Random Video Game Crap

FF13 was the first time I remember hearing that "It gets good after X hours" being so prevalent.

It was also a lie.

GasBandit

Staff member
FF13 was the first time I remember hearing that "It gets good after X hours" being so prevalent.

It was also a lie.
I heard it back earlier than that. Was it 8, 9, 10 maybe? "It doesn't really get good until disk 2" was a common phrase back when they came on multiple disks that had to be swapped mid-playthrough.

figmentPez

Staff member
This feels like something I would have posted before but searching has availed me naught.

I've seen it before. I sent this Imgur link to a friend back on Oct 11 of 2022. I can't remember if I saw it on Imgur, or if someone posted it here. Even knowing the approximate date I couldn't find it in any of the threads I thought were most likely to have it.

EDIT: I didn't mind seeing it again though. It's well done.

229 pages later and FINALLY a post that really delivers on the name Random Video Game Crap.

Because there's a collectable statue being made of The Great Mighty Poo from Conker's Bad Fur Day.

If I had a larger disposable income and somewhere to actually put it, I'd totally buy one.

GasBandit

Staff member
229 pages later and FINALLY a post that really delivers on the name Random Video Game Crap.

Because there's a collectable statue being made of The Great Mighty Poo from Conker's Bad Fur Day.

If I had a larger disposable income and somewhere to actually put it, I'd totally buy one.

Oh, that looks neat, maybe I will WAIT WHAT SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS?!

THEY ARE FUCKING INSANE.

Meanwhile I just got this figure of Triss Merigold in her DLC outfit for 40 bucks, which is way more than I usually am willing to spend on a figure...

1690412758251.png

Anyone hoping that Hasbro releasing a "gamer edition" line of Transformer toys based on how the characters looked in some Activision published games means they may be getting a rerelease is in for some bad news. Namely that there's one major hurdle stopping it - and it's not licensing issues. No, it's that ABK has lost the source code for them.

Honestly, even back when these games were new there was a definite market for retro re-releases so why any company is just throwing these files in storage without indexing them for ease of future recovery boggles my mind. It's not like it's really going to cost you anything & if people are willing to pay now for 20-30+ year old games on modern hardware then there's every reason to believe these games are a future revenue stream 20 years from now. But only if you can find the source code!

Anyone hoping that Hasbro releasing a "gamer edition" line of Transformer toys based on how the characters looked in some Activision published games means they may be getting a rerelease is in for some bad news. Namely that there's one major hurdle stopping it - and it's not licensing issues. No, it's that ABK has lost the source code for them.

Honestly, even back when these games were new there was a definite market for retro re-releases so why any company is just throwing these files in storage without indexing them for ease of future recovery boggles my mind. It's not like it's really going to cost you anything & if people are willing to pay now for 20-30+ year old games on modern hardware then there's every reason to believe these games are a future revenue stream 20 years from now. But only if you can find the source code!
Isn't it possible to get a copy of the games and reverse engineering the games?

Yeah, literally the only company that seems to care about preservation is Nintendo and that is solely because they want to keep selling NES games forever.

figmentPez

Staff member
Isn't it possible to get a copy of the games and reverse engineering the games?
My understanding is that reverse engineering games is not a trivial task. For instance, Saints Row 2 never got patches or DLC on PC because the source code for the PC port was lost (it has since been found). They still had the source code for the Xbox 360 version and all the assets that the game was made from, but even with all that it wasn't worth the manpower it would take to update the game. Fan made patches did a whole lot to change the game, but were still limited in scope because of lack of access to the PC source code or other developer tools.

There are some systems, like the N64, where tremendous amounts of effort have been put into reverse engineering games, to the point where programmers are fairly certain that they've functionally recreated the source code for Mario 64 (and possibly Ocarina of Time), but I think that's largely because Nintendo used fairly standard, and known, parameters for the programming language and what settings the compiler used. Even then, the code lacks any sort of comments or other human readable niceties. It compiles the same, but a great amount of effort has to go into understanding what it's doing before any changes can be made.

Moot point since an update to the article claims that the source code for those Transformers games is not lost.

We've never gotten a re-release of Red Dead Redemption because Rockstar was able to get that spaghetti code to compile exactly once and never again. Who knows where that source code is.

We've never gotten a re-release of Red Dead Redemption because Rockstar was able to get that spaghetti code to compile exactly once and never again. Who knows where that source code is.
Feels like they're prepping the remake as we speak.

There's been rumblings like the RDR1 achievements getting updated in the Rockstar Social Club and the game was rated for Korea very recently.