Rant VIII: The Reckoning

That's been my general complaint. A lot of them are really chunky. Of course the lighting makes that set worth it, but not necessarily great for everyday wear.

What is gorilla glass?
I don't know how interested you are in a full history, but this article on Corning (the company that created Gorilla Glass) is fascinating. When I first read it I sent it to almost everyone I know, and once in a drunk while, Drunk Leigh remembers this article and starts interrupting people texting at bars (rude, anyway) to tell them where the glass they're tapping came from.

Without further ado, what is Gorilla Glass? It is the result of some pretty freaking amazing research at Corning, and is pretty much the standard in smartphones. It had to be thin, responsive, hard to scratch and unlikely to break (though anyone who's dropped an un-cased smartphone knows they do shatter, the article goes into some detail as to why as some improvements in newer versions of the glass to reduce this). Corning delivered.

To me, it's like those kids who would run around with the Naruto headbands on... just so dorky....
Except it's not on your face, and therfore, in other's face. Again, something small like a ring is even less conspicuous than a t-shirt. Unless you have issues with t-shirts too.

I don't know how interested you are in a full history, but this article on Corning (the company that created Gorilla Glass) is fascinating. When I first read it I sent it to almost everyone I know, and once in a drunk while, Drunk Leigh remembers this article and starts interrupting people texting at bars (rude, anyway) to tell them where the glass they're tapping came from.

Without further ado, what is Gorilla Glass? It is the result of some pretty freaking amazing research at Corning, and is pretty much the standard in smartphones. It had to be thin, responsive, hard to scratch and unlikely to break (though anyone who's dropped an un-cased smartphone knows they do shatter, the article goes into some detail as to why as some improvements in newer versions of the glass to reduce this). Corning delivered.
Something to read at work! Yay!

GasBandit

Staff member
Or, if you'd rather, you could also use 3M Security Glass.

Downside? Urban legend has it there was a fire after hours at 3M and the firemen couldn't break a window to get in, had to frantically call people until someone could come unlock the door for them.

Except it's not on your face, and therfore, in other's face. Again, something small like a ring is even less conspicuous than a t-shirt. Unless you have issues with t-shirts too.
The rings are awfully bulky and conspicuous, so I'd put it on the same level. If it were a nice small tasteful ring, I'd probably change my stance on it. As to T shirts, I post this wearing a shirt with the Captain America shield on it.

The rings are awfully bulky and conspicuous, so I'd put it on the same level.
That's a pretty blanket statement.

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/metroid-ring.jpg
That's a Metroid ring.

http://i0.wp.com/www.randomtuesdays.com/http://www.randomtuesdays.com/wp-content/uploads/green-lantern.png?resize=640,640
Nice subtle GL ring.

http://i0.wp.com/www.randomtuesdays.com/http://www.randomtuesdays.com/wp-content/uploads/green-lantern.png?resize=640,640
Other subtle/nice looking ones with different gemstones.

I will agree that the big plastic ones or the oversized ones ARE a bit much, but saying all gaming type rings are akin to Naruto headbands is a bit much.

I will agree that the big plastic ones or the oversized ones ARE a bit much, but saying all gaming type rings are akin to Naruto headbands is a bit much.
I think he just meant his rings specifically.

Also I knew someone who owned a Naruto headband. She didn't wear it, as far as I know.

She also 'fell in love' with one of the characters on that show.

...I've known some odd people. She and I dated for some time in fact. She owned a parrot. You have never known truly surreal irritation until you've tried making out while being shrieked at by a jealous avian.

I wore it in a comic shop during a MtG tournament. I also took it with me to a convention and wore it along with my street clothes for maybe 30 minutes before it became uncomfortable.

GasBandit

Staff member
I wore it in a comic shop during a MtG tournament. I also took it with me to a convention and wore it along with my street clothes for maybe 30 minutes before it became uncomfortable.
So, no. Not to, say, the movie theater to see an unrelated movie, or going down to your local burger joint.

That article was super cool, thanks!

GasBandit

Staff member
Few things aggravate me more than having to deal with someone in an official capacity who has absolutely no idea what they are doing or how things work.

The new head of my department can not even use Word.
Can we at least hope that this person knows how to use a typewriter? Because if not, this is the second time in 4 months I've run into someone not being able to use a basic component of an office suite. Older people I can understand, up to a point. But the guy that replaced me on my contract to Microsoft is a recent college grad who can't use Excel - and that just baffles the hell out of me.

Can we at least hope that this person knows how to use a typewriter? Because if not, this is the second time in 4 months I've run into someone not being able to use a basic component of an office suite. Older people I can understand, up to a point. But the guy that replaced me on my contract to Microsoft is a recent college grad who can't use Excel - and that just baffles the hell out of me.
I wasn't taught to use Excel in high school, haven't had to use it in college, and have never had to use it for anything personal. This is despite knowing Word and Open Office Writer backwards and forwards. Basically, this isn't uncommon. Some people never learn to use it because it never comes up.

My boss at the factory didn't understand where files went when he saved them. When he needed to email multiple people with the same message, he typed it out for each person and sent it separately.

Define "can't use Excel" because I can't do much in Excel beyond simply typing into spreadsheets cell by cell. I don't think excel is that commonly used in college (obviously depending on major).

I wasn't taught to use Excel in high school, haven't had to use it in college, and have never had to use it for anything personal. This is despite knowing Word and Open Office Writer backwards and forwards. Basically, this isn't uncommon. Some people never learn to use it because it never comes up.
The job that I was doing required a high amount of report generation... in Excel. It's one thing not to know how to use a tool that's completely irrelevant to your job, it's something else completely to not know how to use a tool that's essential to your job.

Define "can't use Excel" because I can't do much in Excel beyond simply typing into spreadsheets cell by cell. I don't think excel is that commonly used in college (obviously depending on major).
Couldn't use Excel. As in, had trouble figuring out how to enter data, had problems saving spreadsheets, could never find things once they'd been saved (even though you can just hover over the arrow next to Excel and pull up all of your recently edited docs). Couldn't use any additional functions of the software at all - including Functions, data sorting, charts/graphs - let alone the advanced functions like PivotChart and PivotTable.

The job that I was doing required a high amount of report generation... in Excel. It's one thing not to know how to use a tool that's completely irrelevant to your job, it's something else completely to not know how to use a tool that's essential to your job.

Couldn't use Excel. As in, had trouble figuring out how to enter data, had problems saving spreadsheets, could never find things once they'd been saved (even though you can just hover over the arrow next to Excel and pull up all of your recently edited docs). Couldn't use any additional functions of the software at all - including Functions, data sorting, charts/graphs - let alone the advanced functions like PivotChart and PivotTable.
A friend of mine discovered that a coworker was going down line by line in Excel entering "1", "2", "3", etc. The guy was at around 130, apparently, when my friend happened to stop by his office for unrelated reasons. He pointed out you can just automatically fill in a bunch of fields, and the guy was completely stunned. Apparently he'd been doing this for years, and never known, sometimes generating, manually, lists with 100s of rows. God knows what else he's doing with those spreadsheets by hand.

Yeah, one of the guys I used to work with on my MSFT contract (who was an Excel automation genius) took over a report from someone who left the company. It was a daily report that had to be run in the 64 bit version of Excel (which allowed a higher count of fields than the 32 bit version) that fed information into three or four Pivots used to generate some pretty high-profile reports for senior management. John discovered, when he finally got the master file, that it was all entered manually. The reports updated at noon and the previous employee got to work around 7:00 and worked on only that until the report was ready to go live.

By the time my buddy was done with it, the back-end report updated hourly, was accurate for the first time ever, and the only effort it took on his part was to remember to open up the file once an hour and click 'refresh'.