Random Video Game Crap

Lies developers tell to make you feel better:

Huh... I wonder if picture 11 is why Black Mesa feels harder than Half-Life 1. I'm pretty sure Black Mesa doesn't have the "only two enemies attack you" mechanic, which makes it really easy to get overwhelmed by enemy marines when there are four or five of them at once.

GasBandit

Staff member
Heh, meanwhile, in Skyrim, only the Magika and Stamina bars "drain" normally (from right to left), but the health bar drains from the outer edges to the center, artificially inflating how much health you think you have, so there are many more "WTF how did I die, I still had half my health left!" moments when had less health than you thought you did because the bar drains "twice as fast" as the other ones.

fade

Staff member
You know what I miss? Playstation 1 era graphics. That Golf It video made me realize it. There was something about giving you just enough of the picture and letting your mind fill in the rest. Like Medievil or Sly Cooper. Those games had a neat diorama feel that made them a little spooky.

GasBandit

Staff member
You know what I miss? Playstation 1 era graphics. That Golf It video made me realize it. There was something about giving you just enough of the picture and letting your mind fill in the rest. Like Medievil or Sly Cooper. Those games had a neat diorama feel that made them a little spooky.
I think you might be remembering PS1 graphics being better than they were. The resolution was awful and the textures were hideous.

That Golf It game looks more PS2/Dreamcast-ish to me.

fade

Staff member
I think you might be remembering PS1 graphics being better than they were. The resolution was awful and the textures were hideous.

I'm more thinking of the PS1 games I've been playing on the Pi lately. The thumbnail just reminded me of it.

Some gaming platforms age well, some others.... PS1/XBOX1 did NOT age well.

Yet, I can play SNES/Genesis without a problem.

Jim Sterling has a new series called Commentocracy. He did a segment with this aristocrat character on The Jimquisition, but now it's its own thing.

It's hilarious, but I'm not sure if it'll work as its own thing on a regular basis.

Okay, what the hell? I just tried playing a game, but when I clicked on the shortcut on my desktop, it asked me what program to use to open it. It says it's a URL file. But this game - Dead Rising - I've played multiple times and used that exact same shortcut. Why is it suddenly doing this?

And of course, being an idiot, I thought I'd just find the Dead Rising launch file and use that. So now ALL my game shortcuts are the Dead Rising icon. Fucking hell.

Okay, what the hell? I just tried playing a game, but when I clicked on the shortcut on my desktop, it asked me what program to use to open it. It says it's a URL file. But this game - Dead Rising - I've played multiple times and used that exact same shortcut. Why is it suddenly doing this?

And of course, being an idiot, I thought I'd just find the Dead Rising launch file and use that. So now ALL my game shortcuts are the Dead Rising icon. Fucking hell.
I'm probably talking out of my ass here, but whenever something unexpected like that happens, my first thought is always malware.