Sendin' up prayers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get really annoyed by this. Someone on Facebook, Twitter, whatever posts about issues they're having and the response from most people is "praying for you" or "sending prayers your way". What a cope out. I feel your actions are what define your intents. If you truly want to help someone get through a tough time, talk to them, help them, write them an email, whatever... Do something! "Sending up prayers" is the best way to feel good about doing nothing.

If you're sending up prayers, I assume you believe in God or some higher deity. Wouldn't they already know what's up? Shouldn't prayer be a personal thing between you and God? Shouldn't it be private? Yeah, Matthew 6:6 states it explicitly.

So there's this gif of Michael Jackson eating popcorn in thriller.

I was going to post that but my internet is going really slow and I can't upload it to imgur or photobucket*.

But if you've seen it, imagine it here.

*seriously, the photobucket progress bar actually went back down before giving up.

I get really annoyed by this. Someone on Facebook, Twitter, whatever posts about issues they're having and the response from most people is "praying for you" or "sending prayers your way". What a cope out. I feel your actions are what define your intents. If you truly want to help someone get through a tough time, talk to them, help them, write them an email, whatever... Do something! "Sending up prayers" is the best way to feel good about doing nothing.

If you're sending up prayers, I assume you believe in God or some higher deity. Wouldn't they already know what's up? Shouldn't prayer be a personal thing between you and God? Shouldn't it be private? Yeah, Matthew 6:6 states it explicitly.
That goes with the Facebook happy birthday, which I also can't stand.

This year, I actually put a challenge up to everyone on Facebook a couple of days in advance. I said, "If you're going to wish me a Happy Birthday, I challenge you to do it without using the words 'happy' or 'birthday.'"

Because I have awesome friends and family, almost all of them accepted the challenge. :D

Er, what I meant to say was...

M

makare

I thought about the happy birthday thing the other day and I've concluded that if you were in a room of people you just met or strangers and someone said it's this guys birthday you would still say happy birthday. So if you find out someones birthday on facebook it is pretty much the same thing. it's not really a personal sentiment.

This year, I actually put a challenge up to everyone on Facebook a couple of days in advance. I said, "If you're going to wish me a Happy Birthday, I challenge you to do it without using the words 'happy' or 'birthday.'"

Because I have awesome friends and family, almost all of them accepted the challenge. :D
have a fantastic time on this the day that you exited a vagina!

Haha. One year I had my birthday saved in Facebook. Almost all my friends give me the ol' Facebook happy birthday.

This past April I deleted birthday information. I got like one or two. Happy Birthday, indeed!

I hate "likes" while we're on the subject. Are people too busy and self absorbed anymore to even jot a quick little blurb on a comment? I swear the more "connected" we are the less we actually communicate with each other.

All you did was continue to not die. What do you want? handies from your whole friends list? At least they thought about you (after facebook reminded them that it was the celebration of your continued struggle on this island earth)

The sending up prayer thing is just stupid. Oh, your mom has cancer and you're about to be evicted? I'll notify God. YOU'RE WELCOME.

edit:

@mathias I'd rather the like than 5 people contributing "lol" or something

M

makare

I don't really notice likes all that much. I mean it doesn't bother me when someone doesn't like it or when they do.

Haha. One year I had my birthday saved in Facebook. Almost all my friends give me the ol' Facebook happy birthday.

This past April I deleted birthday information. I got like one or two. Happy Birthday, indeed!

I hate "likes" while we're on the subject. Are people too busy and self absorbed anymore to even jot a quick little blurb on a comment? I swear the more "connected" we are the less we actually communicate with each other.
I thought this would get more likes.

All you did was continue to not die. What do you want? handies from your whole friends list? At least they thought about you (after facebook reminded them that it was the celebration of your continued struggle on this island earth)
What popped into my mind:

Status
Not open for further replies.