Same sex marriage outvoted in Maine

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lally

It's a bit underhanded to say that folks voted a certain way b/c they are/were ignorant.
You're right. They're not ignorant. They know exactly what they did and why the did it. So no, they're not ignorant. Intolerant, yes. Moronic, yes. Bigoted, yes. Ignorant, no.

drawn_inward said:
As for the issue of gay marriage, I don't know how to make it equal for all. It seems like no matter what is done, there is someone left out.
Actually, if you give everyone equal rights, then everyone has equal rights, and no one is left out that way. That's what equal means. No matter what these intolerant, moronic bigots say, they are having nothing taken away from them by giving someone else rights. If anyone actually thinks that's true, then I just don't know what to say to you.

(Sorry, drawn_inward, I hate to call out your post specifically. This is really in general pointed to anyone who thinks we must make a compromise with intolerant bigots on this issue.)

Cajungal

Staff member
Well, what the straight people who aren't for this 'miss out' on is a level of comfort and familiarity that they're used to, I guess. But that's not a good enough excuse.

It's a bit underhanded to say that folks voted a certain way b/c they are/were ignorant.
You're right. They're not ignorant. They know exactly what they did and why the did it. So no, they're not ignorant. Intolerant, yes. Moronic, yes. Bigoted, yes. Ignorant, no.

drawn_inward said:
As for the issue of gay marriage, I don't know how to make it equal for all. It seems like no matter what is done, there is someone left out.
Actually, if you give everyone equal rights, then everyone has equal rights, and no one is left out that way. That's what equal means. No matter what these intolerant, moronic bigots say, they are having nothing taken away from them by giving someone else rights. If anyone actually thinks that's true, then I just don't know what to say to you.

(Sorry, drawn_inward, I hate to call out your post specifically. This is really in general pointed to anyone who thinks we must make a compromise with intolerant bigots on this issue.)[/QUOTE]

You know Lally, I get what you are saying and to an extent I agree with you (and I've made my personal feelings on the actual issue quite clear), however, I just really think if you want to convince people to change their views calling names and using hateful words on who have differing views than you isn't going to do anything but inflame an already hot topic.
I'm not saying don't be passionate, but I have yet to see someone be swayed by the "you are a bigoted and intolerant moron" argument. Instead they just go, "See how angry and hateful the other side is? We must be right!"

L

Lally

You know Lally, I get what you are saying and to an extent I agree with you (and I've made my personal feelings on the actual issue quite clear), however, I just really think if you want to convince people to change their views calling names and using hateful words on who have differing views than you isn't going to do anything but inflame an already hot topic.
I'm not saying don't be passionate, but I have yet to see someone be swayed by the "you are a bigoted and intolerant moron" argument. Instead they just go, "See how angry and hateful the other side is? We must be right!"
I understand. :( It's true, I lose my cool when it comes to this stuff. But I just get so frustrated, and no matter how hard I try, on this issue, I just can't see it any other way. I am angry and hateful. This is one of the very few issues that I'm unequivocal about. I am not the type to argue about politics because a lot of times I can see things from both sides. But in this case, I honestly feel that if one doesn't feel everyone should have equal rights, he or she is just wrong. I just don't know what to do. I almost feel that if someone is already intolerant, there's no way to convince them otherwise anyway.

Talking about equal rights just makes me angry, and sad, and frustrated all around. Sorry for taking the conversation in a negative direction.

Here's the thing Lally, and hopefully this will give you some comfort: Things will and have already changed. We are miles ahead of where we were just, what? 40 years ago? when it comes to equal rights for all.

Things will continue to change.

The hard truth is that it won't come overnight. It's going to take time, it might be 10, 20, or more years before homosexuals in every state can marry, but I have zero doubt, it WILL happen.

It doesn't mean everyone will agree on it, but things and people will change or be left behind. If our history has taught us anything as a country it's that there is a slow and steady march forwards so don't despair, just work on loving those around you and changing their minds by showing them no matter how horrible their views (or they as people are) they can't stop you from being better to them than they are to others. It will blow them away. I promise.

Not only that but, why not be nice to them? Your side of this issue WILL win, very likely in our lifetime. So in one sense all you have to do it keep working towards the inevitable future. :)

W

WolfOfOdin

I'm more or less in agreement with Espy here. Change of this sort is inevitable, but it's going to take a damn long amount of time for the lunatic fringe to stop shrieking loudly.

Hell, try one day immersing yourself in the world of those who find an idea you like repugnant, and learn the level of fervor and manic energy behind what they're doing. Frog-girl was a rabid lunatic, but I've met FAR worse when I had to do a research paper on the effect the internet's had on Hate Groups. It's not pretty, but you have to acknowledge that it's there and will take a great deal of time or a very, very strong blow to fade away.

C

Chibibar

I understand. :( It's true, I lose my cool when it comes to this stuff. But I just get so frustrated, and no matter how hard I try, on this issue, I just can't see it any other way. I am angry and hateful. This is one of the very few issues that I'm unequivocal about. I am not the type to argue about politics because a lot of times I can see things from both sides. But in this case, I honestly feel that if one doesn't feel everyone should have equal rights, he or she is just wrong. I just don't know what to do. I almost feel that if someone is already intolerant, there's no way to convince them otherwise anyway.

Talking about equal rights just makes me angry, and sad, and frustrated all around. Sorry for taking the conversation in a negative direction.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. but at the same time I don't want to force my ideal to other either (do unto others as you want them to do to you) so if I force my equal rights bit, I feel I am no better than the bigots who are against it (at least in my head)

My wife and I were married via JP. We actually got a Marriage license from the City of Dallas. yes, it said Marriage. I know that the history of marriage goes a long way back, BUT the "institution of marriage" in today's age is WAY different than say 200 years ago.

What does Hetro couple get automatically?
1. Power of attorney - your spouse can make legal decision on your behalf. This include financial, medical decision (especially when you don't have a living will), and laws of property. If your spouse died without a will, you get the property by default. Same sex couple would need to play money (hetro couple get this for free) to actually draw out legal documents, living wills, and power of attorney papers to prove the other person can make decisions on their behalf.

2. Visitation rights - this is a biggy for a friend of mine. Hospital (many in Dallas) will NOT let non family member to visit their love one. Brother, husband, wife, sister, father, mother, but noooooooo if you are of the same sex..... nope. (some hospital does allow with special advance permission but what if you are in a coma?)

3. name change upon marry. traditionally you take the husband's name, but you can legally take on your spouse's last name instead without charge (and it is legal) for same sex, you would have to pay 300$ for a name change in Dallas.

4. Adoption - sadly not much we can on this one, many are run via church group and won't let same sex couple adopt (there are some agency that does but those are rare)

5. tax benefits - nuff said

those are just some of the biggies. I believe that government should not FORCE a church to marry anyone they don't want to, actually right now a church can refuse me and my wife to marry in their church if I don't follow their belief and that is not illegal.

The only thing I'm fighting for is the same rights in the eye of the government. The same benefit that the U.S. government give to my wife and I, I want those same rights to any other COUPLE out there.

L

Lally

some really nice stuff that made me feel hopeful
I'm humbled by your reason and rationality. I feel like a tool for being so snarky, and not having as much faith in humanity...

...but then again, on the other hand, I still want to shake people who, in a misguided attempt to be respectful of everyone, feel we need to make a compromise on this issue. The difference is, when we force the legal system to recognize what is fair and right, it forces absolutely no change to those who don't support equal rights. Conversely, when they force their opinion on others, even if it is by majority vote, they are affecting the lives of others.

I really applaud your attitude. I do. But to be perfectly honest, I don't know if I can be respectful to those who hold opinions I don't respect. Not on this issue. I guess that makes me a hypocrite. I envy your ability to treat people, even people with misguided or even vile opinions, with kindness. I just don't know if I can stomach it. But I won't continue to snark at people here.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Yeah, the whole thing about churches being forced to marry gays is pretty much a complete non-issue that anti-same sex marriage types use to stir up fear. It's not something that is going to happen. It's not even something that currently happens with heterosexual couples.

*shrug* In Belgium or the Netherlands, religious marriage has absolutely zero impact. Legal marriage is a completely different and separate ceremony and stuff. Most people do both on the same day (and you get the bonus of going from city hall to your church of choice in mode of transport of choice, you know, you can make it look real good in a horse-drawn carriage or whatever), but there's no actual connection between the two. My parents got married legally in october and for the church in..ehh, I think april, could be may. Eh.
Anyway, the whole idea of having the priest/rabbi/preacher/imam/jedi master giving out legally binding interpersonal contracts is just plain awkward and wrong to me. He's not a recognised member of the state, why the hell should he hand out tax breaks?
A priest marrying two people, or me holding a Klingon ceremony to marry two people, hold the exact same value, legally (well, no - those by recognised religions can ask for some of the interpersonal benefits like visitation rights and usually get it easier than those of made-up religions, I guess - but they still have to pass a judge).

Also: about the anti-divorce guy...I was actually 100% ready to believe it. If marriage is so religious for people, divorce should be pretty much impossible...It's "till death do us part". What is joined by God, no man can break. And all that jazz.

when we force the legal system to recognize what is fair and right, it forces absolutely no change to those who don't support equal rights. Conversely, when they force their opinion on others, even if it is by majority vote, they are affecting the lives of others.

[/QUOTE]

This is a point I wanted to make. This really isn't something that should be decided via popular vote. Homosexuals have their rights at stake whereas opponents of same sex marriage only have their sensibilities at stake.

A

Armadillo

when we force the legal system to recognize what is fair and right, it forces absolutely no change to those who don't support equal rights. Conversely, when they force their opinion on others, even if it is by majority vote, they are affecting the lives of others.

[/QUOTE]

This is a point I wanted to make. This really isn't something that should be decided via popular vote. Homosexuals have their rights at stake whereas opponents of same sex marriage only have their sensibilities at stake.[/QUOTE]

Careful with the language here; marriage isn't a "right" as enumerated in the Constitution.

C

Chibibar

[/QUOTE]

This is a point I wanted to make. This really isn't something that should be decided via popular vote. Homosexuals have their rights at stake whereas opponents of same sex marriage only have their sensibilities at stake.[/QUOTE]

Careful with the language here; marriage isn't a "right" as enumerated in the Constitution.[/QUOTE]

maybe not Constitution rights, but definitely legal rights for sure.

It's not pretty, but you have to acknowledge that it's there and will take a great deal of time or a very, very strong blow to fade away.
Some never do. KKK comes to mind.

Thankfully over time, they become the minority instead of the majority.[/QUOTE]

Even the members change over time. Several have defected upon seeing the wrongness of their ways. The organization has lost so much power from its peak in the '20's and is weaker still than its militant peak of the 50's and 60's.

The thing about the wrong side of history is that those that stay behind, get left behind.

A

Armadillo

[/QUOTE]

Careful with the language here; marriage isn't a "right" as enumerated in the Constitution.[/QUOTE]

maybe not Constitution rights, but definitely legal rights for sure.[/QUOTE]

I'd argue for "privilege," but a privilege that should be extended to all.

I

Iaculus

It's not pretty, but you have to acknowledge that it's there and will take a great deal of time or a very, very strong blow to fade away.
Some never do. KKK comes to mind.

Thankfully over time, they become the minority instead of the majority.[/QUOTE]

Superman owned their faces.

Good going, Stetson Kennedy.

C

Chibibar

I'd argue for "privilege," but a privilege that should be extended to all.
I can go with that.

just for future if anyone question what I defend against: I don't care of the religious aspect marriage. I'm fighting for equal rights for everyone. I will continue to vote, participate and donate money or time toward that goal :)

I won't back down from calling it a right but I will try to defend my idea of why it is a right a little better.

It is a right to not be discriminated against for something you can not control. Like skin color, like sexual preference.

As Chibibar outlined in previous post marriage comes with all kinds of legal rights that really ought to be extended to any two citizens interested in forming stable long term unions with one another.

Marriage is a privilege but not between you and society. It's a privilege between you and your spouse.

I think homosexuals have the right to access that privilege too.

W

WolfOfOdin

The problem is, Tim, that the prevailing and major mindset amongst those who oppose same-sex marriage is that homosexuality ISN'T an inborn and unchangible thing like race, but a mental illness that needs to be cured. These are the people that say therapy and prayer camps will make the most flamboyant gay man into a paragon of heterosexuality, and they believe that idiocy with all their hearts. That notion has to be completely and utterly destroyed before they'll budge an inch, and even then it's going to be a VERY tough fight.

What does it being a right or not matter?! Allowing it (at a governmental level) for one segment of people but not others is discrimination, right or no right...

And if anyone bring up marriage vs civil union, i swear, i will beat you to death with a dictionary... gah.

T

TotalFusionOne

Oh hai.

I see you guys are having a debate about something I protested last night outside V for Vendetta.

Just a quick two cents: Federal government stops recognizing "Marriage." Period. Civil Unions are no more than tax / estate / green card solutions. Possible issues: The Gay "Rights" groups out there suddenly realize that they actually DON'T want civil unions, they just wanted to draw more attention to their "cause" because they think that we should be forced to accept everyone just for who they are.

Except people who believe in white supremacy, anti-abortion advocates, and Scientologists.

The Gay "Rights" groups out there suddenly realize that they actually DON'T want civil unions, they just wanted to draw more attention to their "cause" because they think that we should be forced to accept everyone just for who they are.
Don't lump all of gay rights under this. Most people just want to be accepted as equals, as human fucking beings. Was MLK just yelling about attention for his "cause"? And what the FUCK is so wrong about accepting everyone for who they are, how can you say that like it's a bad thing? It's, at worst, common human decency.

Possible issues: The Gay "Rights" groups out there suddenly realize that they actually DON'T want civil unions, they just wanted to draw more attention to their "cause" because they think that we should be forced to accept everyone just for who they are.
Or hey, not being able to know anything about your partner's car wreck condition or possible death because you're not "related".

Nahhh, we just want attention. :rolleyes:

The Gay "Rights" groups out there suddenly realize that they actually DON'T want civil unions, they just wanted to draw more attention to their "cause" because they think that we should be forced to accept everyone just for who they are.
Don't lump all of gay rights under this. Most people just want to be accepted as equals, as human fucking beings. Was MLK just yelling about attention for his "cause"? And what the FUCK is so wrong about accepting everyone for who they are, how can you say that like it's a bad thing? It's, at worst, common human decency.[/QUOTE]

You deemed it necessary to respond to him in the first place, and then lose your cool too?

Don't lump all of gay rights under this. Most people just want to be accepted as equals, as human fucking beings. Was MLK just yelling about attention for his "cause"? And what the FUCK is so wrong about accepting everyone for who they are, how can you say that like it's a bad thing? It's, at worst, common human decency.[/QUOTE]

You deemed it necessary to respond to him in the first place, and then lose your cool too?[/QUOTE]

That isn't losing my cool! I didn't call him any names or anything :confused:

The problem is, Tim, that the prevailing and major mindset amongst those who oppose same-sex marriage is that homosexuality ISN'T an inborn and unchangible thing like race, but a mental illness that needs to be cured. These are the people that say therapy and prayer camps will make the most flamboyant gay man into a paragon of heterosexuality, and they believe that idiocy with all their hearts. That notion has to be completely and utterly destroyed before they'll budge an inch, and even then it's going to be a VERY tough fight.
So why even try to get them to budge. I know that this is may be considered a tenuous parallel to make but Jim Crow laws weren't repealed through a popular vote. Had it been left to a vote who knows how much longer that situation could have persisted.

At the end of the day the worst societal consequences of same sex marriage is going to be that a some comically misguided people with good intentions--and a few bigots too-- will act butthurt while the rest of society passes them by.

I can live with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.