Export thread

Rogue One: The Thickening (SPOILER THREAD!)

strawman

strawman

Ok, so this is the Rogue One spoiler thread. I suspect there's going to be lots of chatter about it, and rather than making people try to avoid spoiler marked posts in other threads we should just have open spoiler discussions here and make them avoid a whole thread.

So, no need to mark spoilers. This first post is your last warning if you are trying to avoid spoilers. If you want to mark them, go ahead, but ain't no one here but what want to hear them already.

Fantastic movie, all around - now discuss!

Just Me

Just Me

Fantastic movie, all around.

It felt weird going in without fanfare and scroll text, but that was over quick. The movie was differnet than I expected from the trailer, at least for a while before things got rolling. More or less since Jyn went for her father on Eadu that proper feeling came up and goosebumpf rarely stopped.
It was a great movie up to that point, getting to know all the characters, at least as much as the scope of one movie allowed. But afterwards, once Rogue One had taken off it really was one emotional rollercoaster. Definitely not a 'Disney' movie any more, as many suspected before. Probably also thanks to reshoots.
That battle, land and space, really took me in and made me gasp a lot.
That whole movie, the whole setting and story was what I grew up with RP'ing good ol' WEG's D6 pen & paper RPG.

I had no trouble with Tarkin's resurection, somehow uncanny valley isn't a place I ever find weird. I was more awed than anything else.

More thoughts and impressions when I'm back with more time.

"Are you kidding me? I'm blind!"

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

That Darth Vader dark corridor scene at the end, though. :aaah:

strawman

strawman

I had no trouble with Tarkin's resurection, somehow uncanny valley isn't a place I ever find weird. I was more awed than anything else.
I had absolutely no problem with it. Watched it in 3D, so that could have changed my perception, I'll certainly be paying attention later, but it wasn't a wooden face, nor were the teeth/lips sliding around like the dreadful kfc cgi character years ago, and the skin, eyes, etc were fine. Was pleasantly surprised that they did close ups of him - very bold, and it worked well.

Was surprised to see that they had an actor play leia, but not him, particularly since they could have used prosthetics to pull it off if they wanted.

I think we've reached a real tipping point for human CGI, and I hope they make a siggraph presentation about it and make that public.[DOUBLEPOST=1481998475,1481998217][/DOUBLEPOST]
That Darth Vader dark corridor scene at the end, though. :aaah:
Yes! Between that and the offhand comment earlier (be sure you don't choke on your ambition) wonderfully sealed the deal on Vader.

klew

klew

I'm still not sure how I feel about everyone in our main team having a moment to reflect and accept their imminent death. It's a war, and people die suddenly, sometimes stupidly and unluckily, but I don't think that happened to any of them.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I'm still not sure how I feel about everyone in our main team having a moment to reflect and accept their imminent death. It's a war, and people die suddenly, sometimes stupidly and unluckily, but I don't think that happened to any of them.
That turncoat Imperial pilot guy didn't get much time to reflect before that grenade went off next to him.

klew

klew

He looked at it, and didn't try to hide or escape, so I considered that his moment.

Just Me

Just Me

I thought it was okay that every main member got a proper scene. There's only so much time in an ensemble movie to deal with each character and as such I only found it fair that nobody got left behind in that regard. Probably also saved the internet from a lot of whining.

strawman

strawman

I think too many movies/stories leave out this aspect of war, and while it's not pleasant to contemplate I think it would have been a disservice to the story to hide the fact that many in war have a moment where they know "this is it. I'm going to die here" and come to terms with that. The deus ex machina doesn't happen all the time, and here's a "many bothan died to bring us this information" in our face.

I'm glad they didn't shoehorn a romance in there.

I thought the idea of vader continuing to live on the planet where he fell was brilliant. It shows that he never moved on, he's still stuck in the same place mentally and emotionally.

Turns out Leia wasn't cgi, they got a look-alike, but the credits still thank carrie fisher, so I'm curious to know if she got paid for this.

If it were cgi I could see payment to use a likeness, but actors replace characters all the time and old actors don't get paid for characters newly played by different actors. However if peter cushing were alive would they owe him royalties for a cgi lookalike? Because they used actual footage of him in previous films to create the cgi version, arguably it isn't merely a likeness but it was him, or at least a version of him skinned over a cgi framework.

Thus I'm guessing they couldn't do leia as cgi without paying her.

Fascinating to think about, anyway.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Wait, Leia wasn't CGI?

When he first showed up, I remember thinking that its amazing how much the lookalike looked like Tarkin, and I thought the Leia looked weird and fake. Had no idea he was CGI until I went on the internet.

I know that they worked out some kind of deal with his estate for this film, so I'm guessing they are legally required to. There was the issue with Back to the Future 2 and Crispin Glover that I think made it so an actor's likeness can't be reused like that.

strawman

strawman

@GasBandit the second hit from the death star was aimed specifically at the archive tower, and it hit the dish on top of it, but presumably due to the location of the Death Star it would have hit at an angle, so I don't have an issue with that part.

GasBandit

GasBandit

@GasBandit the second hit from the death star was aimed specifically at the archive tower, and it hit the dish on top of it, but presumably due to the location of the Death Star it would have hit at an angle, so I don't have an issue with that part.
That makes no sense, Tarkin said to destroy the base. Even the Dreadnoks know that to destroy a tower, you aim at the bottom and the rest comes tumbling down.

(skip to 1:20)
[DOUBLEPOST=1482024415,1482024030][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wait, Leia wasn't CGI?
Hah, this to me as well... I thought Tarkin was more convicing CGI than Leia :rofl:

fade

fade

Hmm guess I'm not as forgiving of CGI as you guys. Tarkin bugged me. He felt rubber faced and it seemed like they overdid the facial tics to sell it. But the movie was great. It didn't detract from the original, rather it added to it.

Could've done without Vader's cheesy one-liner though.[DOUBLEPOST=1482026154,1482026069][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh the weirdest thing was that there were only maybe 25 other people in the theater.

Dei

Dei

Hmm guess I'm not as forgiving of CGI as you guys. Tarkin bugged me. He felt rubber faced and it seemed like they overdid the facial tics to sell it. But the movie was great. It didn't detract from the original, rather it added to it.

Could've done without Vader's cheesy one-liner though.[DOUBLEPOST=1482026154,1482026069][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh the weirdest thing was that there were only maybe 25 other people in the theater.
My husband said the same thing about Tarkin, he also spent three or four years of his life checking for visual quality in videos on cell phones, so he picks up every dead pixel and FPS skip, and quality drop that exists, while I never notice.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I noticed right away about Tarkin, but I was so impressed with how far they've come it didn't bother me. (The eyes were the thing that needed more work.) Didn't know that about Leia; I assumed she was CG as well and thought they did a better job with her.

fade

fade

Can Alan Tudyk not die tragically?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Not that I personally care much about being spoiled, but ehhh, short messages like @fade's show up completely in the "New Posts" page's previews. Which is kind of hard to avoid :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

Tucker and Dale.

Just Me

Just Me

A Knight's Tale.
Death at a Funeral.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Dodgeball

fade

fade

Not that I personally care much about being spoiled, but ehhh, short messages like @fade's show up completely in the "New Posts" page's previews. Which is kind of hard to avoid :p
Darth Vader is Luke's father.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Darth Vader is Luke's father.
Darth Vader is an annoying little kid

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Darth Vader is an annoying little kid
Goddamn it, Poe! We're all trying to forget that.

Far

Far

I gotta agree with the Tarkin looking good enough that it didn't really bother me while Leia was the one I thought they had done a much poorer job on thinking it was CGI as well. Maybe it was how long they held on her while she just stared off smiling but it felt super uncanny valley somehow.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Death at a Funeral.
Ironic.

Jay

Jay

I liked it, didn't love it though.

Solid premise of the movie since it ties in moments between older iconic movies. Some of the new characters were great, some others.... not so much.

I felt Jyn sounded a lot like Ryn... without the Jedi stuff and the fact she was great at combat being someone who was on the run all her young life AND in a mining facility a little off-putting. In fact, I didn't care much for both the lead roles. Furthermore, accents... now I understand Star Wars actors had a flavor of "British" to them but Felicity Jones sounded reaaaly English where I times it was quite noticeable. The male lead guy sounded really latino, especially when he got mad. It was jarring.

Storyline wise it was good but could have used a little less action and more of it to build characters. I felt they cut some scenes for the theatrical release and it showed. I liked the pilot and the 2 temple warriors. Being a big fan of Donnie, I loved him in the role of the warrior-monk. Beyond Vader in a very small pair of scenes he was the only force-like user in the entire movie. (the part where the rebels put a bag over his head and him going "SERIOUSLY? I'm BLIND" was perfectly delivered.

I liked the Droid, a lot and Alan did a great job with him. Definitely comic relief but at the same time not too much. I wish they would have made a bond between him and the male lead. He was a little bit like HK-47 and could have used some more background.

The CGI parts didn't bother me and I find the whole discussion between "AW GOD, CGI THIS, SO NOTICEABLE BLA BLA BLA, SO EXPERT, UNFULLFILLING" in a fraking star wars movie inane. You people have no clue how much CGI there are in movies, even in movies you would expect as much.

Lookinf forward to the next one next December, with a storyline that needs some serious answers.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Does flying into the cola volcano in Wreck-It Ralph count?

--Patrick

phil

phil

I really liked it. For sure the best prequel!

The only things I didn't like that much was the moss eisley cantina bullies cameo and the first time we saw vader. The built up was cool but his costume looked weird. Like his helmet wasn't connected to the suit? I dunno it looked bad.

I think I would have liked to see the pilot a bit more. I'd have maybe liked to see him learning about the death star and deciding to defect with the information, instead of just being told that that's what happened.

I do like that now in A New Hope when Liea tells Vader that they're just on a diplomatic mission he in his mind must be like "what the hell, I seriously just saw your ship leave 30 minutes ago"

Just Me

Just Me

I agree that Bodhi, the pilot, was a bit underused. Especially his recovery from Saw Gerrera's torture alien felt cut short.
In hindsight an opening scrawl telling of the history between Orson Krennic and Galen Erso might have been a good idea, as might have been a training montage flashback of Jyn's time with Saw Gerrera.

But still I am totally hyped up and we will see this a second time after the holidays, possibly the fist weekend in January.

strawman

strawman

I think they want to move away from the opening crawl, and will probably only use it for the two remaining in the trilogy of trilogies.

Yes, star wars fans love it, it sets the movies apart, but objectively speaking it's lazy storytelling.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think they want to move away from the opening crawl, and will probably only use it for the two remaining in the trilogy of trilogies.

Yes, star wars fans love it, it sets the movies apart, but objectively speaking it's lazy storytelling.
But it is the way the movie serials started. And Lucas copies everything.

It is still off putting to not have the 20th Century Fox Fanfare at the beginning of Star Wars movies.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Turns out, there was SUPPOSED to be a crawl, but they decided to cut it at the last minute. Shot of said crawl:

fade

fade

One thing I really liked was that it made the death star frightening. The strike on Jedha was far more terrifying than the destruction of a whole planet.

Frank

Frank

Could've done without Vader's cheesy one-liner though.
Darth Vader was all about the dickish sarcastic one liners in the original trilogy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Frank

Frank

Just got back from seeing it. I really dug it. It had some silly shit that could've been avoided but it was super exciting and fun. That last act was baller as fuck.

At least this Stars War had a space battle in it.

BUT HOLY SHIT, we get it, it's a Star Wars movie. This one had way too many memberberries in it. Ball face and angry guy. Yup. Blue milk? Yup. MEMBER WHEN THAT GUY SAID HE WAS STARTING HIS ATTACK RUN? Yup. ETC. ETC. ETC..

phil

phil

plus you're telling me that the whole city gets destroyed but those two assholes escaped to go to a random cantina on a different desert planet to get drunk and yell at the guy who is gonna blow up the big super weapon that destroyed the place they were just at like, two days ago.

Frank

Frank

Reading about the extensive reshoots (it's almost impossible to find any shots from the first trailer in the theatrical movie), I wanna take a shot in the dark and say a SHIT TON of those MEMBER THEEEEESE bits from Rogue One were added in after the fact. They're all so fucking jarring and out of place.[DOUBLEPOST=1482309606,1482309476][/DOUBLEPOST]It makes the beginning of A New Hope kind of silly too.

"Sir, we're on a diplomatic mission from Alderaan!"

"I fucking literally just watched you escape with the Death Star plans."

Terrik

Terrik

Reading about the extensive reshoots (it's almost impossible to find any shots from the first trailer in the theatrical movie), I wanna take a shot in the dark and say a SHIT TON of those MEMBER THEEEEESE bits from Rogue One were added in after the fact. They're all so fucking jarring and out of place.[DOUBLEPOST=1482309606,1482309476][/DOUBLEPOST]It makes the beginning of A New Hope kind of silly too.

I dunno if it makes it silly. A New Hope literally starts with a Star Destroyer running the ship down. There was no ambiguity whether or not the ship was on a "diplomatic mission". They blasted through the doors, cut everyone down, and Vader practically said 'Cut the shit, you know where I'm here". I think Leia simply threw out an explanation because, what else was she going to do?

Null

Null

That bit with the Hammerhead from KOTOR though. I squee'd.

Null

Null

Also, in reference to "stormtroopers can't hit anything", it's worth remembering that in Korea and Vietnam, the ratio of rounds of ammunition expended to confirmed hits for American soldiers was 250:1. Granted, that's using a lot more automatic weaponry than we see in the SW universe, and a doctrine of using suppressing fire and hosing an area rather than making called shots. In Rogue One, the stormies aren't especially poor shots, considering half the time they're shooting to keep the other side's heads down, rather than to kill. The Death Troopers, however, have significantly better armor and when they arrive on scene, people are going down quick. In short, if you're not a Legendary character, troopers are really fucking bad news.

If Darth Vader shows up, you're completely fucked.

Making the baddies competent and dangerous really ups the stakes of the entire conflict, which was missing in the Prequels.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also, in reference to "stormtroopers can't hit anything", it's worth remembering that in Korea and Vietnam, the ratio of rounds of ammunition expended to confirmed hits for American soldiers was 250:1. Granted, that's using a lot more automatic weaponry than we see in the SW universe, and a doctrine of using suppressing fire and hosing an area rather than making called shots. In Rogue One, the stormies aren't especially poor shots, considering half the time they're shooting to keep the other side's heads down, rather than to kill. The Death Troopers, however, have significantly better armor and when they arrive on scene, people are going down quick. In short, if you're not a Legendary character, troopers are really fucking bad news.

If Darth Vader shows up, you're completely fucked.

Making the baddies competent and dangerous really ups the stakes of the entire conflict, which was missing in the Prequels.
I think it's been well established again by this point that Stormtroopers are only bad shots when they're under specific orders to let the good guys escape.

Null

Null

I think it's been well established again by this point that Stormtroopers are only bad shots when they're under specific orders to let the good guys escape.
That doesn't cover the Emperor's Legion on Endor's Forest Moon, though that may have been a legion chosen for prestige, not warfighting ability.

But otherwise, yeah. Stormies were plenty dangerous on Hoth and Bespin.

Telephius

Telephius

Darth Vader was all about the dickish sarcastic one liners in the original trilogy.
Agreed. Though I was little off put by the cover girl head fling he did when delivering his one liner. Would have been better if he had only moved his head a tiny but noticeable amount

Dave

Dave

Just got back so I can finally join this thread.

I liked it but didn't love it. I know that's been said, but it's how I feel. I didn't really notice the CGI except in a couple of parts like when Jyn was running to realign the dish. Very CGI. And there were a couple of plot holes, like when Jyn's dad was being talked to and she climbed the big fucking ladder to get to him, yet the other characters got there very easily from a greater distance.

But it was a good enough movie that I'l probably see it again at some point.

phil

phil

I just loved how big everything felt. The star destroyers ramming into each other, or the death star looming over the horizon and especially the ATAT coming over the trees. It felt scary and hopeless and overwhelming like fighting the empire, especially in that situation would feel. The swarm of tie fighters coming from the shield gate thing was great.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Saw and I enjoyed it a lot. Was it perfect, no, but it was damn enjoyable. My 9 year old son loved it.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I saw it for a second time yesterday, and on rewatch it really dragged up until the whole sequence on Scarif. Might just be because I saw it twice so close together.

Also, I really hate how Forest Whittaker dies. He was way more compelling on my rewatch. I really felt bad for him when he asks Jyn if she was sent to kill him. Just seems stupid to have him decide "ok, I'm just gonna die now."

Still good, and maybe when I give it more time I can enjoy it more, but I had a similar gap for the second time I saw The Force Awakens, and that didn't have this issue.

strawman

strawman

I saw it for a second time yesterday, and on rewatch it really dragged up until the whole sequence on Scarif. Might just be because I saw it twice so close together.

Also, I really hate how Forest Whittaker dies. He was way more compelling on my rewatch. I really felt bad for him when he asks Jyn if she was sent to kill him. Just seems stupid to have him decide "ok, I'm just gonna die now."

Still good, and maybe when I give it more time I can enjoy it more, but I had a similar gap for the second time I saw The Force Awakens, and that didn't have this issue.
Yeah, they built him up to be this super angry, difficult to find resistance leader who would throw everything and everyone under the bus if it meant getting closer to his goal, and suddenly he's tired and old and decides to give up?

They could have done a little more to convey the, "if I die then she will take up the cause" angle which is what I think the movie intended, but it played very weakly.

There was a bit of "failed parent" there as well, and perhaps he decided that he needed to pay for his misdeeds, but if they really wanted to play that song they would have had him do something critical to allow her escape.

Alternately the Death Star was built and perhaps the magnitude of his failure to stop the empire left him feeling that the fight was over.

Whatever they intended to convey was poorly done.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

One thing I noticed was they didn't have cartoonish, kid-friendly characters that Lucas would have shoehorned in for the obvious Christmas merchandise opportunities. I didn't see anyone like BB-8, Jar Jar, or the Ewoks. This is a nice change.

SPOILER:

It also just occurred to me that the crying child Jyn rescued in that ambush probably died when the city was destroyed.

Bubble181

Bubble181

One thing I noticed was they didn't have cartoonish, kid-friendly characters that Lucas would have shoehorned in for the obvious Christmas merchandise opportunities. I didn't see anyone like BB-8, Jar Jar, or the Ewoks. This is a nice change.
K2 is a little bit cartoonish with his long arms, and marketable, but indeed, by far not as bad as some of the others have been.

What annoyed me most was that, even *more* than TFA, this movie just doesn't care about distance and speed. The Rebel Base can intercept a message that Rogue is attacking Scariff, organize an attack, and intervene, all in, what, 15 minutes? You can travel from "a remote, isolated base" on Eadu to an important Core planet in hours? Heck, when they leave to assault Rogue One, we see them sitting in the ship troopship-style, maybe two dozen people in a small cargo compartment. Yes, you can launch a ship across the Channel like that, troops can sit for a few hours. You can fly out a squadron behind enemy lines to drop them like that. Nice visual reference and all, but a planet-to-planet trip should take hours - see: the Death Star is coming into view slowly, we've got time to evacuate half the base and launch an offensive to take it down - and a system-to-system trip is days. Dagobah is specified as being fairly unknown but pretty close-by - and even so it takes days to get there. Scariff, Eadu, Jeddah - they're all mere hours, if not minutes, apart.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I think my only complaint was, like Frank said, the plethora of HEY LOOK IT'S A REFERENCE moments. Ponda Baba/Evazan, 3PO and R2, the watchman in the tiny crow's nest shot on Yavin IV, Bail Organa's offhand mention of an Antilles as he left the scene at one point, etc.

Almost every single one of those moments took me out of the movie for a moment, instead of making me feel more connected to it.

Outside of that, though, I really loved the movie and look forward to getting another viewing in soon.

Piotyr

Piotyr

So I saw it again with my brother last night, and holy shit that last line of the movie with Leia suddenly hits a different note and I got all misty eyed and it's forever going to feel like that now.

@Li3n

@Li3n

It makes the beginning of A New Hope kind of silly too.

Way worse is that the opening crawl says the Rebel Alliance just scored it's first victory... and i for one would not call losing your flagship and like half the fleet "a victory".

IMO what they should have done is have the fleet actually escape before Vader gets there, but get chased by the imperial fleet so they can't actually stop to give the rebel leaders the plans, but Leia's ship was waiting for them at their 1st jump stop and they transfer the plans to her so she can sneak them to the council.

Except that Vader gets a feeling about it and has the fleet keep following the main rebel force while he goes off to Tatooine where he spots Leia...

And maybe the flagship gets engine trouble along the way and gets destroyed way after the Rebel victory when it can't jump with he rest of the fleet, so there's no double of the plans.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Way worse is that the opening crawl says the Rebel Alliance just scored it's first victory... and i for one would not call losing your flagship and like half the fleet "a victory".

IMO what they should have done is have the fleet actually escape before Vader gets there, but get chased by the imperial fleet so they can't actually stop to give the rebel leaders the plans, but Leia's ship was waiting for them at their 1st jump stop and they transfer the plans to her so she can sneak them to the council.

Except that Vader gets a feeling about it and has the fleet keep following the main rebel force while he goes off to Tatooine where he spots Leia...

And maybe the flagship gets engine trouble along the way and gets destroyed way after the Rebel victory when it can't jump with he rest of the fleet, so there's no double of the plans.
A pyrrhic victory is still a victory.

@Li3n

@Li3n

A pyrrhic victory is still a victory.
Yes, a Pyrrhic victory is a victory... you know, where you drive the enemy off and actually beat him, but you lose enough men or resources that you might not recover.

This wasn't a victory in battle, it was a successful heist.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

The Rebels were able to inflict much higher casualties on the Imperials, and on one of the Empire's home planets no less. To make things worse, the Imperials wiped out one of their own garrisons with that low-yield Death Star blast. The blow to morale and prestige probably shook the Imperial Navy to its core.

Null

Null

The Empire couldn't reveal that their own weapon wiped out their garrison and the archive of all their special project's plans. Since the end result was the Rebellion gaining schematics that showed them an exploitable weakness that allowed them to destroy the superweapon, and exposed the Empire as mundicidal tyrants in the process, it was also a strategic victory. They lost a major capital ship and some smaller ships and transports, as well as a fighter squadron and maybe a company of infantry, while the Empire lost 2 Star Destroyers, a space station, all the spacecraft in transit, and a major installation. Whether or not it was a tactical victory or not, it cost the Imperials dearly and proved that the Rebellion *could* fight the Empire in the field without being rolled over.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Roger roger.

@Li3n

@Li3n

The Rebels were able to inflict much higher casualties on the Imperials,
Maybe if we're talking infantry... but they got 2 star Destroyers and a shield gate generator. Vader's ship took out more then that when jumping in.

And while we're at it, why did no rebel capital ship go for the gate generator?

Meh, i guess between B5 and BSG, i'm a bit spoilt when it comes to space battles.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Just got back. I thought it was excellent. Only the cameos bugged me, but not so much as to ruin any scene; I'm just glad they were brief. Radar dish guy felt so unnecessary because it's not even a marketable character, so it was just there to poke at fans who've watched the first movie too many times.

But I really enjoyed the movie overall. That BIG feeling was all over this, where mechs and ships just had this enormous presence in places, even with simple stuff like takeoff and landings. It's a shame Edwards is stepping away from big budget movies; I'm glad we have a Star Wars movie that captures this sense. It's a very different movie from the adventurous main Star Wars films and it's cool that we'll be getting these side movies that can get into other kinds of Star Wars material.

I figured everyone on the planet and around the planet was going to die, since it's only Leia's ship with the data at the start of the original movie. Kinda makes Luke's whining more annoying :p. He stumbles into all this, while Leia knows what the rebels went through and sacrificed to make a shot at the Death Star possible. Doesn't detract from the other movies. It adds to them in a satisfying way, like a prequel is supposed to do.

Zappit

Zappit

Saw it today, and I really enjoyed it. The pacing was good, and I thought the characters were pretty well fleshed out. The cameos got to be a bit much, though. Couple things...

Tarkin's "resurrection" did feel a bit odd. You could see the CGI in some shots.

Vader was fucking VADER in that corridor battle. He was finally portrayed as the unstoppable Force-monster he was always reputed to be. Seriously, have any of you read the new Marvel Vader series? It's terrific, and that was the Vader in this movie.

The Jedi temple guards have minor Force abilities? Nice touch.

The Scariff battle finally felt like a war. Sure, the other movies had some short battle sequences. This was brutal.

No forced romance? Thank you! There was no romantic chemistry between the leads, and having it build to that moment where they accept their deaths? That was the best way to do that.

I thought Jyn was a stronger lead than the new Episode 7 main cast, and probably the best new character from the new movies. She was trained by a dangerous, increasingly-paranoid fanatic rebel, abandoned the cause because of what it cost her, and basically threw herself back in for revenge. She didn't suddenly develop Force powers, had no Jedi ties, and was a competent soldier. There was an established history.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

:(

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

You know what I just realized? There was no Wilhelm Scream in Rogue One. I'll have to deduct points for that.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You know what I just realized? There was no Wilhelm Scream in Rogue One. I'll have to deduct points for that.
I'm pretty sure there was. I'm almost certain I heard a stormtrooper do it.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Yeah you're right. Fast forward to 2:20.

All is right with the world.

Dave

Dave

I fucking HATE the Wilhelm scream. HATE it. Takes me out of the movie every fucking time.

And I didn't notice it in Rogue One, either, so I guess they hid it well.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Heh, conversely, I almost never catch it, but this time I noticed it.

Dave

Dave

And most of these so-called "easter eggs" are stupidly obvious and are not easter eggs at all.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I must be one of the few people that loves the Wilhelm scream. Every time I hear it in a movie, I always give a little, quiet cheer.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I must be one of the few people that loves the Wilhelm scream. Every time I hear it in a movie, I always give a little, quiet cheer.
Once it was pointed out to me, I cannot unhear it. It feels like there was a time where it was a little secret, but then it got over-used, and now it feels a bit distracting when I hear it. There other foley sounds that get way overused too. Metal doors closing almost all use the same sound. I think I have misophonia. Stupid shit like that seems to get my attention.

strawman

strawman

I look for the wilhelm and always am glad to see it.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

https://priceonomics.com/the-wilhelm-scream-cinemas-most-overused-sound/

The Wilhelm Scream was first used in a bunch of 1950s Westerns B-movies. It largely faded away, seeing occasional use, until Star Wars and Indiana Jones brought it back. It became increasingly frequent and seemed to peak in the mid-'00s.

I consider the Wilhelm Scream to be a little treat, especially if it's in a sillier film.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

https://priceonomics.com/the-wilhelm-scream-cinemas-most-overused-sound/

The Wilhelm Scream was first used in a bunch of 1950s Westerns B-movies. It largely faded away, seeing occasional use, until Star Wars and Indiana Jones brought it back. It became increasingly frequent and seemed to peak in the mid-'00s.

I consider the Wilhelm Scream to be a little treat, especially if it's in a sillier film.
The cry of the Red Tail Hawk is used far more than Wilhelm.

It especially bothers me when they show another bird making that cry... especially Bald Eagles.

Emrys

Emrys

I think Wilhelm screams should be replaced with Red Tail Hawk screams.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And most of these so-called "easter eggs" are stupidly obvious and are not easter eggs at all.
TIL you overestimate the ability of the general public to pick up on stuff.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

TIL you overestimate the ability of the general public to pick up on stuff.

--Patrick
Most of that was shoved in your face and made obvious. Like the two guys you later see in the cantina. It's like they were just thrown in there and it completely brought the moment to a screeching halt. It was like the movie wanted to scream at you: "See?!? It's a callback! GET IT?!?"

Same with the guy in the tower with the binoculars. They did that not once but twice in Rogue One. Just in case you missed it the first time.

Frank

Frank

Most of that was shoved in your face and made obvious. Like the two guys you later see in the cantina. It's like they were just thrown in there and it completely brought the moment to a screeching halt. It was like the movie wanted to scream at you: "See?!? It's a callback! GET IT?!?"

Same with the guy in the tower with the binoculars. They did that not once but twice in Rogue One. Just in case you missed it the first time.
The two wanted dudes, R2-D2 and C3PO, the tower guys, the repeated lines from A New Hope, etc. etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1485197232,1485197180][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think Wilhelm screams should be replaced with Red Tail Hawk screams.
I am behind this 2000%

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

It especially bothers me when they show another bird making that cry... especially Bald Eagles.
Have you heard a Bald Eagle's cry? It sounds wimpy.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Yes, that is why it ticks me off that the hawk has to Marni Nixon for the eagle.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Have you heard a Bald Eagle's cry? It sounds wimpy.

It's so...eerie.

--Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

Chopper and Calling General Syndulla was a nice one...

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

It's so...eerie.

--Patrick
That is puntastic.