Random Video Game Crap

You guys may remember a 2D horror game that came out in 2017, called Detention. It's made by a Taiwanese dev, and is set in Taiwan during the period of martial law. It was fairly popular and sold pretty well.

Well, the same Taiwanese studio released another game this year, called Devotion, and it turns out there're a few easter eggs in the game that mock Xi Jinping and China in general.

Chinese netizens on Steam and on the Internet in general have reacted as poorly as you'd imagine.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm sad. Today I found out the author of the Killing Floor 2 Synthwavething map removed it from the workshop in some kind of protest this past summer.. That means I pretty much won't ever be able to add it back to my KF2 server :/ I'll only be able to play it by myself (as long as I don't ever lose the map from my PC).

You guys may remember a 2D horror game that came out in 2017, called Detention. It's made by a Taiwanese dev, and is set in Taiwan during the period of martial law. It was fairly popular and sold pretty well.

Well, the same Taiwanese studio released another game this year, called Devotion, and it turns out there're a few easter eggs in the game that mock Xi Jinping and China in general.

Chinese netizens on Steam and on the Internet in general have reacted as poorly as you'd imagine.
Taiwanese Dev has poor opinions of China? I'm shocked!

GasBandit

Staff member
And yet the biggest warning flag is the lady wearing a see-through sweater with no shirt under it and still leaving the top half unbuttoned.

Nice strapless bra, though, Karen.

(I AM AWARE OF THE HYPOCRISY of the "Be More Nakeder" guy pointing this out! Experience has taught me to be suspicious of women who appear to be trying to appease me!)

I decided to install and play a bit of the original Dragon Age, which I initially bought physically way back when. I also bought it on Steam at some point. Funny, my Bioware account no longer works so I can't log in to access all of the DLC with my Steam version and the Bioware site for it no longer works.

So, despite owning TWO versions of the game, I just pirated a GoG copy of it and installed it no problem. Thanks Bioware and your old, awkward, arcane DRM.

figmentPez

Staff member
I never bought any of the Mass Effect games because I couldn't figure out how much it would cost me to get the games & all DLC. If they ever release those games on GOG, they'll go to the top of my list of things to buy.

I never bought any of the Mass Effect games because I couldn't figure out how much it would cost me to get the games & all DLC. If they ever release those games on GOG, they'll go to the top of my list of things to buy.
They purposefully refused to do game of the year editions for exactly this reason. I doubt they will ever hit GOG though, since EA runs it's own service now.

Objection! Rule 34 existed already for all the previous games!

(Yes, I've sought out Quake rule 34. No, it wasn't my proudest moment.)

A it's surprising there are actually games in there I don't even know
B I'm also surprised how well Civ V does - though I'm not at all surprised Civ VI managed to best it for maybe two weeks over all that time.
C given that's 4 years of gaming, it also surprised me how little some things changed.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm honestly surprised CSGO, TF2, and Dota 2 have such a consistently large player base.

Also surprised we didn't see a big dip in number for any of them upon Fortnite's release.
Free is a tough selling point to beat. Lotta kids out there who would rather play those for free forever than drop 60 bucks on whatever the newest thing is every 4 months.

Free is a tough selling point to beat. Lotta kids out there who would rather play those for free forever than drop 60 bucks on whatever the newest thing is every 4 months.
Not to mention that all you need to play TF2 is something powerful enough to play a game from almost a decade ago...