Export thread

Scientists invent first male contraceptive pill

Hylian

Hylian

Scientists invent first male contraceptive pill - Telegraph

Until now all attempts to develop a male pill have failed with scientists working on a contraceptive jab for men given by doctors.

But researchers in Israel have finally been able to create a oral pill that deactivates sperm before they reach the womb.

And they've developed a version that means it only needs to be to be taken once every three months.

The breakthrough pill could be available in as little as three years, according to the scientist behind the discovery.

Unlike the jab form of the male pill it doesn't use a combination of the male hormone testosterone and the female hormone progesterone to block pregnancy.
The scientist behind the male pill discovery has developed a tablet that removes a vital protein in sperm that is required for a woman to conceive.

So while sperm still get through to the uterus they are unable to fertilize an egg.
Using this approach, researchers believe they have a pill that is 100 pc effective at stopping pregnancy.

Not only is it long lasting but it also has other pluses. There are no side effects as suffered by women who take the contraceptive pill.

Men on the male equivalent hormone jabs, which are still undergoing trials report feelings of moodiness, depression and loss of sex drive.
Professor of Haim Breitbart of Israel's Bar-Ilan University, who has helped develop the pill said: Men don't cope well with side effects and having side effects would probably put many off wanting to take a pill. Weve had none of those problems with our pill.

What we found is that by treating the mice with our molecule we can get sterility for a long period of time -in the lower dose, about one month, and in the higher dose we found three months of sterility.

The mice behaved nicely, They ate and had sex. All I can say is that we couldn't see any behavioral side-effects - all their sex behavior was retained, which is a very important consideration for men. Human trials of the pill are due to start next year.

A big drawback against men being in control of fertility is the fear they would forget to take a pill.

Polls have repeatedly shown wives and partners do not trust their men to remember to pop a pill every day.

But now that problem has been solved. The new pill can be taken either once a month or once every three months.

Professor Breitbart said: "I think most women would trust their man to remember once a month or once a quarter.

Breitbarts pill jams the sperm's chemical machinery that allows it to create a pregnancy. So while the sperm reaches the womb it dies away unable to fertilize the egg.

He said: We looked at a number of compounds that have no effect on male sex drive, but succeed in impairing the reproductive ability of the sperm.

Because there are no hormonal side effect we believe that it will be fairly easy to get approval for this pill.

Professor Breitbat stunned the world of fertility science four years ago by revealing the commonly held belief that conception was immediate once sperm entered the womb.

The research showed that sperm could survive for up to three days before fertilization took place.

Professor Breitbart said: I then decided to turn my interest to see how to stop that process. I wanted to develop a form of male contraception that would be free of an intervention using hormones.

Chazwozel

And in other news that no one will give a flying fuck about...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yes! The sexual liberation of men has begun!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Neat!

Chazwozel

It's a worthless effort. Sure maybe some men in the U.S. and in Europe will partake, but good luck using that shit in third world nations were women aren't usually pregnant by choice.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's a worthless effort. Sure maybe some men in the U.S. and in Europe will partake, but good luck using that shit in third world nations were women aren't usually pregnant by choice.
Or, you know, it could just be an alternative for guys who don't want a vasectomy that they might later decide to reverse, or who suspect their girlfriend might be trying to anchor them. More options are never a bad thing in any situation, even if they don't solve Africa's many problems.

Chazwozel

Or, you know, it could just be an alternative for guys who don't want a vasectomy that they might later decide to reverse, or who suspect their girlfriend might be trying to anchor them. More options are never a bad thing in any situation, even if they don't solve Africa's many problems.[/QUOTE]

GasBandit

GasBandit

Or, you know, it could just be an alternative for guys who don't want a vasectomy that they might later decide to reverse, or who suspect their girlfriend might be trying to anchor them. More options are never a bad thing in any situation, even if they don't solve Africa's many problems.[/QUOTE]
.[/QUOTE] Which is to say, it doesn't sound "worthless" to me. If the pill has no side effects (as advertised), it could make for bit less swinging of moods and gaining of weight, so everybody's happier.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I thought that whole "gaining weight on the pill" thing was largely exaggerated (and also possibly used as a very convenient excuse).

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Still, this it pretty neat.

Calleja

Calleja

Holy shit, take it once every three months and that's it?! Think of the money those in stable relationships would save in condoms!

Chibibar

Men on the male equivalent hormone jabs, which are still undergoing trials report feelings of moodiness, depression and loss of sex drive.
well... no sex = no pregnancy too! too depress to have sex.

Calleja

Calleja

You realize that's talking about the OTHER male contraceptive and not this miracle pill, right?

Chibibar

You realize that's talking about the OTHER male contraceptive and not this miracle pill, right?
Yea. :) the other one sounds nice. once every 3 months.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

This sounds a hell of a lot better than a vasectomy (provided it actually works and doesn't cause horrible side effects).

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I thought it would be about Chemical Castration.

Null

Null

This shows promise. Definitely easier to take a pill once every three months than get a vasectomy. Besides, I wouldn't trust the local hospital not to screw that up, either.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Cool, definitely something to keep tabs on.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Nice! I'd totally be down for getting on this.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I thought that whole "gaining weight on the pill" thing was largely exaggerated (and also possibly used as a very convenient excuse).

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

If your family has a history of thyroid problems, it can cause an immense amount of weight gain for the woman. Mood swings too. It's really not a fun pill.

This sounds like a fun pill. I'd be happy to use it.

Calleja

Calleja

I'm weary, though... as I always am of things that sound too good to be true... I'll be cautiously optimistic at the sideline here, waiting for the first test subject's penis to fall off or something.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Possible side effects could theoretically include damaged sperm? A la spermicides - occasionally damaged sperm get through, causing birth defects...

Cajungal

Cajungal

If your family has a history of thyroid problems, it can cause an immense amount of weight gain for the woman. Mood swings too. It's really not a fun pill.

This sounds like a fun pill. I'd be happy to use it.[/QUOTE]

I just ask because I asked both my doctors about the weight gain thing and both said that it doesn't really effect most people, at least not for long. I can definitely agree that mood swings are a problem. I'm not a huge fan of the pill.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

the article said:
The scientist behind the male pill discovery has developed a tablet that removes a vital protein in sperm that is required for a woman to conceive.

So while sperm still get through to the uterus they are unable to fertilize an egg.
I don't think birth defects will be a problem, since the only thing being denied is the protein that allows the whole process to even take place.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I just ask because I asked both my doctors about the weight gain thing and both said that it doesn't really effect most people, at least not for long. I can definitely agree that mood swings are a problem. I'm not a huge fan of the pill.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not most women, but some. One woman my gal knows used them for years. She gained a couple hundred pounds and has diabetes from swollen thyroid.

Dream Goddess

Dream Goddess

YES PLZ. Then we can be as bunneh rabbitz, yes? ^o^

Morphine

Morphine

I just ask because I asked both my doctors about the weight gain thing and both said that it doesn't really effect most people, at least not for long. I can definitely agree that mood swings are a problem. I'm not a huge fan of the pill.[/QUOTE]

Well all the doctors that I've asked about this tell me the same thing: the weight gain is only water retention and it doesn't last for more than a week or two, you normally don't gain more than a couple of pounds and it's not actually extra fat storing in your body, you're just water bloated... and it goes away.
I took the pill for some months last year and I did notice once a month my jeans would be a little tighter and I would feel -precisely- bloated, it wasn't nice, I didn't like that part at all but I sure liked not having to worry about getting pregnant. It's not the perfect solution but I prefer my peace of mind.

There are tons of other better contraceptive methods though, the patch has much less hormones so it doesn't make you retain water the way the pill does, I actually tried the patch too but it turns out my whiny-poor-quality skin didn't like it, the place where I put the patch would always get read and dry and itchy, (which doesn't necessarily happen to everybody) so I changed to the pill.
The vaginal ring has even less hormones and I've read/heard that it practically has zero side effects, you can even take it off during intercourse and then just put it back in. I am yet to try that one... and something tells me I won't for a long time u_u.

Vagabond

V.Bond

I want this inside me so bad.

Pause.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yeah, I'll be moody if I can be more sure I won't get pregnant, too... still... if this new thing is safe and effective....

Morphine

Morphine

Definetely! it sounds too good to be true but god I hope it's true...

Troll

Troll

As soon as I can be certain there won't be serious side effects you can sign me up.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

As soon as I can be certain there won't be serious side effects you can sign me up.
Yeah, I don't wanna get moody or gain weight or have my period come at odd times.

Those things are for girls.

Troll

Troll

Yeah, I don't wanna get moody or gain weight or have my period come at odd times.

Those things are for girls.[/QUOTE]

Did you not notice when I said "serious" up there? I don't care about mood swings, I care about cancer or permanent sterility.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Those things are for girls.[/QUOTE]

Did you not notice when I said "serious" up there? I don't care about mood swings, I care about cancer or permanent sterility.[/QUOTE]

At first I read that as "I don't care about mood swing, cancer, or permanent sterility" and thought, good gods, this guy has some balls (until the pills kick in); what the hell does he consider serious side effects?

Calleja

Calleja

Or your penis falling off.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Or your penis falling off.
Do you have nightmares about this, like some people have nightmares about their teeth falling out?

Calleja

Calleja

Not literally, but I think it's safe to say it's something I really, really, really, really want to make sure never happens, yes.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Not literally, but I think it's safe to say it's something I really, really, really, really want to make sure never happens, yes.
Oh come on, be ballsy.

Like Troll!

Calleja

Calleja

I don't want my balls to fall off, either.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Why? You're not using them...

(nothing personal, I swear.... it was just too tempting to pass up! Don't beat me! )

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Why? You're not using them...

(nothing personal, I swear.... it was just too tempting to pass up! Don't beat me! )[/QUOTE]

You did the right thing, Charon.

Calleja

Calleja

He really did.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Metro Police: We do what we must, because we can.

Calleja

Calleja

For the good of all us.

Except the ones who are dead.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

But there's no sense crying over every mistake.

We just keep on driving til it's "OH SHI- NO BRAKES!"

Jay

Jay

This is a great find and if it truly can do what it can do it's a great way to reduce teen pregnancy as well as another barrier from getting unwanted children.

Soliloquy

Now you'll have to be really stupid to have a kid.

Wait, is this a good thing?

Necronic

Necronic

Usually it's not a nightmare, but a dream, like my penis comes off and I go to my cabinet and swap it out for a different one. This one is for one type of pleasure, that one is for another, this one is for speed, and this one lets me fit into leather pants, the last one has a fingernail (for scaring people)

Morphine

Morphine

I just read this... I can't even do a proper face palm for this, someone please do the honors...

Sheesh.

Wasabi Poptart

Usually it's not a nightmare, but a dream, like my penis comes off and I go to my cabinet and swap it out for a different one. This one is for one type of pleasure, that one is for another, this one is for speed, and this one lets me fit into leather pants, the last one has a fingernail (for scaring people)

Chazwozel

I just read this... I can't even do a proper face palm for this, someone please do the honors...

Sheesh.[/QUOTE]

When STD reports start increasing around the U.S., I'll be the bigger man and not laugh in your face.

You know why AIDS is so rampant in Africa? Because women don't have any choices in regards to sexual freedom.

This is going to be a great addition to birth control i.e. replacement for vasectomies (even though a vasectomy is probably the lightest and easiest surgical procedure on the planet), but in the long run it's not going to be a solution to much else.

But you see how your mind instantly assumed my comment was stupid? Because the first thing that pops in there is how you're not going to get pregnant now if a guy tells you he's "on the pill". There's a very limited niche market for the effect use of this drug. No one ever thinks of gonorrhea before or after having sex. Their biggest concern is pregnancy.

Necronic

Necronic

If the only application is in 3rd world countries, then yes, this is useless. As is any other form of contraceptive, because the problem isn't the pregnancy as much as it is the STDs. Hell, pregnancy is a good thing there when you look at estimates of what the population will look like after a couple more decades of AIDs.

However, in a broader application it is pretty useful. I know a number of men who have gotten vasectomies, and its never pleasant (and with one friend it didn't work! Hello new baby.) Also, birth control isn't something that works well with all women. For some it causes emotional issues and diminishes their sex drive, so in some monomogomous relationships it may make more sense to just take the pill.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Interesting, I wonder how soon it can be weaponized and deployed into Irans food supply.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Interesting, I wonder how soon it can be weaponized and deployed into Irans food supply.
China and India need to develop it and use it instead of fluoride in the water supply.

Morphine

Morphine

Sheesh.[/QUOTE]

When STD reports start increasing around the U.S., I'll be the bigger man and not laugh in your face.

You know why AIDS is so rampant in Africa? Because women don't have any choices in regards to sexual freedom.

This is going to be a great addition to birth control i.e. replacement for vasectomies (even though a vasectomy is probably the lightest and easiest surgical procedure on the planet), but in the long run it's not going to be a solution to much else.

But you see how your mind instantly assumed my comment was stupid? Because the first thing that pops in there is how you're not going to get pregnant now if a guy tells you he's "on the pill". There's a very limited niche market for the effect use of this drug. No one ever thinks of gonorrhea before or after having sex. Their biggest concern is pregnancy.[/QUOTE]

What I thought was stupid is the way you put such a huge majoritarian percentage of the world out of the "niche".

Calleja

Calleja

Americans only find themselves and Europe to be civilized, remember?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

What about Canada eh? :)

phil

phil

I'd probably forget to take mine. I'm gunning for sterility anyway, he said as he placed his laptop on his crotch.

Chazwozel

No, but we have lower birth rates i.e. our women have more choices and sexual freedoms.

GasBandit

GasBandit

America's hat.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

America's hat.[/QUOTE]

I guess that means we're civilized by association then?

:p

(damn that comic strip)

Morphine

Morphine

No, but we have lower birth rates i.e. our women have more choices and sexual freedoms.[/QUOTE]

Women in my 3rd world country have the same sexual freedoms as the women in most of the states in the US
don't you find "3rd world countries where women aren't usually pregnant by choice" a little over the top?
Unwanted pregnancy is an issue, but it's not the rule and not what "usually" happens.

Chazwozel

No, but we have lower birth rates i.e. our women have more choices and sexual freedoms.[/QUOTE]

Women in my 3rd world country have the same sexual freedoms as the women in most of the states in the US
don't you find "3rd world countries where women aren't usually pregnant by choice" a little over the top?
Unwanted pregnancy is an issue, but it's not the rule and not what "usually" happens.[/QUOTE]

The women in Mexico that have access to birth control have freedoms; the ones that don't- don't. A male contraceptive pill isn't going to change that. The reason birth rates are lower in developed countries has always hinged on the education and services provided to by women; not men.

With things like birth control, the U.S. isn't the problem. It's underdeveloped countries. Mexico is one of them. A male birth control pill isn't going to solve the problem. As other people have pointed out: yes, it does add an additional option. My argument wasn't based on the small niches that this pill is going to cover. On a global scale, its release is essentially worthless.

The big problem I see down the line, is the transmission of STD's because of false assumptionss, not only in areas where they think fucking a sheep will cure you of AIDS, but in the United States as well. More people will use less condoms because the looming specter of pregnancy will overshadow all other factors, like Herpes, HIV, Gonorrhea etc...