Remembering JCM

That's really the rub of the matter. The internet forum is going the way of the chat room. The short attention span/instant gratification format of the 3rd gen social media is taking over, and now even Facebook is starting to look passe.

Facebook is pretty much for 30 yo + anymore. The worst part is it's become the new Forwards from Grandma repository.

Kinda left when user (Chaz I think?) started verbally abusing and attacking my wife after she signed up, specially over pms.

Still alive, three kids, great job, working with protest groups and fighting off the old leftist corrupt government in my country and trying to stop it from going down the Venezuela path of economic ruin (so far, successfully, we got the president impeached and economy is almost back to normal, but their militancy started invading schools, weird shit, really), but also trying to stop us from sliding into the authoritarian evangelical right, represented by a guy called Bolsonaro who comes from the Marine Le Pen/Norbert Hofer/Nigel Farage school of politics.

Best of luck with Trump guys, for the first time I actually pray that I have been wrong all this time.

uh wtf are you talking about? I never harassed your wife let alone PM her (don't even know who she is on the forum)...

As usual you're wrong. Good too see ya though, ya ol' bastard.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, you were never the PM insults guy. You were more the "insult you to your face" guy. :)

As usual you're wrong. Good too see ya though, ya ol' bastard.
It comes with the age then, but the extra time did help me get some shit together, travel a bit and all and raise my kids. My apologies.

Answering the other guy, I was actually trying to remember my handle for an old account of a wiki page, saw this thread, jumped straight to the funny pictures thread, old habits die hard and all and ended up registering.

It comes with the age then, but the extra time did help me get some shit together, travel a bit and all and raise my kids. My apologies.

Answering the other guy, I was actually trying to remember my handle for an old account of a wiki page, saw this thread, jumped straight to the funny pictures thread, old habits die hard and all and ended up registering.

That's right! Don't you besmirch the good name of Chazwozel! That's my job![DOUBLEPOST=1479762400,1479762317][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, you were never the PM insults guy. You were more the "insult you to your face" guy. :)

I've got 32 posts in my inbox that span from 2011 - 2016. I barely PM anyone.

New name for a new attitude. But sometimes the Chaz of old seeps through.

Me... I kept the name, changed the avatar... went through some stuff... I'm a little different now myself.
It kind of grinds my gears when people go off acting like I (as Chazwozel) was some kind of forum devil. And I really haven't calmed down so much as I've sort of moved on past actually needing this place as an outlet. The majority of "beef" - if you sit down for like 15 minutes and review posts - is that often times people misconstrued sarcastic ribbing as actual insults. Do I think some of the old feuds went too far? Absolutely. But in the end, most of it was driven more by other posters' perceived image of this big, bad Chazwozel rather than actually instigating anything myself. It's a persona that I unfortunately adopted since foul mouthing Kurtz and a select few during the PvP forum days that followed me here. That's exactly why the name change - to help dissociate from that. I do keep the Chazwozel Extraordinaire moniker to remind those that would remember that I can still be abrasive if provoked. I've also apologized in a previous post for any and all slights that may have been taken, so as far as I'm concerned, it's all water under the bridge.

Fuckers.[DOUBLEPOST=1479828350,1479828239][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, but I feel like I bring it up too much. If JCM wants the full story he can go read my blog entries from the last 3 years.

Nah. If that's your way of coping, man. Let it out.

[DOUBLEPOST=1479828533][/DOUBLEPOST] Aside: Does JCM know that NorthRanger died?

Still weird, NorthRanger was always the guy with the fun stories, almost a pastiche of the Finn stereotype, and I benefited often from the stuff he recommended. Fuck cancer.

Cancer certainly sucks donkey dick, but I must say, as someone that's deeply familiar with DNA replication/repair, cellular growth, biochemistry, and genomics, to me it's a wonder all this shit works the way it does with as much accuracy as it does at all.

You know how astronomers oftentimes get a sense of humbleness when they get a glimpse of how insignificant the Earth is relative to... everything else? I get that sense when I come to terms that none of this - none of the cells in your body - have sentience, and they just do what they do because we're just walking meat sacks of water that provide a nice environment to allow long ass (often redundant) nucleic acid chains to manufacture soluble (and insoluble) proteins that bump into each other, interact, and change shapes to make up this crazy thing we call life.

Cancer is such a shitty byproduct of such an amazing thing.

GasBandit

Staff member
Cancer certainly sucks donkey dick, but I must say, as someone that's deeply familiar with DNA replication/repair, cellular growth, biochemistry, and genomics, to me it's a wonder all this shit works the way it does with as much accuracy as it does at all.

You know how astronomers oftentimes get a sense of humbleness when they get a glimpse of how insignificant the Earth is relative to... everything else? I get that sense when I come to terms that none of this - none of the cells in your body - have sentience, and they just do what they do because we're just walking meat sacks of water that provide a nice environment to allow long ass (often redundant) nucleic acid chains to manufacture soluble (and insoluble) proteins that bump into each other, interact, and change shapes to make up this crazy thing we call life.

I suppose that's one perspective. I suspect you'll forgive me if I find it cold comfort, however.

Completely expected what with the whole mutate/survive/evolve thing, though.
Henrietta Lax unintentionally became one of the most resilient organisms on this planet, right after tardigrades.

--Patrick

Last edited:
It may end up being a curse, as we live longer and beat every disease under the sun, or even reach immortality, cancer will still be there to take us out, the myth of Tithonus playing out in real life.

GasBandit

Staff member
It may end up being a curse, as we live longer and beat every disease under the sun, or even reach immortality, cancer will still be there to take us out, the myth of Tithonus playing out in real life.
The people we're talking about, however, did not "live longer." Cancer took North Ranger at 30, and left me a widower at 34.

Reactions: JCM
CRISPR, a gene editing technique, is being used on a person for the first time, and the target is their aggressive lung cancer.

http://www.usnews.com/news/national...rispr-cas9-used-in-a-human-for-the-first-time

I suspect that ultimately most common cancers will be treatable, it seems to be just a matter of time, something cancer patients have too little of.

My hope is that my grandchildren will think of cancer the way I think of polio - a solved problem that can only be brought back through human stupidity and/or ignorance.

The people we're talking about, however, did not "live longer." Cancer took North Ranger at 30, and left me a widower at 34.
Damn, after you posted that I had to go and read your blog.

You have my deepest condolences Gas, and my eternal admiration for overcoming this sad chapter, heck I do not know if I could ever come back like you did, should the same happen to me.

GasBandit

Staff member
Damn, after you posted that I had to go and read your blog.

You have my deepest condolences Gas, and my eternal admiration for overcoming this sad chapter, heck I do not know if I could ever come back like you did, should the same happen to me.
Thanks. I'm not honestly sure all of me did come back.

I suppose that's one perspective. I suspect you'll forgive me if I find it cold comfort, however.
Oh absolutely. Walking meat bags aside, that perspective does nothing for the fact that all those processes amount to people we love and care about. My warmest condolences to offer to you would be more of a zen philosophy that your wife lives on through you in your memories of her, and when it's your turn that consciousness and memories will combine and absorb back into themselves as part of the universe again. One way or another, my friend, you'll see your wife again.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh absolutely. Walking meat bags aside, that perspective does nothing for the fact that all those processes amount to people we love and care about. My warmest condolences to offer to you would be more of a zen philosophy that your wife lives on through you in your memories of her, and when it's your turn that consciousness and memories will combine and absorb back into themselves as part of the universe again. One way or another, my friend, you'll see your wife again.
I kinda hope so. I owe her SUCH a chewing out.