[Food] Regional Foods

Here you can't find root beer in any place. But I can find orange juice from california. Who buys that? It's orange juice four times the price than the ones squeezed in the store.

Here you can't find root beer in any place. But I can find orange juice from california. Who buys that? It's orange juice four times the price than the ones squeezed in the store.
Squeezed in the store... that's an interesting concept.

GasBandit

Staff member
At a guess, American tourists and expats?

Squeezed in the store... that's an interesting concept.
http://www.orchidislandjuice.com/

I keep meaning to check them out, if they have any local(ish) distribution. Rather than squeeze all their juice at harvest time, they put away all the oranges, and then break them out to squeeze small batches all year long. It's much more expensive comparatively, but I keep meaning to get a jug so I can try it.

--Patrick

Believe it or not, a BEER float is a great thing too. Yes I know it sounds really weird, and it is pretty weird, but I tried it, and it was great. Odd, but great. Pour out a bottle of something similar to Rickard's Red (that was what it was originally, and others that are close work fine) and a big scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream. And eat/drink it kind of like you would a Root Beer one. COMPLETELY different flavour, but it does work. You wouldn't want anything lighter though. On the darker-side of beers benefit from the creaminess of the ice cream.

I just found out that root beer is almost universally loathed outside the US, apparently it tastes like medicine to many people.

Too bad for them, more for me.
...and Hires!

Barq's is the only commercially available* root beer that contains caffeine. The rest of 'em are caffeine-free.

--Patrick
*i.e., "popular"
Possibly the reason I choose Barq's, although I do find its flavour superior to Mug or A&W, the latter of which I find quite bland. I think my favourite is Jones Soda's root beer but it's difficult to find in cases; usually it's like $3/bottle at convenience stores.

It's basically impossible to find Jones Soda stuff that isn't green apple, berry lemonade, or cola in cans outside of some VERY specific retailers.

As for root beer... it basically boils down to three types:

- Those that use vanilla. This is your A&W style stuff. It's really mellow and has no spiciness at all.

- Those that use nutmeg. This is your Barqs and they have spiciness (the trademark "bite).

- Those that use nether. This is Mug. It tends to be really sweet.

I prefer mine with nutmeg. It makes all the difference.

Possibly the reason I choose Barq's, although I do find its flavour superior to Mug or A&W, the latter of which I find quite bland. I think my favourite is Jones Soda's root beer but it's difficult to find in cases; usually it's like $3/bottle at convenience stores.
I haven't had it in forever, but Boylan's and Dad's have great root beers too.

As a kid I always loved Frostie's. Then as an adult IBC.

I am so glad I forgot this thread when I went to the grocery store today. Or I'd have gallons of ice cream and root beer now...

Cost Plus World Market and BevMo are my go-to shops for non-giant conglomerate sodas. I tend to pick up any new root beer I see. Overseas, I found a high end grocery store that had Boylan's Birch Beer. It was the best soda I could find in the country. Ever try Lester's Fixins Sweet Corn soda? It's weird, really tastes like corn, but not disgustingly.

As a kid I always loved Frostie's.
Frostie's is a good budget buy for both root beer and ginger ale. Usually 99 cents for a decent sized bottle, and they're fair quality. Another good budget bottle is Frostop, which I often see in the local dollar stores.

--Patrick

Sprecher brewery makes terrible beer, but their rootbeer is fantastic.

I haven't had it in forever, but Boylan's and Dad's have great root beers too.
Stewarts made a decent root beer, too. I was trying to remember them when we were talking about the A&W restaurants. There were Stewarts drive-ins around where I used to live. They even had carhop service.

Now, I like Virgil's root beer and cream soda.

Stewarts made a decent root beer, too. I was trying to remember them when we were talking about the A&W restaurants. There were Stewarts drive-ins around where I used to live. They even had carhop service.

Now, I like Virgil's root beer and cream soda.
You need to try the special Virgil's Bavarian root beer they make with nutmeg. Comes in these big bottles... super spicy.