Rant VIII: The Reckoning

My friend today says he hates the capitalistic monetary system and doesn't wan to be a part of it any more. His solution to this? Joining the armed services. Pretty sure he's an idiot.

Edit: That's not a slant on the armed services, just on my friend who thinks joining the army will keep him off the grid. Seriously.

I hate the capitalistic money system, so I'm joining the military arm of the capitalism controlled government.

Straight up Frank. What bugs me about it is it that joining the armed forces involves following a lot of rules and regulations , and yet he thinks this will give him an easy care-free life just because he wouldn't have to pay taxes. It also probably won't work because well...you know that character you see in some media who gets fired a lot due to their incompetence and not following rules ? He is pretty much that guy. And its almost IMPOSSIBLE to convince him other-wise!

PFFT- REALLY?! Oh my god and he isn't going into the combat zone, he just wants to do office work! Oh man I need to talk to him soon.
He will also pay into Social Security, FICA, Medicaid/Medicare, etc. even while in a combat zone. Depending on the state he may or may not have to pay state income tax.[DOUBLEPOST=1349043180][/DOUBLEPOST]Also - being a desk jockey does not mean he will avoid being sent into a combat zone.

Straight up Frank. What bugs me about it is it that joining the armed forces involves following a lot of rules and regulations , and yet he thinks this will give him an easy care-free life just because he wouldn't have to pay taxes. It also probably won't work because well...you know that character you see in some media who gets fired a lot due to their incompetence and not following rules ? He is pretty much that guy. And its almost IMPOSSIBLE to convince him other-wise!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Oh my word. I can't help but laugh at this. I smell wash-out or career military. (I'm not knocking career, but people like that either go full rebellion against (wash-out in basic training) or love the structure and organization and stay in for life) He will be in for a rude awakening just going through the MEP Center.

I just checked the NJ armed forces page, and while if he did go on active duty it would only extend the dead-line for how long he'd have to pay his taxes. So yeah...taxes are inescapable. And yes Sparhawk he is totes magotes in for a rude awakening.

Edit: I apologize if I sound spiteful about this friend of mine but he is just so DUMB!

Have you ever thought about finding friends you actually like?
Oh I do have good friends , but this guy is ALWAYS around. He is a mutual friend to my best friend and nine times out of ten when I'm hanging with him he's there. I want to never see this person again but he just keeps creeping back into my life. What is worse is that most of my friends can't stand him either so I don't know how he keeps getting invited to social events. And the sad part is, I have told him off before. I have told him that I never want to be his friend again. But. He. FORGOT! He just forgets things like that because it goes against his ego! Part of me pities him for this stupidity but that is a very small part. So I ask you people of Halforums, what should I do? Should I just tell him off again? It may not do much good.

Oh I do have good friends , but this guy is ALWAYS around. He is a mutual friend to my best friend and nine times out of ten when I'm hanging with him he's there. I want to never see this person again but he just keeps creeping back into my life. What is worse is that most of my friends can't stand him either so I don't know how he keeps getting invited to social events. And the sad part is, I have told him off before. I have told him that I never want to be his friend again. But. He. FORGOT! He just forgets things like that because it goes against his ego! Part of me pities him for this stupidity but that is a very small part. So I ask you people of Halforums, what should I do? Should I just tell him off again? It may not do much good.
Just let him enlist and be transferred to God knows where?

Some people are happier when they have set patterns to follow in life, and very limited choices. It can be care-free.
I guess so, but I'm not sure it would for him, especially since he claims he's doing this to get away from the rules of monetary capitalism. Kind-of....conflicting. Its weird because I remember him being smart once.

I hate being stuck at school all day. Not because I hate class but because there soda machines- EVERY WHERE! I just hate the utter temptation to drink it even though I know its bad for me.

Hancock Fabrics will be hearing from me.

SATURDAY - Friend came over from Bremerton. (Bremerton to Seattle = Approx 1 hour ferry ride.) We found fabric that we needed (finally) and the lady ringing us up was new-ish. At the cutting table, the manager mentioned, "Hey, this is full price, so you can use your coupon!" We got rang up, and the cashier said, "Oh, this is actually on sale, so you can't use your coupon." Okay, that's fine. Total comes up, friend pays $35 cash, ready to put the rest on her card, then asks, "Sooo how much was that fabric on sale for?" "Hmm let's see here... $12.99" "Oh, okay. And how much is the regular price? Just curious..." "Okay hmm OH! Actually it wasn't on sale! So you CAN use your coupon! So how do I go back and apply this discount now..."
The manager gets called over, and we'd been having delightful chitchat with both ladies and having a good time the entire time we were in the store. The manager said to finish the transaction and she'd take care of the refund after finishing up. Manager refunds my friend $50 on her card (bought A LOT of fabric).

SUNDAY - I receive a call from the Hancock Fabrics manager. Apparently what happened was this... instead of finishing the transaction on my friend's debit card, the cashier accidentally actually rang the rest through as cash. My friend was given back her $35 cash and then also refunded $50 on her card, so the store was short almost $90 and needed that money, or else the cashier would have to pay it out of pocket (shitty policy, BTW). I said I'd let my friend know, since I do not have the receipt. Honest mistake. We'll get this sorted out.
Well, my friend works, and wasn't able to call them before they closed. No one called me back to follow up.

TODAY - While I was at work, I received a voicemail. (Not a direct quote, but she DID say all of this...) "Hello, this is [Mimi] from Hancock Fabrics... Well, your friend never came in to pay for her fabric. So I did pay it. Out of my own pocket. $90. Whatever you ladies are making with your fabric, I hope you have a good time making it. ...You know, I am a [54] year old Grown. Woman. And I'm only working part time. Close to minimum wage. I have bills to pay. So... thank you. Enjoy your fabric."

I *completely* understand the frustration. I do. I would be upset too. But someone should have called to ask what was going on. And I highly doubt her manager told her to call me. She had access to my phone # because of my Hancock's card, but she does not get to call me on her own time in that way. That's abuse of customer information. She also shouldn't assume the worst of us and expect that we're running off, never to return. *Especially* when we were all smiles and happy chit-chat while we were in the store.
I have been in customer service for 8+ years and under NO circumstance would I EVER call or email a customer and do ANYTHING like this. I get upset customers here and there, and I get passive-aggressive tones from customers, but never do *I* react that way to a customer, whether face-to-face or on the phone. I, personally, have access to over 1700 customer emails, and never would I take advantage of that information either, BECAUSE I TOO AM A GROWN WOMAN and know how to treat my customers.

We'll get this money thing figured out, but this sales associate needs to be followed up with.
And the other gal that was working there at the time, we also did not appreciate her holier-than-though attitude when we mentioned that a sheer fabric would be lined with something that was OMG NOT LINING BECAUSE LINING IS OVER THERE AND THERE BUT IT'S NOT WHAT YOU HAVE IN FRONT OF YOU. Bitch, WE KNOW.

Yosh, is this the same friend with the thing about beer foam?
Yup. After talking with my real friend, we are both washing our hands off this schmuck. I was afraid because he's shown him so much slack in the past to the douchey friend's antics. Glad I know me and him stay on the same page.

SATURDAY - Friend came over from Bremerton. (Bremerton to Seattle = Approx 1 hour ferry ride.) We found fabric that we needed (finally) and the lady ringing us up was new-ish. At the cutting table, the manager mentioned, "Hey, this is full price, so you can use your coupon!" We got rang up, and the cashier said, "Oh, this is actually on sale, so you can't use your coupon." Okay, that's fine. Total comes up, friend pays $35 cash, ready to put the rest on her card, then asks, "Sooo how much was that fabric on sale for?" "Hmm let's see here... $12.99" "Oh, okay. And how much is the regular price? Just curious..." "Okay hmm OH! Actually it wasn't on sale! So you CAN use your coupon! So how do I go back and apply this discount now..."
The manager gets called over, and we'd been having delightful chitchat with both ladies and having a good time the entire time we were in the store. The manager said to finish the transaction and she'd take care of the refund after finishing up. Manager refunds my friend $50 on her card (bought A LOT of fabric).

SUNDAY - I receive a call from the Hancock Fabrics manager. Apparently what happened was this... instead of finishing the transaction on my friend's debit card, the cashier accidentally actually rang the rest through as cash. My friend was given back her $35 cash and then also refunded $50 on her card, so the store was short almost $90 and needed that money, or else the cashier would have to pay it out of pocket (shitty policy, BTW). I said I'd let my friend know, since I do not have the receipt. Honest mistake. We'll get this sorted out.
Well, my friend works, and wasn't able to call them before they closed. No one called me back to follow up.

TODAY - While I was at work, I received a voicemail. (Not a direct quote, but she DID say all of this...) "Hello, this is [Mimi] from Hancock Fabrics... Well, your friend never came in to pay for her fabric. So I did pay it. Out of my own pocket. $90. Whatever you ladies are making with your fabric, I hope you have a good time making it. ...You know, I am a [54] year old Grown. Woman. And I'm only working part time. Close to minimum wage. I have bills to pay. So... thank you. Enjoy your fabric."

I *completely* understand the frustration. I do. I would be upset too. But someone should have called to ask what was going on. And I highly doubt her manager told her to call me. She had access to my phone # because of my Hancock's card, but she does not get to call me on her own time in that way. That's abuse of customer information. She also shouldn't assume the worst of us and expect that we're running off, never to return. *Especially* when we were all smiles and happy chit-chat while we were in the store.
I have been in customer service for 8+ years and under NO circumstance would I EVER call or email a customer and do ANYTHING like this. I get upset customers here and there, and I get passive-aggressive tones from customers, but never do *I* react that way to a customer, whether face-to-face or on the phone. I, personally, have access to over 1700 customer emails, and never would I take advantage of that information either, BECAUSE I TOO AM A GROWN WOMAN and know how to treat my customers.

We'll get this money thing figured out, but this sales associate needs to be followed up with.
And the other gal that was working there at the time, we also did not appreciate her holier-than-though attitude when we mentioned that a sheer fabric would be lined with something that was OMG NOT LINING BECAUSE LINING IS OVER THERE AND THERE BUT IT'S NOT WHAT YOU HAVE IN FRONT OF YOU. Bitch, WE KNOW.
I love hearing customer service smack down stories.

I really want to know how the manager will react to this information.

I would just make her eat the cost. It's her damn fault and her response to the problem is to harass you on her own time. Report her to her manager and make her face the consequences. It's the only way she will learn.

My friend had this to say about it:
I'm really glad she left the message on voicemail. Because you have a record of that. I would call corporate. Don't mess around with general managers. It's not your job, or your friend's job, to come in and pay a bill that there's no record of. That is sketchy. The loss is the company's, the company has more than enough money to pay. If this employee is disgruntled, she's disgruntled in the wrong direction. It's neither of your fault's... it's the company, who's making her pay for it. Who probably makes several million a year. Can you picture the Gap EVER making an employee pay for a shortage on the cash register? No. There's a reason. That's crazy. Fire the employee if that's happening regularly. That's what registers are full. In the food service industry it's a different system.