[Crafting] Scalemail Outfit (definitely NSFW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I finally got permission from V to post these. The scales are brushed, clear anodized aluminum, and the rings are 16 gauge 5/16" bright aluminum (the bronze ones are anodized aluminum). The larger rings in the belt are 14 gauge 3/8". The outfit is based off Red Sonja's comic-book costume. I did not make the pauldron or the boots or the sword, obviously.
Veronic_SeanOConnor_1.jpg
Veronic_SeanOConnor_2.jpg
Veronic_SeanOConnor_3.jpg

M

makare

It is very good work. I especially love the scale... as I am wont to do.

Thanks! I am taking commissions, and my rates are reasonable. :)

This was an outfit commissioned by a friend:

willowscaleoutfit.jpg
Willowscaletop.jpg

V

Veronic

Hi Everyone!

Having modeled and worn the armor I must say the quality is amazing.
I was expecting the parts to either hurt or fit loosely/poorly: it really wasn't the case.
Everything was designed with great care.
The bracers fit so well they are like a second skin.
I really recommend Sean aka Null to anyone that wants a custom designed armor!

btw The Pauldron was custom done by a local store here in Montreal called Dracolite (Rachel did it): also a great design!

Best!

V.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Wow...

Also, I'm biting my tongue here not to say anything kinky. What can I say? Beautiful women + scale mail = NR's jaw dropping to the floor.

In any case, I'm sure Null will appreciate your commendations, V. And if you like, stick around. We wouldn't mind seeing you around more often.

Oh crap, that sounded creepy, didn't it?

V

Veronic

@North Ranger: not creepy at all! :)
I'll definitely keep an eye out what's going on in this Forum
I m a gamer (Pathfinder) and love 2 dress up in fantasy costumes!
Null/Sean (we met because of gaming) was nice enough to test his designs on me!

V.

PS: cool Klingon look btw! I m a Star Trek fan and Worf is one of my faves (with Data and Picard)!

Wow, V, that's really kind of you to say. I had a good time making it I look forward to future costume projects we can work on. :)

North_Ranger

Staff member
It's actually Dwarf from Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning, but hey, when a gorgeous woman compliments, a wise man shuts up ;) Thanks.

B

Biannoshufu

Very ineffective armor. The vital organs are all left entirely exposed.

...am I doing it wrong?
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Not very useful if you can just gore out the soft bits with a spear.

J

Jenn

I'm doing something similar for Halloween. Red Sonja was a fave growing up. Approx. how many rings(both sizes) and scales did you need to order? The Ring Lord site sells them, but I don't want to order way more than I need to. Also, what did U use to hook the belt closed? I appreciate any info you can give. Thanks.

I'm doing something similar for Halloween. Red Sonja was a fave growing up. Approx. how many rings(both sizes) and scales did you need to order? The Ring Lord site sells them, but I don't want to order way more than I need to. Also, what did U use to hook the belt closed? I appreciate any info you can give. Thanks.
I ordered from The Ring Lord myself, actually. I'd say you should get at least 300 large AA clear-coated brushed metal scales, 15 ounces of saw cut bright aluminium 16ga 5/16" rings, and 1 bag of anodized aluminum (bronze) 16ga 5/16" rings. I used toggles for fastening the belt and top - the 13mm OD Stainless Steel should work.

Looks like nice work. I have little idea of how those things are done, so I hope you will not mind if I ask some dumb questions.

Are you using butted mail, or does it make sense to weld the rings?

That's a fine question. I use butted mail. I have no experience welding, but I might instead at some point use neoprene or solid rings mixed in instead to give it more endurance. But for this purpose, that didn't seem like a major issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.