SeriousJay’s 4E DnD Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

You want a controller? Here's your damned controller!

Meet Chakla, the Tiefling Psion!

Suck it, mindless fools!

escushion said:
Oh boy... I hope you have a good backstory prepared, since Jay said Tieflings are hated and need a good excuse to be present.
I missed that. Damn! I may have to pull in another race of Psion.

-- Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:56 pm --

Fine. Chakla is now a Gnome Psion. FOR GNOMREGON!!

Ah, the Psion, the July release of DDI! I don't have the update though, so I can't see a whole lot about the class other than what I read online. Any chance for a more traditional class for the sake of organizing my things and simplifying my life? Gonna be awkward not being able to jack squat about a class for a few weeks. I really am not looking forward to that.

Mutters about Wizards raping his childhood with unnecessary classes and complicating his life.

SeriousJay said:
Ah, the Psion, the July release of DDI! I don't have the update though, so I can't see a whole lot about the class other than what I read online. Any chance for a more traditional class for the sake of organizing my things and simplifying my life? Gonna be awkward not being able to jack squat about a class for a few weeks. I really am not looking forward to that.

Mutters about Wizards raping his childhood with unnecessary classes and complicating his life.
Damn GMs.

Accepted.

At of this moment, I'll be focusing on the game's storyline as well as character storylines. They will unravel slowly over the game sessions and will play out from those who provided their backgrounds first to those who submitted theirs later. I still require background stories and even their character sheets, preferably within the next day or two. I'd rather not go with a bullshit story where everyone walks into the same tavern and go, "YO, let's be best friends and travel the world together" so start creating relations with eachother. I feel that I provided all the materials you need to know the initial game situation. So, chop chop, storylines, backgrounds. Stop sucking.

And James, I need your character sheet and background.

Current status of things :

escushion - halfling cleric - character sheet - background
Shawnacy - human swordmage - character sheet - background
Edrondol - elven invoker - character sheet - NO
falineoflight - eladrin warlock - NO - NO
Jackabite - human warlord - NO - NO

I really would like character sheets, backgrounds and character relations to be solved asap, I do have more questions for the players later on this week including preference of loot.... unless you guys like getting crappy loot?

:twisted:

As my character is more concerned about the safety of others and the protection of the innocent, is there anyone in the party with a similar view point (or even pretends to have a similar view point).
Denan is from one of the other ten towns in Icewind Dale and was forced from there by a rival. Perhaps someone in the party decided to leave the town with him, or he met up with someone recently in his travels. If he felt someone in the party was in need of protection he may offer to accompany him/her.

I know I'm one of the last ones to post, but keep your pants on. I have a busy, painful life, dammit. :waah:

Anywho, here she is in all her glory, Lady Aurora of the Northern Winds:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Aurora of the Northern Winds, level 1
Eladrin, Warlock
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Charisma
Eldritch Pact: Fey Pact

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 17.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 17.

AC: 15 Fort: 12 Reflex: 14 Will: 15
HP: 26 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +10, Arcana +10, Bluff +8, Insight +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Dungeoneering, Endurance +2, Heal, History +5, Nature, Perception, Religion +3, Stealth +1, Streetwise +3, Thievery +1, Athletics -1

FEATS
Level 1: Improved Misty Step

POWERS
Warlock daily 1: Decree of Khirad
Warlock encounter 1: Witchfire

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Fine Clothing, Tent, Everburning Torch, Crossbow
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

Background:

Aurora was born in the Feywild and lived all of her life there surrounded by the comforts and luxuries of her family's position as bringers of Winter. Her eladrin mother and father are two of the rarest form of eladrin, Noble Eladrin, who have presided over the Northern Winds and Winter for generations on end. Aurora is their only child. Just recently there have been signs of trouble brewing in Aurora's feywild home deep in the snow capped mountains of Sha'lenia. Troubling visions and nightmares of the Eladrin race's worst enemy, the Drow, have been haunting the great scions of the Northern Winds this past month. Visions of the Drow entering into the Inbetween World and finding a way to invade the Feywild have forced Aurora's family to take action in order to investigate and prevent such an event from happening. Arming their beloved only daughter with spells, rituals, and all the powers of the Northern Winds, the Winter Nobles charged her with the task of hunting down and destroying this threat to the world below and the Feywild. Manifesting herself in the Northern area of Icewind Dale, Aurora found herself in the worst possible place she could have imagined coming to: Dougan's Hole. Disgusted by the lowly town covered in filth, Aurora immediately prepared herself to set forth out into the rest of the world. However, due to her arrival in a place already predisposed to cold weather, a premature winter came rushing in causing all kinds of minor troubles for the mud infested town. Feeling that it was her "Nobless Oblige" (her noble duty) to assist these lower creatures, she began to work to try to make amends with the local peoples through little hedge magicks (ex: pulling carts out of the frozen ground, retrieving lost animals, etc.). Once she feels that she has made amends in this town, she will leave and begin her search in earnest for clues to the Drow uprising her dreams had foretold.

Mannerisms and Appearance:

Just as her name would suggest, Aurora can seem as cold and distant as a winter's gale. Aurora has pale gold hair, lavender eyes, and pale skin. She wears only the finest clothes made by her kinsmen and they are always white or silver. When addressing anyone of the lower planes (the world she is now travelling in) she has a tendency to speak in the stiffest of formalities. Her movements are always liquid and graceful and no matter the situation she seems to never lose her cool.

Shawnacy did post his background on other pages.

I don't recall actually giving much background--I really just gave a personality. It's hard to make character ties when everyone's traveling in. I went with a townie who, while originating elsewhere, has made a comfortable life for himself in this mudhole--no one else has though. So it's hard to establish long-term relations.

I imagine James's character could be the leader/mayor/warlord of the town, even if he's not actually making war. But that'd be up to him.

My character cares about the well-being of others and their health. He does not care about their feelings and it's difficult to earn his respect. He's often insulting. I was hoping someone would be willing to be his assistant, which would basically be the only character he'd respect from the get-go, but no one went for that.

I have my completed character ready, I just need to work on my character history now. Just so you know, I wound up changing my character to a Human Paladin instead, I hope that doesn't cause problems, if it does, I'll swap back to the Human Warlord. As a general idea I've got going for my character is a Paladin who grew up in Thay who's family was slaughtered by the undead that seem to almost run freely, and so I grew to dispise the undead for what they had done to me and continue to do unchecked to living people. I found my calling as a paladin who now follows Bahamut, focusing more in the art of undead slaying. I'll be coming up with a more thorough character history today, but that is a general idea of what I'm going for.

There's no problem with the change. All I'll need to know is the reason why he'll be in Dougan's Hole and if there are any established relations with the other adventurers.

While I'm still waiting on people to work on their characters and their backgrounds, here some more information :

- All players start with standard winter clothes for traveling; it provides mediocre protection for the cold.
- All players will start with the same amount of money regardless on how much they spent in the beginning: 25gp
- This means your character should stock on what they need beforehand.
- Make sure to buy your rituals, regents, ammo (for projectiles!!!) and so forth.
- Resubmit your character sheet when you’re done.

Things I noticed from the character sheets and some free advice:

Aurora: 1lb overweight. Yes, 8 STR sucks that way. No melee weapon! No ammo. Let a STR based character have the tent instead.

Brix: Unless you plan to take rogue feats (doubtful with your dex, there's no reason for 2 daggers other for show). You still need to get a Holy Symbol and equip it. Save and restart the application and the changes will appear in the character sheet.

Chakla: Seems fine except for some minor things like regents.

Denan: Seems fine.

Dreklan: You may want to recheck your stats. More STR, less INT... something like 16-13-10-8-14-16 would fit a Paladin better. Is there a reason why you chose 14 INT? *confused*

Oh... and no one with higher than 10 bonus perception? *rubs hands together and smiles*

I've redone my stats for the most part, and took mostly from dex, since he's a heavy plate wearer, it doesn't effect him too much, combat wise at least lol, however, he is pretty damn clumsy now lol.
Character history:
I was born on a moonless night to my parents, Ryan and Chelsie Colgar, in the back of a barely held together shack. My parents and I were labourers working for one of the local upper class of Eltabbar, tending to what crops would grow in this devestated land. barely able to feed ourselves, except for the food we managed to smuggle to our shack, we continued our meagre existence, until one day when I was ten years old. On this day, the night was particularly cold, and you could feel that something was just not right. We were tending to our small fire as we usually do, just trying to keep warm with the wind blowing through the shack's holes, almost chilling to the bone. I went outside to check on a noise when suddenly I was hit over the head with a heavy club and fell to the ground. In my daze I could make out a group of undead, weapons in hand knocking aside the thin woven sheet we used as a door, this was closely followed by my mother's scream, which just and quickly faded. My father was carried off with what looked to be a gash on his forehead, his hands and legs bound to a pole. Last thing I remember of him was how he looked at me with such sadness in his eyes. the other undead there carried off the small sacks of grain we had, and finally, that's when it hit me as to why they had come.
Finally, as if to add insult to injury, the last one there had set a burning torch to the shack, and that's about when I blacked out.
the next day I awoke to the smell of burnt flesh, which to my dismay, turned out to be that of my mother's. I gathered up what I could and headed out in any direction; I didn't quite know where I was going, I just wanted to get away.
After what seemed like days without food or water, I finally collapsed by a river, too weak to drink, and my vision faded to black.
It was then that a travelling priest had found me; he called himself Thyanis Gosford, a travelling Cleric who sought to spread the word of Bahamut. It was he who rescued me and brought me back from near death with food and water, tending to my now festering wound on the back of my head that was left when the club had struck me, and it was he who caused my rebirth as a devotee of Bahamut. I told him of my plight, and the last moments I had seen of my parents, and he comforted my thoughts, telling me that one day I will strike back, and bring peace to myself, and those around me. I had stayed with him for two years, learning of Bahamut and his teachings, until one day he brought me to a temple dedicated to Bahamut that lies within the gleaming bukwark of Elturgard, within the Western Heartlands. It was here that I was first exposed to the paladins who answered the various calls of Bahamut, and it was here that I first began my training as a paladin.
Almost not accepted by the paladins od the temple, stating that at the age of twelve I was too old to begin training, I proved my worth by my seathing hatred from the undead, devotion to Bahamut, and my drive to take up arms in his name to drive back the hordes of undeath, and those who would support them. though this is not the main focus of the church of Bahamut, they eventually accepted my conviction and allowed me entry into their ranks.
Over the next few years they trained me in the art of war, protection, channelling my devotion, and upholding the rights of the good, and destroying those that are evil.
I am now twenty years old, and a full paladin of Bahamut, I still focus on the destruction of the undead, though through my training have been tought to focus my hate on other evils as well. I love a good drink and spend many nights at the tavern listening to the various stories told by one of the many bards that tend to frequent these places, though I also listen in on conversations that could be about certain evils happening within the land.
Finally, in my travels I had come to Dougan's Hole, not so much in search of adventure, but rather in search of information regarding a certain undead lord I had been tracking, which I had heard came to this area.
I try to be a friendly person, though I find it hard to trust people, and still have nightmares of the night my parents were killed, sometimes waking to the scent of my mother's burnt flesh, which haunts me to this day.

After seeing how out of place Aurora seemed within the town Denan would have obligingly found her a comfortable inn (which Dougan's hole probably has only one of) and a warm drink. Listening to her talk of the Drow threat below may have been more than enough to make the decision to join her on her journey. So long, of course, that she was willing to stay long enough to aid these villagers with their current woes.

- Usually in DDI, you can buy components for rituals. I could either go two ways to do this, people can buy the components ahead of time or we can simply pay for when we use rituals. I'd pick the latter honestly, to simplify things.

- I can't use DDI at work James but I'll do it when I get home tonight as see how it looks. Yeah, Dex isn't a very important stat for Paladins since with your Plate armor, that's where your AC will be coming from anyways. I'll provide feedback when I'll see it.

What would you guys see as a timeline on how the adventurers got to Dougan's Hole? Can someone provide me a tasty summary on how the adventurers meet, know each other?

I'd rather focus on my questing/storyline theorycrafting instead of this, I also will ask some key questions after the summary is settled.

I pretty much have the first session layed out and I gotta say, it's pretty interesting. I hope you guys will like it. I'll keep working on it and adding content with random variables that will be sweet to see to say the least. Our first game session will cover the ruleset, the background story of Icewind Dale to allow everyone to get up to speed and the start of the campaign.

While someone will SURELY pickup on the task of creating a summary for me (for a neat reward, I assure you), I'm going to ask my players to provide their TOP 5 list of types of items of interest they'd like to have so that I can work on a loot table. Thanks.

Shawnacy said:
After seeing how out of place Aurora seemed within the town Denan would have obligingly found her a comfortable inn (which Dougan's hole probably has only one of) and a warm drink. Listening to her talk of the Drow threat below may have been more than enough to make the decision to join her on her journey. So long, of course, that she was willing to stay long enough to aid these villagers with their current woes.
Sounds great to me. Aurora would stay and assist simply out of her feeling of obligation to these people for the accidental mess she caused. Jay: I've added a longsword, ammo for the crossbow, and deleted the tent. And now for my updated sheet. Enjoy.

I'm an Elf. I'm pretty old. I've wandered the world and found myself here with only 25g left to my name (I must have been pickpocketed because I had more but it's gone). So now I have to find a job or hook up with some people for adventure. I'm a pretty lazy Elf, though. I'd rather be at an inn drinking and socializing than I would doing anything else. One thing I'm *not* lazy about is my devotion to a higher power. In fact, there have been times when I have driven those away from me who could not comprehend the light. In the end, though, it's all about me. I want to earn enough money to retire comfortably and never have to lift a finger again. I figure a couple hundred thousand gold ought to do it.

Items I want:

Astral Fire Armor
Defensive Staff

I'll pick 3 more when I can look through my books.

Mind you, I'm not looking for items in particular, more items in general. To establish the needs of players.

aka :

- longsword
- hide armor
- magical orb

etc

Chainmail, staff, stuff to stop me from being hit and something magical to carry all the money I'm going to have to make to retire.

Aaaand, my obligatory Second Life version of my character!

I photoshopped her to hell to make her eyes and everything look just right. What do you think? :uhhuh:

Hmm.
Heavy, one-handed, blades.
Leather armor.
Anything that adds to defense or hit points.
Anything that can help defend teammates from damage.
Fun and quirky stuff that makes me have to be creative in how to use it.

...And any kind of item that will bond Aurora to my will.

I think I'm adaquately prepared for our first game session which will probably run short with people establishing their characters, catching up to speed with their skill sets and with me letting them know how things will run differently in my game (compared for those who play in Shawnacy's) and standard DnD... and listening to my lore intro (like a quality Bioware video, for those game fanatics like meeees). I got my encounters ready along with quite a few.... tasty random encounters. I think I may be set for the next month but... I will strengthen it a bit more... just in case.

A few things still remain for players to do :

- If you haven't submitted a character background, please do.

- Establish character relations, honestly, it can be as simple as "he's my cuz". I don't care, the first hour will be about the players getting to know eachother. No one will be jumping around and go, we're adventurererers, RAWRS.

- Item type choices, let me know what interests you.

- If you do refine your character sheet, submit it here, I want your "final" version of your character sheet by Monday at noon. Ask me for advice if you need any.

- Setup your macros and USE the format I asked you (which should be in my first post), I'll be annoying to you if you don't.

- Be there before gametime, the game starts at 6:30 PM, be in vent at 6:15 PM Eastern. There's a lot of setup to do. :)

As far as connections. Here are some ideas I had.

Denan + Aurora: Denan noticed how out of place she looked and helped her get settled at a local inn. Hearing her tale he decided to assist her so long as they deal with the troubles of Dougan's Hole and of any they may come across in their travels.

Dreklan + Brix: As Brix is the town cleric it would make sense that Dreklan seek him out as a traveling Paladin. While Dougan's Hole doesn't have undead issues (that anyone knows about) the town is certainly in need of help.

Once there are other backgrounds I can start suggesting ways to fill the gaps.

SeriousJay said:
- Be there before gametime, the game starts at 6:30 PM, be in vent at 6:15 PM Eastern. There's a lot of setup to do. :)
I don't get off of work until 6 PM EST and have at least a 15 minute/half hour drive home. And if my son works I'll have to take him. I'll be there, but I may be a few minutes late.

Edrondol said:
SeriousJay said:
I don't get off of work until 6 PM EST and have at least a 15 minute/half hour drive home. And if my son works I'll have to take him. I'll be there, but I may be a few minutes late.
That's fine. Just make sure your macros done (according to my first post) as well as your character pog and to connect ASAP. I'll have my Gametable IP in Ventrilo in my comment.

-- Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:19 am --

Shawnacy said:
As far as connections. Here are some ideas I had.

Denan + Aurora: Denan noticed how out of place she looked and helped her get settled at a local inn. Hearing her tale he decided to assist her so long as they deal with the troubles of Dougan's Hole and of any they may come across in their travels.

Dreklan + Brix: As Brix is the town cleric it would make sense that Dreklan seek him out as a traveling Paladin. While Dougan's Hole doesn't have undead issues (that anyone knows about) the town is certainly in need of help.

Once there are other backgrounds I can start suggesting ways to fill the gaps.
This is a strong start, need MOAR.

cool, so 6:15pm EST, I think that's around 7:15am for me, so you might get a barely awake me, but I'll be there, physically at least

Status
Not open for further replies.