Scientists invent first male contraceptive pill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not literally, but I think it's safe to say it's something I really, really, really, really want to make sure never happens, yes.

This is a great find and if it truly can do what it can do it's a great way to reduce teen pregnancy as well as another barrier from getting unwanted children.

S

Soliloquy

Now you'll have to be really stupid to have a kid.

Wait, is this a good thing?

Necronic

Staff member
Usually it's not a nightmare, but a dream, like my penis comes off and I go to my cabinet and swap it out for a different one. This one is for one type of pleasure, that one is for another, this one is for speed, and this one lets me fit into leather pants, the last one has a fingernail (for scaring people)

It's a worthless effort. Sure maybe some men in the U.S. and in Europe will partake, but good luck using that shit in third world nations were women aren't usually pregnant by choice.
I just read this... I can't even do a proper face palm for this, someone please do the honors...

Sheesh.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Usually it's not a nightmare, but a dream, like my penis comes off and I go to my cabinet and swap it out for a different one. This one is for one type of pleasure, that one is for another, this one is for speed, and this one lets me fit into leather pants, the last one has a fingernail (for scaring people)

C

Chazwozel

It's a worthless effort. Sure maybe some men in the U.S. and in Europe will partake, but good luck using that shit in third world nations were women aren't usually pregnant by choice.
I just read this... I can't even do a proper face palm for this, someone please do the honors...

Sheesh.[/QUOTE]

When STD reports start increasing around the U.S., I'll be the bigger man and not laugh in your face.

You know why AIDS is so rampant in Africa? Because women don't have any choices in regards to sexual freedom.

This is going to be a great addition to birth control i.e. replacement for vasectomies (even though a vasectomy is probably the lightest and easiest surgical procedure on the planet), but in the long run it's not going to be a solution to much else.

But you see how your mind instantly assumed my comment was stupid? Because the first thing that pops in there is how you're not going to get pregnant now if a guy tells you he's "on the pill". There's a very limited niche market for the effect use of this drug. No one ever thinks of gonorrhea before or after having sex. Their biggest concern is pregnancy.

Necronic

Staff member
If the only application is in 3rd world countries, then yes, this is useless. As is any other form of contraceptive, because the problem isn't the pregnancy as much as it is the STDs. Hell, pregnancy is a good thing there when you look at estimates of what the population will look like after a couple more decades of AIDs.

However, in a broader application it is pretty useful. I know a number of men who have gotten vasectomies, and its never pleasant (and with one friend it didn't work! Hello new baby.) Also, birth control isn't something that works well with all women. For some it causes emotional issues and diminishes their sex drive, so in some monomogomous relationships it may make more sense to just take the pill.

Sheesh.[/QUOTE]

When STD reports start increasing around the U.S., I'll be the bigger man and not laugh in your face.

You know why AIDS is so rampant in Africa? Because women don't have any choices in regards to sexual freedom.

This is going to be a great addition to birth control i.e. replacement for vasectomies (even though a vasectomy is probably the lightest and easiest surgical procedure on the planet), but in the long run it's not going to be a solution to much else.

But you see how your mind instantly assumed my comment was stupid? Because the first thing that pops in there is how you're not going to get pregnant now if a guy tells you he's "on the pill". There's a very limited niche market for the effect use of this drug. No one ever thinks of gonorrhea before or after having sex. Their biggest concern is pregnancy.[/QUOTE]

What I thought was stupid is the way you put such a huge majoritarian percentage of the world out of the "niche".

I'd probably forget to take mine. I'm gunning for sterility anyway, he said as he placed his laptop on his crotch.

Americans only find themselves and Europe to be civilized, remember?

No, but we have lower birth rates i.e. our women have more choices and sexual freedoms.[/QUOTE]

Women in my 3rd world country have the same sexual freedoms as the women in most of the states in the US
don't you find "3rd world countries where women aren't usually pregnant by choice" a little over the top?
Unwanted pregnancy is an issue, but it's not the rule and not what "usually" happens.

C

Chazwozel

Americans only find themselves and Europe to be civilized, remember?

No, but we have lower birth rates i.e. our women have more choices and sexual freedoms.[/QUOTE]

Women in my 3rd world country have the same sexual freedoms as the women in most of the states in the US
don't you find "3rd world countries where women aren't usually pregnant by choice" a little over the top?
Unwanted pregnancy is an issue, but it's not the rule and not what "usually" happens.[/QUOTE]

The women in Mexico that have access to birth control have freedoms; the ones that don't- don't. A male contraceptive pill isn't going to change that. The reason birth rates are lower in developed countries has always hinged on the education and services provided to by women; not men.

With things like birth control, the U.S. isn't the problem. It's underdeveloped countries. Mexico is one of them. A male birth control pill isn't going to solve the problem. As other people have pointed out: yes, it does add an additional option. My argument wasn't based on the small niches that this pill is going to cover. On a global scale, its release is essentially worthless.

The big problem I see down the line, is the transmission of STD's because of false assumptionss, not only in areas where they think fucking a sheep will cure you of AIDS, but in the United States as well. More people will use less condoms because the looming specter of pregnancy will overshadow all other factors, like Herpes, HIV, Gonorrhea etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.