Rant VIII: The Reckoning

In that case, I don't think you know what sarcasm means.
Do YOU?! DOES ANYONE?! What are the rules, what can we can and can't do?! WHY MUST IT CONFUSE US SO! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Seriously though, the angry capitals were meant to sound sarcastic or ironic as the case may be. Because of how a series like Level Up can call itself Science Fiction while being basically just a fantasy show. One...wonders why they didn't just make a fantasy show but whatevs.

Do YOU?! DOES ANYONE?! What are the rules, what can we can and can't do?! WHY MUST IT CONFUSE US SO! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Seriously though, the angry capitals were meant to sound sarcastic or ironic as the case may be. Because of how a series like Level Up can call itself Science Fiction while being basically just a fantasy show. One...wonders why they didn't just make a fantasy show but whatevs.
Has the show ever called itself science fiction? I've only ever heard that descriptor from you.

Has the show ever called itself science fiction? I've only ever heard that descriptor from you.
True they don't out-right say it in the show, but I think the fact that all the creatures in the show are made of computer code helps there. So, implied science fiction I guess.

Whatever, the show sucks anyway. One thing that always bothered me about the show, if the monsters are all made of electrical code....why don't they just use EMP?

Once again "Ed, Edd, and Eddy" have the answers.

True they don't out-right say it in the show, but I think the fact that all the creatures in the show are made of computer code helps there. So, implied science fiction I guess.

Whatever, the show sucks anyway. One thing that always bothered me about the show, if the monsters are all made of electrical code....why don't they just use EMP?

Once again "Ed, Edd, and Eddy" have the answers.
You missed my original point. Because something involves computers doesn't make it sci-fi. It is purely fantasy, and that's fine, because that's what they wanted to make. There's no implied science fiction at all. If I made a noir crime drama, and just happened to have every character be an elf, it would still be a noir crime drama, because elves don't automatically make something fantasy. I used Star Wars as an example for a reason. Star Wars has spaceships and robots and many things that, by your definition, would make it sci-fi. But it isn't, it's a space fantasy about magic knights.

Star Wars has spaceships and robots and many things that, by your definition, would make it sci-fi. But it isn't, it's a space fantasy about magic knights.
And "Battlestar Galactica" and "Star Trek" were actually Westerns (in fact, they are both often described as, "Wagon Train, but in outer space."), and West Side Story is actually just a retelling of Romeo and Juliet, and O Brother Where Art Thou? is really Homer's Odyssey, which would make it classic literature and not at all a story about the Great Depression.

I see where you're coming from, though. The technology itself is (mostly) irrelevant to the plot, and I fully expect that some future screenwriter will reimagine one or more of the original movies in a Fantasy setting, with Magic instead of The Force, and Elves, Fairies, and Goblins instead of aliens and Stormtroopers, evil knights and all.

Oh wait, they already did. It was called Willow.

--Patrick

And "Battlestar Galactica" and "Star Trek" were actually Westerns (in fact, they are both often described as, "Wagon Train, but in outer space."), and West Side Story is actually just a retelling of Romeo and Juliet, and O Brother Where Art Thou? is really Homer's Odyssey, which would make it classic literature and not at all a story about the Great Depression.

I see where you're coming from, though. The technology itself is (mostly) irrelevant to the plot, and I fully expect that some future screenwriter will reimagine one or more of the original movies in a Fantasy setting, with Magic instead of The Force, and Elves, Fairies, and Goblins instead of aliens and Stormtroopers, evil knights and all.

Oh wait, they already did. It was called Willow.

--Patrick
All true. And while many works can have sci-fi elements to them, I think the technology (and its effect on mankind) have to be central to the story for it to be of the sci-fi genre.

Web definition:
Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with the impact of imagined innovations in science or technology, often in a futuristic setting.

As someone who greatly enjoys sci-fi (and fantasy, and many other genres as well) it irks me to see it misused.

Out of a job again, living at home, lonely/depressed as shit and watching everyone I know marry/have kids/settle down. It would be nice for something to work out my way once in awhile.

So, my friend's cousin, who in the last couple of months has gone through a nasty divorce (after some brutal bitterness over a miscarriage) and the accidental death of his dog, slipped on the ice and hit his head on some cement steps. He's currently paralyzed from the waist down and is awaiting the results of a bunch of neurology tests to find out if he'll ever walk again.

He's one of the most down to Earth, nicest people alive. Man.....when it rains it pours on some people.

Sorry for dropping this here but I need to get this out and I dont know where else to go. This is the only forum I post on and I dont know if I can tell anyone else.

I found a lump not too long ago and I went in to have it checked out. I get sent all around the hospital area having blood drawn and some scans done. As the nurse is taking pictures with the scanner you can see it written all over her face and in her voice as she sends me back to the doctor. The doctor confirms what I already knew, it's a nice cancerous tumor. Then I get told that the surgery is the next day. I leave the hospital and head straight to my night class to take an exam. I didn't even get time to process the news.

Woke up early today and headed out. Took a cab back this evening after it was all done. None of my family or friends even know. I don't think they'll ever know. It doesn't even feel like I can cry for myself. I've always been the rock in all my relationships. The one anyone can go to when they need to talk. I just feel like I cant tell anyone since Im always the one who has to stand strong for everyone. My mom's bipolar and I dont want her going into a depression over this. My best friend is really sensitive to stuff and I don't think he'd take it well. I haven't lived where I am for very long so most of my friends around here I've known for a year or less and don't want to burden them with it. I couldnt even appear sad in front of the nurses and doctors today. I just had a nice, I'm doing fine facade on all day even though I'm anything but. I was sad, scared and nervous about what this means for my future. Am I less of a man now? Will I be able to have kids? Will my insurance cover all this or will I be broke? Am I going to fail my classes as my mind was obviously not on it the other day? Will the scans taken today show that I have cancer in other parts of my body? Will I be able to get/afford insurance after this once I leave school and their insurance policy or will I always have to make sure I'm employed somewhere that will cover me?

I've always been relatively healthy besides the occasional flu or cold. My health chart was clean before this. Now I feel defective.

Well if you really don't want to talk to anyone you know about this (though I'd guess that they'd be upset if you kept it from them), I know my college has a free counceling clinic. Maybe you should look into if yours has something like that.
Good luck.

Check with the hospital or doctors and see if they know of a support group you can go to. You need to find people you can talk to about that stuff.

I'm so sorry Rovewin, and I know we don't know each other, but...if you ever need some extra love and support Halforums is the place to be.

And if you feel like you can't turn to anyone in your life, don't ever feel bad for 'dropping' anything here.

But I am also in favor of what the others have said: Finding a support group of some kind would probably be really helpful. You don't have to be the rock all the time, everytime. Sometimes someone else needs to fill that role.

And if you feel like you can't turn to anyone in your life, don't ever feel bad for 'dropping' anything here.

But I am also in favor of what the others have said: Finding a support group of some kind would probably be really helpful. You don't have to be the rock all the time, everytime. Sometimes someone else needs to fill that role.
This, Rovewin . This.

Another take on this is that you should be celebrating catching it early. Most cancer victims (especially men) tend to put off their tests until they feel something serious is wrong with them, and by then things are usually much more advanced.

There is no reason to feel inferior as a result of your actions. When it comes to cancer, Pride can (and will) kill you.

--Patrick

Thanks everyone. I do feel better after getting that off my chest.
I'm so sorry Rovewin, and I know we don't know each other, but...if you ever need some extra love and support Halforums is the place to be.

Thanks. That's why I love this forum. You can have great discussions, joke around yet someone will be there if you need help or advice.

This, Rovewin . This.

Another take on this is that you should be celebrating catching it early. Most cancer victims (especially men) tend to put off their tests until they feel something serious is wrong with them, and by then things are usually much more advanced.

There is no reason to feel inferior as a result of your actions. When it comes to cancer, Pride can (and will) kill you.

--Patrick

I'm a very shy guy so it really felt like I swallowed all my pride this week. While I am glad I caught it early enough, I was just sad I had it at all.

Anyway I will check what supports my school has just in case I start feeling down again.

You'll just have to trust me on this, but getting it checked out and dealt with right away, swallowing your pride and all, is miles better than waiting until you feel something might be seriously wrong, because by then the cancer is advanced stage, spread, and it's too late to fix.

Cajungal

Staff member
I'm sorry, Rovewin... best of luck. I'm glad you came here to vent. I hope you find someone nearby who can talk to you about this.

Well, that's it. The last of our original three rat brothers died. He was my wife's favorite, who always got excited when she was across the room from the cage. I honestly thought he was asleep; I didn't mean for her to find him when she was trying to take him out to play.

As much as it sucks, at least things went for him as we'd hoped. He didn't get sick, he wasn't struggling to breathe, he didn't have to be brought to the vet to be put down. And we had the baby rats with him, and he was excellent with them, playing with them, chasing them around, letting them cuddle with him and sleep on top of him. One of them clung to his body for an hour before I removed the body from the cage. Even though he lost his brothers, he had a good final month and died in his sleep from what I can tell. Couldn't have asked for a more peaceful death for our best rat. I wish we'd had more time with him, but it's become clear these animals are not going to last long.

I think when the babies pass on (likely two years from now) we'll take a break from rat ownership.

And that fucking hamster is still alive! Is this thing a cyborg? He was born over a year before the rats and outlasted them all. He's still going strong on his wheel and though he looks a little older, you couldn't tell from how he acts. I wish my hamsters had lasted this long when I was a kid.

We are probably going to have to put my girlfriends hamster down today or relatively soon anyway. We're taking her into the vet to check her out but within the last week she has been gaining a lot of weight, and last night we noticed quite a bit of blood on her shavings. Also, as of yesterday she won't sleep in any of her burrows, just lays atop them. Looks like she may be breathing heavier too.

Poor little girl, I don't want her to suffer. She's been very kind and is the first hamster I've had that likes to cuddle, and the first Sarah has had at all. She use to raise guinea pigs, so she is used to losing pets eventually but I doubt it's made it any easier.

Just got back and they confirmed the worst. We took her home for now but will be bring her back later tonight. She either has a tumor or a growth on her reproductive organs which is causing her pain. Vet said she would be surprised if she made it the weekend.

I am so livid at this moment I could kill Chuck Norris with his own roundhouse punch. Over the weekend, someone deposited a dirty diaper in the middle of our street right across from where my husband parks his car. Gross, but no biggie as far as stepping on it or worrying about one of my kids touching it. My neighbors, who are one step up from redneck white trash, have put their indoor cat outside for good. At first I felt bad for the kitty. I tried coaxing her into our house. I put some food out for her a couple of times (which she didn't eat). She hissed at me when I tried to get her to come to me. Today I find that Miss Kitty has decided our lanai and the area under our dryer vent is her litterbox. I cleaned up the cat poop because it was extra stinky since I'm doing laundry. When I took the bag out to the trash bin, I found a dirty diaper on our driveway and a log of dog poop near the trashcan! I AM SO FUCKING DONE! I went to housing to complain. I know the neighbors will deny the cat is theirs. They most likely never registered her with housing because they already were at the 2 pet limit with their dogs (see the barking problem thread in the Advice section of the forum - same neighbors). Housing said they'll have the Humane Society come get the cat if the neighbors say she isn't theirs. I also know I am going to get a visit from my neighbor after this and I don't know if I can be as "diplomatic" as I have been for the last 2 years.

Don't be diplomatic, they've crossed the line, and with base housing the service member will possibly have to answer to his/her commander about issues that can be found/discovered.

Shit, just don't even bother with base housing... annoy the service member's chief often enough, and I guarantee that shit'll get handled, most ricky-tick.

Or do both, via simultaneous submissions. Open enough doors, and someone will walk through 'em.

Friggin' neighbors and their animals, STOP DIGGIN MY LAWN! I got radishes in there. Th-the animals, not the neighbors. If they did that I would go from annoyed to confused.

Shit, just don't even bother with base housing... annoy the service member's chief often enough, and I guarantee that shit'll get handled, most ricky-tick.

Or do both, via simultaneous submissions. Open enough doors, and someone will walk through 'em.
He's getting out in a couple of months. I think if we bug his chief the only person who will get shit for it is my husband.

I hate 3-D movies. I think it's a useless gimmick that doesn't add anything to a movie. My niece asked me once why I hate 3-D movies so much. I asked her if there was a single movie that, if the 3-D was taken away, would enjoy the movie less. She, of course, said no.

I say all this because, while I hate 3-D, I hate even more when I'm not given a non-3D option. I've been wanting to see Wreck-it-Ralph since it came out, but the only option has been 3-D...until today, for its 12:20 matinee showing only. Which I missed because of losing track of time doing other things.

But the movie has been out for two weeks now and that's the first time I've seen a non-3D option show up in the listings. It's fucking ridiculous. I don't want to be forced to see a movie in 3-D if I don't want to. I almost saw it Tuesday with some friends until I saw the only option as 3-D.

I will say that I'd put Avatar in the "if not 3D I'd like less" category. That really showed that it can be great if done well.

But I do agree that it sucks when it's just tacked on to make tickets cost more.

But you can still watch the same story, the same movie without the 3D. I haven't seen one yet that REQUIRED the addition of the 3D, at all. Avatar, for the most part, is a rather simple story that they did a 3D option with it to say "Look at how pretty our pictures are! Don't look at the story, look at how pretty it all is!"

On the positive note, that friend's cousin is recovering the ability to walk pretty quickly. The damage wasn't as traumatic as initially thought.

There need to be more 3-D movies tailored to the stoner crowd. Like a 3 billion dollar movie of just bright lights. It would be AWESOME! I'd see it 3 times!

There need to be more 3-D movies tailored to the stoner crowd. Like a 3 billion dollar movie of just bright lights. It would be AWESOME! I'd see it 3 times!
3D doesn;t matter when you're stoned.

I remember when either the first or second transformers movie came out. Some dude got high on shrooms before headin' in. He freaked. Thought the robots were coming after him, he was screaming they were coming out of the screen. He bolted from the theater...and swan dived off the second floor balcony in the mall.

He lived but...well..I can only imagine what would have happened if it has been 3D.

It's still a changing of shades of green/blue or green/red.

Of course, I also have crappy depth perception, but that's beside the point.

No, it's not. Polarization doesn't change the color of the light at all.

How Stuff Works said:
Polarization

At Disney World, Universal Studios and other 3-D venues, the preferred method uses polarized lenses because they allow color viewing. Two synchronized projectors project two respective views onto the screen, each with a different polarization. The glasses allow only one of the images into each eye because they contain lenses with different polarization.