Rant VIII: The Reckoning

I just discovered a friend of mine from high school died yesterday in a car crash. I haven't spoken to her in years... but I thought about her from time to time. I guess I was always hoping there would be a chance or opportunity to talk again one day. And now she's suddenly gone. I genuinely feel a sense of sadness and loss, even though I hadn't seen her for a long time. It's put me in a little bit of a haze as I go through my day.

I also can't help but note that this is the second friend from high school to die suddenly in the past 3 months. I'm too young to have old friends suddenly dying like this.

We're painting the outside of our house this weekend. We've only gotten the front done so far. I'll trade with both of you.

my office window failed a few weeks ago, tonight I tried to fix it. every strong male role model in my family showed up to help. I have been brought to my my knees by my family's kindness the last few days.

I am weak, stupid, and incapable. but still they choose to bail me out and refuse to let me sink under the weight of being a man.

Dave

Staff member
If it's any consolation, I suck at all things manly as well. I can't build anything, I can't fix anything, and I can't figure out how things are put together. So my dad & friends had to always come and bail me out. You're still a man, but your talents lie in other areas.

If they need their tech fixed, you da man.

If it's any consolation, I suck at all things manly as well. I can't build anything, I can't fix anything, and I can't figure out how things are put together. So my dad & friends had to always come and bail me out. You're still a man, but your talents lie in other areas.

If they need their tech fixed, you da man.
Just model yourself after Ron Swanson.

Found a new level of hell today...

Having my 7 year old niece sitting behind me singing the chorus, just the chorus, of "We are the Champions" for an entire 90 minute car ride home from the ballgame.

Reactions: Dei
Found a new level of hell today...

Having my 7 year old niece sitting behind me singing the chorus, just the chorus, of "We are the Champions" for an entire 90 minute car ride home from the ballgame.
My cousin drove all the way from MI to FL in a van with his dad with only one cassette, Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down on auto-reverse the entire way. He still hates Lionel Richie to this day.

--Patrick

Cajungal

Staff member
On a beach trip with my friend in high school, her step sister drove us and played "Drops of Jupiter" and the "Lady Marmalade" cover the whole way there. Just alternating over and over.

oh yeah! She did something today that was so disrespectful. The brutal part? I'm more worried for the impact on her than I am at the blatant disrespect.

I must be in shock still. No doubt by tomorrow, I will be angry as well.

Whats so bad about a group project? I always enjoy working together with people as everyone works together and pulls their weight to achieve a common goal.

I'll probably be single by the end of tomorrow, largely because I'm a giant fucking manchild that isn't just terrified of responsibilities, but convinced that I'm incapable of fulfilling anything my girlfriend wants: marriage, a house, another kid, etc. I can't. I'm just a giant fucking manchild that's stuck in such a rut that I can't see a future for myself. And why should I? Anything I've attempted has only been met with failure or disappointment. It took me almost a dozen years to get a useless 4-year Arts degree. I couldn't cut it as a teacher. I wouldn't cut it as anything I've considered in recent months (yoga instructor, editor, etc). And my books? What a joke. I'm a nobody. I can't make a living telling stupid stories about a stupid armadillo.

I'm a joke. And she'd be better off without me.

No one is asking you to be Superman, they just want you to be Nick. And not only do I think you're the only one capable of doing that, I think you have the capacity to excel at it - if you give yourself the chance.

No one is asking you to be Superman, they just want you to be Nick. And not only do I think you're the only one capable of doing that, I think you have the capacity to excel at it - if you give yourself the chance.
Apparently that's not enough. Because I never know what to do in any of these situations. She keeps getting down, depressed, stressed, or having a panic attack and I NEVER KNOW WHAT TO SAY OR DO. Which just makes her more upset.

Apparently that's not enough. Because I never know what to do in any of these situations. She keeps getting down, depressed, stressed, or having a panic attack and I NEVER KNOW WHAT TO SAY OR DO. Which just makes her more upset.
Just listen to her and be supportive. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't know. I usually just want to be left alone until I break myself out of it.
But you've come to us a couple of times and just vented. Maybe sometimes she wants the same? Just someone to listen to her vent and tell her it will be okay - and that you aren't going to be able to solve all of her problems, but you're willing to work beside her to find solutions to some of them?