Random Video Game Crap

I'd put this in the giveaway thread, but hoping maybe for a trade instead. Got a big list of Steam keys (or gift codes) to trade for stuff on my wishlist. So far, the offers on Reddit have been pretty lackluster (or not exactly equal trades).

Spoilered for size because I didn't think the link would post the whole thing.

I'd put this in the giveaway thread, but hoping maybe for a trade instead. Got a big list of Steam keys (or gift codes) to trade for stuff on my wishlist. So far, the offers on Reddit have been pretty lackluster (or not exactly equal trades).

Spoilered for size because I didn't think the link would post the whole thing.

I'll buy you Disco Elysium for Portia, mostly because I love the fuck out of that game and want everyone to play it.

How to know when it's probably time to restart your Switch:

EDIT: For @LordRendar It's a video of Breath of the Wild with one of the Guardian bots chasing Link, trying to follow him, glitching horribly, and then wandering off in a seeming daze. The intimation was that this must've happened because the Switch has been running for a very long time and needs to be restarted, like any computer.

--Patrick

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member

I'd substitute Black Mesa for the original HL at this point, but other than that... I'm finding it really hard to resist watching a Let's Play of HL: Alyx. Part of me wants to save as much of the experience for when I can play it myself, but that could be years and years down the road, if ever.

Valve left the tools to mod it for non-VR in there, and modders are already working on it, so we'll see. I haven't tried to play it because I get motion sick really easily if I'm not playing a game where I only move under my own power. (like Beat Saber)

GasBandit

Staff member
Normally I find these me-too sins channels/videos to be kinda nitpicky and pretentious, but this guy's saying all the things I've been thinking playing Doom Eternal.

figmentPez

Staff member
Random internet comment, "I hope Saints Row 5 is in the cyberpunk genre, because then it will have to be all grim and gritty, without any wackiness like SR3."

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Someone hasn't read "Snow Crash". A pizza delivery guy and a skater girl have to save the world from a virus that can infect both people and computers, and a nuclear powered guard dog is a major plot point. Hiro Protagonist and Matt Miller have a lot in common, now that I think about it...

GasBandit

Staff member
Dearest internet nerds mad about censorship, Tifa's tits are still huge.
I think somewhere along the line, people forgot how Tifa actually originally looked, and confused the subsequent thirsty fanart for her actual appearance in their damaged memory.

Yes, Tifa was well-endowed (especially compared to the other FF7 women who were more in line with Japanese expectations :p ) but no, she did not have boobs bigger than her head, as so many people seem to "recall."

Then (concept art):
1586677463197.png

Then (in-game model):
1586677631661.png

Now:
1586677770598.png

I mean, if anything, they're bigger than they were in Advent Children or Dissidia!

Anyway, I'll just have to play it next year I guess when it finally comes to PC... As it was in 97/98, I guess is now again in 2020/2021 (and ever shall be).

They COULD be remembering a few of the in-game FMVs were she's way off model big and it's noticable, but otherwise... yeah, she looks the same. The only real change is instead of wearing just a mini-skirt, she's kind of got a Chie from Persona 4 thing going on where she's got shorts on underneath her leather skirt, which sounds much more practical.

instead of wearing just a mini-skirt, she's kind of got a Chie from Persona 4 thing going on where she's got shorts on underneath her leather skirt, which sounds much more practical.
We'll know for sure as soon as somebody rips the model.
...aaaand then the hentai sites will have a field day, of course.

--Patrick

I know other people have made plenty of their own models, I just don't know how much has been made with the "official remastered models."

--Patrick

I was thinking earlier today about a Superman game. Again. And I thought of something:

What if you did it with the style and setting of the old Fleischer cartoons?

Even have a kind of scratchy animation style like Cuphead.

Picture this: sandbox Metropolis, with Fleischer-level Superman powers (leaping or flying, since they featured both). Have investigative journalism with Clark Kent. Change into Superman from phone booths.

Giant robots, mad scientists, all that good stuff. Maybe do Fleischer-styled re-imaginings of modern villains like Parasite and Metallo.

Power levels aren't as insane as later Superman power levels and it would be a unique aesthetic from other superhero games.

figmentPez

Staff member
I was thinking earlier today about a Superman game. Again.
Was that just because you think about Superman games a lot, or was it sparked by this "article". TL;DR An artist who has done concept art for WB Montreal, Dos Reis Viegas, has some Superman art from 2014 in his online portfolio, and games news is spinning it as uncovered art from a canceled Superman game, though it's all just conjecture.

Pretty image though, it'll make a nice wallpaper:
Superman video game concept art for WB Montreal .jpg

Was that just because you think about Superman games a lot, or was it sparked by this "article". TL;DR An artist who has done concept art for WB Montreal, Dos Reis Viegas, has some Superman art from 2014 in his online portfolio, and games news is spinning it as uncovered art from a canceled Superman game, though it's all just conjecture.

Pretty image though, it'll make a nice wallpaper:
View attachment 33609
Yeah, it got people talking about a potential Superman game again, so it got the hamster running on the wheel in my head.

I was thinking earlier today about a Superman game. Again. And I thought of something:

Picture this: sandbox Metropolis, with Fleischer-level Superman powers (leaping or flying, since they featured both). Have investigative journalism with Clark Kent. Change into Superman from phone booths.

Giant robots, mad scientists, all that good stuff. Maybe do Fleischer-styled re-imaginings of modern villains like Parasite and Metallo.

Power levels aren't as insane as later Superman power levels and it would be a unique aesthetic from other superhero games.
This is where I'd go "Shut up and take my money!"

If I had any, but that's another thread.

I personally wouldn't be a huge fan of that style of game, only because I'm not a big fan of the Fleischer cartoons. I see them as beautiful pieces of yesteryear that I'm just not interested in today, but I know lots of people would be into it.

As for Superman game mechanics, Superman returns: the game was terrible, but it had one idea that I thought worked really well, and that was instead of giving Superman a health bar, there was a "spirit/morale of metropolis" bar, and getting beat up caused the city to lose faith. And I always found that mechanic intriguing, because the power of Superman was never in how well he can beat up the bad guys, but in how well he could uplift and inspire humanity.

I personally wouldn't be a huge fan of that style of game, only because I'm not a big fan of the Fleischer cartoons. I see them as beautiful pieces of yesteryear that I'm just not interested in today, but I know lots of people would be into it.

As for Superman game mechanics, Superman returns: the game was terrible, but it had one idea that I thought worked really well, and that was instead of giving Superman a health bar, there was a "spirit/morale of metropolis" bar, and getting beat up caused the city to lose faith. And I always found that mechanic intriguing, because the power of Superman was never in how well he can beat up the bad guys, but in how well he could uplift and inspire humanity.
I get what you mean about the cartoons being a thing of yesteryear, but I think doing it this way would not only create a unique aesthetic unlike any other superhero game, but the power levels would stifle some criticism from those that think Superman is "too powerful" to have his own game. Which is a whole lot of bullhooey, even with a modern setting, but still.

I never got to play Superman Returns (being an Xbox exclusive and me never owning one), but I liked the idea of the city health. I don't think that's the way I'd go with it, personally. I think the core gameplay loop should be centered around rescuing people and stopping disasters. Not that you don't fight bad guys, but as the Arkham games made fighting and stealth the core gameplay, I think it would be equally important for Superman to be using his powers more for rescuing.

The only problem is, those mechanics are often the least fun in many games. I'm not sure how, but I think giving you bonuses and power ups for saving would help. Not making it punishing, but rewarding. Especially when you add bad guys and monsters to the mix. You encourage players to rescue people during battles not an added wrench in the works, but to gain power ups that help win the battle at hand.

Last edited:
Headcanon: no less than half of the e-waste in Smallville was from smashed radios.

Clark is a baseball fan, and would've grown up rooting for the Cardinals or Royals.