Rough Sketch of my Novel's Cover!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm still waiting to hear back from Pyr regarding my manuscript, I went on the Digital Webbing forums and asked if an artist would be interested in doing a cover for the novel.

Chris Shehan responded and I was very impressed with some of his other work that he showed me. Just this morning, he sent me the first rough sketch. It's pretty damn awesome.

armadillo sketch.jpg

If I buy this book and it's not about the mysterious mating habits of the majestic Armadillo, I'mma be pissed.

I take it you're publishing it yourself now, TNG, since publishers don't take covers from the author.

It's a cool design and perspective. I'll look forward to seeing the finished version.

As I said in the original post, I've contacted Pyr and waiting to hear back from them. Part of me is hoping that maybe they'll consider my friend's cover. I told him I couldn't guarantee it, but I'd at least ask.

Self-publishing, personally, isn't an option.

Wow, they actually accept unagented submissions. I think I can count on one hand how many publishers I've seen who are willing to do that. I wish you good luck then; that's a good find.

Honestly, Nick, most publishers don't take art that the author has suggested or submitted... but when you get one, they need to swallow their pride and take a fucking look, because that's more apt to attract people than whatever shitty Photoshop job they wanna suggest from their in-guy.

My thoughts exactly. I knew, when I was writing this novel, exactly the kind of cover I wanted. While this isn't exactly what I had in mind (and likely would be hard to accomplish unless I could draw it myself), it's pretty damn close and damn gorgeous. At the very least, I'll send a link of the picture along with my cover letters if it's online. If it's by snail mail (which seems to becoming rarer and rarer), I'll print out a copy and send it with the manuscript. Not only do I want my friend Chris to get what he deserves, but I may very well use him again for future covers. :D

Well, with all this talk of novels and stuff, I need to keep Dilbert Pinkerton in the spotlight a little bit. NO ONE STEALS MY SPOTLIGHT, DAMMIT! :p

Having a look at this thread, I realized that I hadn't posted the final, fully updated picture since I asked Chris to make a few changes to Dill on the cover. Specifically, giving him a hairy underbelly and his muttonchops/chin strap, which he scratches when he's stumped or just waking up.
a m final chops - small size.jpg

When I first saw the image, I thought Dill's beard made him look sort of Amish. Which, knowing Dill, is hilariously ironic.

Status
Not open for further replies.