Rant VIII: The Reckoning

How's the car?
Side bumper is damaged, but its driveable for the next day or two if need be. The crash was 100% my fault though so that'll be a fun ticket + bump in insurance. Luckily, the woman told the cops that she wasn't hurt so I shouldn't have to worry about that.

Things I Hate About The Valley, Chapter 20:

There is exactly one way to get from East Mesa/Apache Junction to San Tan Valley/Queen Creek - two highly populated areas. It is a four lane divided highway that is probably the most heavily traveled "street" in Pinal County. Several thousands of people use it daily to commute to elsewhere in the valley - from Mesa and Gilbert all the way to Phoenix and the west valley.

Today, there was a multiple-vehicle accident at the southern end of this road (Ironwood Drive) involving two dump trucks and a semi - and apparently other vehicles. It essentially closed down Ironwood Drive, which meant that people had to detour multiple miles out of the way to get to their destinations - and with only a limited number of options, due to construction and the fact that Ironwood is essentially right in the middle of the Sonoran Desert.

Remember earlier this year when I mentioned that my bus blew up because it lost a fan belt? Well, that was about in the same area that this accident happened. Which means that I had to find a different way to get to the school where I drop the kid off - which wasn't a huge problem - and then find a way to get back to our base in Mesa - which was a huge problem.

Normally I get back to the base at around 9 AM. Today, that was about 9:35.

@PatrThom : He already said HE was fine. And we all know how fucking awful having your car out of commission can be, let alone expensive. So it is still concern about his well-being if not simply his health.
Yeah, I didn't think it was crass or anything. I was able to snap the bumper in place so I'm getting the estimate done today but I'm hoping they can just wire it up so I can drive for the next week since I'm going to be out of town the week after regardless.

@PatrThom : He already said HE was fine. And we all know how fucking awful having your car out of commission can be, let alone expensive. So it is still concern about his well-being if not simply his health.
All of this 100% believable and even relatable.
But you ARE someone who enjoys black comedy, so I wasn’t sure.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
So tell me when I've EVER made a joke right after someone ranted or had a personal misfortune. I make black jokes but never at the expense of someone having troubles.

And for the record, I'm not offended you made that assumption. Just clarifying.

So tell me when I've EVER made a joke right after someone ranted or had a personal misfortune. I make black jokes but never at the expense of someone having troubles.

And for the record, I'm not offended you made that assumption. Just clarifying.
There he goes again, always with the jokes.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Sometimes I swear to god the management at my work couldn't fuck the pimento out of an olive.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

When it takes longer for you to write the email telling me you can't solve the problem than it took for me to solve the problem, YOU'RE THE FUCKING PROBLEM!

When it takes longer for you to write the email telling me you can't solve the problem than it took for me to solve the problem, YOU'RE THE FUCKING PROBLEM!
I remember that Luann comic.
Luann: "I wrote up this list to explain why I didn't have time to do that thing you asked me to do."
Mom: "How long did it take you to write up this list?"
Luann: "About an hour-and-..."
Mom: (interrupting) "THAT'S when you had time."

--Patrick

So my last grandparent is dying, I have my final project next week and I'm so sick I hope the grim reaper takes me before her.

I drove 9 hours to see her, she was too out of it to talk. I then got so sick I slept in my aunt's guest bedroom for two days before driving another 9 hours home sick, which has definitely made my sickness get worse. Big day tomorrow. Hope I can stand up straight.

Couldn't make it to school today. Even if I flunk my final project, my grades are good enough to pass. It's a huge letdown though since I've been crushing my classes.

This flu is soul crushing as well as body crushing.

I've sweat like 15 pounds off and can't manage to hydrate myself to save my life. I haven't been this sick since H1N1.

Couldn't make it to school today. Even if I flunk my final project, my grades are good enough to pass. It's a huge letdown though since I've been crushing my classes.

This flu is soul crushing as well as body crushing.

I've sweat like 15 pounds off and can't manage to hydrate myself to save my life. I haven't been this sick since H1N1.
Is there any way I can help?

PROTIP: EAT. DRINK. GET UP. Especially if you plan on vidyagaming all night.

I didn't follow my own advice. Spent hours after waking sorting Sims CC before having breakfast. Had 'lunch' (quotes because it was ~4am) at the usual time. Snacked a little later. Around 8am I went to the post office to mail Mom's birthday card. She's 75 Saturday.

As I'm going through the vestibule after coming back home, my left leg gives out, and I slowly sink to the floor. Getting more and more light headed as I can't seem to get up. After a moment or two, I'm able to pull myself up and head to the lobby. Manager says I look a little pale. So I eat a waffle and feel a bit better.

Funny thing was, I'd skipped stopping at BK on the way home from the post office in favor of fixing a grilled cheese sammich as soon as I got back. Never got that far. :(

Not feeling my best right now, but better than I was this morning.

Enduring my second night in a row of sciatic nerve pain. Right now sitting up or slightly forward in my office chair is the most comfortable position. Damn this sucks.

What a fantastic day! Go the optometrist for an exam after some jankiness with my close-up vision that popped up overnite this weekend. Now I have a cataract surgery consult June 10 for my right eye, a lesser cataract in my left, and beginning Guacamole* in both.

Not to mention my dental issues. I recently had the top row removed. He did a good job on the left side, broke down the thin outer edge leaving a nice smooth bone ridge healing up for future dentures or when I get spare $$$, implants. The right side, not so much. Craters with thin bone walls and a couple of spikes on the outer edge. I don't know if he just got tired or was right handed.
I did, however go after one particular spot last night where he had cracked one of the craters that left thin bone exposed on both sides with my fingernail. I was actually able to break off/down thin bone enough, at least at that one spot, so it was less sore today. I'm sure I didn't go deep enough for it to heal properly though.
*that was intentional

Cataracts suck, especially at a young age.
But cataract surgery was probably the fastest and easiest procedure I've ever had done. The weirdest part was seeing everything with a red haze in that eye for a few days.

Cataracts suck, especially at a young age.
But cataract surgery was probably the fastest and easiest procedure I've ever had done. The weirdest part was seeing everything with a red haze in that eye for a few days.
Who you calling young? I'm not far behind Dave.

*appreciate the thought though :)*

p.s. My right eye has always been my bad one. Before thin lenses, it was definitely coca-cola bottle bottom thick. It's probably why i never really noticed.

Who you calling young? I'm not far behind Dave.

*appreciate the thought though :)*

p.s. My right eye has always been my bad one. Before thin lenses, it was definitely coca-cola bottle bottom thick. It's probably why i never really noticed.
I'm in that same age bracket. My cataract surgery was about 39/40 years old. But even in the early 50's, it's young for cataracts advanced enough to require surgery. When I had mine done, it was at a place that specialized in cataract surgery, and everyone there was in their 70s and 80s. One old fella patted me on the hand in the waiting room and told me how nice it was that I was here supporting my grandpa. I just laughed and said I was there for myself.