Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Ever fucked up so bad you started questioning your intelligence? I said the wrong thing to the wrong person at the wrong time & got fired from my part time job. Had no idea the guy could hear me and I know better. But I fucked up.
This sounds too juicy for me not to ask what it is you said

So, a couple weeks ago we finally got a call for our business, of someone who had a mama cat and three kittens that they wanted to catch and hand over to us to socialize and then adopt out the kittens, fix the mama cat, and find a good home for her. We exchanged information, it was a whole big hassle because they hadn't actually caught the cats yet, but they were definitely going to, and in the end it took so long that the mama cat went off and got pregnant again and left the three kittens by themselves, whereupon they were finally caught, but then they only wanted to bring one of the kittens over the first day and the other two would get dropped off that afternoon or the next day.

Instead, what happened was that the husband came and dropped the little boy kitten off, went back home, talked to his wife, called us back, and asked for the kitten back - came up with this story about how the other two were too sad suddenly without the brother kitten, and maybe they'd keep all three, or maybe they'd bring them back later, we'd talk later. And the dude was not happy that we sent the little boy kitten back in one of our Sherpa bags instead of trying to force him into a hard-sided carrier with only one door. The next morning, bright and early (like, before dawn), the Sherpa bag was returned and we never heard anything again. Until today. When the animal control supervisor in charge of our county showed up for a welfare check on what she'd been told was a cat-hoarding situation. Boy was she annoyed when she found out we only have five cats and two dogs (and six ducks, but they're companion livestock). She did get to meet Miss Maxine, though.

Dave

Staff member
AAA. They came out & aired it up as we couldn't find anything wrong with the tire. Turns out that a place called TIRES PLUS didn't torque the stem in tight enough so it was leaking. TIRES FUCKING PLUS didn't install a TIRE right.

I ordered a TV to use as a monitor on Prime Day. Fucking FedEx delivered the TV to the wrong fucking house.

Luckily my neighbor is really honest and knocked on my door to let me know it was at his house.

I do wonder how much money fedex is making. They always use uhaul vans in my area. If you’re consistently using them, why not just buy them instead of rent?

I do wonder how much money fedex is making. They always use uhaul vans in my area. If you’re consistently using them, why not just buy them instead of rent?
Folks using uhaul vans are usually outside contractors doing the less important/profitable routes that private carriers don't want to do.

Yeah, the Post Office is so hobbled now that even FedEx/UPS can't depend on them to be that "last mile" like they used to.

--Patrick

Folks using uhaul vans are usually outside contractors doing the less important/profitable routes that private carriers don't want to do.
That’s definitely us, but between us and my parents, both ups and fedex are in our area at least 3 out of 5 weekdays.
I have a package that is supposed to be here today, and is a 2.5 hour drive away as of this morning. I can’t believe that delivery driver will have many more packages than mine to deliver.

This is the "future" if the USPS goes, by the way. Ether it's private contractors fucking up your mail because they don't care or UPS and the rest setting up centers where -you- have to pick it up because it's not profitable to mail it to you.

This is the "future" if the USPS goes, by the way. Ether it's private contractors fucking up your mail because they don't care or UPS and the rest setting up centers where -you- have to pick it up because it's not profitable to mail it to you.
There’s been talk for a while of what do with mail to rural areas. I wouldn’t mind having mail delivered to a central location, but I know there are a lot of people who aren’t always able to either drive or get to a place like that.
I think the biggest mistake we made was trying to pretend the usps can be run like a for profit business. It’s a government service, and should be treated like it.

There’s been talk for a while of what do with mail to rural areas. I wouldn’t mind having mail delivered to a central location, but I know there are a lot of people who aren’t always able to either drive or get to a place like that.
I think the biggest mistake we made was trying to pretend the usps can be run like a for profit business. It’s a government service, and should be treated like it.
The USPS is actually monumentally successful, when you look at what it does and how much income it brings in every year. It only looks bad on paper because of how much of it's income goes towards future payments on pensions to retired mail workers. Without that stipulation (something that no other government service or private service has, mind you), it would actually be one of the most successful government agencies in the world.

Mind you, that efficiency has taken a nosedive by the willful destruction of perfectly usable letter sorting machines by the current administration, but I imagine the Biden admins will just order newer ones.

The USPS is actually monumentally successful, when you look at what it does and how much income it brings in every year. It only looks bad on paper because of how much of it's income goes towards future payments on pensions to retired mail workers. Without that stipulation (something that no other government service or private service has, mind you), it would actually be one of the most successful government agencies in the world.

Mind you, that efficiency has taken a nosedive by the willful destruction of perfectly usable letter sorting machines by the current administration, but I imagine the Biden admins will just order newer ones.
But when you look at it as a profit making machine, daily delivery to rural areas makes no sense, and would be the first to go. It doesn’t matter if they’re making money over all or not. If they’re losing money in rural areas, why continue it? I just think it’s a bad idea to try to push that idea on something like the usps.

But when you look at it as a profit making machine, daily delivery to rural areas makes no sense, and would be the first to go. It doesn’t matter if they’re making money over all or not. If they’re losing money in rural areas, why continue it? I just think it’s a bad idea to try to push that idea on something like the usps.
Well that's the thing: while USPS is run like a business, it still has a government obligation to deliver all mail, to all postal addresses, for a flat rate, no matter how far it has to travel. It's only operated like a for profit business to avoid competition clauses... it still has government mandates it must follow. That's why folks in very remote parts of the country can actually survive: the mail has to get there, so there is always at least ONE lifeline for needed supplies. Without the USPS, there are parts of the country that would die within a few months.

Seriously, the USPS is a juggernaut. It brings in like $71 billion a year, with over $30 billion in packages alone. It just gets eaten by future pension obligations.

I'm technically not allowed to say what logistics and transportation company i work for...But our logo is orange and purple, five letters and has an arrow in the negative space.
My condolences for working for F'edupEx. (Term coined by a late friend of mine who used to work for them out of the Memphis hub.)

Me: "I have proven that this specific part is defective and replaced it. Please inform the customer."

CSR "Yeah, the customer mentioned that it was broken."

Me "Telling me that before I began the job, would have saved lot of work."

:facepalm: :mad:

I unfriended an old college roommate about a month ago. He was always an asshole, but he never attacked me, personally. He would pop into comments on my posts sometimes with pretty bad advice. But lately, he had many pro-Trump opinions and would jump on me if I said something against Trump. Which is funny when he's lived overseas most of his life, and teaching in the Middle East for the past 10 or so years.

I finally had enough when he made a very unhelpful comment on one of my posts while depressed. I can't recall exactly what it was, but it's the kind of comment someone says who doesn't understand how depression works.

This morning, I wake up to this:
Screenshot_20201102-073230_Twitter.jpg

It's amazing that a month after I unfriended him that this is the first thing he chose to say to me. I blocked him immediately instead of giving him the satisfaction of a response. Fuck him.

What's funny is his mentioning of the teenage girlfriend, which I long ago admitted was a mistake in retrospect. But it shows how little he knows about me since I've had two girlfriends since then. And as far as I've ever known him for over 20 years, he's never had a single one.

But it goes to show what kind of person he really is if he feels he needs to attack me like this.

Last edited:
I unfriended an old college roommate about a month ago. He was always an asshole, but he never attacked me, personally. He would pop into comments on my posts sometimes with pretty bad advice. But lately, he had many pro-Trump opinions and would jump on me if I said something against Trump. Which is funny when he's lived overseas most of his life, and teaching in the Middle East for the past 10 or so years.

I finally had enough when he made a very unhelpful comment on one of my posts while depressed. I can't recall exactly what it was, but it's the kind of comment someone says who doesn't understand how depression works.

This morning, I wake up to this:
View attachment 36055

It's amazing that a month after I unfriended him that this is the first thing he chose to say to me. I blocked him immediately instead of giving him the satisfaction of a response. Fuck him.

What's funny is his mentioning of the teenage girlfriend, which I long ago admitted was a mistake in retrospect. But it shows how little he knows about me since I've had two girlfriends since then. And as far as I've ever known him for over 20 years, he's never had a single one.

But it goes to show what kind of person he really is if he feels he needs to attack me like this.
Wow. I don't use this word often, but what a cunt. I can only imagine how fragile he must be to need to lash out like that