Rick Perry Indicted for abuse of power

GasBandit

Staff member
Aw man, I thought I had the scoop when I put it in my political thread. I shoulda checked "new posts" first.

Also, you should have titled the thread "Rick Perry will never satisfy his lust for abuse of power."

This will probably end up fruitless but at least it will keep him busy and out of the national circus for a while. Man, the whole political season just makes me sad.

He could be guilty as hell AFAIK, but I'll betcha there will be a very vocal faction of the GOP that will defend him in the name of opposition for opposition's sake. Especially since the other guy at the center of the whole mess is not only a Democrat, but was the guy who prosecuted Tom DeLay.

Interesting that this story has GB's juices flowing. You're not a fan, I take it?

GasBandit

Staff member
He could be guilty as hell AFAIK, but I'll betcha there will be a very vocal faction of the GOP that will defend him in the name of opposition for opposition's sake. Especially since the other guy at the center of the whole mess is not only a Democrat, but was the guy who prosecuted Tom DeLay.

Interesting that this story has GB's juices flowing. You're not a fan, I take it?
As I've often said, pretty much nobody here is, regardless of political affiliation. He's a big spender, a crony capitalist, and the worst kind of "country club" Republican. It's often heard for someone to say "I wish we could get rid of Rick Perry, if only there was a way to do that that didn't involve replacing him with a Democrat."

And there is, people are just to stupid to vote for a different Republican during the primaries. Debra Medina would have been perfect a few years back imo

GasBandit

Staff member
And there is, people are just to stupid to vote for a different Republican during the primaries. Debra Medina would have been perfect a few years back imo
It's incredibly difficult to unseat an incumbent, even moreso in the primary.[DOUBLEPOST=1408211026,1408210991][/DOUBLEPOST]
For all the anger you lob at him, it feels like you also have him on ignore sometimes.
As long as we're not talking about guns or health care, we're actually usually on the same page.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hrm, the more I read about this, the less I think the prosecutor has a case, unfortunately. Basically it boils down to Perry saying "I have no confidence in Lehmberg (the DA who got busted driving at triple the limit for BAC), so if she's going to be in charge of the Public Integrity Unit, I'm vetoing its funding." Lehmberg stayed, so funding got vetoed. I expect that will make for a tough defense. Unless they can find a Jury who just hates Perry so very very much that they don't actually care about what's in the job description of "Governor" (hint, it's sign or veto bills). Which might not be so difficult to do in Travis County, so who knows.

Hrm, the more I read about this, the less I think the prosecutor has a case, unfortunately. Basically it boils down to Perry saying "I have no confidence in Lehmberg (the DA who got busted driving at triple the limit for BAC), so if she's going to be in charge of the Public Integrity Unit, I'm vetoing its funding." Lehmberg stayed, so funding got vetoed. I expect that will make for a tough defense. Unless they can find a Jury who just hates Perry so very very much that they don't actually care about what's in the job description of "Governor" (hint, it's sign or veto bills). Which might not be so difficult to do in Travis County, so who knows.
The case is that he's using his veto powers to deny funding because lehmberg is in an office that she was voted into by the people all because he doesn't think she should be there

GasBandit

Staff member
The case is that he's using his veto powers to deny funding because lehmberg is in an office that she was voted into by the people all because he doesn't think she should be there
She was elected in 2009. If his only motivation was political, why did he wait until 2013, when she'd already suffered a career-ending lapse of judgement?

She was elected in 2009. If his only motivation was political, why did he wait until 2013, when she'd already suffered a career-ending lapse of judgement?
it's the fact that he said he was vetoing because she was in office and then followed through on it, he was stupid for making the comment, and stupider for following through with it

GasBandit

Staff member
it's the fact that he said he was vetoing because she was in office and then followed through on it, he was stupid for making the comment, and stupider for following through with it
You're repeatedly and purposefully ignoring the part where she'd be in charge of the department/money in question. That's kind of an important part.

But who knows... maybe this will be Perry's "Al Capone Tax Fraud" bit, but the more I read about it, the less optimistic I am.

You're repeatedly and purposefully ignoring the part where she'd be in charge of the department/money in question. That's kind of an important part.

But who knows... maybe this will be Perry's "Al Capone Tax Fraud" bit, but the more I read about it, the less optimistic I am.
As soon as I read the link you posted, I had a feeling this would wind up going nowhere. From where I'm sitting, far away from the intrigues of TX politics, it reads tailor made for the news outlets of all stripes to poo all over this story. The fertilizer from the noise machine will overwhelm any actual facts.