Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Come home from work, got some time to kill before the Apple announcement... *crack!* Whoops, tooth just fractured in two. Both parts still in place but one part is loose and painful to move or chew on.

Go to regular dentist. I don't have dental insurance, so I check on the payment plan... essentially it's applying for a credit card. A credit card I get denied for (based on $1200 for a crown if I want to save the tooth.) Ask about extraction. Still ~$200. Fuck.

Sister calls. Says check with WVU dental clinic. $75 up front to be seen, rest can be billed. I go up there. Options are crown (nope), leave it (nope nope), or yank. Bye bye tooth!

Not sure the status of the girl doing the procedure, if she was a resident or what. But she had a little difficulty getting a grip on the tooth after part of it crumbled away on the first attempt. Finally the doctor supervising had to step in. He got a better angle and a better grip and got it out.

Only another $39 on top of the original $75. And I was able to call off work tonight. Would be hard to deal with guests and phone when all I can do is mff mff mff.

Did they let you keep the pieces?
Every dentist I've been to will let you keep your extracted teeth because they are perfectly safe to keep around once you wash them. I've just never wanted to because any time I need an extraction, it's because half the tooth is rotted away.

GasBandit

Staff member
Every dentist I've been to will let you keep your extracted teeth because they are perfectly safe to keep around once you wash them. I've just never wanted to because any time I need an extraction, it's because half the tooth is rotted away.
Oh, I know. Just, sometimes you have to remember to ask beforehand, or they assume you don't want them and throw them out. I've been over this before.

Yeah, I didn't get to keep mine a few weeks ago. Apparently my teeth are too pretty. And I'm not kidding - when I asked, he said he wanted to keep it because it'd be such a perfect example to show in class, a great big perfect tooth, 100% healthy on the outside, with a tiny tiny cavity in the back, which still caused it to rot straight through to the nerve and hollowed it out until part broke off. Also, "it's abnormally huge! Man!"*

*If only I had a female dentist....

My husband is a fucking idiot. Got phone call at 4:30am that schools were closed due to flooding, so I turned off all the alarms. Husband snuck out of the house to go to work while I was asleep because he knew I would have thrown a fit. Rain has only gotten worse, who knows if he will even be able to get home. If he gets stuck at work he will have no one to blame but himself.

On the positive side, he's still working to provide for his family... so there's that...
This would be more valid if he didn't have a job where he can telecommute with no difficulty. :p He would miss a couple of meetings, but I can more or less guarantee most people didn't go to work today.

Ah, didn't know about the telecommuting option. Working from home is such an alien concept... *grins*

Yes, he should've just done that, then. *chuckles*

Ah, didn't know about the telecommuting option. Working from home is such an alien concept... *grins*

Yes, he should've just done that, then. *chuckles*

You could totally do that. Just every 30 minutes, stick your head out the window and yell at any random passersby "I AM THE LAW!"

Of course my kids get a free 4 day weekend out of this, which is just going to lead to more ranting from me. :p

Pfft, it's different with YOUR kids, stienman! There's so many of them that they get the whole house done in like five minutes, so it's no big deal to them! :p

I'm also supposed to find out if I need to report for Jury Duty on Monday tomorrow and my county court is like a fucking hour drive away so I really hope I don't have to.[DOUBLEPOST=1379027081,1379026983][/DOUBLEPOST]
More like, give them each a bucket and tell them to bail all the water out of the lake that used to be her lawn.
Thankfully my neighborhood is basically fine, but I'm surrounded by badness. ;) The area around my daughter's school is flooded, I have no idea if it got into the school or not. I've had a few friends a town over who had to evacuate.

So the rain has stopped but is still in the forecast for the weekend. Schools are closed until *at least* Thursday while damages are assessed. Ugh.

So the rain has stopped but is still in the forecast for the weekend. Schools are closed until *at least* Thursday while damages are assessed. Ugh.
Stay dry. Floods can throw you for a huge loop, even if you're not directly affected.

Yeah our main water line got damaged so that's fun. Plus we have no way to get to other towns because we are surrounded by flooding as well. I'm just glad my neighborhood is not flooded, but a lot of my friends from derby are in bad shape.

Yanno, even Isaiah talked about having compassion on your enemies when they were in the midst of crisis.

(That would be Isaiah the prophet, kids: look up Isaiah 14:32.)

(Fixed the quotation)

Last edited:
Yanno, even Isaiah talked about having compassion on your enemies when they were in the midst of crisis.

(That would be Isaiah the prophet, kids: look up Isaiah 15:32.)
Isaiah? Sounds like a jew, and we all know that God hates jews.*

*According to the WBC