[Brazelton] Robin Williams Dead at 63

This fucking sucks. I've been in the middle of watching "The Crazy Ones" 1st and only season almost solely because of him even though it's not a great show.

Also, this is kind of dark humor, but my ~filez/torrenting~ forum had all Robin Williams movies for the entire first page, and it made me smile. Also it seems like every half-generation had a different favorite Robin Williams character/role/memory.

The news left me feeling rather stunned when I heard it on the radio this afternoon.

The guy has been in my awareness since my earliest memories as a child and has been such a huge source of entertainment and happiness and the idea that he is gone is horrible to say the least.

What sucky news to wake up to! Unmade my day five minutes after the alarm chimed in. :(

Dear Mr Williams, for all the joy and good memories you leave me with, I wish for you to find a quiet place now and rest in peace, all demons gone that haunted you.

*gets on the table*
Oh captain, my captain!

fade

Staff member
There is some evidence linking open heart surgery to depression related body chemistry that has come to the forefront out of all this.

fade

Staff member
Wow, maddox still exists? I remember when I thought he was awesome. Until his posts became more of the same droning over and over.

The generations who've grown up thinking trolling is normal human interaction and all other people really are just letters on a screen are growing up. the amount of sociopaths and psychopaths isn't rising ,the amount of people who like to dabble there is.

Seriously, making fun of a nip slip or bad hair? Sure. And I'm sure i'll joke about Robin Williams' death at some point as well - I think anything and everything should be allowed to be made fun of. That doesn't mean you have to be mean-spirited, nor that you should laugh with anything, anytime, anywhere. If my dad committed suicide and someone posted a photoshopped picture of him hanging himself, I'd have him up in court. Ah yes, Belgian law :p

doomdragon6

Staff member
I've always wondered, if I had some power to just make everyone who would register as a terrible human being to me disappear, how many people on this planet would be left.

I would think it would be of more value to keep the account open, and go through the trollish responses to add them to some sort of list.
It's a shame she chose the other route, but it's her account to deal with as she likes. Personally I'd prefer those trollish moments be read-only'd on the Internet to haunt the trolls' job searches and the like.

--Patrick

People were trolling her twitter account saying terrible things and photoshopping pictures of her dad with a belt tied around his neck, etc.
I saw this on Twitter and decided to back off social media for a while because I got murderous and thought perhaps backing out of real life for a while might be a good idea.

(So I came here instead.)

Dave

Staff member
I guess I don't understand the need for some people to do stuff like that. Humanity at its worst.

Job security.

And while it's a chilling commentary on the sad state of socio-psychological affairs in today's world, there's only so far she could take it.... I rather like Pat's "delayed karma" notion... I find it deeply gratifying...

I guess I don't understand the need for some people to do stuff like that. Humanity at its worst.
Some people spent too many points in schadenfreude, I guess.
I'll admit to taking some enjoyment from the suffering of others, but for the most part, my joy comes from it being those people who actually deserve the pain they are experiencing, and not merely that they are having pain inflicted upon them.
I derive no pleasure from the suffering of the innocent or undeserving.

--Patrick

I saw this online today

Thank you. "Tragedy" is not as outwardly anguished as I was looking for, but since my art skills are way underdeveloped, I'll take it.

This entire incident has made me wonder if Robin was just sick and tired of all the attention Robin was getting. That is, when you spend that much time creating that outer persona, and everyone in the world falls in love with that persona and tells you how wonderful it is and how much more they love that persona than they love the "real" you, I can see why a person would get depressed.

I mean, think about it. You build this wall to keep yourself from being hurt by other people, and all you do is create a tourist industry of people who want to come see the wall, have their picture(s) taken with the wall, have entire television programs/movies built to showcase the wall to as many people as possible, and nobody bothers to come all the way in to see you, and you get reeeeally lonely, really fast. You become sort of like the Siamese twin of that persona, and everywhere it goes, you get dragged along whether you want to go or not, and everyone ignores you because they just want to interact/hang with the persona, not you. And when you try to speak up a little and maybe join in, on your own terms, people are all, "Hey! What happened to the other guy? We want him back! He was a lotta fun!" This is what you really hear whenever someone says to you, "Hey...do something funny!" And maybe you start to resent that other guy a little bit, or maybe a whole lot, but you can't get rid of him, because doing so would be...well, it would be suicide, is what it would be.

I'm sorry I didn't know more about the man inside, and I'm not sure that I would have ever been allowed to find out, even if I had ever had the opportunity, but the idea of just how lonely someone like that must get when they're finally alone, and no longer have to be "on" is just...crushing to me.

--Patrick