Export thread

Regional Foods

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Pez and I were talkinga bout different foods that a generally just a regional thing and it made me curious about everyone else!

Are there any foods that are only popular in your region? Or by state?

Since I'm in Utah, I know the big one for around here is Fry Sauce, which in general, is just a Utah thing. What about you guys? Do tell! Anything people have to try/places they have to go if they visit your area?

blotsfan

blotsfan

For Buffalo:
chicken wings. You may have them where you are but they're not as good.
Beef on Weck. Its a normal roast beef sandwich, but the bun is covered with salt. Delicious.
Loganberry: Basically sugar water, but delicious sugar water. Also, non carbonated which is nice for me.

Out here in Missouri:
Toasted Ravioli (toasted means fried)
BBQ. St Louis and Kansas City both have different styles of BBQ. St Louis likes a dry rub where any sauce has to be applied by you. Kansas City slathers it with a ton of sauce. Both delicious.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Many people outside the state don't know that some areas of Texas have very apparent Czech roots. Nowhere is this more apparent than in West, Texas (which ironically is in central/east Texas), home of the Czech Stop. Right on I-35, any trip between DFW and any point south of there is not complete without a stopover in West. Their distinctive pastries, desserts, kolaches, cookies, pies and cakes quickly will become a tradition in any road trip going that direction. I'd say it's even worth taking the slightly longer drive up 6 to Waco from Houston instead of going direct to DFW via I-45.

And no, I do not work there and they're not paying me for saying this :p I just freakin love me some sausage kolaches.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

For Buffalo:

Out here in Missouri:
BBQ. St Louis and Kansas City both have different styles of BBQ. St Louis likes a dry rub where any sauce has to be applied by you. Kansas City slathers it with a ton of sauce. Both delicious.
HNNN, I love BBQ so much! You're speaking my language with this. One day I even want to go on a BBQ tour around the US - start in Texas and squirrel through Kansas City, Memphis and ending in the Carolina's. EAT ALL THE BBQ!!! :heart:[DOUBLEPOST=1397144538,1397144481][/DOUBLEPOST]
Many people outside the state don't know that some areas of Texas have very apparent Czech roots. Nowhere is this more apparent than in West, Texas (which ironically is in central/east Texas), home of the Czech Stop. Right on I-35, any trip between DFW and any point south of there is not complete without a stopover in West. Their distinctive pastries, desserts, kolaches, cookies, pies and cakes quickly will become a tradition in any road trip going that direction. I'd say it's even worth taking the slightly longer drive up 6 to Waco from Houston instead of going direct to DFW via I-45.

And no, I do not work there and they're not paying me for saying this :p I just freakin love me some kolaches.
Hey! Pez just taught me about kolaches! They sound so delicious!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Pasties.
Cherries/Apples.
Pączki.
Walleye/Whitefish.
Paw paw.
Wine.
Morels.
Fudge.
Beer.
Honey.

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Texas: Man where to start...

Chicken Fried Steak
Pepper Steak
Chili - no beans. But my 85 year old cowboy father puts beans in his chile, SO THERE!
BBQ: the two varieties African American and German/Czech. AA if you want chicken or pork..../drool, Central Texas style does the best Brisket on the planet.
TexMex: Mexican food adapted to the grocery staples available, and adapted to the palate of Anglo Texans.
Mexican Food
Soul Food
Southern Comfort Food
Vietnamese: It is amazing to go to small restaurants on the coast and get your mind blown by the good food.
Chinese

Piotyr

Piotyr

In Chicago, we're known for hot dogs, deep dish pizza, and italian beef sandwiches.

So, you know, eating healthy.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Texas: Man where to start...

Chicken Fried Steak
Pepper Steak
Chili - no beans. But my 85 year old cowboy father puts beans in his chile, SO THERE!
BBQ: the two varieties African American and German/Czech. AA if you want chicken or pork..../drool, Central Texas style does the best Brisket on the planet.
TexMex: Mexican food adapted to the grocery staples available, and adapted to the palate of Anglo Texans.
Mexican Food
Soul Food
Southern Comfort Food
Vietnamese: It is amazing to go to small restaurants on the coast and get your mind blown by the good food.
Chinese
You're making me homesick :)

We made chicken fried steak just a couple of days ago.[DOUBLEPOST=1397146027,1397145962][/DOUBLEPOST]
And no, I do not work there and they're not paying me for saying this :p I just freakin love me some sausage kolaches.
It's impossible to find texas-style sausage kolaches up here. It's so bad that I bought a KitchenAid mixer, just so that I could make them myself

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

italian beef sandwiches.
What are this?

Shakey

Shakey

Lutefisk. It's not really as bad as some people make it out to be. The texture is a bit different from normal fish, but the taste isn't too bad.

I'm in northern Minnesota. Lots of Norwegians and Swedes settled up here.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Pepperoni rolls are a West Virginia tradition. If you're talking just Morgantown, it's french fries and bleu.

Jay

Jay

What are this?

Tress

Tress

Here in California we're known for having access to everything, but there are some things here that are better than most:

Sushi
Avocado (it goes with everything around here)
Fresh sourdough bread
Crab
Good chocolate
And, of course, wine. Napa Valley is amazing.

Also, one of the best things about food is California is how fresh it can be.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I do wish we could get a decent Philly Cheesesteak down here (for non-ridiculous prices) though.

Jay

Jay

I do wish we could get a decent Philly Cheesesteak down here (for non-ridiculous prices) though.
I'd love that too, I can't find anything decent in Montreal.

Piotyr

Piotyr

What are this?
Slow-cooked beef, thinly sliced and then stewed in italian au jus, then placed on a sandwich bun, preferably with giardiniera and possibly mozzarella cheese. Some people actually get the whole sandwich dipped in the au jus.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

One thing I miss a lot from living in Alaska is freshly smoked King Salmon. Like "just caught it in the nearby river" fresh.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Yeah, I was quite surprised to learn of the Czech ancestry in Texas. It was shortly after I'd been to the Czech Republic, too, so I got to try 'real' Czech food and its American evolution. It's all delicious.

Emrys

Emrys

Saskatchewan was settled heavily by immigrants from central Europe, so we have
cabbage rolls
perogies
shnitzel
spatzle
paprikash
goulash

I'm trying to inject a little Deep South into the cultural cuisine but frankly, grits don't hold a candle to spatzle.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The PD of our spanish station just said something in the hall and I had to put her to the question about it.

She said "I smell Chili con Carne with beans and cheese!"

But... "Chili con Carne" translates to "Chili with meat." This implies that the meat is separate, or added, to the chili. What she said translates literally to "Chili with meat and beans and cheese." But if the chili is independent of the meat, beans, and cheese... what do Mexicans think Chili is, I asked her? Tomato sauce with corn flour, garlic, oregano and cumin?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I'm trying to inject a little Deep South into the cultural cuisine but frankly, grits don't hold a candle to spatzle.
Periodically I like to get breakfast after a night on the town... One would think that Denny's or IHOP could figure out how to serve grits since both chains have at least 100 locations in Texas.

I'll have to doubt your view on spatzle, until I can try it myself.

Emrys

Emrys

Periodically I like to get breakfast after a night on the town... One would think that Denny's or IHOP could figure out how to serve grits since both chains have at least 100 locations in Texas.

I'll have to doubt your view on spatzle, until I can try it myself.
I can send you a bag and a good recipe.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I dearly miss the Kolache shop that was here. It was just some old electrician that took his grandmother's recipe and started cooking it from scratch. Dense, yeasty rolls with a rough ground Texas style sausage and a slice of cheddar cheese baked into it.....

Tress

Tress

...and a good recipe.
I'd be interested in the good recipe, if you're willing to share.

Just Me

Just Me

Well, I know it's generally seen as THE german food, but Bratwurst with Sauerkraut is actually typically for northern Bavaria and parts of Thuringia.
The Nürnberger Bratwurst, my regional specialty, is a trademarked recipe and only sausages produced in Nuremberg are allowed to use the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bratwurst

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

The PD of our spanish station just said something in the hall and I had to put her to the question about it.

But... "Chili con Carne" translates to "Chili with meat." This implies that the meat is separate, or added, to the chili. What she said translates literally to "Chili with meat and beans and cheese." But if the chili is independent of the meat, beans, and cheese... what do Mexicans think Chili is, I asked her? Tomato sauce with corn flour, garlic, oregano and cumin?
Chili is a pepper...chili con carne is a stew made with meat and peppers.

Emrys

Emrys

I'd be interested in the good recipe, if you're willing to share.
Of course. Do you want the recipe for the spatzle or the dish I make with spatzle?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Of course. Do you want the recipe for the spatzle or the dish I make with spatzle?
yes and yes.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

What did she say! Don't keep us in suspense!
Chili is a pepper...chili con carne is a stew made with meat and peppers.
Reasonable...

GasBandit

GasBandit

I dearly miss the Kolache shop that was here. It was just some old electrician that took his grandmother's recipe and started cooking it from scratch. Dense, yeasty rolls with a rough ground Texas style sausage and a slice of cheddar cheese baked into it.....
Man.. now I wish the Kolache place around here served them for more than just breakfast.[DOUBLEPOST=1397150011,1397149961][/DOUBLEPOST]
What did she say! Don't keep us in suspense!
Nothing worth mentioning. I was rather disappointed. She's usually fairly witty.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The one thing that does upset me, is when Donut shops sell pigs in a blanket and call them Kolaches.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

In my hometown, if someone talks about eating Cubans, they aren't talking about cannibalism. They're talking about cuban sandwiches! Or sometimes called cubanos.

A cuban sandwich is ham, roast pork, swiss cheese, pickles and mustard, pressed together on cuban bread. And that's it... there are some places that claim to sell cuban sandwiches, that add lettuce, tomato, salami, etc, and these are all imposters.

The secret really is in the bread, which is what most places outside of Tampa or Miami have a hard time producing. Cuban bread is very dense, made with lard, and usually baked with a water-soaked palm-frond on top to keep it from forming too much of a hard crust.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Here in Hawaii there's kalua pork, katsu chicken with fried or baked noodles, haupia, manapua/char siu bao, loco moco (white rice, a hamburger patty, and a fried egg topped with brown gravy), poke (pronounced po-kay), garlic shrimp from the shrimp trucks, malasadas, coco puffs from Liliha Bakery, taro rolls, and saimin - just to name a few.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Man I miss living in Houston. I still consider myself a Houstonian even though it is an 80 mile drive for me to enjoy international cuisine.

Tress

Tress

As sixpack said, yes and yes. :D

Emrys

Emrys

As sixpack said, yes and yes. :D
Ask and you shall receive. I'll dig up the recipes and get them to you and @sixpackshaker by this weekend.

Tress

Tress

Thanks!

tegid

tegid

Sooo, I play in another league, this is not regional as in 'a region in the US', but whatever:

From Spain:
- Paella (rice with meat, seafood, veggies, whatever, but always with a bit of saffron)
- Tapas (Varied small dishes, most of them fried, including but not limited to potatoes with spicy sauce - patatas bravas-, small fried fish -pescaíto frito-, small squids, battered cuttlefish)
- 'Embutidos', which are hard, cold sausages and other pork products, in a style that you may also know from italy (Ham - Jamón serrano - , chorizo, longaniza/fuet etc)
From catalonia (i.e. my region, the capital of which is Barcelona):
- Pa amb tomaquet: We eat 'embutidos', the spanish ones and some specific to here, and cheese with bread loaves on which we spread/rub tomato and some oil and salt.
- 'Mató' which is a cheese similar to mascarpone but less salty, with honey, is a typical dessert
- 'Crema catalana', a close cousin of Crème brûlée
- Some other food I don't really like such as 'trinxat', basically mashed cabbage, potatoes and bacon
- Escalivada: Slowly roasted peppers, eggplant, onion and tomatoes, eaten cold and sliced in strips. Very nice with anchovies, a bit meh otherwise.

I'm so envious of those awesome things you have: subs, cheesesteak, basically all tex-mex food. You can find some of those here, but it's hard to find really good places...

Tress

Tress

I'm so envious of those awesome things you have: subs, cheesesteak, basically all tex-mex food. You can find some of those here, but it's hard to find really good places...
I love Spanish cuisine. God, your entire list sounded delicious! Now I'm on the hunt for a good Spanish restaurant around here.

(It's almost lunch here, can you tell?)

BErt

@PatrThom forgot Verners.
Also Coney Islands.

thispic.jpg

When visiting Detroit you must:
1) Go to both American and Lafayette Coney Island
2) Have one coney with everything from each restaurant
3) Forever swear your allegiance to one restaurant
4) If choosing American, live the rest of your life with the fact that you are wrong

PatrThom

PatrThom

@PatrThom forgot Verners.
I forgot Vernors.
...but I remembered Faygo!
Also Coney Islands.
I did not forget Coney Islands. They're a big thing, but I just did not think them sufficiently unique to Michigan.

If you're wondering what there is to see/do in MI, a local radio guy teamed up with a bunch of yahoos to make a series about what there is to do and see in MI. You should check a few of 'em out.

--Patrick

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Are they really right next to each other?

Wow. I actually really want to do this. Is there any noticable difference between the two, or is there just a crazy alliance that people do?

BErt

I did not forget Coney Islands. They're a big thing, but I just did not think them sufficiently unique to Michigan.
--Patrick
Maybe not generally unique to Michigan, but those two specifically and their history. And she was also asking for specific places. Plus your list covered anything else I could think of!

Are they really right next to each other?

Wow. I actually really want to do this. Is there any noticable difference between the two, or is there just a crazy alliance that people do?
They are right next to each other and there are definitely noticable differences between the two, they use entirely different chili recipes and hots dogs. The two places were opened by Greek immigrant brothers so it started as a family "rivalry" and is a cute enough story that Food Network has done a few pieces on it for different shows.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Ohhh, now I really want to try them with there being a difference between the two.

Guys, I just really like food. I want to eat everything on the planet. Everything in this thread has made my mouth water.

Jay

Jay

Quebec cuisine

Poutine - You should know what the fuck this is at this point. Fries, cheese curds... Jesus' gravy. @Adam wants to come back to Montreal to eat more of this I'm sure.

Montreal Bagels - Bagels? Really??? Yep! We have legendary bagels. Everyone who knows right, knows that. Heck, some people make a living just bringing cases of these from Montreal to the States as quickly as possible and sell them off at 10$ US each. (they cost .50 bulk each)

Tire-Neige (Sugar Shack) - Breakfast-y foods.... with a final salute to your clogged arteries... 100% maple syrup... on snow. IT'S AWESOME... and all you can eat from start to end.

Quebec Cheese - Known for a variety of local cheese... Quebec has a lot to offer to cheese lovers.

Montreal Smoked Meat - Don’t call it pastrami. Montreal’s sandwich of choice bears some similarities to the New York deli specialty, but there are key differences, too, in the process and spices used to cure the beef brisket and in the resulting flavor. Epic local places provide the world possibly the best smoked meat in the world. @Adam Do you remember Reubens? Haven't been since...

Pouding Chomeur (poor man's pudding) - Maple Syrup pudding cake... need I say more?

And many other things.... but these are the big ones...

unless I get 10 brofists....

Covar

Covar

HNNN, I love BBQ so much! You're speaking my language with this. One day I even want to go on a BBQ tour around the US - start in Texas and squirrel through Kansas City, Memphis and ending in the Carolina's. EAT ALL THE BBQ!!! :heart:
I assume your last stop will be in eastern North Carolina, saving the best for last?

For those that pretend not to care, SC uses mustard based sauces (those freaks). Western NC is a catsup based sauce, eastern NC is vinegar based.

PatrThom

PatrThom

This implies that the meat is separate, or added, to the chili.
Anyone will tell you that TRUE chili has no beans in it. I have a recipe for that. I've taken it to an informal tasting. Men loved it (though they called it "dog food"), the women were nonplussed.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

For Jersey specifically? Fat Cats [et al], and pork roll. Sometimes both. Mmmmm....

For the NY/NJ area? You're never going to get a better pizza or bagel anywhere in the world. I know, I've tired. (Sorry, Jay, I've had bagels in Montreal, and New York bagels> Montreal bagels any day.) Plus with the large immigrant population of...just about everyone, if you know where to look in the 5 Boroughs, you can usually find some of the best authentic ____ food.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Haha, ending in North Carolina probably because it's the furthest away from me. ;) I won't deny though, I'm not a BBQ snob, I like all styles, all meats. I would just be so excited to have the 'real' thing. :D[DOUBLEPOST=1397157643,1397157437][/DOUBLEPOST]I shouldn't say snob, because everyone can have different tastes.

I just don't have a picky palate. =^^=

Emrys

Emrys

Quebec cuisine

Poutine - You should know what the fuck this is at this point. Fries, cheese curds... Jesus' gravy. @Adam wants to come back to Montreal to eat more of this I'm sure.

Montreal Bagels - Bagels? Really??? Yep! We have legendary bagels. Everyone who knows right, knows that. Heck, some people make a living just bringing cases of these from Montreal to the States as quickly as possible and sell them off at 10$ US each. (they cost .50 bulk each)

Tire-Neige (Sugar Shack) - Breakfast-y foods.... with a final salute to your clogged arteries... 100% maple syrup... on snow. IT'S AWESOME... and all you can eat from start to end.

Quebec Cheese - Known for a variety of local cheese... Quebec has a lot to offer to cheese lovers.

Montreal Smoked Meat - Don’t call it pastrami. Montreal’s sandwich of choice bears some similarities to the New York deli specialty, but there are key differences, too, in the process and spices used to cure the beef brisket and in the resulting flavor. Epic local places provide the world possibly the best smoked meat in the world. @Adam Do you remember Reubens? Haven't been since...

Pouding Chomeur (poor man's pudding) - Maple Syrup pudding cake... need I say more?

Having lived in St-Hubert for 4 years, I can vouch that everything on this list is correct. And now I'm drooling.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Cheese curds. Bratwurst with kraut and secret stadium sauce.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Sorry, Jay, I've had bagels in Montreal, and New York bagels> Montreal bagels any day.
I grew up in a heavy orthodox Jewish neighborhood. We could get some nice bagels down at the Bialy Bakery (which isn't there any more).

--Patrick

Emrys

Emrys

New York bagels> Montreal bagels any day.
Celt Z, I love you like a little sister but you're wrong. You will be visited tonight by the Ghost of Bagels Past to show you the error of your ways.

Tress

Tress

If one of you silly Canadians would like to share a recipe for that Pouding Chomeur, I would be very appreciative. My online searches came up with mixed results.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Emrys, will all due respect, I shall stick to my original position.

Even after you send your minions to gnaw on my tender parts. :Leyla:

Emrys

Emrys

Emrys, will all due respect, I shall stick to my original position.

Even after you send your minions to gnaw on my tender parts. :Leyla:
As much as it pains me, you must be shown the error of your ways.

Doomweasels, attack!

1016146_584419871580635_846277810_n.jpg

Tress

Tress

TIL: A regional food of NJ is Celt Z's tender parts.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well, her ring, anyway.

It's shiny. Soooooo shiiiiiny.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

TIL: A regional food of NJ is Celt Z's tender parts.
:unibrow:

Emrys

Emrys

Halforums - your source of TMI since 2009.

Though, some sources of information are much, much better than others. :unibrow:

Jay

Jay

Sorry, Jay, I've had bagels in Montreal, and New York bagels> Montreal bagels any day.
Where?[DOUBLEPOST=1397159056,1397158873][/DOUBLEPOST]
If one of you silly Canadians would like to share a recipe for that Pouding Chomeur, I would be very appreciative. My online searches came up with mixed results.
http://qc.allrecipes.ca/recette/6022/pouding-ch-meur.aspx?o_is=LV

Jay

Jay

Celt Z, I love you like a little sister but you're wrong. You will be visited tonight by the Ghost of Bagels Past to show you the error of your ways.
My daughter and I react to reading celts comment..

PatrThom

PatrThom

I always knew @Jay leaned a little to the left.
I just never knew it was ninety whole degrees.

--Patrick

Jay

Jay

Merci mille fois
Kindly note, the best recipes for this are always closely kept secrets. Homemade PC is usually good but people who make the best PC usually sell it. For good reason.

Celt Z

Celt Z

It was 2001, I'm supposed to remember the name of the place? I was there for a convention, not the bagels! Anyway, I found some of the photos from the area we were in, but none with the bakery in the shot. I do have a picture of a loaf of bread made to look like a turtle, though...

Emrys

Emrys

My daughter and I react to reading celts comment..

May I say again how incredibly adorably your daughter is and how I think she would benefit from a doomweasel of her own?[DOUBLEPOST=1397159930,1397159862][/DOUBLEPOST]
I assume your last stop will be in eastern North Carolina, saving the best for last?

For those that pretend not to care, SC uses mustard based sauces (those freaks). Western NC is a catsup based sauce, eastern NC is vinegar based.
Are those hushpuppies?

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Huge lobsters!!

(And Poutine!!)

What is fry sauce?

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

What is fry sauce?
At it's core it's ketchup and mayo mixed together. But, depending on where you are in Utah, there's other things added, pickles, pickle juice is a popular one.

It's delicious and is my preferred dipping sauce for french fries.

Jay

Jay

It was 2001, I'm supposed to remember the name of the place? I was there for a convention, not the bagels! Anyway, I found some of the photos from the area we were in, but none with the bakery in the shot. I do have a picture of a loaf of bread made to look like a turtle, though...
From this post I just quoted typed from your own hands, you came to beautiful Montreal... back in 2001.

And the bagels you ate... were nameless bagels given a convention you were attending while in Montreal?

And you judge these sad bagels as the best Montreal has to offer to NY Bagels?

St. Viateur Bagels ... Fairmount Bagels.... Cote St-Luc Bagels.... this is the stuff.

What you ate... are NORMAL BAGELS we give to poor people!

Case solved.

GasBandit

GasBandit

HOLD IT

No, no, no, mon frere, this will not do at all.

You have a conflict of interest plain as the nose on your face,

and you cannot prove that what she ate were not the so-called "Montreal" style bagels.

So I'm afraid we're going to have to let the witness's testimony stand.

Emrys

Emrys

Gentlemen, she's already been mauled by a doomweasel and now you want her to listen to you two doorknobs? Isn't that cruel and unusual punishment?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gentlemen, she's already been mauled by a doomweasel and now you want her to listen to you two doorknobs? Isn't that cruel and unusual punishment?
I'm sorry, only people with Turnabout animated gifs can participate in this conversation.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

If more arguments on the internet were in the form of Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney characters, that would be amazing. They'd actually not be general wastes of time.

Emrys

Emrys

I'm sorry, only people with Turnabout animated gifs can participate in this conversation.
bite my.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

If it's shiny and metal, I dare say the doomweasels will probably beat me to biting it.

Emrys

Emrys

Shiny or not, I dare say they already have.

Covar

Covar

May I say again how incredibly adorably your daughter is and how I think she would benefit from a doomweasel of her own?[DOUBLEPOST=1397159930,1397159862][/DOUBLEPOST]
Are those hushpuppies?
They are indeed. The good kind too.

Emrys

Emrys

They are indeed. The good kind too.
What makes them the good kind?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

This is the hush puppies that a local catfish place made. They are not the good kind. My brothers called them Lincoln Logs. I don't remember if it was for the looks or the taste.

But I do miss them from time to time.[DOUBLEPOST=1397163266,1397163168][/DOUBLEPOST]That reminds me more East Texas food.

Frito Pies
Fried Catfish.../drool[DOUBLEPOST=1397163387][/DOUBLEPOST]If you have not seen a Frito Pie

Cajungal

Cajungal

I've never seen a cylindrical hush puppy. I don't trust it...

Adam

Adam

Quebec cuisine

Speaking of which, I'm back in Montreal at the end of May for 4 days :D

Celt Z

Celt Z

Jay, since I cannot prove or disprove that the bagel in question was from any of those places, although it was made and purchased in Montreal to be sure, all I can offer you is...

...a boot to the head.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I've never seen a cylindrical hush puppy. I don't trust it...
That would be wise. They finally started selling the sweet cornbread dumplings too.

Emrys

Emrys

Jay, since I cannot prove or disprove that the bagel in question was from any of those places, although it was made and purchased in Montreal to be sure, all I can offer you is...

...a boot to the head.
Your offer to Jay is appropriate, though your opinion of Montreal bagels is still wrong.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Your offer to Jay is appropriate, though your opinion of Montreal bagels is still wrong.
*shrug* It just means more NY bagels for me, then! :minionhappy:

GasBandit

GasBandit

There was this place, long since closed, in Colorado Springs called "Lotsabagels," they had the best potato bagels ever. They were so big and fluffy they had no hole at all. I used to eat those things like crazy. When I worked for Oracle I'd just go grab a dozen on my way in to work in the morning and nosh on them all day long.

Eriol

Eriol

Saskatchewan was settled heavily by immigrants from central Europe, so we have
cabbage rolls
perogies
shnitzel
spatzle
paprikash
goulash
Not to mention you specifically living practically next door to the best freakin' restaurant I've probably ever been to, run by a chef from Peru: http://holeinthewallrestaurant.ca/

Reservation only. At the end of a gravel road in an unincorporated hamlet. Expect to be there for 3+ hours. And holy crap, nom nom nom!!!!

Covar

Covar

From the picture, the shape. Oblong puppies tend to be a little bit sweeter and softer than the round ones, which tend to be crunchier, grainier and a stronger cornmeal flavor. Obviously that's not just because of the shape, but in my head I tend to associated the style of the recipe with the shape.

MindDetective

MindDetective

My local food: Marionberries

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Lobster, lobster rolls, McLobster sandwiches, lobster tails, lobster ravioli
Mussels, curried mussels, beer mussels
India Pale Ales
Fiddleheads
Dulse
Blueberry grunt
Donairs

Tress

Tress

I fucking love this thread. But it's making me hungry.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, thanks to this thread, I discovered the local Kolache place sells what ever is left over from the morning for half price after noon.

I also learned about BACON CHEESE KOLACHES.

tegid

tegid

But... didn't you have lunch already? :p

Enviado desde mi GT-I8190 mediante Tapatalk

Cog

Cog

Ceviche

Cuy Asado

Arroz y Menestra

Adam

Adam

Saganaki:

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

For Jersey specifically? Fat Cats [et al], and pork roll. Sometimes both. Mmmmm....
I'm going to add cheesesteaks to that list. Specifically in southern NJ since it's closer to Philly.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'm sorry. :(

Teeny moment of pride that I actually made a thread that matters, though.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Alright, here in Newfoundland we have a few dishes. I might remember more after this!

Toutons: Fresh bread dough fried in oil or butter. A breakfast must. Serve with molasses or jam!

Partridge Berry anything: Tarts, pies, jams, muffins, krinkles, etc.

Figgy Duff: Basically you mix your ingredients (brown sugar, raisins, etc.) and put them in a cheeze cloth bag. Shove that in a can or pot and boil.

Fish and Brewis: Salt cod and hard tack/hard bread. Soak over night together. Boil seperatly..mash together.

Flipper Pie: Made from harp seals and one of the many reasons why Newfoundlanders hate people like Pamela ANderson, Ellen Degeneres and Paul McCartney. They trying to steal our lively hood AND food!

Jiggs Dinner: A typical sunday dinner. Has salt beef, potatos, carrot and cabbage (ick) boiled together.

Scrunchions: I tihnk this may exist in Quebec as well? It like...big skin or meat thats fried?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Yo yo yo like where's the bakeapple Sin?

LittleSin

LittleSin

Yo yo yo like where's the bakeapple Sin?
Totally forgot about bakeapples...mainly because I'm not a huge fan!

Jay

Jay

dayum_dayum_dayum___by_mystic_dranomimon-d5erzlw.gif

The Adventures of Jay and Adam : Part Deux ???

Tell me details![DOUBLEPOST=1397176518,1397176379][/DOUBLEPOST]
Cuy Asado
Looks like there's rats in the kitchen.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

There are two things that - as far as I know - are almost exclusively here in the Maritimes:

Garlic Fingers
Donairs

I discovered the hard way about the former when I tried ordering my usual pizza and garlic fingers when I had first moved to Toronto. No one had a clue what I was talking about and kept asking if I meant garlic bread or garlic sticks.

Gared

Gared

Hmm... let's see. What is the regional food of Seattle? Oh... that's right. Really fresh mussels, clams, crab, salmon, steelhead, and geoducks. And if we range a bit further east, there's Applets and Cotlets, which are a strange jelly like candy with apple and/or apricot bits in them, depending upon the type of 'let. And apparently we have a Seattle dog which is a hot dog on a pretzel bun with cream cheese and caramelized onions - but no one really knows about that one. I really wish we were better known for more, but that's what you get when you live on a northern coast line, I suppose.

Cog

Cog

Looks like there's rats in the kitchen.
It's a guinea pig.

klew

klew

There are two things that - as far as I know - are almost exclusively here in the Maritimes:

Garlic Fingers

I discovered the hard way about the former when I tried ordering my usual pizza and garlic fingers when I had first moved to Toronto. No one had a clue what I was talking about and kept asking if I meant garlic bread or garlic sticks.
There is a pizza shop near me that makes excellent chees-ey garlic bread that looks extremely similar to this.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's a guinea pig.
I knew I'd heard the word before.

--Patrick

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

This is the hush puppies that a local catfish place made. They are not the good kind. My brothers called them Lincoln Logs. I don't remember if it was for the looks or the taste.

But I do miss them from time to time.[DOUBLEPOST=1397163266,1397163168][/DOUBLEPOST]That reminds me more East Texas food.

Frito Pies
Fried Catfish.../drool[DOUBLEPOST=1397163387][/DOUBLEPOST]If you have not seen a Frito Pie

My wife loves the Catfish King things... they're not hushpuppies to me. We do the Hushpuppy Olympics here each fall, and those would be laughed right out of the competition.

Frito Pies are a staple of my Friday night football excursions. Love a chilly night with a high school football game, a large Coke and a Pie. I'm ready for fall already.

Telephius

Telephius

Garlic Fingers
Donairs

We have donairs in Winnipeg but I wouldn't classify them as a regional food in my province. Also from what I understand from my friends who have moved to and away from Toronto, they do things a bit different from the rest of Canada hehe.

As for Winnipeg foods:

Winnipeg Rye Bread is pretty well known and I have heard people will import the bread(particularly expat Manitobans.) I love rye bread.

Kubasa and Perogies are pretty popular here due to heavy Ukranian population.

I didn't realize Fat Boy style burgers were a Winnipeg thing but:

http://www.usedeverywhere.com/spotlight-on-winnipeg-fat-boy-burgers/

Maple taffy at Festival du Voyageur gets long lines:

Also Slurpees from 7-11 are a staple among Winnipeggers and are drank all year round. From Wikipedia:

"Worldwide consumption[edit]

Slurpees are offered in many but not all covered countries. Canadians purchase an average of 30 million drinks per year. Manitoba was crowned the Slurpee Capital of the World for the fourteenth year in a row in 2013. 7-Eleven stores across Winnipeg sell an average of 188,833 Slurpee drinks per month. The rest of Canada sells an average of 179,700 per month, which makes Winnipeggers the world leader of Slurpee sales. Unlike their counterparts in America, Canadian Slurpees are not injected with air."

Also:
http://metronews.ca/news/winnipeg/978460/winnipeggers-fill-their-own-slurpee-cups-with-gusto/

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

winnipeggers-fill-their-own-slurpee-cups-with-gusto/
:eek: Poor @Gusto!

Eriol

Eriol

Donairs
Donairs are huge in the West as well. I will give credit to the Maritimes for making the Canadian adaptation of the middle-eastern food (or Greek, as a Gyro is practically the same) (Wiki), but they are huge in the west as well. Mr. Donair, Subcity Donair, to name just two CHAINS that have them out here.

And Sin, Cod Tongue! Had some when we were out there house-hunting. Was actually pretty good.

Emrys

Emrys

I dunno. He might enjoy it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Thanks to this thread, I've had chicken enchiladas, chicken fried steak, and shrimp enchiladas in the last two days.

Emrys

Emrys

Still trying to inject southern cuisine into the local area, so I'm making gumbo and cornbread for a potluck at work tomorrow. Should be interesting.[DOUBLEPOST=1397611539,1397611393][/DOUBLEPOST]@sixpackshaker and @Tress, I haven't forgotten about your recipe request. Let me get through this week and I'll get it for you this weekend.

Tress

Tress

@sixpackshaker and @Tress, I haven't forgotten about your recipe request. Let me get through this week and I'll get it for you this weekend.
Thanks! There's certainly no rush, I can wait as long as you'd like.

Shakey

Shakey

Lots of local ads flying around for smelt fry's right now. For some reason it's a pretty popular fundraiser in this area. It's basically just fried minnows. I never learned to like them.

Emrys

Emrys

Thanks! There's certainly no rush, I can wait as long as you'd like.
:notes:In the year 2525, if @Tress is still alive, if @sixpackshaker has survived, they may find...:notes:

Bubble181

Bubble181

Coincidentally, so am I. Except it's not "back". Hmmm.

As for "best pizza's in the world": dear Celt Z, the Italians would like a word.

As for local food - the obvious ones first:

Belgian Fries: French Fries, but correctly named.
Belgian Chocolate: it's what all the women want*
Belgian Beer: it's what all the men want*
Belgian Waffles: because waffling's what our politicians do best
Vol-au-vent: it may seem strange as this is such a "classic" all over the world, but yes, this is originally Belgian - not French. Again. Bloody French.
Bread. Seriously. There's good bread in France, Germany, most of the Netherlands, and Belgium. All the rest of the world seems only to know how to make crappy mushy whitish stuff only fit for toasting. Yes, even your "regular" bread. Believe me - it doesn't compare. At all.
Speculoos. Type of gingerbread but better.

There's plenty more - many "classic" dishes, usually thought to be "French cuisine" are actually Belgian in origin or have been shaped by Belgian customs and habits.

Special mention: Dürüm

*Not meant in a sexually discriminatory way. please feel free to love both, as I do, unrelated to past, present or future sexuality or gender.

Jay

Jay

Coincidentally, so am I.
What date?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Montréal 16 & 17th of May, Ottawa the 18th, Toronto the 19th. That's the nights we're sleeping there, which day we'll spend in which city may vary slightly :)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Since they opened one in Morgantown last month, I'm gonna lay claim to the Primanti Bros. sammich as being from "here" :)

That's fries and slaw in there. You're welcome.

drifter

drifter

Not sure it exactly counts as regional food, but I ate at this local chain called Bruxie. They make waffle sandwiches. They are fucking delicious. Highly recommend the BBQ pulled pork sandwich.

Celt Z

Celt Z

As for "best pizza's in the world": dear Celt Z, the Italians would like a word.
I was always told that, despite sharing a name, traditional Italian pizza and North American-style pizza are like apples and oranges. Isn't Italian pizza more like an actual pie, mostly deep-dish in a less bread-like crust and a lot of tomato? I'm willing to amend my statement to include an asterisk or the modifier "North American-style".

But I have had the more commonly-excepted North American-style pizza in almost every US state I've been to, and a number of international locations, including Great Britain, Ireland, Canada* and China, and I still stand by my assessment that NY pizza is best. I have known a number of Italians in my life to agree, most of which have tried both.

(*Yes, Jay, some of that pizza was in Montreal, and no, I don't know where it was from because I didn't place the order. 13. YEARS. AGO. I swear to god, if I ever go to Montreal again, I'm saving all my receipts.)[DOUBLEPOST=1397664906,1397664725][/DOUBLEPOST]
Since they opened one in Morgantown last month, I'm gonna lay claim to the Primanti Bros. sammich as being from "here" :)

That's fries and slaw in there. You're welcome.
That's like a mini-version of a Fat Cat! Unless that's not hamburger, then it's more like a Fat....something. I'd have to look at the menu.

Covar

Covar

NY Pizza is the best pizza. That's a fact. The style is the best, and it's best in NY due to the water. While on the subject, I would like to inform people who make Californian style pies that when you feel the need to smother you pizza with toppings all you're doing is trying masking the fact that your pizza is pretty terrible.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I still stand by my assessment that NY pizza is best.
Of course you realize, this means WAR!

*lights the @HowDroll signal*
:popcorn:

Celt Z

Celt Z

Of course you realize, this means WAR!

*lights the @HowDroll signal*
If we're going to do it, at least do it right! ;)

Piotyr

Piotyr

NY Pizza is a greasy, flimsy mess that you have to fold in half to even eat. It's a street food.

Chicago Pizza is a restaurant food that needs a knife and fork.

Both are fantastic in their own way.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Chicago pizza is best pizza (pizza in italy was meh)

Eriol

Eriol

I've had italian-style in a place in Calgary, and it was good. Very different than "North American" pizza, to the point I don't compare the two, THAT different.

Never been to N.Y. so haven't had their pizza.

I HAVE been to Chicago, when my brother lived there. Had outright the best pizza I've ever had there. Period. A little hole-in-the-wall place in the 'burbs called Tony's Pizza Peddler's (I think, it was 12 years ago). And yes, after 12 years, I still remember the place. Holy crap good.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Speculoos. Type of gingerbread but better.
This is available at Trader Joe's markets in the USA (and presumably elsewhere), if you don't happen to live in Belgium but want to try it.

--Patrick

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I was always told that, despite sharing a name, traditional Italian pizza and North American-style pizza are like apples and oranges. Isn't Italian pizza more like an actual pie, mostly deep-dish in a less bread-like crust and a lot of tomato?
Actually the pizzas I had in Italy were very thin crust, tomato, basil and cheese (margherita). I had one that also had anchovies on it at the Vatican. But the crust is so thin and light that you can eat the entire pizza without feeling like you're going to die. It's just a meal rather than a crazy challenge.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I HAVE been to Chicago, when my brother lived there. Had outright the best pizza I've ever had there. Period. A little hole-in-the-wall place in the 'burbs called Tony's Pizza Peddler's (I think, it was 12 years ago). And yes, after 12 years, I still remember the place. Holy crap good.
We made a point once of stopping by Gino's East on a Chicago trip back when I was in college. We pooled our money but the best we could do was just a plain old cheese pizza. It was still the best pizza I've ever had. It was deep dish, but it cut, served, and stood up like a pecan pie. The three of us each ate one slice and were done, we took the box back to our room. My buddy who was by to visit ate the last piece in the morning and commented on how good it was. My roommate arrived later that morning, and he actually ate the discarded crusts out of the box. None of that thing went to waste.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

Actually the pizzas I had in Italy were very thin crust, tomato, basil and cheese (margherita). I had one that also had anchovies on it at the Vatican. But the crust is so thin and light that you can eat the entire pizza without feeling like you're going to die. It's just a meal rather than a crazy challenge.
I'm guessing she's talking about Sicilian pizza, which can be similar to Chicago style deep dish (and Wikipedia claims Sicilian style pizza is somewhat popular in Jersey, so it makes sense)

GasBandit

GasBandit

I like my pizza to neither be a cracker nor a casserole.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I'm guessing she's talking about Sicilian pizza, which can be similar to Chicago style deep dish (and Wikipedia claims Sicilian style pizza is somewhat popular in Jersey, so it makes sense)
Yep I used to get Sicilian pizza when I lived in NJ, too. Strangely enough I didn't see that at all in Sicily. The area around where my husband was stationed had a pizza that was more like a pie with a double crust rather than Sicilian style like I had growing up.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Oh my God now I want pizza.

Down here you can try boudin and cracklin. And of course there's all the Cajun food. Thing is, a lot of restaurants serve kind of lousy Cajun food, because they try to make it appealing to a lot of people. That generally means less seasoning (not necessarily spiciness, but flavor too). Your best bet is making a friend and going to their house for dinner.

The worst place in town for seafood is Randall's. People go there to see authentic Cajun dancing, but the food is ridiculous. They think that coating everything in cayenne pepper = authentic. You can't even taste the seafood, which makes me think it's probably not fresh.

Right now the places selling live crawfish are open again, but they're expensive because of all the cold weather we've been having. But a crawfish boil is about as authentic a South Louisiana experience as you can get. Throw some potatoes, corn, and garlic cloves in there. Cold cold beer. Gloves to protect your dry, cracked hands from spice (for me, at least). Best night ever.

Celt Z

Celt Z

We have Sicilian all over the place, but I was told traditional Italian was more like Chicago deep-dish. I never thought of Sicilian and deep-dish as the same, since Sicilian is usually a thick but fluffy crust while deep-dish tends to be very dense. Is everything I know a lie?!? (Except that NY pizza is still best, at least until I get to Italy to be sure.) ;)

Covar

Covar

The pizza I regularly make is a Sicilian. Very tasty stuff, and best I've been able to do homemade.

Piotyr

Piotyr

PIZZA

Sicilian pizza:

Italian pizza:

New York pizza:

Chicago pizza:

Emrys

Emrys

Right now the places selling live crawfish are open again, but they're expensive because of all the cold weather we've been having. But a crawfish boil is about as authentic a South Louisiana experience as you can get. Throw some potatoes, corn, and garlic cloves in there. Cold cold beer. Gloves to protect your dry, cracked hands from spice (for me, at least). Best night ever.
I'm going to do this for my co-workers, except I'm doing shrimp instead of crawfish. Potatoes, corn, greens, cornbread with beignets and café au lait afterwards.

On a good note, the gumbo went over well at the potluck today, until the spiciness hit their wussy Canada palates. Then there was crying. ;)

Cajungal

Cajungal

On a good note, the gumbo went over well at the potluck today, until the spiciness hit their wussy Canada palates. Then there was crying. ;)
Keep exposing them to it. They'll get there. :D Boiled shrimp is also deeelicious.

(I know Cajun food isn't just about spiciness, but man I love cayenne pepper.)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It is definitely crawdad boiling season in East Texas. A local sports bar does great mudbugs every Friday during the spring. And several of my friends trade off weekends.

PatrThom

PatrThom

19duknjm1uzqegif.gif

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

NY Pizza is the best pizza. That's a fact.
You only say that because you've never had Chicago-style Deep-dish pizza.

Tress

Tress

Regarding California-style pizza, I just wanted to clarify... that it is indeed terrible. NY style FTW.

Emrys

Emrys

Oh good, a pizza war instead of a steak war.

drifter

drifter

Medium-rare deep dish is where it's at.

Tress

Tress

Medium-rare deep dish is where it's at.
Do you eat that sitting or standing?

drifter

drifter

Sitting, with a side of Quiznos.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Sitting, with a side of Quiznos.
Well the market has spoken and Subway won. Quiznos is just about dead now.

drifter

drifter

Bubble181

Bubble181

This is available at Trader Joe's markets in the USA (and presumably elsewhere), if you don't happen to live in Belgium but want to try it.

--Patrick
This is the butter based on it, not the actual cookie type. Normal speculoos/speculaas (I can fight over that one with AmE if you want, it's a Belgian/Dutch thing) is hard and baked or soft and baked. The speculoos paste is....also nice, I admit, but not really the same.

PatrThom

PatrThom

This is the butter based on it, not the actual cookie type.
They carry the cookies, too. :)

--Patrick

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Really? 5 pages, and I've got to be the one to break out the Low Country Boil?

Comes in spicy and tame versions. So good, especially in the summertime, with a nice cold beer.

I need to shop around at some of the smaller restaurants to find out the local specialties, but that one's the one that jumped out at me. We're something of a melting pot here.

Also, fuck Paula Deen, and her over-priced bullshit. I've gotten the same chow for a third of the price from Shoneys. But tourists DO love her... *eyeroll*

Jay

Jay

Dan come to Montreal

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Dan come to Montreal
Jay, send me money to come to Montreal...

PatrThom

PatrThom

Please come to Boston in the Springtime.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Going back to Buffalo regional foods, my parents sent me a box of sponge candy for Easter and I am in heaven. Mmmmmm deliciousness.

Also Sahlen's hot dogs.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

My mom sent me a box of Zitner's Butter Krak eggs. I love them so much! It's a buttercream egg with coconut inside, plus toasted coconut in the chocolate. They are so good.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I CHANGE MY VOTE

I want my pizza to be A CAKE.

Covar

Covar

I just found out that root beer is almost universally loathed outside the US, apparently it tastes like medicine to many people.

Too bad for them, more for me.
HAHA THOSE FOOLS!!

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm with them. I can't stand root beer.

Shakey

Shakey

Root Beer is great, as long as it's not Barq's.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I like it occasionally. Not every day. Too sweet for my taste.

Eriol

Eriol

I just found out that root beer is almost universally loathed outside the US, apparently it tastes like medicine to many people.
Loved in Canada as well. Many good brands. There are worse than Barq's though. PLENTY better, but there are worse.

Dirona

Dirona

Woo birch beer!

Cog

Cog

What is root beer?

GasBandit

GasBandit

What is root beer?
It's a carbonated sugary beverage similar to cola that gets its unique taste from being made from the root or bark of the Sassafras tree. In days past (And in some western/cowboy movies) it was called "Sarsaparilla." (Pronounced Sass-Puh-rilla). In addition to its distinctive taste, it's also known for its tendency to foam more than ordinary cola.

Common brands for it are Barq's, A&W, and IBC.

It's kind of a north american thing.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I like Barqs. Barqs has bite.

PatrThom

PatrThom

...and Hires!
I like Barqs. Barqs has bite.
Barq's is the only commercially available* root beer that contains caffeine. The rest of 'em are caffeine-free.

--Patrick
*i.e., "popular"

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I drank Barqs when I wanted something different that still fed my addiction.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about Hires. And Mug!

Dei

Dei

There's a brewery/restaurant nearby that makes their own root beer and it is amazing.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's a carbonated sugary beverage similar to cola that gets its unique taste from being made from the root or bark of the Sassafras tree. In days past (And in some western/cowboy movies) it was called "Sarsaparilla." (Pronounced Sass-Puh-rilla). In addition to its distinctive taste, it's also known for its tendency to foam more than ordinary cola.

It's kind of a north american thing.
It's also worth noting that outside of the United States, the reason people hate it is because Sassafras oil is used to flavor medicine, sort of like how we do it with grape or cherry.

Ironically, it's actually kind of hard to get Sassafras oil in the US because it's a scheduled substance. This is because it's ALSO used for making MDMA. You can still get it, but it's expensive as hell and you can't import it without a license. If you do, the DEA will break into your fucking house and arrest you.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's also worth noting that outside of the United States, the reason people hate it is because Sassafras oil is used to flavor medicine, sort of like how we do it with grape or cherry.
images.jpeg

it's actually kind of hard to get Sassafras oil in the US because it's a scheduled substance.
It is kind of easy to get Sassafrass tea concentrate, though.

--Patrick

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Seeing that soda reminds me of one I haven't had in ages! I think it's only found in PA/NJ/MD.
birch beer.jpg

Celt Z

Celt Z

Seeing that soda reminds me of one I haven't had in ages! I think it's only found in PA/NJ/MD.
View attachment 14644
Mmmmm... we have a case of that in the garage!

Cog

Cog

Here you can't find root beer in any place. But I can find orange juice from california. Who buys that? It's orange juice four times the price than the ones squeezed in the store.

Gared

Gared

Here you can't find root beer in any place. But I can find orange juice from california. Who buys that? It's orange juice four times the price than the ones squeezed in the store.
Squeezed in the store... that's an interesting concept.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Eating fruit > drinking fruit

GasBandit

GasBandit

At a guess, American tourists and expats?

Cog

Cog

At a guess, American tourists and expats?
But that thing isn't orange juice anymore. Maybe it was a long time ago. That thing taste artificial.

GasBandit

GasBandit

But that thing isn't orange juice anymore. Maybe it was a long time ago. That thing taste artificial.
Just like we like it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Squeezed in the store... that's an interesting concept.
http://www.orchidislandjuice.com/

I keep meaning to check them out, if they have any local(ish) distribution. Rather than squeeze all their juice at harvest time, they put away all the oranges, and then break them out to squeeze small batches all year long. It's much more expensive comparatively, but I keep meaning to get a jug so I can try it.

--Patrick

Dirona

Dirona

View attachment 14644
And, apparently, Newfoundland. I've never seen it anywhere else in Canada but there.

evilmike

evilmike

Bubble181

Bubble181

Root beer was one of my greatest surprises first time in the US. Yummy!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Root beer was one of my greatest surprises first time in the US. Yummy!
Did you put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it? If you haven't had a rootbeer float, you aren't getting the full experience.

Eriol

Eriol

Believe it or not, a BEER float is a great thing too. Yes I know it sounds really weird, and it is pretty weird, but I tried it, and it was great. Odd, but great. Pour out a bottle of something similar to Rickard's Red (that was what it was originally, and others that are close work fine) and a big scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream. And eat/drink it kind of like you would a Root Beer one. COMPLETELY different flavour, but it does work. You wouldn't want anything lighter though. On the darker-side of beers benefit from the creaminess of the ice cream.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well Guinness is basically a float.

Frank

Frank

And, apparently, Newfoundland. I've never seen it anywhere else in Canada but there.
There's birch beer in every 7-11 here.

Also, as far as I know, Albertans love root beer.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

...and Hires!

Barq's is the only commercially available* root beer that contains caffeine. The rest of 'em are caffeine-free.

--Patrick
*i.e., "popular"
Possibly the reason I choose Barq's, although I do find its flavour superior to Mug or A&W, the latter of which I find quite bland. I think my favourite is Jones Soda's root beer but it's difficult to find in cases; usually it's like $3/bottle at convenience stores.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's basically impossible to find Jones Soda stuff that isn't green apple, berry lemonade, or cola in cans outside of some VERY specific retailers.

As for root beer... it basically boils down to three types:

- Those that use vanilla. This is your A&W style stuff. It's really mellow and has no spiciness at all.

- Those that use nutmeg. This is your Barqs and they have spiciness (the trademark "bite).

- Those that use nether. This is Mug. It tends to be really sweet.

I prefer mine with nutmeg. It makes all the difference.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I miss Hires root beer. :(

Frank

Frank

Possibly the reason I choose Barq's, although I do find its flavour superior to Mug or A&W, the latter of which I find quite bland. I think my favourite is Jones Soda's root beer but it's difficult to find in cases; usually it's like $3/bottle at convenience stores.
I haven't had it in forever, but Boylan's and Dad's have great root beers too.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Dad's! I forgot Dad's. That is excellent; I have never had Boylan's.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

As a kid I always loved Frostie's. Then as an adult IBC.

I am so glad I forgot this thread when I went to the grocery store today. Or I'd have gallons of ice cream and root beer now...

klew

klew

Cost Plus World Market and BevMo are my go-to shops for non-giant conglomerate sodas. I tend to pick up any new root beer I see. Overseas, I found a high end grocery store that had Boylan's Birch Beer. It was the best soda I could find in the country. Ever try Lester's Fixins Sweet Corn soda? It's weird, really tastes like corn, but not disgustingly.

PatrThom

PatrThom

As a kid I always loved Frostie's.
Frostie's is a good budget buy for both root beer and ginger ale. Usually 99 cents for a decent sized bottle, and they're fair quality. Another good budget bottle is Frostop, which I often see in the local dollar stores.

--Patrick

Krisken

Krisken

Sprecher brewery makes terrible beer, but their rootbeer is fantastic.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Stewarts made a decent root beer, too. I was trying to remember them when we were talking about the A&W restaurants. There were Stewarts drive-ins around where I used to live. They even had carhop service.

Now, I like Virgil's root beer and cream soda.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Stewarts made a decent root beer, too. I was trying to remember them when we were talking about the A&W restaurants. There were Stewarts drive-ins around where I used to live. They even had carhop service.

Now, I like Virgil's root beer and cream soda.
You need to try the special Virgil's Bavarian root beer they make with nutmeg. Comes in these big bottles... super spicy.

Celt Z

Celt Z

There were Stewarts drive-ins around where I used to live.
Ooo! You just gave me a great idea what to do for lunch today!

Eriol

Eriol

Dad's! I forgot Dad's. That is excellent; I have never had Boylan's.
Boylan's is OK IMO. Better than the big brands, but not worth the premium either. Dad's is awesome, though hard to find as well.