Reveal how odd you are!

Seriously, tell us all something about yourself and why something about you is odd compared to everyone else. I'll start.

I have two beds I regularly sleep in in my house. One in my bedroom, a king (that I regularly share with my girlfriend) and a double that I keep in my...well, video game/nerdry office I guess (I have a work office on the main floor) in the basement. My gaming PC and consoles and shit (Warhammer stuff) are all in there too. Sometimes I just want to veg out in my basement room in a bed playing video games. I sleep there maybe 1/3rd of the time (as little as I actually sleep).

This is something nobody I know finds normal.

I replaced the chair at my computer in my home office with a recliner, I basically sleep here in my office every night thanks to GERD and the general quietness of my basement compared to the upstairs.

GasBandit

Staff member
Until the little woman came along, I almost never slept in a bed. I slept on my own couch 90% of the time.

Also, I can raise one eyebrow (my left) extremely easily and often do so without realizing. But I have to concentrate very hard to raise only my right eyebrow. But I can wiggle my right ear independently, or both, but not the left ear alone.

Last edited:
When I drink beverages from a small aperture (sodas, coffee from lidded cups), I do so from the side of my mouth, so as not to obstruct my view forwards. I've done it as long as I can remember, but I always get comments on it.

Also - even though I know he will come here, sure as I can find a fire ant bed whilst wearing sandals - Yoshi's not allowed to post in here.

I don't know how weird it is, but I have a morning routine, and if it gets mixed up I forget stuff. As in, I will forget to put on deodorant or make coffee. I don't have to do things in order, but I have to do all the bathroom stuff at once or all the kitchen stuff at once. Before I was married I forgot to eat breakfast all the time.

Right before I walk out the door I have to do a pat down to make sure I have all my stuff (keys, wallet, cell phone) and then think about hygienic things (teeth brushed, deo, etc). It's not like I am rushed. I could get up at 5 am and still forget stuff.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't know how weird it is, but I have a morning routine, and if it gets mixed up I forget stuff. As in, I will forget to put on deodorant or make coffee. I don't have to do things in order, but I have to do all the bathroom stuff at once or all the kitchen stuff at once. Before I was married I forgot to eat breakfast all the time.

Right before I walk out the door I have to do a pat down to make sure I have all my stuff (keys, wallet, cell phone) and then think about hygienic things (teeth brushed, deo, etc). It's not like I am rushed. I could get up at 5 am and still forget stuff.
That doesn't strike me as odd... or, at least it happens to me all the time as well. Maybe we're just both odd in that way. But studies have shown human memory to be context-based and location linked, so it seems to me perfectly logical that if you leave the bathroom without putting on deodorant, you're very likely to forget to do so at all.

Seriously, tell us all something about yourself and why something about you is odd compared to everyone else. I'll start.

I have two beds I regularly sleep in in my house. One in my bedroom, a king (that I regularly share with my girlfriend) and a double that I keep in my...well, video game/nerdry office I guess (I have a work office on the main floor) in the basement. My gaming PC and consoles and shit (Warhammer stuff) are all in there too. Sometimes I just want to veg out in my basement room in a bed playing video games. I sleep there maybe 1/3rd of the time (as little as I actually sleep).

This is something nobody I know finds normal.
If I had a large enough house, I would definitely have two beds to regularly use. That sounds great; I would never have thought of such a thing, but now I feel a modicum of envy for you.

Apparently I talk out of the left side of my mouth, and smile lopsidedly, with the left side much higher. It's not intentional, and if pointed out I can consciously talk/smile 'normally', but it just seems to be the way I speak.

I have to do a pat down to make sure I have all my stuff (keys, wallet, cell phone)
I do this throughout the day. Any time I leave a place (even my desk at the office), any time I arrive at a new place, etc. I also always keep everything in certain pockets and panic when they're not there. I've freaked out about losing my keys when I couldn't feel them in my left pocket... They were in my hand.

I have absolutely no sense of time. I have to set reminders and alarms on my phone if I have to do something at a specific time, otherwise it will whoosh by. I also have to be very careful not to procrastinate because of this, because if I decide I'm going to do something -tomorrow-, that tomorrow could turn into weeks.

I have no internal monologue. I kind of do, but I talk to myself a lot, especially when out shopping.

I've mentioned this before, and I think it was Bowie who pointed out it was a "thing". I like to pick and pull. I always pick at any scabs I have, and I like to pull out my hair. Now that I'm getting older I have plenty of nose and chest hair to pluck. If I grow my facial hair at all, and itch on my face leads me to plucking out the hairs there. I used to pull at my eyebrows, but not so much now. I just love the feeling of the hair slowly pulling out of my skin.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, and you guys already know about the teeth thing, right?

Edit - heh, stienman remembers.

Last edited:
Ok, Ill bite. I find myself counting syllables by clicking my molars together, first left then right. Not sure why. I prefer it to be an even number of lefts and rights.

Cajungal

Staff member
Ok, Ill bite. I find myself counting syllables by clicking my molars together, first left then right. Not sure why. I prefer it to be an even number of lefts and rights.
I DO THAT TOO! I've done that exact thing since I was in kindergarten. I also tap my left and right index fingers to count syllables. Awesome.

I don't think this is odd, but a lot of my coworkers do. I just nerd out about food a lot. We just had a teacher pot luck this afternoon, and I was asking all these elaborate questions about how they prepare their food. They just kind of stare blankly. The kicker was when I said, "I'm going to marry this brownie and have a romantic honeymoon with it." I'm glad I got laughs and not disgusted stares. I just get really psyched when I talk about food preparation. Not weird for a culinary school dropout, but weird for a lot of teacher/parents who worship the mighty crock pot. (No disrespect intended. God bless the crock pot.)

Well thats not odd at all.

I'm a huge fidgeter. I've been given multiple fidget rocks but they're just not the same. It needs to be some random item.

I compulsively break bills and hoard change, which I roll and... hoard mostly. I should really get over to the bank.

I can snap all of my fingers on both of my hands. And tend to do so, all at once.

I always want my left foot to be "final" one to push myself up stairs. So it's not the last foot on a stair, but rather the first one to the final level surface (or landing, if multi-part stairs). How I start doesn't matter (can be either), but I "want" to end on my left foot as the final one on the "level" part of where I'm going. So if I've been on stairs multiple times, I always run them the same way once I've figured out the number. Bonus that it's sometimes a different "starter" foot if I'm taking them two at a time, and to make the two-at-a-time "perfect" sometimes you step to the first start to start, not the second, so you can end on a "double" rather than end on a single at the top. I'm not so OCD that it is "omg my day is ruined" if I do it wrong, it just feels like it breaks my stride or something. So I want it to be "proper" if I can.

So ya... stairs are a thing for me.

And I'm with ya blotsfan. I'm the same with fidgeting. Drives my wife banannas.

I have absolutely no sense of time. I have to set reminders and alarms on my phone if I have to do something at a specific time, otherwise it will whoosh by. I also have to be very careful not to procrastinate because of this, because if I decide I'm going to do something -tomorrow-, that tomorrow could turn into weeks.
With you on that. Advantageous from a "I legitimately have to think about it to remember how old I am" standpoint, lousy for things like deadlines (which matter to other people, but not me).

If I drink pop/soda from a can, I will merely crack the seal enough to get at the contents, but not enough to open the actual mouth, and then drink the contents by pulling them through the crack via suction or by pressurizing the can (by shaking it slightly or blowing into it) and tipping it so the crack is at the bottom. It's a little noisier than normal and tends to confuse people (because the can still appears to be closed), but I adopted this method after accidentally trying to drink a live carpenter ant that had gotten into a can I had left out overnight. Bonus benefit: If I knock the can over, it doesn't immediately spill its contents all over whatever was underneath.

--Patrick

I wish I never had to sleep. Ever. That I could just stay awake 24/7, no repercussions. I talk about it often, what a waste of time sleep is to me, if only I didn't need a little of it here and there, there's so much more I could do. You can probably guess I'm a morning person as a result. And everyone hates me for it.

When I'm bored or upset, I do chores.

I don't know what else is weird. I know other people find me weird, but because they don't give me a context as to what is normal or divulge what it is they find weird about me, I don't really know. My wife would be better at listing things that are weird about me.

I talk to myself quite a lot, out loud, usually in private but I've been known to be caught muttering to myself.

I am with @Quotemander Prime on wishing I never had to sleep. I definitely agree feeling like it is a waste of time, but also, for years sleep was a very unpleasant experience. I have dreadful insomnia, so I would go to bed, not fall asleep for hours no matter how tired I was, and if I did fall asleep, I'd wake up every hour or so and struggle to fall back sleep. On top of that, I had night terrors well outside the normal age range and frequency. All of this made me hate sleep even more. Nowadays I've found a combination of meds that help me fall and stay asleep, and I can actually wake up refreshed. It's quite amazing, actually: until earlier this year, I hadn't had a 'good' sleep that I could remember. So I'm no longer hateful toward sleep, but I do still think it's a waste of time. I wish I could have those hours to read or write or... do... stuff.

I love sleep. Can do it at any time, any where with little to no effort. Used to sleep standing up at school between classes; just lean against the locker and nap.
I also have to sleep with my feet uncovered and my head covered. Something about having the ability to jump up and run if I have to, very strange.

I don't have a filter between my brain and my mouth. My counsellor once told me "You have a tendency to over-communicate." If I'm thinking something, I just say it, regardless of the consequences unfortunately. If you want an honest opinion on something, most people know to come to me. It's resulted in a couple career-limiting moves. I'm a shameless flirt also as a result.

THC has no effect on me. :(

Adam said:
I love sleep. Can do it at any time, any where with little to no effort. Used to sleep standing up at school between classes; just lean against the locker and nap. I also have to sleep with my feet uncovered and my head covered. Something about having the ability to jump up and run if I have to, very strange. I don't have a filter between my brain and my mouth. My counsellor once told me "You have a tendency to over-communicate." If I'm thinking something, I just say it, regardless of the consequences unfortunately. If you want an honest opinion on something, most people know to come to me. It's resulted in a couple career-limiting moves. I'm a shameless flirt also as a result. THC has no effect on me. :(
I have the same filter problem. If I think something, I tend to say it. Sometimes if it's a conversation that was planned ahead of time (a meeting or what have you) I can prepare myself ahead of time and not say dumb shit. Spring something on me and I have to be really careful.

I continually fail at legitimately trying to pick things up off the floor that are small. I always drop them after a few inches and have to try again, Usually several more times.

I often sing my commands to my kids.

"Pick up the clothes!" would be sung with two eighth notes and a quarter in monotone for the first three words, then a half note for the last word, ascended a couple of notes. Longer phrases often involve well known tunes and require more adlibbing to finish the musical phrase at a reasonable spot.

Occasionally they sing back. "I don't want too!" "Then go to bed...!" (which, of course, would involve a descent as a negative phrase)

I'm sure I have some oddities, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. But I am right there with Frank and others about having two separate beds. There's the queen-sized four post canopy bed that I share with my wife most nights, and there's the shitty little twin bed in the room with my computer. For me though, the reason was that there's a nice 3 inch thick foam pad on the queen-sized bed that's extravagantly comfortable most nights, but is occasionally too soft for my back - and also because it took several years of our living together (and even most of the first year of our marriage) before she had adjusted to being able to sleep in the same bed as someone else.

1. I always eat small things (grapes, breath mints etc) in even numbers. Either two or four in my mouth at once. I used to chew them evenly on both sides, but since I messed up my teeth on my left side I can only chew with my right now.

2. I like to plan out soccer formations, tactics, and strategies in my head. Most of them suck though.

3. I talk to myself, to the point of having heated arguments with myself, even in public.

4. I prefer the Sega Saturn over the Sony Playstation.

5. Last one's a bit NSFW:
I cannot reach orgasm from sexual intercourse, only from masturbation.

I carry around an eraser that I think is lucky because one time I lost it and then found it again, and when I went to my car my lights were on for five hours and the battery wasn't messed up. If I can't find it before I go out I'll spend HOURS looking for the thing.

I used to wear two completely different color shoes when I went out. I only quit not because I hated doing it but because my white pair of shoes basically DIED and new shoes are 40 dollars, why the hell are shoes so damn expensive? Its either be true to my style, or save money and my cheapness outweighs my styleness.

When needed somewhere in a hurry in short distances I do not run, I gallop. Its just a natural thing I do by this point, I have done it for years.

I have a twitch on occasion, though not as often as when I was younger.

I believe in the reptiloid conspiracy to a tee one because the idea that alien monsters are the reason for the world being horrible is comforting, and two the hope that my inner ten year old wants to blast an alien with a ray gun.

I am afraid of Mark Wahlberg. I do not know why, hasn't done anything to me.

And that's pretty much the tip of the iceberg.

Its a thread called "Reveal how odd you are" like I wouldn't jump at the chance!

Edit: Whoops, I meant gallop.

Last edited:
I believe in the reptiloid conspiracy to a tee one because the idea that alien monsters are the reason for the world being horrible is comforting, and two the hope that my inner ten year old wants to blast an alien with a ray gun.

I am afraid of Mark Wahlberg. I do not know why, hasn't done anything to me.
I feel like these are pretty obviously connected.

I often sing my commands to my kids.

"Pick up the clothes!" would be sung with two eighth notes and a quarter in monotone for the first three words, then a half note for the last word, ascended a couple of notes. Longer phrases often involve well known tunes and require more adlibbing to finish the musical phrase at a reasonable spot.

Occasionally they sing back. "I don't want too!" "Then go to bed...!" (which, of course, would involve a descent as a negative phrase)
I... might have to try this. Rhiannon apparently has issues hearing stuff unless it's in a certain register (either that, or she figures that she can ignore my wife, and only respond when I pull out "Daddy voice," in which case, she's gonna figure out real quick that's a bad idea...)

Cary does the same thing...it's all fun and games until Kati screams or dad bellows. I assume he's just testing his boundaries, and that it will eventually end, but that doesn't make it any less annoying right now.

I used to think I was odd because my ideal schedule seemed to be for my sleep cycle to be from 2-3a to 11-Noon, and I don't mean like a preference, I mean that this is what my body/mind actually preferred. But then I learned (just a month ago, at that) about DPSD, and now I don't feel special any longer. :(

--Patrick