Rant VIII: The Reckoning

I'm unqualified.
So worst case you practice applying for a joband uupdate your CV

Medium case you get an interview and get to practice those skills and management sees you in a more positive light.

Best case you get the promotion and a blow job at Harvey's.

I doubt they'll see me in a positive light after today. I'm in the middle of an extended lunch break because I was THIS close to just walking out on them. Right now, I'm sitting in Second Cup nearby with a tea and a brownie trying to call down.

Why? Because it's sale day, 50% off clothes and such. That's all well and good. Done those before.

Except this time, not only did they change the store around a little, which always slows down people working in fitting rooms because they have to adapt to that change, the manages also suddenly changed how we sort the clothes. Which is ALSO slowing us down and making us all unnecessarily stressed.

And I'd be fine with these changes IF IT WASN'T DURING A MASSIVE FUCKING SALE WHERE EVERY CUSTOMER AND THEIR DOG ARE IN HERE. You don't just drop that shit on your already stressed workers.

I still might just walk out. Because it's fucking bullshit.

As someone who has been, and currently AM on the other side of someone just walking out, don't do it. Don't fucking do it. You may be stressed, but do you want to punish your coworkers by dumping another heaping helping of stress all over them? They didn't change the policy. Why take it out on them?

I have no idea when my next day off is, I just know it's not this week. My knee is bothering me, and there is no chance to rest it. I can't help my mom with her medical issues, because I have no time off. All because someone WALKED OUT ON US.

don't do it. Don't fucking do it. You may be stressed, but do you want to punish your coworkers by dumping another heaping helping of stress all over them? They didn't change the policy. Why take it out on them?\.

this is such transparent capitalist propaganda bullshit that I imagine the Koch Brothers flittering down on their wings of angels to whisper it in your ear

quit your job if you want to.

Dafuq? It's not about respecting your work or capitalism, it's about not being a dick to your coworkers, since they're the ones who have to pick up the slack and clean up your mess if you walk out.
or the company could like. change and adapt to not make the coworkers take on more stress and responsibility

GasBandit

Staff member
or the company could like. change and adapt to not make the coworkers take on more stress and responsibility
To present the only two options to be either sudden altruism on the part of ownership/management or an immediate walkout is a false dichotomy.

If you want to quit, put in your 2 weeks. Your employment record follows you, and future potential employers will be more hesitant to hire someone who just walks off the job.

TIL not wanting to fuck other people over is capitalist bullshit.
I find it ironic that "have a care for the lives of your potentially ex-coworkers" and "don't forget it's not all about you" are being suggested as "capitalistic" tendencies, whereas I always thought that pure Capitalism was a mentality where you try to grab as much for yourself and to Hell with everyone else.

--Patrick

Yes, but this time, it isn't about Capitalism, but about being brainwashed to be a corporate drone instead of looking out for yourself.

Mind you, I disagree, because keeping to agreements and not being a dick are, you know, good human traits. Just pointing out that Charlie's point is one I hear often, he's just using the wrong wording.

When you quit abruptly, you're not screwing your coworkers over. Period. In zero way. The company screws them over by continuing to make the remaining workers equal the output/profit in spite of the added stress and work with (assumed) no additional compensation.

When you quit abruptly, you're not screwing your coworkers over. Period. In zero way. The company screws them over by continuing to make the remaining workers equal the output/profit in spite of the added stress and work with (assumed) no additional compensation.
Vomit up the Karl Marx on someone else's time. You are a liar and a mind-mumbingly stupid one.

When someone walks out, the holes in the schedule must be filled by the remaining workers. Why? Because someone walked out. For no other reason than someone walked out. If they hadn't walked, there wouldn't be any shifts to make up.

It may be news to you, but there ARE labor laws in this country. And those laws are required to be posted in prominent locations. Top of the list is overtime. You work beyond 40 hours in a week, the rest is OT. Time and a half in this state. And most employers HATE having to pay overtime. Understaffed is the last thing they want.

I've said it before, other's people's drama tends to buy me stuff. That's because the OT I earned making up for their selfishness was enough on it's own to buy things like an iPhone, a new turntable, or a new bass.

How much did they earn in that same time? ZERO. Nothing. Nada.

When someone walks out, the holes in the schedule must be filled by the remaining workers. .

here's the dirty little secret

if the two people scheduled to open at McDonald's quit or call in sick, the manager can either call someone and say "you're fired if you don't come in on your day off", go in himself or...

wait for it.

the McDonald's doesn't open and they don't make any money :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:[DOUBLEPOST=1425981121,1425981046][/DOUBLEPOST]
And most employers HATE having to pay overtime. Understaffed is the last thing they want..
this is false for every single salaried job in the history of salaried jobs. they jerk off and cum pure profit when their workers work over 40 hours a week

Dave

Staff member
Derailing the terrible arguments on Charlie's part - because he's so wrong it's not even on the same spectrum of being right - to give my rant.

Another hit & run accident. This time it was Sammi coming home from work. Guy jumped the median and hit her, then tried to take off but his car wasn't able to. So he "called the cops". Nah. He SAID he was calling the cops. Instead, as I pulled up he pulled away in a friend's car and they are gone. We have liability only so the car is going to be probably totaled. Sammi is okay but shaken up, but now we're down a car. I love getting phone calls in the wee hours of the morning.

Derailing the terrible arguments on Charlie's part - because he's so wrong it's not even on the same spectrum of being right - to give my rant.

Another hit & run accident. This time it was Sammi coming home from work. Guy jumped the median and hit her, then tried to take off but his car wasn't able to. So he "called the cops". Nah. He SAID he was calling the cops. Instead, as I pulled up he pulled away in a friend's car and they are gone. We have liability only so the car is going to be probably totaled. Sammi is okay but shaken up, but now we're down a car. I love getting phone calls in the wee hours of the morning.
Traffic cams? If the other guy's at fault and ran off, that's another illegal act right there - file charges, etc, and see if the police can track him down? heck, if Sammi has any sort of physical injury (and yes, a bloody nose is enough) the other guy's also guilty of not offering assistance to someone in need....Those two alone would be a pretty hefty fine and reason for arrest (here, I don't know the US' laws). Also, these days, you'd be surprised how often you can find witnesses to an accident or such through Facebook if you can give a time/date/location and a make of car or similar.

Actually - if he ran off in a friend's car, doesn't that mean he left his own? Should be no trouble tracking him down through that alone.

Hope she's alright and you can find another car soon...Perhaps borrow a Focus off of @Just Eric ? :p

Dave

Staff member
The guy who owns the car that hit her is currently in jail for theft. We don't know who was driving the car. It had a passenger, but he took off on foot. So nobody knows who was driving. He said he was calling the cops while Sammi called home, butthen his friend got him and they took off. What sucks is they left right as I got there. Had I known I could have followed them.

The guy who owns the car that hit her is currently in jail for theft. We don't know who was driving the car. It had a passenger, but he took off on foot. So nobody knows who was driving. He said he was calling the cops while Sammi called home, butthen his friend got him and they took off. What sucks is they left right as I got there. Had I known I could have followed them.
Well...In Belgium the owner of the car would still be responsible, and his insurance would have to pay it all, and have to go to court to recuperate the costs from the driver. I don't know how it goes in the US, but I can't really imagine it's "well, sucks to be you".

Press charges for his arrest. When/if the Omaha cops actually find his ass, you'll be made aware and you can recoup something.

Though I bet idiot has $0 to his name, so it might just be prison $ you may or may not get in the long run.

Guy that dumb is probably in the system. And if he left the car, he probably left a ton of physical evidence behind that will point right to him.

st the other driver. They may be perfectly honest capable humans. But it's not their job to look out for you and your interests.

Unless you're charlie. If you're charlie, just post about it on tumblr and blame the patriarchy. The SJWs will surely save him from the harm society precipitated on his car and person.
AFAIK Charlie's a young white male. He has no right to any restitution or help whatsoever, with all of his privilege and stuff. His car crashing is merely karma for his continued privilege. Privilege. Privilege. Rah Rah Rah. :p

What freaking planet do you live on? You've obviously never held a job, or.... YOU'RE the ass that always quits and leaves messes for everyone to clean up. Of the two, I'm betting the latter option.

Dave

Staff member
What freaking planet do you live on? You've obviously never held a job, or.... YOU'RE the ass that always quits and leaves messes for everyone to clean up. Of the two, I'm betting the latter option.
He used to have a government job. You'd think he'd understand this. Someone quits at his work and he thinks the best option is to...shut down the government? Or lessen the workload? Because we all know how well that would go over with customers. But we digress. We'd gotten off that topic. Time to reel 'er back in, boys!

I'm not sure how Omaha PD is, but our department has a specific section for investigating hit-and-runs. Obviously, they tend to be VERY over-worked, and most hit-and-runs have nothing to go on... leaving your stuff at the scene is kind of huge, and will no doubt be followed up by further investigation.

And if Nebraska is anything like Georgia, it doesn't matter about whether the DRIVER was insured (unless they were specifically excluded from the policy, which few people ever bother to do), but rather if the VEHICLE was insured.

Keep your chin up, brother, and tell Sammi to treat it as a learning experience - we might get two calls for the same accident, but the dispatcher can always merge them together. Better to get two than none at all, especially if she can provide info to the dispatcher in real-time.

I hope she's doing okay after that.

Bad fit today after a really bad dream. Ran to the woods and spent 10 hours in solitude.
What is it with some dreams they gotta fuck up your day??

I was actually doubting whether to post here or in the Dream thread, as it's more a rant about a dream...But since we're talking about dreams here anyway: I had the most vivid dream last night, and it was completely on this board. Which is weird, having a whole dream basically play out like you're reading your own posts and feeling the feelings associated with them, after the fact, sort of? Anyway - the thread I was writing/reading was "Bubble's Wacky Tumor Thread: The Sequel Nobody Wanted". I woke up after changing the tag from [Rant] to [Brazelton] after giving up and choosing euthanasia. That was not a happy dream, and I'm still a bit shook up by it. Blergh.

That... actually sounds kinda cool. You hung out in the woods for 10 hours?
Yeah there's a place I go.. Usually I walk around go down to the creek, climb the hills, walk around a small pond or something but yesterday I just hung out in a small building by myself. I had a heater and my laptop to keep me company (No Internet way out in the boonies of course).. Very peaceful.

My dream I'll keep mostly private but was soon bizarre first alternating between me and a rabid but still human Dr octopus (wtf, I haven't even read spiderman for years?!?!) coming after me to.. A seemingly dead baby and carriages. Again more to the story that's much more private but the end part is what upset me the most about the baby. ><
Doing better now.

Last edited:
Fuck Alberta's nearly flat income tax. With a rusty spike.

My mostly retired mother (she works part time for the Commissionaires) has a tax bill from last year (the year she "mostly" retired) for 6000 fucking dollars. She used to work for the federal government, where they didn't tax her enough to deal with Alberta's stupid bullshit. Now she works for the Commissionaires, who also didn't tax her enough for Alberta's stupid bullshit. Now a woman who's living on 600 dollar a month CPP plus whatever she makes part time is being garnished 500 from her CPP until it's paid. She's expected to live on a hundred dollars a month for this flat tax bullshit.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, my tax return (and a big piece of savings) is going straight back to the fucking government to help my mother. Fuck.

FUCK.

FUCKPOUIDSBHg ouibhsdjklduw GEFVGDSKL JW;q fid',n

Fucking this:

http://www.betterwayalberta.ca/