Rant VIII: The Reckoning

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Just got this email.

Executive Admin: "Please give me a call in the morning to discuss [New Exec]'s phone number. He doesn't want anything with a "2" in it.

...given that ALL of our numbers are "2XX-XX2-XXXX" I can't wait to hear how they would like this accomplished.

Ehhhh, I have a hard time making fun of something like this when I have a son with autism who was adverse to half the rainbow for the better part of the last year and a half. Though I can't say that is the same thing as this person, I just don't really mock that kind of thing anymore.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Ehhhh, I have a hard time making fun of something like this when I have a son with autism who was adverse to half the rainbow for the better part of the last year and a half. Though I can't say that is the same thing as this person, I just don't really mock that kind of thing anymore.
I honestly didn't even consider it from that angle, it was just the (to me) oddest request in a solid three months or so of increasingly odd requests coming to me from several areas at work. And the first one that is going to be very difficult to fulfill. I apologize if I offended.

"And bring him a bowl of M&Ms with all the brown ones picked out."
You know, there's kind of a funny story behind that. It turns out the reason David Lee Roth insisted on that rider when Van Halen was on tour, was to see how attentive the venue was to the details. If the promoter ignored or missed the "no brown M&Ms" clause in the rider, it was a sign that they may have missed other details as well. Since the group was playing in venues that may not have been built to handle the amount of equipment and size crowds Van Halen entailed, that could mean disaster: electrical fires, collapsing stages, rupturing beams, etc. It was basically a canary in a coal mine. Whenever the band found brown M&M's candies backstage, they immediately did a complete line check, inspecting every aspect of the sound, lighting and stage setup to make sure it was perfect. David Lee Roth would also trash the band’s dressing room to prove a point -- reinforcing his reputation in the process.

I honestly didn't even consider it from that angle, it was just the (to me) oddest request in a solid three months or so of increasingly odd requests coming to me from several areas at work. And the first one that is going to be very difficult to fulfill. I apologize if I offended.
I'm not offended, was just making commentary. ;)

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm at a bit of a loss, though, for how someone becomes an executive ANYTHING if they completely eschew the number 2 from all aspects of their life. Can they not do math?

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I'm at a bit of a loss, though, for how someone becomes an executive ANYTHING if they completely eschew the number 2 from all aspects of their life. Can they not do math?
especially baffling considering there is a big "F" in the middle of their Very Important Title

Someone hit Sammi's car last night and drove off, leaving a decent sized dent in her driver's door. People suck.
Been there, done that, got the loaner from the shop. :(

At least I was in the car at the time. I wonder if she would have left a note if I'd been in the store with the wife when she did it...

I really hope the bastards that keep lighting off salute shells/M80s/M100s in my neighborhood blow themselves up. I am so sick of this shit and there is nothing you can do about it since the cops have to catch them in the act.

I was just asked in a meeting to describe my jobs role

i heard shit like service

profits

normal retail shit

my job is to make sure the lay person makes good choices about material and products when doing electrical work. I am not here to serve you, I am here to make sure you make good choices about your project and protect you from making choices that might harm you and others.

IE when you put your christmas lights up and end up with two female ends, i will not sell you a suicide adapter(male/male) because that would leave a live end open and could cause harm to you or a fire to your valuable property

My aunt who survived breast cancer years ago just found out she now has liver cancer. This is along with my high school sweetheart's oldest daughter starting chemo and radiation for cancer they found in her knee.

FUCK cancer. With a hot sauce covered spiny cactus.

Dave

Staff member
One of my best friends went to the doctor a couple days ago because he was feeling a bit off. They scheduled a stress test for today. It did not go well. Now he's in the hospital for the weekend and will be undergoing a quadruple bypass on Monday. He's a year younger than me and we share the exact same lifestyle. Time to go to the doctor for a checkup and to start back up at the gym!

My aunt who survived breast cancer years ago just found out she now has liver cancer. This is along with my high school sweetheart's oldest daughter starting chemo and radiation for cancer they found in her knee.

FUCK cancer. With a hot sauce covered spiny cactus.
yes...

Stupid me! Stupid Reddit! Stupid movie spoiling, meme making assholes on the front page! I don't usually give a damn about spoilers, but I did just this once. I saw the picture and had to look because "Oh I think that's..." AAAHHHH!! Why did I do that?!

doomdragon6

Staff member
"Doom we need you to stay until 8:30 working in the coal shack tonight."

Yeah, no, not without prior notice I'm not. I get off at 5, fuck y'all, I'm out.

I don't get paid anywhere near enough to give a shit about 12 hour days ruining my hearing and getting black lung doing things that aren't my job.

I have too much shit to do for you to pull that crap.

(How long will Doom last at this job?)

Holy crap I can't do this anymore. I had all of last week off, which was wonderful - plenty of time to do some Christmas baking, relax, hang out with my wife, play some computer games. Every time my brain started drifting toward the subject of work, I would change my inner subject and refuse to think about work. This morning on the drive in was the first time I really put any thought into work, and the mess that would surely be awaiting me upon my return, and I started having a massive panic attack about a mile from the shop. I've been here just over an hour and all I want to do is crawl under my desk and cry.

Holy crap I can't do this anymore. I had all of last week off, which was wonderful - plenty of time to do some Christmas baking, relax, hang out with my wife, play some computer games. Every time my brain started drifting toward the subject of work, I would change my inner subject and refuse to think about work. This morning on the drive in was the first time I really put any thought into work, and the mess that would surely be awaiting me upon my return, and I started having a massive panic attack about a mile from the shop. I've been here just over an hour and all I want to do is crawl under my desk and cry.
I'm quite sure this isn't the first time you've been told, but that's pretty much the definition of a burnout.

My dog, Molly, whom I've had for 15 years (that's half my life) just died. I knew it was coming, but it still hurts. It hurts that this happened while I was at work, too.

I'm quite sure this isn't the first time you've been told, but that's pretty much the definition of a burnout.
Oh, most definitely. I just never realize quite how bad it is until I get some time away, and then it hits me full force again when I come back to it. I think I'll actually talk to the owner and see if I can get him to cut me loose - convince him I'm too expensive and he needs to get someone in here working for minimum wage.

I had my cat, Merlin, for 17 years. He moved with me to and across Canada. I lost him 9 years ago to lung cancer and still think about him every day. It makes me sad but I'm also glad that I got to know such a wonderful cat for 17 years.

Cherish the memories and know that it's OK to cry while you smile.

Oh, most definitely. I just never realize quite how bad it is until I get some time away, and then it hits me full force again when I come back to it. I think I'll actually talk to the owner and see if I can get him to cut me loose - convince him I'm too expensive and he needs to get someone in here working for minimum wage.
I really don't think I'm going to have to worry about this too terribly much longer. We've officially lost our bond - which for a construction company is extremely bad and means we can no longer bid on public works or government projects, which is all we do. We haven't paid rent for 6 months, we haven't paid the rental on all of the trailers and shipping containers we're using for storage for over a year, and we're being sued by ten or more of our creditors. We have five vendors that we absolutely cannot afford to piss off, and so far we've completely burned our bridges with two of them. Everybody in management is still pretending everything is great and starting this coming Monday everything is going to turn around and billions of dollars are going to come flooding in - which I suppose is possible, if they've sold the company to someone else. As of now, no one believes that we'll be able to get in the doors come Monday.