Rob King in Nepal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so I've dilly-dallied about this for long enough. I've been thinking about this, doing the math, making tentative plans, throwing it all out, and generally going nuts for about a month and a half now. I've developed the habit recently of making plans in secret, so I am more easily able to abandon them if things go south. It's much easier to save face if nobody knows what you were planning.

Today it ends. I've been putting off making some sort of post, or public request for help for a few weeks. I've been wanting the conditions to be just right, but I realize now that they'll never be perfect enough, so I'm just going to come out with it.

I just updated my main page, and added a post about my intention to travel to Nepal in November of this year, to volunteer teaching English for four months.

One of the biggest obstacles here is money. I've been living paycheck to paycheck for over a year now, and it seems like every time I save some money, it goes into something silly like dental work or having my perpetually-broken glasses repaired. Nonetheless, I've managed to save some money in recent weeks and months, and have budgeted in such a way that I should be able to put away at least $2000 of the $5000 required to do this.

This is where I solicit help. I hate asking for money, but this literally will not happen if I don't. I have friends and family members in my life who will likely want to contribute, but I'm not in a position to turn down any potential sources of help. Which is why I'm awkwardly making this post here.

Whatever comes of it, I also want to thank you guys. When I mentioned this in the win thread a while back, people were supportive. Even if not a dollar comes from posting this here, I want to thank everyone here for being a supportive and wacky internet family, and I hope you will keep me in your thoughts and/or prayers as I continue toward, and eventually in the Kathmandu Valley.

~Joshua (Kenmore) Thompson
A.K.A. "Rob King"

Cajungal

Staff member
Rob King is going to Nepal

Don't know if I'll be able to help you out financially, Rob, but I hope that you can do this. I was so happy to hear about this opportunity for you. :) It would be a chapter of your life that you'd never forget.

Congrats on making the commitment :-D

I'll see what I can do after the paycheck hits home :)

Dave

Staff member

What's your PayPal?

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

You need to fix the PayPal on your site. Clicking it gives:

Error Detected

We were unable to decrypt the certificate id.

We were unable to decrypt the certificate id.

I wish I could send you more than well wishes and good luck, Rob. I hope it works out and you enjoy it!

Thanks, guys.

I'm going to talk to my web-savvy friend about fixing the paypal thing this afternoon. This is what happens when I try to do these things on my own. :/

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Dave, did you try the one on the homepage, or the one at the bottom of this blog post? I think the one on the post works, so I'm just going to take the homepage one down.

Dave

Staff member

That one is a link to PayPal, but not a link to PayPal to donate to you. So when you click it you go directly to PayPal.com but that's it.

Alright, the buttons should probably work now. I tried a few things, and I think I solved the problem.

Dave

Staff member

I added buttons here in two places - the front page and on the sidebar on the main Forum list page.

Hope this gets you something.

Dave

Staff member

This is a bump. Rob is about $400 away from his goal with the deadline fast approaching! If you can help out, please please PLEASE do so!

Yeah, I figured it would be cleaner and more appreciated if I posted here, rather than starting a new thread.

I just wanted to say that two weeks ago I finally made it to Nepal. The last few months have been pretty nuts with work and fund-raising in order to make it happen, so I haven't spent so much time around here. So in case anybody was wondering if I dropped off the face of the planet ... well, I guess I sort of did. But then I landed safely on the other side so it's all dandy.

I've been posting to my blog on KenmoreThompson.com, and I've uploaded two Nepali-shot-and-edited videos on my YouTube channel at youtube.com/kenmoret, so if you'd like to keep track of everything (and see where your dollars went, those of who contributed when I appealed) check those out.

I'm not sure how much I'll be able to stick with the forum in the coming months, but I'll try and keep in contact. And as part of an ongoing project while I'm here in Nepal, if you have any questions about Nepal, obscure or otherwise, comment on my blog or YouTube, or tweet me, or PM me here, and I'll try and find the answer for both you and me! I've been saying for a while that I came here to learn as much as anything else, and I'm simply not smart enough to ask all of the good questions.

Thanks again to those who supported me both financially and by encouraging me to go for this. It's been an adventure already, and I've barely begun the four months that I'll be living here.

Which is to say:
brb. wandurin earf n havin advenshurs liek that guy frum kun fo.

Status
Not open for further replies.