Export thread

Rough Sketch of my Novel's Cover!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

While I'm still waiting to hear back from Pyr regarding my manuscript, I went on the Digital Webbing forums and asked if an artist would be interested in doing a cover for the novel.

Chris Shehan responded and I was very impressed with some of his other work that he showed me. Just this morning, he sent me the first rough sketch. It's pretty damn awesome.

armadillo sketch.jpg

Chippy

Chippy

If I buy this book and it's not about the mysterious mating habits of the majestic Armadillo, I'mma be pissed.

Dave

Dave

Looks interesting!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

What if it stars a five-foot-nothing mutant armadillo named Dilbert Pinkerton?

He digs for the truth. :D

Made Ya Blush

Made Ya Blush

That is an awesome sketch. Perfect for the cover.

Looks interesting!
It isn't interesting, okay it is, but it is also an AWESOME novel.

Just saying.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I take it you're publishing it yourself now, TNG, since publishers don't take covers from the author.

It's a cool design and perspective. I'll look forward to seeing the finished version.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

As I said in the original post, I've contacted Pyr and waiting to hear back from them. Part of me is hoping that maybe they'll consider my friend's cover. I told him I couldn't guarantee it, but I'd at least ask.

Self-publishing, personally, isn't an option.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wow, they actually accept unagented submissions. I think I can count on one hand how many publishers I've seen who are willing to do that. I wish you good luck then; that's a good find.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Finished version of the cover. One nitpick aside about Dill's underbelly (which I told Chris about), this is absolutely gorgeous.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Holy shit. That's incredible.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Right? Right!?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Honestly, Nick, most publishers don't take art that the author has suggested or submitted... but when you get one, they need to swallow their pride and take a fucking look, because that's more apt to attract people than whatever shitty Photoshop job they wanna suggest from their in-guy.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

My thoughts exactly. I knew, when I was writing this novel, exactly the kind of cover I wanted. While this isn't exactly what I had in mind (and likely would be hard to accomplish unless I could draw it myself), it's pretty damn close and damn gorgeous. At the very least, I'll send a link of the picture along with my cover letters if it's online. If it's by snail mail (which seems to becoming rarer and rarer), I'll print out a copy and send it with the manuscript. Not only do I want my friend Chris to get what he deserves, but I may very well use him again for future covers. :D

Cajungal

Cajungal

So, so cool.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Well, with all this talk of novels and stuff, I need to keep Dilbert Pinkerton in the spotlight a little bit. NO ONE STEALS MY SPOTLIGHT, DAMMIT! :p

Having a look at this thread, I realized that I hadn't posted the final, fully updated picture since I asked Chris to make a few changes to Dill on the cover. Specifically, giving him a hairy underbelly and his muttonchops/chin strap, which he scratches when he's stumped or just waking up.
a m final chops - small size.jpg

When I first saw the image, I thought Dill's beard made him look sort of Amish. Which, knowing Dill, is hilariously ironic.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Definitely an improvement. I love the wear marks on the corners of the art as well.