Revised: Columbus Clippers Baseball Game

Nah. Maybe a bit mean on occasion, though that's a lot less these days. Definitely cynical and sarcastic on occasion. Bad taste, possibly. Don't agree with most of his political views. Definitely not a bad person.

Reactions: Amy
He totally is.
He keeps people awake at all hours of the night, when they should be sleeping!

Well, yeah, but he's got that thing for red-heads, so short of murder, he stays on the "positive" side in my book.

(I might even let the murder slide if it's not a redhead.);)

GasBandit

Staff member
Hey, the travel plans thing isn't my fault![DOUBLEPOST=1435877574,1435877530][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok it's a little my fault.

I used to dislike him quite a bit because, well, sometimes you just don't like a person, but now I think he's a pretty good guy. I disagree with his politics (and vice versa I'm sure) but he's intelligent, has a good sense of humor, and I agree with him about redheads.

How the hell has anybody formed an opinion about somebody, based solely on the content they post here? Discuss.
Because when you interact with people, even in an online forum, you have reactions to them, and those reactions form the basis of an opinion, which grows over time and through circumstance?

So based on the interactions here, you form an opinion of someone you have never met in real life. Seems reasonable.....carry on.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok,

A) I APOLOGIZED FOR THAT LIKE A HUNDRED TIMES
B) You DRAGGED THAT OUT OF ME after HOURS of badgering
and
C) That's FAR from the only time tears were shed, and they seemed to all happen at random!

I like Gas!

That doesn't sound right.[DOUBLEPOST=1435878101,1435878068][/DOUBLEPOST]
So based on the interactions here, you form an opinion of someone you have never met in real life. Seems reasonable.....carry on.
Hey I had an opinion of you before I met you in person. If I didn't have said opinion you would not have met my children.

I like Gas!

That doesn't sound right.[DOUBLEPOST=1435878101,1435878068][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hey I had an opinion of you before I met you in person. If I didn't have said opinion you would not have met my children.
And now they are better people for having met me. I am just saying that to a degree, this place is like facebook. You only see what people want you to see. Oh sure, maybe some people are slightly more honest here, but it's all the same. Unless you meet somebody in real life and interact with them in different scenarios you know fuck all.

GasBandit

Staff member
And he thinks I'd date any cute guy with abs
That is not even remotely in the neighborhood of anything I ever said.[DOUBLEPOST=1435878467,1435878408][/DOUBLEPOST]
And now they are better people for having met me. I am just saying that to a degree, this place is like facebook. You only see what people want you to see. Oh sure, maybe some people are slightly more honest here, but it's all the same. Unless you meet somebody in real life and interact with them in different scenarios you know fuck all.
Well, she *is* right, I am a pretty bad person. Just not for the reasons she's bringing up.

Reactions: Amy
And now they are better people for having met me.
Ha! Noah still mentions you whenever he sees something with skydiving. He doesn't remember your name, only that you're my friend.

You only see what people want you to see. Oh sure, maybe some people are slightly more honest here, but it's all the same. Unless you meet somebody in real life and interact with them in different scenarios you know fuck all.
That can be true even when you meet someone in person, though. I mean, yes, it's more difficult to keep a deception going if you're face-to-face friends. But people aren't open books just because you meet in person rather than online. I've had people I've known for years and years who I honestly would say I don't know well.
I also think opinions we form about people we "know" online aren't fixed. The opinion I have of some people I know only online has changed over time in a number of directions. There was one person I met on a forum for military spouses who instantly rubbed me the wrong way. She went by BattleBuddy and I figured she was some shriveled old colonel's wife who bled Army camo. She's now a very good friend who turned out to be my age and a huge geek. If my opinion of her was not malleable, I would never have believed she could be a nice person let alone someone I'd want as a friend.