[Movies] Rogue One: The Thickening (SPOILER THREAD!)

Ok, so this is the Rogue One spoiler thread. I suspect there's going to be lots of chatter about it, and rather than making people try to avoid spoiler marked posts in other threads we should just have open spoiler discussions here and make them avoid a whole thread.

So, no need to mark spoilers. This first post is your last warning if you are trying to avoid spoilers. If you want to mark them, go ahead, but ain't no one here but what want to hear them already.

Fantastic movie, all around - now discuss!

Fantastic movie, all around.

It felt weird going in without fanfare and scroll text, but that was over quick. The movie was differnet than I expected from the trailer, at least for a while before things got rolling. More or less since Jyn went for her father on Eadu that proper feeling came up and goosebumpf rarely stopped.
It was a great movie up to that point, getting to know all the characters, at least as much as the scope of one movie allowed. But afterwards, once Rogue One had taken off it really was one emotional rollercoaster. Definitely not a 'Disney' movie any more, as many suspected before. Probably also thanks to reshoots.
That battle, land and space, really took me in and made me gasp a lot.
That whole movie, the whole setting and story was what I grew up with RP'ing good ol' WEG's D6 pen & paper RPG.

I had no trouble with Tarkin's resurection, somehow uncanny valley isn't a place I ever find weird. I was more awed than anything else.

More thoughts and impressions when I'm back with more time.

"Are you kidding me? I'm blind!"

I had no trouble with Tarkin's resurection, somehow uncanny valley isn't a place I ever find weird. I was more awed than anything else.
I had absolutely no problem with it. Watched it in 3D, so that could have changed my perception, I'll certainly be paying attention later, but it wasn't a wooden face, nor were the teeth/lips sliding around like the dreadful kfc cgi character years ago, and the skin, eyes, etc were fine. Was pleasantly surprised that they did close ups of him - very bold, and it worked well.

Was surprised to see that they had an actor play leia, but not him, particularly since they could have used prosthetics to pull it off if they wanted.

I think we've reached a real tipping point for human CGI, and I hope they make a siggraph presentation about it and make that public.[DOUBLEPOST=1481998475,1481998217][/DOUBLEPOST]
That Darth Vader dark corridor scene at the end, though. :aaah:
Yes! Between that and the offhand comment earlier (be sure you don't choke on your ambition) wonderfully sealed the deal on Vader.

I'm still not sure how I feel about everyone in our main team having a moment to reflect and accept their imminent death. It's a war, and people die suddenly, sometimes stupidly and unluckily, but I don't think that happened to any of them.

I'm still not sure how I feel about everyone in our main team having a moment to reflect and accept their imminent death. It's a war, and people die suddenly, sometimes stupidly and unluckily, but I don't think that happened to any of them.
That turncoat Imperial pilot guy didn't get much time to reflect before that grenade went off next to him.

I thought it was okay that every main member got a proper scene. There's only so much time in an ensemble movie to deal with each character and as such I only found it fair that nobody got left behind in that regard. Probably also saved the internet from a lot of whining.

I think too many movies/stories leave out this aspect of war, and while it's not pleasant to contemplate I think it would have been a disservice to the story to hide the fact that many in war have a moment where they know "this is it. I'm going to die here" and come to terms with that. The deus ex machina doesn't happen all the time, and here's a "many bothan died to bring us this information" in our face.

I'm glad they didn't shoehorn a romance in there.

I thought the idea of vader continuing to live on the planet where he fell was brilliant. It shows that he never moved on, he's still stuck in the same place mentally and emotionally.

Turns out Leia wasn't cgi, they got a look-alike, but the credits still thank carrie fisher, so I'm curious to know if she got paid for this.

If it were cgi I could see payment to use a likeness, but actors replace characters all the time and old actors don't get paid for characters newly played by different actors. However if peter cushing were alive would they owe him royalties for a cgi lookalike? Because they used actual footage of him in previous films to create the cgi version, arguably it isn't merely a likeness but it was him, or at least a version of him skinned over a cgi framework.

Thus I'm guessing they couldn't do leia as cgi without paying her.

Fascinating to think about, anyway.

Wait, Leia wasn't CGI?

When he first showed up, I remember thinking that its amazing how much the lookalike looked like Tarkin, and I thought the Leia looked weird and fake. Had no idea he was CGI until I went on the internet.

I know that they worked out some kind of deal with his estate for this film, so I'm guessing they are legally required to. There was the issue with Back to the Future 2 and Crispin Glover that I think made it so an actor's likeness can't be reused like that.

@GasBandit the second hit from the death star was aimed specifically at the archive tower, and it hit the dish on top of it, but presumably due to the location of the Death Star it would have hit at an angle, so I don't have an issue with that part.

GasBandit

Staff member
@GasBandit the second hit from the death star was aimed specifically at the archive tower, and it hit the dish on top of it, but presumably due to the location of the Death Star it would have hit at an angle, so I don't have an issue with that part.
That makes no sense, Tarkin said to destroy the base. Even the Dreadnoks know that to destroy a tower, you aim at the bottom and the rest comes tumbling down.

(skip to 1:20)
[DOUBLEPOST=1482024415,1482024030][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wait, Leia wasn't CGI?
Hah, this to me as well... I thought Tarkin was more convicing CGI than Leia :rofl:

fade

Staff member
Hmm guess I'm not as forgiving of CGI as you guys. Tarkin bugged me. He felt rubber faced and it seemed like they overdid the facial tics to sell it. But the movie was great. It didn't detract from the original, rather it added to it.

Could've done without Vader's cheesy one-liner though.[DOUBLEPOST=1482026154,1482026069][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh the weirdest thing was that there were only maybe 25 other people in the theater.

Hmm guess I'm not as forgiving of CGI as you guys. Tarkin bugged me. He felt rubber faced and it seemed like they overdid the facial tics to sell it. But the movie was great. It didn't detract from the original, rather it added to it.

Could've done without Vader's cheesy one-liner though.[DOUBLEPOST=1482026154,1482026069][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh the weirdest thing was that there were only maybe 25 other people in the theater.
My husband said the same thing about Tarkin, he also spent three or four years of his life checking for visual quality in videos on cell phones, so he picks up every dead pixel and FPS skip, and quality drop that exists, while I never notice.

I noticed right away about Tarkin, but I was so impressed with how far they've come it didn't bother me. (The eyes were the thing that needed more work.) Didn't know that about Leia; I assumed she was CG as well and thought they did a better job with her.

Not that I personally care much about being spoiled, but ehhh, short messages like @fade's show up completely in the "New Posts" page's previews. Which is kind of hard to avoid :p

I gotta agree with the Tarkin looking good enough that it didn't really bother me while Leia was the one I thought they had done a much poorer job on thinking it was CGI as well. Maybe it was how long they held on her while she just stared off smiling but it felt super uncanny valley somehow.

I liked it, didn't love it though.

Solid premise of the movie since it ties in moments between older iconic movies. Some of the new characters were great, some others.... not so much.

I felt Jyn sounded a lot like Ryn... without the Jedi stuff and the fact she was great at combat being someone who was on the run all her young life AND in a mining facility a little off-putting. In fact, I didn't care much for both the lead roles. Furthermore, accents... now I understand Star Wars actors had a flavor of "British" to them but Felicity Jones sounded reaaaly English where I times it was quite noticeable. The male lead guy sounded really latino, especially when he got mad. It was jarring.

Storyline wise it was good but could have used a little less action and more of it to build characters. I felt they cut some scenes for the theatrical release and it showed. I liked the pilot and the 2 temple warriors. Being a big fan of Donnie, I loved him in the role of the warrior-monk. Beyond Vader in a very small pair of scenes he was the only force-like user in the entire movie. (the part where the rebels put a bag over his head and him going "SERIOUSLY? I'm BLIND" was perfectly delivered.

I liked the Droid, a lot and Alan did a great job with him. Definitely comic relief but at the same time not too much. I wish they would have made a bond between him and the male lead. He was a little bit like HK-47 and could have used some more background.

The CGI parts didn't bother me and I find the whole discussion between "AW GOD, CGI THIS, SO NOTICEABLE BLA BLA BLA, SO EXPERT, UNFULLFILLING" in a fraking star wars movie inane. You people have no clue how much CGI there are in movies, even in movies you would expect as much.

Lookinf forward to the next one next December, with a storyline that needs some serious answers.

I really liked it. For sure the best prequel!

The only things I didn't like that much was the moss eisley cantina bullies cameo and the first time we saw vader. The built up was cool but his costume looked weird. Like his helmet wasn't connected to the suit? I dunno it looked bad.

I think I would have liked to see the pilot a bit more. I'd have maybe liked to see him learning about the death star and deciding to defect with the information, instead of just being told that that's what happened.

I do like that now in A New Hope when Liea tells Vader that they're just on a diplomatic mission he in his mind must be like "what the hell, I seriously just saw your ship leave 30 minutes ago"

I agree that Bodhi, the pilot, was a bit underused. Especially his recovery from Saw Gerrera's torture alien felt cut short.
In hindsight an opening scrawl telling of the history between Orson Krennic and Galen Erso might have been a good idea, as might have been a training montage flashback of Jyn's time with Saw Gerrera.

But still I am totally hyped up and we will see this a second time after the holidays, possibly the fist weekend in January.

I think they want to move away from the opening crawl, and will probably only use it for the two remaining in the trilogy of trilogies.

Yes, star wars fans love it, it sets the movies apart, but objectively speaking it's lazy storytelling.

I think they want to move away from the opening crawl, and will probably only use it for the two remaining in the trilogy of trilogies.

Yes, star wars fans love it, it sets the movies apart, but objectively speaking it's lazy storytelling.
But it is the way the movie serials started. And Lucas copies everything.

It is still off putting to not have the 20th Century Fox Fanfare at the beginning of Star Wars movies.