Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Make him clean it off.

Also, take a picture and add it to the Hall of Shaming for when he brings his crush home to meet the folks.

--Patrick

Quick update on Dill after chatting with the publisher: they were very understanding about my thoughts on the matter. It's been moved to February, officially.

Him: I see you got out of making the costume for Lily. (She wanted me to make her a ladybug costume out of a cardboard box and I am far from that talented.)
Me: Yeah. We were a little busy.
Him: Doing what? Picking your nose?

:mad:
Motherfucker it is ON!

Dave

Staff member
Hey, FedEX!

I know that extra few moments are hard. You know, those precious few seconds where you actually have to wait for someone to answer the door. Maybe you didn't want to give the package to my 21 year old son who was home at the time. Maybe you thought, "Hey! This is a terrible neighborhood, but I don't think anyone would steal a package that is sitting right out in the open!"

Listen, you fuckwits! I know that you couldn't give two shits about your customers but this was going to be a present for my wife. No, it wasn't expensive. No, it's not going to kill me to have to replace it. But I won't be able to order another one before Christmas because I get paid once a month. So thanks, you incredibly incompetent morons, for not letting me get my wife a good present for Christmas.

Fucking jerks.

Ah, FedEX. My mom got one of their delivery supervisors fired, for mishandling packages for the company she works for. Dude had a cart loaded down with a bunch of their multi-tens-of-thousands-of-dollars equipment, and couldn't fit it through the door, so he just kept ramming the packages into the door frame over and over again. When he finally realized that it wasn't going to work, he got really pissed off and started chucking the boxes through the door - and busted a shit load of professional video equipment that they use for demonstrations at trade shows... while several people, my mom included, watched. Then walked up to one of the secretaries and asked her to sign for the delivery, like nothing had happened.

Sorry about the gift, though.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Dare I ask what the gift was, Dave? And seriously, that sounds like a piss-poor way to treat customers and their goods.

I've never, in my life, had a UPS or FEDEX guy knock or wait for a signature. They've always left them on my doorstep and left. When I'm in an apartment, a home, temporary address, it's never mattered.

I had an entire computer delivered from a gaming computer builder ($1900) value just left on my doorstep, in a bad neighborhood, in an outside apartment complex with 4 doors next to mine connected.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I don't actually get who in their right mind would even leave packages by the doorway? Here in Finland, if you're not at home to sign a package, they leave you a note and you have to go pick up the package from the local post office.

Then again, we don't really do the whole FedEx shit...

Man. FedEx around here is awesome. They called me the other day to ask if it was okay if they left a package at my door or if they should retry the following day. I was impressed. I had no idea they were notoriously crappy!

Around here the UPS delivery is the douchy one. Fedex goes out of it's way to make sure I get my package, even setting up a delivery window for some more expensive stuff I've ordered. UPS won't even wait the 3 seconds for me to get from my home desk to the front door.

fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

now Yahoo! and Youtube homepages are very different now. Less organized content for my loss.

Around here is it the post office deliveries that are dodgy. UPS and FedEx have really good service over the holidays here. UPS used to put things on our back porch (the yard is fenced in) if no one was home. Now they wait to see if someone is here before dropping them off in the front of the house.

FedEx usually knocks on my door and is halfway back to their truck by the time I get to the door. I wish they stuck around another few seconds, but they've never outright ditched me.

It's an hour drive for the ups and fedex drivers to get to my house. If it requires a signature, they'll leave it with my parents who live down the road so they don't have to come out again. How they figured out they're my parents, or we even have a good relationship is beyond me. I'm glad my parents still like me, otherwise i'd be out of a few packages.

Dave

Staff member
It was a $100 flat iron my wife ordered online. For you guys, a flat iron is some sort of a hair care thing. Like a curling iron, but in reverse.

It was a $100 flat iron my wife ordered online. For you guys, a flat iron is some sort of a hair care thing. Like a curling iron, but in reverse.
They make the curly hair many want, into straight hair, for the day. Just to freak you out. Was it a Chi?

GasBandit

Staff member
The fedex around here used to be pretty good, until they lost our paychecks 2 weeks ago... heh. UPS can get a bit lazy. I've never had a personal package lost. But I think it helps I always have stuff I order shipped to work. When crappy stuff happens to us, everybody in the community hears about it.

So, I was fairly sick last month and had to take a little time off. Turn in my sick notice from the hospital to my company, who inform me I wont be getting any salary from my time off sick. The sick notice is only there to prevent further fines, apparently. Now, as far as I remember, the labor law is like this:

Employers' obligations
An employer's obligations include:
  1. Not terminating an employee during his/her statutory sick-leave period. Termination after expiration of a sick-leave period is subject to certain procedures;

2. If the employee's labor contract expires during his/her sick-leave period, employers must automatically extend the term of the contract until the end of the sick-leave period; and

3. Paying the employee's sick-leave wage during his/her sick-leave period.
Sick leave
During an employee's sick leave, an employer may not terminate the employee and must pay him/her a sick-leave wage.
Under national law, an employee suffering from illness or non-work-related injuries is entitled to a sick-leave period ranging from 3 to 24 months, depending on the number of years the employee has worked for an employer and his/her total years of work experience.
In Shanghai, the length of a sick-leave period depends on the number of years an employee has worked for an employer; for example, if an employee's contract was signed after May 1, 2002, his/her first year of service entitles him/her to a three-month sick-leave period. Thereafter, every full year of service entitles the employee to an additional month. In other words, if an employee has worked for more than two years, but less than three, his/her sick-leave period can be up to four months.
Sick-leave entitlement does not have to be taken in a single installment. An employee may exhaust his/her leave entitlement at different times.
In Shanghai, an employee's sick-leave period must be extended if the employee has been confirmed by the Labor Capacity Appraisal Center, a government evaluation entity, to have totally lost his/her labor capacity and if he/she is not qualified for retirement benefits (see the discussion regarding early retirement below). An extended sick-leave period must be agreed upon by the employer and the employee. However, in no event may an extended sick-leave period, together with a sick-leave period as demarcated in the preceding paragraph, be shorter than 24 months.
Sick-leave wages
Generally, an employee is compensated during his/her sick-leave period at 60 to 100 percent of his/her regular wage, depending on the employee's seniority. The following chart provides a general overview of the sick-leave wage/subsidy calculation in Shanghai, as an example. Different cities in China may have different local rules and interpretations.
Years of consecutive service
Sick-leave wage/subsidy
During the first 6 months of an employee's sick-leave period
< 2 years
60%
2–4 years
70%
4–6 years
80%
6–8 years
90%
> 8 years
100%
If the employee consecutively takes leave of more than 6 months
< 1 year
40%
1–3 years
50%
> 3 years
60%
In Shanghai, the sick-leave wage/subsidy of an employee should not be less than 40 percent of the average wage of the enterprise, or 80 percent of the municipal minimum wage for the preceding year, whichever is greater. However, in no event may a sick-leave wage/subsidy be more than an employee's actual salary or the municipal average wage (¥2,892 in Shanghai), whichever is lower.

So I should be getting SOMETHING. I informed my boss that not paying me was in violation of relevant laws. She didn't know the laws, but was sure HR would be following them. She'd double check and get back to me through e-mail. So now I wait.

GasBandit

Staff member
GAH youtube changed its layout AGAIN. And to what? That damn flat boring "Oh my god we're suddenly allergic to reflections and round corners" win 8 bullshit. UGH.

Also, I am sick to death of games these days with their hardons for post-processing. Let's not worry about polycount processing or high res textures, no! Let's TART THE SHIT OUT OF OUR FRAMES with depth of field and motion blur and bloom and more bloom and KEEP POURING ON THE BLOOM until it looks like someone just used a sandblaster to shoot dehydrated semen into the eyes of someone with astigmatism. YEAH TEAM HALFASS.

fade

Staff member
Dave was it the UPS Poop? You know, the cosmic coincidence that you have to poop at precisely the moment the UPS guy does his run-by. And it's not a "if I wait 5 minutes, it will subside" shituation either. It's "OH MAN, IF I DON'T GO NOW, MY LIVING ROOM WILL LOOK LIKE A JACKSON POLLOCK PAINTING OH WHY DID I HAVE 5 ESPRESSOS FOR BREAKFAST?!?"

Dave was it the UPS Poop? You know, the cosmic coincidence that you have to poop at precisely the moment the UPS guy does his run-by. And it's not a "if I wait 5 minutes, it will subside" shituation either. It's "OH MAN, IF I DON'T GO NOW, MY LIVING ROOM WILL LOOK LIKE A JACKSON POLLOCK PAINTING OH WHY DID I HAVE 5 ESPRESSOS FOR BREAKFAST?!?"
Those are simultaneously the best and worst kinds of poops.

Dave

Staff member
Nope, it was the "FedEx is too lazy to knock". My son was home the entire time.