come to town with interest in the murder.

Unless someone else is from this town or has lived here before, there's not much I can do for background relation. Mostly just immediate relation. Getting to know each other stuff happening? Then it's a good time to be the stranger, I guess.

Further background: I had arrived in town a month ago, and since have been frequenting the town's tavern while also doing my daily praises to Bahamut. The cold only mildly agitates me as I've been cold before, though this is the first time I've seen snow. I went to Brix's clinic a few times to seek his council on the happenings of this town, though I have no further leads as to the undead I was tracking, I have heard of the town's plight and seek to assist them. These murders must stop for it is an afront to Bahamut and all that is good, so I will take up arms to relinquish the offender of their tainted being. As for the others, I've probably stumbled into them in the tavern once or twice, and struck up conversation with them a few times.

My good friend Jay.
Just checking to make sure the game is tonight (Tuesday the 14th).
I have to admit that you mentioning the 15th in your earlier posts has me a bit confused. I think Dave may have already addressed that issue but damn I'm lazy and don't want to go through the short 4 pages to find confirmation.
Just say "Game on" if I'm right and it's tonight.
And Huzzah from me. I need a break and being able to game is just what the doctor ordered.

Game on, indeed, although I found out this morning before I left that the pog I made didn't save. My macros did, though.

Edrondol said:
Game on, indeed, although I found out this morning before I left that the pog I made didn't save. My macros did, though.
My pog is kinda lame. I couldn't clip the edges off around the circle, so I'm stuck with a square.

The game is definitely tonight and yes, keep working on your pogs, even if they aren't perfectly ready tonight. We can always use the newer ones when you'll perfect them.

If anyone updated their character sheet since they last submitted them to me, they need to let me know. I already updated my character sheets, so any changes are going to be important to me.

Me from another thread:

Edrondol said:
I'm debating about whether or not to take a nap and miss the D&D game or to tough it out.

I'm leaning towards the nap because I'm going to get off of work, get my paycheck, cash said check, take my son to work, take money to my wife so she can get gas and make it home and then go buy tickets...all starting at 5 pm. And the game starts at...5.

Yeah, as much as I hate to do it I think I'll have to bail on the game tonight. Potter calls. I've taken my daughter to see each of the movies on opening day so I kinda have to.
Because of extra stuff I have to do tonight even without napping to see Harry Potter I'd be very, very late to the game. I hate to do this last minute, but I think I may be a no show. I promise unless I am dying or lose a testicle I will be there next week.

Bah, fuck Harry Potter.

The game will still go on and in fact, if Doomdragon reads this he can play as Ed's character if he'd like, if not, make his own Wizard. If all else fails, we'll play with 4.

I hate to do this too...
Hehehe. No no. I kid. I kid.
Of course I'm going to be there tonight.
It's an hour from the game now... so I'm going to go grab lunch.
See you guys there.

doomdragon6

Staff member
I would, but I don't have access to no-lag internet today, don't have a character ready, don't have any macros set up, or anything like that. Plus, if you let me play I'm just going to get addicted and want in even though my schedule won't permit. =P

I may still be able to listen in, however, and if you truly, desperately need a 5th, I can have a level 1 Serin make an appearance (not as a Doppelganger, of course) and pretend it was one of her adventures before she met the group in the other game. :rofl: But I'd have to type, and macros are still off, so all it would do is slow you people down. I might be there to listen in, might not-- depending on if I decide to go do errands or not. Sorry Jay. :(

Yeah, I was hoping you would have gotten the message sooner and maybe get to a lagless location and join us and play.... oh well, you can come and listen in. I'd very much rather not have you unable to talk during the evening. It's a big part of the experience in my game.

A very awesome game. Looking forward to next week. I like my character's calm and socially accepting personality.

I think it's pretty clear Denan and Dreskal are going to be good friends and partners.
Aurora has quite the mouth but her heart is in the right place... though she physically is not. Her view of what is right and wrong in a world of winter tends to be a little out of place. Denan will do his best to keep her out of trouble but he's beginning to get that inclination that such an act will be the end of him one day.
Dr. Brix's attitude is pretty usual for this area in Denan's opinion so he can't really fault him for that. But the whole "cure by fire" method wasn't exactly any local remedy that Denan was ever aware of.

It occurs to Denan that he and Dreskal are probably going to have to get very used to defusing any conflicts that Brix and Aurora start.

I thought the game session went pretty well considering that we needed to deal with with the long winded (but very much needed) initial description of the campaign, players learning their character's abilities along with their fellow party member's abilities as well as the last minute encounter tweaking for the party. It should be much more fluid next week, I got more familiar with my tools as well so it should allow me to be a bit more efficient next week... and I got tweaks planned in my for my battle sheet to help things further. Barring any last minute issues, we should be fine and 4 players is very manageable.

Oh, this is a fairly accurate picture of Bubbles, the half-ogre. Except for the extra armor as he'll be in hide armor and cannot afford such armor.

Well, with the first game out of the way, I'm going to allow players to "tweak" their characters if needed. If they initially felt some abilities to be underwhelming or feel that too many people have similar abilities, they can make changes and send their new DDI character sheet my way. With this in mind, I'd like every player to PM me the following before the next game session.

- Your latest character sheet. (please describe what changes you did, if any)
- Your latest character background (we'll have a summary thread and your background will be added to it)

What would be also cool is if players will create "diary posts" in that future thread that will "describe" their game experiences in character. One would like to see how one may feel after being drenched in wine and put on a fire to kill off a giant mosquito.

Day 1
"I hate halfings"

I'm going to back out, friends. It isn't fair to you all to string you along. Last week was Harry Potter and today I get a phone call that my son works and then my wife wants to go to the store to grocery shop. Someone out there can take my spot I'm sure.

Fricking families.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Jay set me up to be stand-in, so I guess I'm the temp until you get someone to play full time.

I didn't make much of a backstory, so you guys are basically going to be playing with a broken wheel that comes in and then leaves whenever it's necessary.

Name: Falagar
Class: Wizard
Race: Human

Falagar is a monster hunter by trade and takes special interest in jobs that require the extermination of monsters. He loves tracking and finding rare and elusive monsters and will often go into harm's way to catch a glimpse of one.

Looks: 5'11". Has long sideburns that go down to his jawline, along with a short, well-maintained tuft of beard on his chin. He has short black hair that is a bit unruly at times. Most of the time he can be seen in purple wizard's robes that are custom-made to allow the mobility a monster hunter needs.

I also have plans tonight, so I'll have to bow out around 6:30 or 7:00ish.

Extra note: Jay, his second Tome of Readiness spell is Chill Strike.
Also, he is very cocky and gung-ho, and a bit brazen and arrogant. I'll try to play this up as much as I can to make up for the lack of backstory.

Oh! And he has Bruce Campbell's voice.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Should also probably go ahead and send out a call for another player. Next Tuesday I'm getting my wisdom teeth out and there's no way in hell I'll be playing that day.

And then after that, only 2 weeks until school starts and I lose availability on Tuesday.

From Denan's Journal.
I had only been in Dougan's Hole for a day when rumors of the town's woes had made their way to me via a loud drunk at the local inn. It was an exceptionally cold evening as a strong blizzard had blown in from what seemed like nowhere. The next day I caught sight of a very fragile looking, yet quite beautiful, Elven maiden. She seemed under dressed for this type of climate but even still didn't seem to mind the bitter cold. I have always worried over newcomers to our lands as they tend to stick out like sore thumbs in a bush of barbed wire. This lass wasn't helping matters by using words like "prithee" and "forsooth".
I bought her an ale and we started to talk. Aurora, as she introduced herself, claimed to be an Eladrin sent from the fey world on a mission to investigate a dark omen, possibly from the Drow below. I can't say I know what a Drow would want with a place like Dougan's Hole, but if the Drow want it their reasons can only be dark and twisted. Perhaps it's my insane inability to say no to a beautiful woman in distress, but I offered my help to her cause... providing she assist Dougan's Hole with it's recent troubles.
As we asked about for more information regarding the town's situation, word got around quickly and we were asked to meet with a man called Hamos at the tavern. As we sat at the table we were joined by Hamos and two others; a halfling by the name of Brix who turns out is the town "doctor" and resident cleric, and a human by the name of Dreklan who claims to be a warrior for the glory of Bahamut (we do get all the odd ones here don't we?).
Hamos expressed that if we wanted to help out the town we should check with the town speaker and gave us fairly simple directions. Now, far be it for me to assume I know more about a town than one of it's actual residents, but as we followed Dr Brix to the speaker's home we somehow ended up at a barn along the way. Perhaps Brix was jesting with us, but we nearly found ourselves in a fist fight with a rather large and grumpy half ogre by the name of Bubbles. Though admittedly Brix was responsible for us being there, it was Aurora who nearly forced me to put myself between her and Bubbles.
I think she is a very stunning woman but I believe that one day she's going to get me horribly killed.
After the nearly disastrous detour we made it to the Speaker's home. Speaking to him we discovered that Dougan's hole has more problems than first assumed. Not only was a murderer running about in the streets stabbing folks, but the local mountain excavation was losing miners to mysterious forces. I admit I had originally assumed the deaths in the street and the mine may have been connected. I reasoned that since more people were missing from the mines, than dead in the streets, it was the place to start. We were lead there by the less than thrilled captain of the guards, Theldara, who herself seems too beautiful for a place like Dougan's Hole (Though I can guarantee her mannerisms and attitude prove she's been here quite some time).
The excavation into the mountain is apparently an attempt to expand the town someplace untouchable by the weather. While their intentions may be good I feel that if we were meant to build inside mountains we would have been born shorter, have beards to our feet, and love ale just a wee bit more than good for us. The discovery of a corpse soon after entering didn't deter us from our mission. Our first foes came in the form of malicious, bloodsucking birds that the Dr. identified for us as sturges. We managed to fight them off but they proved difficult to remove once they had latched onto a person. Dreklan attempted to crush one beneath his weight by falling on top of it, but when that failed to work the good doctor began pouring wine over him and told us to light him aflame. Just as I was about to say "Why would we do something so insane?" , Aurora obliged and brought our torch to Dreklan's back.
After the sturges were dead, and our Paladin quenched, we continued. Later a trio of carrion crawlers attempted to ambush us as we entered their lair and discovered what was left of the missing miners. We managed to put an end to them, but many of us were barely standing. Dreklan had pretty much exhausted everything he could muster keeping himself alive, and Dr. Brix had blessed us with the Raven Queen's uncaring will more times than I care to remember. As nothing we had encountered used daggers as a weapon, we knew we had not been on the right trail for the murderer of Dougan's Hole. And as we exited the cavern and saw the morning light I knew we had also failed to stop him from killing again.
Sure enough a wealthy couple had been killed that night, and their 12 year old son missing. As my companions rested I examined the bodies and came to the following conclusions; The man was killed first as the stabs in his back suggest a surprise wound. The woman's death was long and torturous, having been stabbed several dozen times in the chest. There must be at least two murderers as the woman's arms were restrained by the wrist. And given that not a single soul, not even the militia on patrol, heard this woman's shrills of terror, there must have been some kind of magical force silencing her. I had considered a non magical force such as a gag, but then you'd have to wonder how could this woman watch her husband die, then be captured and restrained, and not be able to utter a single cry for help before a gag was forced around her mouth?
Speaking with Theldara I promised her we would focus more on finding the killer than assisting the town Speaker with his own personal agendas.
I rested myself and then went to Aurora's room to wake her. She "insisted" I give her more time so I found my way to Dr. Brix's clinic where he and Dreklan were waiting. As I filled them in on the state of the murder victims a frantic miner came to the door and asked for our help to find his brother who apparently went into the excavation earlier that day and hadn't returned. I felt somewhat responsible for this, as we may have inadvertently given the residents the impression that we had cleared all threats from the site. Brix, Dreklan and myself returned to the excavation and explored deeper. Finding some evidence that the missing miner was nearby we entered a large cavern with a watery pit in the center. What we first mistook as mud turned out to be a massive blob of living acid that used the piping left by the construction crews to surprise us and attack. Not only did there turn out to be two of these creatures but they also tended to split into additional creatures as we attacked it. Eventually we managed to kill them... I think. It's hard to tell when your foe is a blob of acid. It stopped moving. That's the best we could hope for I suppose.

Wonderfully written, Shawn! :heart: I think next time Aurora is going to be a little more reserved, but probably more clingy. In the feywild she never experienced such horrible sights (and smells :Leyla: ) and is starting to be affected by the harshness of this world. That's my explanation for her extended rest as well, because until Aurora's adrenaline levels came down after leaving the cave, she had no idea how much those jarring encounters had drained her. Expect weepiness and confusion. She's still gonna help, it's just that she'll be helping while hiding in Denan's shadow. XD

I did ask this before in the past, I'll ask it again so that I can update my campaign files... kindly give me your characters top 3 desirable objects (aka type of armor, weapons, etc..)

SeriousJay said:
I did ask this before in the past, I'll ask it again so that I can update my campaign files... kindly give me your characters top 3 desirable objects (aka type of armor, weapons, etc..)
1) One handed sword. Long swords are great.

2) Any item to increase defense, saves or hit points.

3) Fun stuff. Surprise me. I like being creative with things that may not seem useful at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.