Reveal how odd you are!

I would like to see everyone naked at least once. It's not even a sexual thing. I just honestly wonder what everyone I meet would look like naked.

Cajungal

Staff member
I like threads like this, because all we really learn is that everyone and no one is odd. We're all united in our quirks.

I LOVE pillows. I used to sleep with 6, one of them being a ginormous body pillow. But, when I got married, I downsized to 3.

I refuse to sleep unless I've read from a book. And it doesn't matter how late I get home, I will always read before I go to bed. I even take books on vacations with me and to conventions so that I can read at night. I may miss a night here and there, but really I've read pretty consistently before bed for YEARS. Probably since I was 10 or younger.

Rhiannon apparently has issues hearing stuff unless it's in a certain register
I know you're just referring to selective hearing that all kids (and most adults) have but I know that my youngest brother, who had a severe speech impediment as a developing toddler (and had a lot of difficulty learning to speak entirely), was later found to have an actual hearing issue that required surgery to fix that was the cause of his problems.

I visualise the letters of the words I speak, so everything in my head is 'written' while I talk. I think I developed this habit when I was young and had figured out that 'sound it out' was seldom good advice, so I would just challenge myself to know how to spell anything I said. But now it's wholly automatic, I can't stop!

I know you're just referring to selective hearing that all kids (and most adults) have but I know that my youngest brother, who had a severe speech impediment as a developing toddler (and had a lot of difficulty learning to speak entirely), was later found to have an actual hearing issue that required surgery to fix that was the cause of his problems.
We've not ruled that out, either. We're wrangling with some medical paperwork, working on getting her a hearing assessment.

I like threads like this, because all we really learn is that everyone and no one is odd. We're all united in our quirks.
I would temper that a bit. I'm sure there are things that we could each say about ourselves that would get us avoided, or even shunned/outcast.
I think this would be more a matter of everyone having their "triggers," rather than being genuinely unloveable.
I have long hair, for instance. There are those who can't stand long hair on guys and find it disgusting. To each their own. I certainly don't eat babies*.

--Patrick
*Not baby humans, at any rate.

I can attest to this. Also the long hair bit. If @Enresshou hadn't hacked off his dreads we'd have a significant portion of the long haired halforum males in Michigan.
Long hair makes you odd -and- makes you live in Michigan? I'm gonna hafta move.

Also, dear god, I can see my receding hairline.

I have extremely narrow ear canals. To the point that if I go swimming or take a bath and don't dry my ears out after, I will get an ear infection. Also, I can't use cotton swabs. They just compact everything down like musketmen tamping down gunpowder.

I have extremely narrow ear canals. To the point that if I go swimming or take a bath and don't dry my ears out after, I will get an ear infection. Also, I can't use cotton swabs. They just compact everything down like musketmen tamping down gunpowder.
No one should use cotton swabs. I've discovered this the hard way.

Ask any ear doctor, and they'll tell you not to put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear.

I believe in the reptiloid conspiracy to a tee one because the idea that alien monsters are the reason for the world being horrible is comforting, and two the hope that my inner ten year old wants to blast an alien with a ray gun.
is it ok if i steal this one? ive always wanted to raygun aliens too.

to contribute: sometimes i make myself sneeze, usually using a key or pencap. i dont know why, it just feels good to sneeze i guess.

No one should use cotton swabs. I've discovered this the hard way.

Ask any ear doctor, and they'll tell you not to put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear.
Ever since I found natural ear tastes gross in my teenage years*, I clean mine pretty well on the outside, and use a qtip a day for the ear canals. Never had any compaction problems, and as a side benefit I've never had internal itching since then. But I must have larger ear canals than some, as the qtip isn't a snug fit, and I don't go in very far, nowhere near the eardrum.

*:unibrow:

sometimes i make myself sneeze, usually using a key or pencap. i dont know why, it just feels good to sneeze i guess.
Too bad people aren't still widely in the habit of using snuff.

I like to open my chips/crackers/etc. from the bottom of the bag instead of the top. That way I get all the crumbly bits out of the way first, so that the further I go along, the more perfect my snacks become.

--Patrick

is it ok if i steal this one? ive always wanted to raygun aliens too.

to contribute: sometimes i make myself sneeze, usually using a key or pencap. i dont know why, it just feels good to sneeze i guess.
I have a photic sneeze response. If you don't know what that is, it's sneezing whenever you are suddenly exposed to bright light. About 1/3rd of people have it. Most people who don't aren't even aware of its existence.

I have a photic sneeze response. If you don't know what that is, it's sneezing whenever you are suddenly exposed to bright light. About 1/3rd of people have it. Most people who don't aren't even aware of its existence.
I only know what that is from Pete and Pete

Me too. So does my son. We would actually clear out his stuffed up nose by turning on the light when he was a little baby waking up in the middle of the night.

It's obviously a genetic thing, because it runs in my family. I wonder if it's dominant or recessive.

My theory about what causes it is that there's some sort of crossed sensory perception mechanism between the olfactory and optic receptors. Nobody knows for sure though as there's been very little research done about it.

It's obviously a genetic thing, because it runs in my family. I wonder if it's dominant or recessive.

My theory about what causes it is that there's some sort of crossed sensory perception mechanism between the olfactory and optic receptors. Nobody knows for sure though as there's been very little research done about it.
That is along the lines of one of the leading theories, from what I recall.

fade

Staff member
I'm convinced magic is real. I just haven't figured out how to make it work yet. The rational part of my brain, of course, knows this is silly.

I'm convinced magic is real. I just haven't figured out how to make it work yet. The rational part of my brain, of course, knows this is silly.
Depends on what type of magic you're talking about. Many versions are downright sciency, they just deal with energies we don't have.

YET!

I'm convinced magic is real. I just haven't figured out how to make it work yet.
Same with telekinesis, etc. I'm convinced that if someone could demonstrate it for me, and show me how it is done, that I could replicate it. And that the only reason I can't now is because I've never done it to know exactly what to do. You know, like a backflip.

--Patrick

Science is working on the TK thing. There's a helicopter that reads your thoughts and responds accordingly. If I weren't at work, I'd get the link.[DOUBLEPOST=1380935716,1380935669][/DOUBLEPOST]Keep in mind that Alchemy and Philosophy are what eventually became Chemistry and Psychology.

It's become pretty obvious that if humans can imagine it, we can pretty much make it happen provided we can find the means. Many things that exist currently were things that people thought were impossible at one point in time, from Airplanes to Cell Phones.

I get disproportionately annoyed if I go out for dinner and wind up eating something I could have made better at home - especially if it's a nice restaurant and the cost of the dinner is more than I would have paid in groceries. For this reason there is only one local restaurant that I'll go to for steak, one place I'll go for Italian, one Thai restaurant, two Japanese places, one Indian place, and no Chinese, Pizza, or Mexican restaurants that I'll choose to go to. And the only reason I'll go to the Japanese places are for sushi (which I can't cook at all), and ramen (because I haven't taken the time or effort yet to learn to make ramen noodles from scratch).