Random Video Game Crap

After watching him play/comment in Game Grumps I realize he was seriously talking out his ass. Dude doesn't know a fucking thing about games or how to play them. I wonder what wiki he ripped off for those videos.

GasBandit

Staff member
He basically only knows about two series - Mega man and Castlevania (coincidentally the two he made sequelitis videos about). It's pretty aggravating to watch him and Jon play anything else because not only do they know shit-all about what they're doing, they refuse to read on-screen cues that tell them what they're supposed to do, they'd rather just blunder through on autopilot while they make unrelated jokes. There was one sonic episode where they spent something akin to half an hour (or maybe it just felt like that) going all over a level hub trying to find where they were supposed to go because they walked right past the NPC who tells you where to go without a second thought right at the start of the level.

That said, their Goof Troop series was fairly entertaining to watch.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't watch the steam train episode where they play FTL. I about tore my own face off.

Hey, I'm not claiming everything the guy says is true (mostly because I don't know who the hell he is, I've only seen that video.) I'm just saying that particular video is true.

He basically only knows about two series - Mega man and Castlevania (coincidentally the two he made sequelitis videos about). It's pretty aggravating to watch him and Jon play anything else because not only do they know shit-all about what they're doing, they refuse to read on-screen cues that tell them what they're supposed to do, they'd rather just blunder through on autopilot while they make unrelated jokes. There was one sonic episode where they spent something akin to half an hour (or maybe it just felt like that) going all over a level hub trying to find where they were supposed to go because they walked right past the NPC who tells you where to go without a second thought right at the start of the level.

That said, their Goof Troop series was fairly entertaining to watch.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't watch the steam train episode where they play FTL. I about tore my own face off.
The new guy, Danny, is a bit better at keeping things on track (and he's a pretty good gamer, too). Or at least I guess he doesn't distract as much as JT did. Castlevania is going better than most games do, and I honestly find the back and forth between Danny and Arin much funnier than Jon and Arin.

I find Ninja Sex Party funny. Hopefully Game Grumps doesn't do to their output like it did to both Jontron and Egoraptor.

Best controller ever, the original Dual Analog controller before the sicks were convexed and it was shrunk into the more current Dual Shock form.

Best controller ever, the original Dual Analog controller before the sicks were convexed and it was shrunk into the more current Dual Shock form.

I agree! But a close contender from before the world of dualsticks would have to go to:

Honestly, 360's controller is one of my favorites in terms of sticks. It's compact, comfortable, and the button/stick/pad placement is fantastic.

Honestly, 360's controller is one of my favorites in terms of sticks. It's compact, comfortable, and the button/stick/pad placement is fantastic.
Yeah, except that it's d-pad is, and continues to be, the worst. It's like late 90's Mad Catz level shitty d-pad.

I still dislike the PS split dpad buttons.
Better alternative to mashy gigadisc pad.[DOUBLEPOST=1379257637,1379257573][/DOUBLEPOST]
Have you tried one of the newer 360 controllers with the improved d-pad? I know they made them.
It's an improvement, but it's still the worst of the big three consoles controllers by leaps and bounds. I guess they're trying to address this with the Xbox One controller. We'll see.

Gamefly sure does like grabbing from the bottom of the queue. I wonder if it's something in their coding.
Ugh. Gamefly, while filling a niche, could stand to hire a couple of coders from Netflix. Netflix at least has algorithms that prioritize less frequent renters and the like.

I haven't figured out what the prority is with Gamefly queues. I CAN tell you, however, that if the game is listed as anything other than "Available Now", you aren't getting it. Doesn't matter how long it's been since I exchanged games. I've even stripped my list down to one title & sent my disc back & they didn't send me the game for 2 weeks. So IMO there are 2 levels at GF, Available & Not.

Ugh. Gamefly, while filling a niche, could stand to hire a couple of coders from Netflix. Netflix at least has algorithms that prioritize less frequent renters and the like.

I haven't figured out what the prority is with Gamefly queues. I CAN tell you, however, that if the game is listed as anything other than "Available Now", you aren't getting it. Doesn't matter how long it's been since I exchanged games. I've even stripped my list down to one title & sent my disc back & they didn't send me the game for 2 weeks. So IMO there are 2 levels at GF, Available & Not.
The first game I got was at Medium, but since then, yeah, Available Now has been it.

This one I have now is the last one with Available Now on my list, so we'll see.

I sold all my Steam trading cards today and now have 9.53.

I like this trading card thing because I don't fucking care about them and other people do enough to give me 10 bucks.

I sold all my Steam trading cards today and now have 9.53.

I like this trading card thing because I don't fucking care about them and other people do enough to give me 10 bucks.
Basically this. I get the badges I want and then sell the rest. I then use the profits from that to ether buy the cards that I'm missing for sets I care about or to get small stuff like DLC or keys for TF2. Plus, since I play on Steam at least once a week, I'm eligible for booster packs, which I can sell for even more cash to buy stuff.

It's a good way to get free stuff.

Gamefly shipped Metro: Last Light, which will likely arrive Monday.

On the one hand, finally a game I'll be eager to play through. On the other, I'm probably gonna kill the subscription after this for a little while, what with Pokemon coming out and the lack of games I'm interested in that they have available to rent. Maybe by February or March I'll give it another try, but these last two months have not impressed me. It's not entirely Gamefly's fault. I think I'm just coming to realize that when I throw games we didn't buy onto the rental list, there's a reason we didn't buy them.

Yeah, there's been several times lately where I've considered dropping GF. I started my subscription when I first got my 360 5 years ago. Started with the 2-disc plan, but having 2 games rented at the same time was spreading too thin, so I eventually pared back. As it stand, I still end up keeping the same game for 2-3 months at a time, which just about defeats the purpose. I mostly keep it around for the decent "Keep it now" sales. Used to be on my Game Q I could look through the list & find several of them on sale for less than 20 bucks, so I could use it as a way to snag some decent games 6-12 months after release. Now, I can barely pay to keep the game I have. Everything is "Not for sale".

To further update the Q selection - I have noticed a few times that games seemingly all flip to "Available Now" on Sundays. Not sure how they then decide priority for the games after that. Couple of weeks ago I noticed this & decided to spring to keep the game I already had at home for $4 bucks (with the $5 coupon) & strip my list down to the 2 that I was really interested in. Diablo 3 on top of the list & Grid 2 2nd. On Monday morning they flipped to Diablo 3 - Medium & Grid 2 - High. Later that afternoon I got an email that they had shipped Grid 2.

The point of using it for me was to pay $16 a month and play through a couple $45-$60 games in that time. But the service feels flimsy and I can buy the cheaper games without the subscription, as I've done once or twice before. The stuff you're saying doesn't really sell me on the service, but I appreciate the info.

Oh no, I'm not trying to sell you on it. I'm more agreeing with you that it's not as great as it might sound. Unless you're a power gamer who's not very picky & doesn't mind playing new releases in a couple months' time, it's not worth it. Maybe if I had a PS3 as well or if I actually played Wii games more. I'll probably keep it thru the beginning of next year to try and burn through a couple of the XBone titles that I'm iffy on/

Random time: To buy download or retail? Oy.

For some games this is not a difficult question. You look at it, know you'll only play through it once and then (if you're like me) trade it in or sell it, or maybe give it to a friend/relative, so you get the retail. Other games, you know this is a game to keep, one you'll love and cherish, so it makes sense to download.

But some games, it's difficult. For example, Scribblenauts Unmasked. I want this for 3DS so it can be portable. On the one hand, I will eventually get tired of this game, as I have its predecessors, after having fun with it. So retail, right? Except when I leave for the day, I don't take more than one cartridge game with me (the one in the slot) and if a casual game like that is in the slot, I can't bring something with more depth that I either know I'll trade later (Mario and Luigi: Dream Team) or something I play so much I wish it was on the eshop so I could bring it everywhere (Devil Survivor Overclocked). I know I'll play it more if I download it, whereas otherwise it'll stay home most of the time. This is what happened with Scribblenauts Unlimited. So download, yeah?

But then I can't get rid of it later. I know it's only a little you get from Gamestop for a Scribblenauts game, but still, that's that much less for another purchase.

I've already got a few games I'd offload if I could. In some cases, it made sense to download for convenience or because I thought I'd like it more than I did (Animal Crossing). In other cases, stupid purchase that I hated (Code of Princess). And then games that I thought would have more replay value than they do. I bought Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon from eshop thinking that I'd keep playing the multiplayer, but apparently it's too challenging for my 3DS-owning family and the online lobby is a fucking disaster.

So I don't know. Feel free to ignore this. Convenience vs $6 of store credit. Hmm...

This is entirely because the game companies are unwilling to charge less for downloads, mostly because they don't want retailers to stop carrying the physical copies and because hey, they can get away with it.

This is entirely because the game companies are unwilling to charge less for downloads, mostly because they don't want retailers to stop carrying the physical copies and because hey, they can get away with it.
I know. I've been impressed with the occasional price drop, such as Atlus's $10 drop for eshop Etrian Odyssey IV, Code of Princess, and Soul Hackers, though it dropped more for the retail versions. The awesome one was Aksys dropping Virtue's Last Reward to $25 in the eshop even though it's still $40 for retail. I'll be downloading it once I have some post-Pokemon funds in the eshop.

Scribblenauts Unlimited should have dropped on the eshop; it was $5 on Steam.

Hey, what's the best version of Skyrim to get if I want to mod the ever-living crap out of it later?

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
A-doy.

What I want to know is whether there's a difference between the Steam/GoTY/GFWL/GameTap/Wal-Mart versions that would make me want to pick one over the rest.

--Patrick
I recommend the Legendary steam version. You can still use the Skyrim Nexus mods with it, and you also get all the stuff that comes up on the Steam Workshop.

Any reason I shouldn't get the standalone legendary version? I'm a total novice with Steam. I know what it means as a distribution platform, but beyond that, I'm clueless.

--Patrick