Export thread

Sendin' up prayers...

Mathias

Mathias

I get really annoyed by this. Someone on Facebook, Twitter, whatever posts about issues they're having and the response from most people is "praying for you" or "sending prayers your way". What a cope out. I feel your actions are what define your intents. If you truly want to help someone get through a tough time, talk to them, help them, write them an email, whatever... Do something! "Sending up prayers" is the best way to feel good about doing nothing.

If you're sending up prayers, I assume you believe in God or some higher deity. Wouldn't they already know what's up? Shouldn't prayer be a personal thing between you and God? Shouldn't it be private? Yeah, Matthew 6:6 states it explicitly.

strawman

strawman

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Mathias

Mathias

Added at: 19:12
wait a minute...

phil

phil

So there's this gif of Michael Jackson eating popcorn in thriller.

I was going to post that but my internet is going really slow and I can't upload it to imgur or photobucket*.

But if you've seen it, imagine it here.

*seriously, the photobucket progress bar actually went back down before giving up.

Gusto

Gusto

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

phil/gusto

You suck.

The end.

phil

phil

phil/gusto

You keep it real.

The end.

We do, don't we.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

phil/gusto

You suck.

The end.
Too bad you don't, Shego.

Brown chicken, brown cow!

General Specific

General Specific

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I get really annoyed by this. Someone on Facebook, Twitter, whatever posts about issues they're having and the response from most people is "praying for you" or "sending prayers your way". What a cope out. I feel your actions are what define your intents. If you truly want to help someone get through a tough time, talk to them, help them, write them an email, whatever... Do something! "Sending up prayers" is the best way to feel good about doing nothing.

If you're sending up prayers, I assume you believe in God or some higher deity. Wouldn't they already know what's up? Shouldn't prayer be a personal thing between you and God? Shouldn't it be private? Yeah, Matthew 6:6 states it explicitly.
That goes with the Facebook happy birthday, which I also can't stand.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This year, I actually put a challenge up to everyone on Facebook a couple of days in advance. I said, "If you're going to wish me a Happy Birthday, I challenge you to do it without using the words 'happy' or 'birthday.'"

Because I have awesome friends and family, almost all of them accepted the challenge. :D

Er, what I meant to say was...

makare

I thought about the happy birthday thing the other day and I've concluded that if you were in a room of people you just met or strangers and someone said it's this guys birthday you would still say happy birthday. So if you find out someones birthday on facebook it is pretty much the same thing. it's not really a personal sentiment.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

You all ruined a perfectly good cat gif thread. I hope you're satisfied.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I'm pretty much always self satisfied.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Unless it's Muppets, there's no guarantee on a perfect thread combo.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

This year, I actually put a challenge up to everyone on Facebook a couple of days in advance. I said, "If you're going to wish me a Happy Birthday, I challenge you to do it without using the words 'happy' or 'birthday.'"

Because I have awesome friends and family, almost all of them accepted the challenge. :D
have a fantastic time on this the day that you exited a vagina!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

You said it, not me.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm pretty much always self satisfied.
Sounds like my prom night. :(

Mathias

Mathias

Haha. One year I had my birthday saved in Facebook. Almost all my friends give me the ol' Facebook happy birthday.

This past April I deleted birthday information. I got like one or two. Happy Birthday, indeed!

I hate "likes" while we're on the subject. Are people too busy and self absorbed anymore to even jot a quick little blurb on a comment? I swear the more "connected" we are the less we actually communicate with each other.

phil

phil

All you did was continue to not die. What do you want? handies from your whole friends list? At least they thought about you (after facebook reminded them that it was the celebration of your continued struggle on this island earth)

The sending up prayer thing is just stupid. Oh, your mom has cancer and you're about to be evicted? I'll notify God. YOU'RE WELCOME.

edit:

@mathias I'd rather the like than 5 people contributing "lol" or something

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I had guessed only one post till the prom night thing after I posted. So close.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Are we not supposed to Like your posts? Cause I keep doing that.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Are we not supposed to Like your posts? Cause I keep doing that.
I think you're doing it wrong. Likes are for image macros and/or contentious statements.

phil

phil

What about ironic likes?

'cause i'm giving those out like candy on halloween right now.

Gusto

Gusto

I got 4 likes for that snail gif.

No "rhymes with urple" but still pretty good.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Bitches love likes.

makare

I don't really notice likes all that much. I mean it doesn't bother me when someone doesn't like it or when they do.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

What about ironic likes?

'cause i'm giving those out like candy on halloween right now.
Your ironic like gave me 60 trophy points.

To Phil below, I KNOW!

phil

phil

4,000 messages and 250 likes.

you can't post again.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Haha. One year I had my birthday saved in Facebook. Almost all my friends give me the ol' Facebook happy birthday.

This past April I deleted birthday information. I got like one or two. Happy Birthday, indeed!

I hate "likes" while we're on the subject. Are people too busy and self absorbed anymore to even jot a quick little blurb on a comment? I swear the more "connected" we are the less we actually communicate with each other.
I thought this would get more likes.

General Specific

General Specific

All you did was continue to not die. What do you want? handies from your whole friends list? At least they thought about you (after facebook reminded them that it was the celebration of your continued struggle on this island earth)
What popped into my mind:

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Shit in one hand and pray in the other and see which one fills up first

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Shit in one hand and pray in the other and see which one fills up first
Fail.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

He can't fail when he's right.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

bhamv3

bhamv3

There's the right way to be right, and there's the wrong way to be right.

Also,

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Well, I love likes and facebook birthdays and while I say "I hope everything turns all right*" instead of "sending prayers your way", I don't see what's wrong with that either.

Backwards walking cats are also awesome.

*or whatever the right way to say that in english is

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I know, my english sucks :(

This is the closest I could have gotten to, but I knew my english was still off

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Is I do this right way? :p

drifter

drifter

I praeyd for ma baby on his birfday on facebook. But he ded.
Lik dis if u cry evrytime

BananaHands

BananaHands

WHERES YOU ALL GOING, BITCHES?

Dave

Dave

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

@drifter: Son, I might have to hurt you.

Also:

Gusto

Gusto

WHERES YOU ALL GOING, BITCHES?

BananaHands

BananaHands

But seriously, since we're all here we should also talk about our beliefs on abortions, political candidates, whether Pluto is a planet or not and if David Tennant or Matt Smith is a better Doctor Who.
Added at: 16:41

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

abortions rule, all political candidates are owned by corporations, no, what's dr. who?

Gusto

Gusto

But seriously, since we're all here we should also talk about our beliefs on abortions, political candidates, whether Pluto is a planet or not and if David Tennant or Matt Smith is a better Doctor Who.
Tis could turn into a flamewar real fast.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

PotaDOS

Dear NASA,

Your mom said I was big enough.

Sincerely,
Pluto

Adam

Adammon

Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?
8610f.gif

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Okay... to be honest and sincere for a moment...

I'm not a religious person by any definition; I'd consider myself an agnostic at best. Plus, in the Finnish language the phrase "You'll be in my prayers" or "Sendin' up prayers" just doesn't work in every-day parlance, unless you're a Pentecostal, born again or of some other conservative denomination that considers the modern way of life sinful, tries to resurrect the dead and/or treats vaginas like clown cars.

That being said, I have some foreign friends (Halforumites included) who have in recent months used that expression on me. I don't take offence from that, nor do I mock them for saying so. Like one such friend said today, it's something you say when you mean the person is in their thoughts, that you wish all the best for them, even if you're not religious yourself. It is a show of sympathy and solidarity, something you say to show you care for that person.

Does it physically help? There we go into the realm of how much of medicine is actually psychosomatic, dependant on how positive your personal outlook is to your situation. But it's nice to hear people care and wish for you to get better.

That's my personal take on the whole thing. You want to get angry at "social noise" like that? Go right ahead, no skin off my nose...

SeraRelm

Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?
View attachment 3675
This is.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Maaaan, and I had been ignoring this thread because I thought it was an actual instance of what Mat was griping about. Doh.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Maaaan, and I had been ignoring this thread because I thought it was an actual instance of what Mat was griping about. Doh.
I thought that at first, too. But, despite Math and I's quarrels, I thought he was smarter than that.

Gusto

Gusto

what I look like, a charity case!?

I took it, and threw it on the GROOOOOUND

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

welcome to the real world, jackass.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I thought that at first, too. But, despite Math and I's quarrels, I thought he was smarter than that.
Yeah, it took me seeing the thread on "what's new" a couple times, and seeing Mat as the original author, to jog my memory about what he thinks about prayer, so then I came and looked.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

It's your Dad.

BananaHands

BananaHands

It's your Dad.
Man, this ain't my dad! This is a cell phone!

I threw it on the GROOOOOUND

strawman

strawman

Recent posts in this thread leave me feeling that not everyone understands the situation, so let me re-iterate my position on this issue:

Dave

Dave

If something really bad happens to me and someone says they'll pray for me I thank them and move on. What else do I expect? In most cases there's nothing they can do and their praying for me helps them deal with whatever crap is out there while at the same time communicating to me that they care. Although I'm an atheist, I still think it's a nice thing to do.

Oh, and:

Gusto

Gusto

My dad's not a PHOOONE

DUH

GasBandit

GasBandit

I won't be a part of your system.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Only if you shit faster than a printer can print out one of these Facebook pages Mathias is complaining about.

I can't speak for you, maybe you and Charlie are Taco Bell fiends or something, but I just can't shit that fast.

SeraRelm

( ಠ_ಠ)

(ノಠ_ಠ)ノ︵ ┻━┻

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Sending up prayers on Facebook is as useful as whining about your own problems. Whining to every acquaintance you have is the same as doing nothing about your problem.